Really? People just need to toughen up

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: BaconofPigs.1683

BaconofPigs.1683

It’s only been 3 days. If you haven’t unlocked all the masteries it’s not the end the world. Just play the game guys. You can finish it in a couple of months and that’s the idea. And yes some people have finished unlocked all core masteries and most of HoT masteries.

Thank you ANet for not making contents that can be done in one day (for the vast majority of the players).

Posted by: Khristophoros.7194

Khristophoros.7194

The masteries can wait. It’s actually fun to progress into the masteries imo. It’s just really frustrating that I can’t do it as a reaper.

Posted by: PrinceKhaled.5104

PrinceKhaled.5104

Good luck with your PvE!

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Three days since what?

Posted by: AVOCADO DREAM.2716

AVOCADO DREAM.2716

Oh look another post that doesn’t address any of the issues that people are complaining about. Nobody wants everything in a day. People are complaining that it is going to take them too long to get to functionality in their classes that they thought was core in the expansion. They are complaining that a game that touted exploration feels more like a series of gated grind rooms. Do you even read the forums before posting this drivel? Honestly, I’m impressed with how bad peoples’ reading comprehension is these days.

Posted by: Mahou.3924

Mahou.3924

It’s a game. There’s nothing and shouldn’t be anything to “toughen up.” “Working” towards a goal in an MMOG may be fine and dandy, but it depends all on how it’s realised.

Posted by: Genavelle.9516

Genavelle.9516

Tbh Anet might have brought some of this on themselves. I mean they’ve been doing the whole, new LS content every 2 weeks or so- so people are used to getting things done quick, to move onto the next thing. Now Anet releases what might be a more long-term thing, but everyone has been trained to finish content fast.

I am a WvW player.
Maguuma Server
Ranger and Necromancer.

Posted by: Photinous.4628

Photinous.4628

It’s only been 3 days. If you haven’t unlocked all the masteries it’s not the end the world. Just play the game guys. You can finish it in a couple of months and that’s the idea. And yes some people have finished unlocked all core masteries and most of HoT masteries.

Thank you ANet for not making contents that can be done in one day (for the vast majority of the players).

Some people don’t enjoy this content, so why force everyone through it for a couple months to start doing the things you enjoy.

Posted by: pfanne.9783

pfanne.9783

3 days? o_O
It’s been like one and a half.
Not even that.

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

main problem is they tied mastery progression to charachter progression.

Masteries is a specific area based pve longer term progression system. Its very natural that people would get upset having to do this to get charachter progression.

basically imagine the game started where you could only level up through map completion.
No crafting, wvw, random adventures, helping friends, going to different areas, dungeons.
Thats what they have effectively done with hero points tied to masteries.

Posted by: Sytherek.7689

Sytherek.7689

It’s a game.

I’m plenty kitten ed tough. I survived a tornado that half-destroyed a town I lived in, and walked two miles on a broken leg once. I game with only one working hand. I run my own successful business for challenge. I raised three kids.

I play games for FUN. HoT is not fun.

Posted by: Cuchullain.3104

Cuchullain.3104

Anet apparently agrees that games should be tough and not fun.

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

It’s a game.

I’m plenty kitten ed tough. I survived a tornado that half-destroyed a town I lived in, and walked two miles on a broken leg once. I game with only one working hand. I run my own successful business for challenge. I raised three kids.

A sad story indeed, but every game can not be fun for everyone no matter how much endavors you have been put through.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Posted by: Khristophoros.7194

Khristophoros.7194

It’s a game.

A sad story indeed, but every game can not be fun for everyone no matter how much endavors you have been put through.

If a game is not fun it’s a bad game.

Posted by: Sytherek.7689

Sytherek.7689

It’s a game.

It’s not a sad story. How in hell is having raised successful daughters “sad”?

This game is currently an unpleasant pain in the kitten , not a challenge.

