Raids good for forming party's or bad?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Rikimaru.7890

Rikimaru.7890

I know I’m a bit late so don’t tell me that.
Now the first thing that came to my mind when I heard about 10 man teams was this:
But our aoe effects stack only up to 5 targets, be it support or offense.
So this will make current meta builds which rely on buffing the whole party with aoe buffs almost useless. Think about it if you have a party of say 8 wars and 2 guards the aoe buffs will be unpredictable and thus unreliable. If all the wars use FGJ on whole party it will be random stacks, some will get more than they need while others less if any at all.
The guards will also not be able to protect properly as they can’t control who they can use their skills on, thus relying on a guard to keep everyone alive won’t be a good idea.
Unless the party separates into 2 teams but its hard to think it will do much good during a boss fight.

So maybe this is a good thing as aoe buffs will be less reliable while self-buffs more reliable. In other words it will be the time where “selfish” classes will be able to shine like necros.
But on the other hand the aoe support traits like Healing Prism or Vampiric Aura will also become unreliable – and that’s bad.

Spare me the comment’s that it never was a problem during epic boss battles for +100 players. As during those the amount of players makes the instance so messy that no one cares who does or does not get buffs. Usually it’s only about who is dead as they keep scaling the event.

So what are your thoughts? Is it good or is it bad?
Or do you think anet will make aoe buffs for up to 10 targets?
Well maybe not all but I think the trait buffs should work on the whole party.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Buff have higher priority to affect party members. For example, if all 10 players stay together, each party will use a different might stacker to get might stacks. AoE support traits will affect the party of the user.
In other words it will be 2 isolated, different groups in terms of buffs.

Posted by: Eldbrand Charging.8902

Eldbrand Charging.8902

Buff have higher priority to affect party members. For example, if all 10 players stay together, each party will use a different might stacker to get might stacks. AoE support traits will affect the party of the user.

10 players 1 party in Raids.

maddoctor.2738

Source?

According to this: http://heartofthorns.guildwars2.com/game/raids
It’s 10-player content, not 10-player party. That might well be 2 parties of 5.

Eldbrand Charging.8902

Source?

It will be an instance so it will only work with 1 party, they did the same in GW1 when Urgoz and The Deep had 12 player parties

maddoctor.2738

Source?

It will be an instance so it will only work with 1 party, they did the same in GW1 when Urgoz and The Deep had 12 player parties

We are in GW2 though… not to mention how having 2 parties eliminates the problem the OP mentioned.

Eldbrand Charging.8902

Since Raids will be instances it will not work with 2 parties in the same instance.

Source?

We are in GW2 though… not to mention how having 2 parties eliminates the problem the OP mentioned.

Raids will be instances so it will not work with 2 parties.

Posted by: Dantert.1803

Dantert.1803

I have to agree with Rikimaru, they were not clear about the 10 players instances though. I think this needs an explenation from the devs. Also having 2 parties would mean having 2 guardians or 2 war for buffs for example and not all different builds, and that for me is limitating, 1 guardian with buffs is enough. Also yeah the Raids will be instances so I can’t see why it would be 2 parties…

Posted by: KotCR.6024

KotCR.6024

Since Raids will be instances it will not work with 2 parties in the same instance.

Source?

Why will it not?

To continue using GW1 examples, seems GW2 is an upgraded version of the same engine, therefore it should still be possible, GW1 had two story missions (which, like everything else in the game outside of cities and outposts, is instanced content), that consisted of two different 8-player parties for a total of 16 players. Vizunah Square, and The Unwaking Waters, for reference.

(edited by KotCR.6024)

Posted by: Rikimaru.7890

Rikimaru.7890

Source?

Why will it not?

To continue using GW1 examples, seems GW2 is an upgraded version of the same engine, therefore it should still be possible, GW1 had two story missions (which, like everything else in the game outside of cities and outposts, is instanced content), that consisted of two different 8-player parties for a total of 16 players. Vizunah Square, and The Unwaking Waters, for reference.

Err ehm you are forgetting that these 2 missions were done with 2 parties to be consistent by lore. The first is Mhenlo and co. Catching up to Master Togo while the other is Mhenlo and Togo getting the support of Kurzicks and Luxons respectively and meet up in the same location.
So what is the story behind 2 party raids in GW2?
More over don’t you remember what happened if there was no party on the other side?
You would get a team of henchmen only as this is a 2 team mission for the better or worst.
So are you sure you want to run raids with a team of 5 players and 5 NPC’s?

Posted by: KotCR.6024

KotCR.6024

Err ehm you are forgetting that these 2 missions were done with 2 parties to be consistent by lore. The first is Mhenlo and co. Catching up to Master Togo while the other is Mhenlo and Togo getting the support of Kurzicks and Luxons respectively and meet up in the same location.

I’m not forgetting that at all, but Eldbrand’s comment was spoken as if it was factual and he was stating it will be only one party because it’s instanced. There’s no way he can make such a comment with any certainty unless there was technical limitations to the engine which prevented it (which he seemed to be suggesting with his point it was instanced), and I was merely pointing out that there isn’t any technical limitations preventing multi-party instancing or forcing it to be only a single party of ten people.

It could be one party of ten people, or it could be two parties of five people. We still don’t know one way or the other yet.

More over don’t you remember what happened if there was no party on the other side?
You would get a team of henchmen only as this is a 2 team mission for the better or worst.

Once again, I remember, and stop putting words in my mouth, I never said that that’s what I wanted. I really doubt they’ll do it this way anyway, but if they did want to they’d be absolutely nothing stopping them from requiring there being two parties entering for the raid to actually kick off, with no substitute NPCs available.

Infact, if I’m not mistaken, when Vizunah Square/Unwaking Waters were first introduced in Factions, this is exactly how they worked – you had to have two human-lead teams entering for the mission to start, I specifically remember not being able to do The Unwaking Waters at one point because noone was on the other side, so the countdown timer to mission start kept restarting, the all-hench substitute team was added later when the player population for the game in general started to die down.

Personally, I think they’ll do two parties of five that just enter the Raid as normal and are linked via the squad system or something similar.

But what I actually hope for is that it is indeed one party of ten, because otherwise all you’ll get are the usual 2x Ele + 1x Guard + 1x Warrior + 1x Speedclear Utility (usually Thief/Mesmer for Stealth/Portal or a third Ele for DPS) meta teams doing it, simply doubled over (the same set-up for each party), rather than actually giving some of the lesser-used classes a chance to shine, which would be more likely if it was just one party of ten.

maddoctor.2738

Source?

Source?

Eldbrand Charging.8902

Source?

Source?

WWW.Source.com
or you can wait like the rest of us for the release.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

You can assume that raids will be a special 10 player party or a 10 player squad (2 groups). Obviously you’ll have to be 1 group as a whole, otherwise you wouldn’t be able to get into the same instance. If you’re thinking 2 party missions like GW1, no, raids are meant to be challenging 10 player dungeons for coordinated groups; they’re not meant to be PuGd.

Raids are supposed to be challenging. It shouldn’t be hard for your group to split up and be in different locations so that your nearby members get priority. Also consider that half of the raid will likely be dealing with gimmicks, which they’ve vaguely mentioned.

I’ll take 1 player and the rest heroes, all manually controlled. That’s how I did all of GW1’s elite areas.

Posted by: Scientia.8924

Scientia.8924

We have no reason to believe raids will be a single 10-player party

If you think of every format in the game that involves more than 5 players, its just multiple teams of parties

The easiest and most logical thing for them to do is just port that over to raids

What if HoT turns out to be the Mordrem Invasion event, x100?