Posted by: Tetterwing.3981

Tetterwing.3981

Just play the game guys.

You don’t play HoT. You grind it! And it’s not fun. That’s the problem.

Posted by: Gomes.5643

Gomes.5643

Well, actual you can play your Elite-Spec really soon. You just doesnt have anything unlocked which make the game a little bit harder. On the other side you have the “I leveled up and got a new skill/trait etc” feeling back from the original level phase.

I personally started with a think 100 points from old tyria and right at the start turned to druid. And then unlock the spekittentle by little while playing the game.

For me the only problem with the elite specs is that the hero challanges are just some random tasks lorewise. It would be much cooler if they were actually connected to the elite spec lore. (Like helping druids to do something or meeting the scrapper warband in the jungle).

Posted by: Demandred.7930

Demandred.7930

I agree with Gomes here. You can unlock the whole elite spec in about 8 hours if you have world completion. 16 hours without then I guess. I’ll probably be even faster once guides start to pop up.

(edited by Demandred.7930)

Posted by: Genavelle.9516

Genavelle.9516

Actually, you can do unlock the whole elite spec in about 8 hours if you have world completion. 16 hours without then I guess. I’ll probably be even faster once guides start to pop up.

Because 8 hours of EoTM is fun and what we paid $50 for….

I am a WvW player.
Maguuma Server
Ranger and Necromancer.

Posted by: Camron.4130

Camron.4130

People QQ’ing and complaining is no different to any other MMO expansion, you can’t please everyone all of the time. In a week or so all will calm down, most will have their elite specs and things will be back to normal.

That’s forums for ya lol.

Now back to HOT, I am having a blast even tho I am a long way from completing my elite spec, I am not in a rush personally

Posted by: Tigaseye.2047

Tigaseye.2047

Yeah, “toughen up” peeps, play that game you paid for and whatever you do, never, ever complain.

There’s good sheeple…

I’m just glad I don’t really care about “elite” specs, otherwise I really wouldn’t be a happy bunny, either.

Even as it is, it feels kind of grindy and annoying just trying to traverse the first map!

I just wanted to tame some pets and explore…

Not feel permanently lost, hit lots of dead ends and fall into ravines.

There again, even though I play quite a lot, I don’t play games as substitute jobs.

Sometimes I wonder whether we should just leave the guys, who do, to it?

Maybe we were never meant to play MMOs?

It’s highly possible, in my case, as I have never classed myself as that kind of person.

Someone I met in-game, in WoW, said something about me being a nerd and I said “I’m not a nerd.”.

…and I’m not.

I like fun.

WoW did a free promotion, 4 years ago, BF told me about it (he’s more of a nerd than I am, TBH), I gave it ago, it was quite fun, so I stayed for while.

But, it always kind of felt like a misquote of that line from Withnail and I:

“I’m playing an MMO by mistake…”.

So, perhaps the OP is right, in a way and we should either “toughen up”, or stop banging our heads against endless brick walls and just go and do something else, instead?

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

Posted by: Doam.8305

Doam.8305

Grinding out HoT on and incomplete character same old skills same old lands grinding that old exp…

Make it to the new lands and everytime you make inroads in the story ya gotta stop ta grind them old masteries once again. The enemies over that hill simply too strong? Group requirement for a dungeon needed to proceed? None of the above as apparently mindless killing monsters in zones decided by anet are what you have to do to progress. All that they’ve promised went down the old toilet with this expac.

Also like the guy above me said this topic makes no sense the OP wants you to toughen up and take your beating? That’s more of a sheep or a whiteknight/yes man people with actual spines and adults don’t just sit and take it like a coward or spineless weasel.

Posted by: inch.3769

inch.3769

I agree

[tc]

Posted by: fixit.7189

fixit.7189

How are people getting full mastery in 8 hours, I have played over 16 and I have friggin only gotten 1/2 and that’s with 122 points to start.