Eldbrand Charging.8902

If you think of every format in the game that involves more than 5 players, its just multiple teams of parties

The easiest and most logical thing for them to do is just port that over to raids

Your talking about Open World content, Raids will be instanced like dungeons and Fractals

Scientia.8924

Your talking about Open World content, Raids will be instanced like dungeons and Fractals

I said every format, that includes PvP: Every full PvP match in the game is instanced, consisting of 10 players max, split into 2 parties of 5.

The ground work is already there, the only difference would be the 2nd party flagged as allied

Eldbrand Charging.8902

I said every format, that includes PvP: Every full PvP match in the game is instanced, consisting of 10 players max, split into 2 parties of 5.

The ground work is already there, the only difference would be the 2nd party flagged as allied

NO NO NO, do not get the PvP mixed up with PvE, we had enough of that in GW1.

Scientia.8924

NO NO NO, do not get the PvP mixed up with PvE, we had enough of that in GW1.

I don’t know if you misunderstood or just missed the point entirely.

Your assumption of a single 10-player party makes no sense when multiple 5-player parties is supported in all formats of the game, whether instanced (PvP) or not (WvW, open world PvE)

Again, just like raids will likely be, PvP is 10 players, in separate instances, divided into two parties of 5. The only obvious change is that the ‘teams’ are allied

(edited by Scientia.8924)

Posted by: Random.4691

Random.4691

Don’t stack, arrange your parties accordingly.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I expect coordination within the entire 10-player raid and within two 5-player parties will be required (at least by the meta, if not by the content itself). This would include the 2 parties buffing and supporting within their party, and larger issues like raid movement, splitting into even smaller groups to handle diverse encounter challenges, etc. will be raid-wide.

Why do I expect this?

• Because the intra-party coordination mechanics already exist. Designing the raid mechanics around the existing party mechanics emphasizes using the potential already there in the GW2 combat system. One of the goals for harder content is to require the use of that potential.
  • Because changing the inter-party mechanics to work with ten players would require more work, and this effort would be unnecessary when greater complexity — and possibly depth — could be had by requiring both intra-party and inter-party coordination.

Posted by: Nate.3927

Nate.3927

why are people assuming that 2 separate 5-man parties can’t communicate with each other?

There’s this thing called map chat.

Scientia.8924

why are people assuming that 2 separate 5-man parties can’t communicate with each other?

Good point, in that case you’d absolutely want the ability to isolate chat between parties, otherwise comms becomes a clusterkitten.

For example if one party needs to works siege while the other assaults (something like Tequatl), the assault team doesn’t need to see any of the called-target spam

Posted by: Random.4691

Random.4691

Good point, in that case you’d absolutely want the ability to isolate chat between parties, otherwise comms becomes a clusterkitten.

For example if one party needs to works siege while the other assaults (something like Tequatl), the assault team doesn’t need to see any of the called-target spam

It’s 10 people, we’re not talking 50-100, if you can’t figure out if a directive is being addressed to you or the other party you’re probably not ready for raids.

Not to mention I’m sure there will be a raid chat and a party chat for those that need it. If not see my first comment.

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

Seems like a logical progression in actual difficulty to me, having to actually manage who’s in the field and getting the heal/buff as opposed to just spam it for everyone.

Isn’t real coordination and not just stacking in a corner what people wanted from raids in the first place?

As for chat/parties it makes more sense to me for it to be a single party.
And isn’t there going to be a strong push/requirement for voice comms in a raid anyway?

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

Scientia.8924

Seems like a logical progression in actual difficulty to me, having to actually manage who’s in the field and getting the heal/buff as opposed to just spam it for everyone.

Isn’t real coordination and not just stacking in a corner what people wanted from raids in the first place?

As for chat/parties it makes more sense to me for it to be a single party.
And isn’t there going to be a strong push/requirement for voice comms in a raid anyway?

Another good point, it won’t matter if we decide to get on TS (though it is super annoying with people talking over each other). Its not like they’re not going to implement a new chat channel just for raids, if not Map chat then Team chat can also be used to split comm channels