I am going to assume it’s either EotM or some sorta exploit. Please tell us how to do it. All I want is my elite specs entirely unlocked, then I can enjoy this expansion but not until then.

BaconofPigs.1683

The masteries can wait. It’s actually fun to progress into the masteries imo. It’s just really frustrating that I can’t do it as a reaper.

Your fun can wait til you learn to play. You only need the first level of the masteries (usually just gliding and mushroom) to start doing lots of contents already. Just like you can’t do Arah with a level 1 char.

BaconofPigs.1683

Oh look another post that doesn’t address any of the issues that people are complaining about. Nobody wants everything in a day. People are complaining that it is going to take them too long to get to functionality in their classes that they thought was core in the expansion. They are complaining that a game that touted exploration feels more like a series of gated grind rooms. Do you even read the forums before posting this drivel? Honestly, I’m impressed with how bad peoples’ reading comprehension is these days.

People already maxed out masteries on day one dude. A slow player would take 2-3. If you’re really really really slow maybe a week? And I argue that it should take ppl months to finish contents of an expansion, not a weekk.

Posted by: Zaklex.6308

Zaklex.6308

The Masteries can wait. It’s actually fun to progress into the Masteries imo. It’s just really frustrating that I can’t do it as a reaper.

Your fun can wait til you learn to play. You only need the first level of the Masteries (usually just gliding and mushroom) to start doing lots of contents already. Just like you can’t do Arah with a level 1 char.

Technically incorrect, I know of at least one person that completed Arah on a lvl 2 character(they tried to do it on a lvl 1, but gained a lvl just from being run through all the maps). That being said, it really helps to speed things up if you use Exp boosters, as much as people may not like to use them, they do serve a purpose in this game.

I knew it would require a lot of HP to add the Elite Spec, and therefore I tried to stockpile as many HP as possible on all of my characters. Most have anywhere between 190 and 210 to start out with, which is enough to unlock the weapon, skills, minor traits and about some of the major traits…I did this by using up almost all of my ToK before the conversion to Spirit Shards. Anyways, everyone plays differently, some like and have to ability to spend hours in front of the computer(even those that work full time jobs), some don’t, just play at your own pace…it’ll be there tomorrow, and the day after that, etc., etc.. I have a saying…fun is what you make of it, anything can be fun if you deem it so.

Posted by: MrH.2591

MrH.2591

I play games to have fun, not to tirelessly repeat the same thing over and over so I can access the content I actually want to do and paid for.

Posted by: LittleSparta.4569

LittleSparta.4569

For you people that say HoT is not fun, what do you say to the majority of players who think it’s really fun? Pretty sure it’s just you at this point, whether it’s ability to immerse yourself in a sotry or experience, explore, do the story and events, have fun in halloween.

If you want to access what you paid for, how about go play it? It honestly doesn’t take ages to get a lot of the story and unlock 1 mastery to continue

Posted by: lordhelmos.7623

lordhelmos.7623

The point of the game is to be fun, right now many agree that it’s just not. Toughen up or not, if there is no fun people won’t play.

Posted by: MrH.2591

MrH.2591

For you people that say HoT is not fun, what do you say to the majority of players who think it’s really fun? Pretty sure it’s just you at this point, whether it’s ability to immerse yourself in a sotry or experience, explore, do the story and events, have fun in halloween.

If you want to access what you paid for, how about go play it? It honestly doesn’t take ages to get a lot of the story and unlock 1 mastery to continue

And who says the majority are happy?

BaconofPigs.1683

Technically incorrect, I know of at least one person that completed Arah on a lvl 2 character(they tried to do it on a lvl 1, but gained a lvl just from being run through all the maps). That being said, it really helps to speed things up if you use Exp boosters, as much as people may not like to use them, they do serve a purpose in this game.

You can be in Arah at level 1, just need to have teleport to friend but being carried and being a leech is not the same as doing the dungeon.

Posted by: MarTn.3810

MarTn.3810

Is the point to just finish the game, or have fun while finishing the game?

OP, you’ve completely lost the point of playing games, just like ArenaNet with this new expansion.

Posted by: Allisa Wonderland.8192

Allisa Wonderland.8192

Keep it as it is. These kids no not of the joys of challenge.

Posted by: TheLastNobody.8319

TheLastNobody.8319

Oi,like nothing else in this game was a grind.

A knight in shining armor is a man who never had his metal truly tested.

Posted by: Rush is Right.9723

Rush is Right.9723

No sure what the hurry is for many of the complainers. It does not really take long at all, but you do have to actually play the content, not skip stuff. Still see people skipping mobs in PVE which if they would stop and kill everything they run into they would already have the mastery finished. Most of these people must not be crafters because crafting is also time intensive but slow and steady. I think ANET spoiled many of these players as some got through the original game in three days, yet I still have not got world completion after three years so there is the difference in play styles right there. I also am not sure what the hurry is as these same people were complaining last week , they were bored and the next expansion will not be for another three years so everyone should take their time, really.

Posted by: RedBaron.6058

RedBaron.6058

The problem with the so called “hardcore” gamers is that they play the game as a profession but the remaining 99% player base have a real profession/family/RL commitments and play the game for the fun.

“Blackadder: If you want something done properly, kill Baldrick before you start.”

Posted by: Mahou.3924

Mahou.3924

For you people that say HoT is not fun, what do you say to the majority of players who think it’s really fun?

The only relevant part… And the answer is easy: If the “majority” or people in general is having fun with HoT, why should “we” say anything to them. They like it? Great. Honestly, no sarcasm, irony or any ill-intent behind it. But being called names by those people when they think they have the right to dictate how to “enjoy” the game “correctly”? Sorry, but that’s bullkitten. And always the same pathetic standard keywords with “not wanting to put effort” “instant gratification” etc even though none of those catchphrases has anything to do with MOST complaints.

BaconofPigs.1683

The problem with the so called “hardcore” gamers is that they play the game as a profession but the remaining 99% player base have a real profession/family/RL commitments and play the game for the fun.

Yeah that’s why it’s ok for these 99% of the player base to keep at it for the next 6 months to a year to finish the story of the expansion. It’s ok to take your time and enjoy the content. You don’t have to rush.

Posted by: SliceOfUnagi.6532

SliceOfUnagi.6532

Except people dont play everyday. I play it for 2 hours a week and thats all. i cant even be bothered about the elite specs or the masteries. I just wanted to enjoy the story but the story is now gated behind a grind.

Posted by: SliceOfUnagi.6532

SliceOfUnagi.6532

Keep it as it is. These kids no not of the joys of challenge.

Do you not know the difference between a challenge and a grind?

Posted by: Dashingsteel.3410

Dashingsteel.3410

“Don’t pee on my leg and tell me it’s raining” – Judge Judy

This is how I feel about “elite” specializations. There is nothing elite about these specs…. there can’t be because of pvp balance issues and more than that there would be pay to win issues(expansion vs. non-expansion players) Anet just tagged on the word elite to these specs to rationalize a hideous 400 hp requirement…. The traits and utilities should cost the same as the normal traits and utilities…. The traits and utilities should be on separate ugrade wheels just like normal traits and utilities…. also keep elite skins out of the trait and utility process.

BaconofPigs.1683

Except people dont play everyday. I play it for 2 hours a week and thats all. i cant even be bothered about the elite specs or the masteries. I just wanted to enjoy the story but the story is now gated behind a grind.

Yeah, it’d take about 6 months to a year maybe 2 years if you just play for 2 hours a week. That’ll be fine. Just enjoy the content as it comes. If you force yourself to grind, then it’s perceived grind. You shouldn’t be able to finish the story in 1 day or 1 week. The target should be a month to 6 months for an average player to finish the story. For a player that would only spend an hour or two, 1.5 – 2 years would be an ideal time to finish the expansion.

(edited by BaconofPigs.1683)

BaconofPigs.1683

“Don’t pee on my leg and tell me it’s raining” – Judge Judy

This is how I feel about “elite” specializations. There is nothing elite about these specs…. there can’t be because of pvp balance issues and more than that there would be pay to win issues(expansion vs. non-expansion players) Anet just tagged on the word elite to these specs to rationalize a hideous 400 hp requirement…. The traits and utilities should cost the same as the normal traits and utilities…. The traits and utilities should be on separate ugrade wheels just like normal traits and utilities…. also keep elite skins out of the trait and utility process.

This. The only suggestion I have for the new elite spec is this:

1. Remove all current hero challenges from core Tyria – These are not necessary.
2. Make all and every hero challenges from HoT worth 1 point.
3. You still need to unlock ALL core spec before you can unlock elite spec
4. Rescale the cost to 1-1 ratio. You need all 30? hero points (from Maguma) to unlock the specialization
5. No hero points should be left over after you fully complete the elite specialization.

This will remove floating, left over issues that create the needed to scale the 10:1 madness right now. And will set a path for future expansions…

(edited by BaconofPigs.1683)

Dashingsteel.3410

HoT hero challenges should not be necessary if the elite traits and utilities cost the same as normal traits and utilities.

Dashingsteel.3410

Why would you want to trivialize hero points earned in core Tyria?

BaconofPigs.1683

Well, here’s the rational behind the current 400 hp madness.

1. ANet wants you to play HoT to unlock HoT specs. Of course this makes senses. But how do you measure how much do you play to fully unlock the elite spec? To point number 2.

2. A hero point system like in Tyria where hero challenges are located at different places. This is fine except. Everything would be pooled together into one unit call “hero point” BUT

3. ALL hero points in core Tyria count for nothing. You have 250 left over hero points unit if you have map completion in core. => This is a problem. But some people don’t have all the 250 points

4. Hence “how do we take into account of some have little, some have all, some have none”? => “Oh let’s make all of them count 1/10 of their value compare to the new ones.”

5. Oh btw there are over 30 hero challenges in the new zones, so yeah… 300, That’s about right?

See, when you back up to an inflating system, it’s never a good solution.

So what’s gonna happen in Expansion 2? Each one of those will be 10 times the HoT ones and 100 times the core?? It will spiral out of control. The problem remain the same. Some have it, some don’t have.

That’s why the system I proposed above gives a much cleaner solution to this problem.

BaconofPigs.1683

Why would you want to trivialize hero points earned in core Tyria?

Yeah, but in a way, they are deflating these values anyway. It just makes the new system looks bad. What they can do is to make these account unlock and grant 1 spirit shard for each one and be done with it. Leave HoT hero points in HoT, that will count 1 point each and you won’t have an inflating system..

Posted by: psizone.8437

psizone.8437

This. The only suggestion I have for the new elite spec is this:

1. Remove all current hero challenges from core Tyria – These are not necessary.
2. Make all and every hero challenges from HoT worth 1 point.
3. You still need to unlock ALL core spec before you can unlock elite spec
4. Rescale the cost to 1-1 ratio. You need all 30? hero points (from Maguma) to unlock the specialization
5. No hero points should be left over after you fully complete the elite specialization.

This will remove floating, left over issues that create the needed to scale the 10:1 madness right now. And will set a path for future expansions…

That idea would probably be more effort than its worth.
Two ideas that get thrown around regularly that make more sense would be:

1. Reduce the requirement to 200 points.
2. Keep the requirement at 400 points but have traits/utilities unlocked by 200, leaving the remaining 200 for skins etc.

Brotherhood of Blub [blub]

Dashingsteel.3410

I like my idea better as it would only require 65 points for elite trait line…. just like the normal ones…. After all elite specs aren’t any better than normal professions…. balance issues