in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Elidath.5679

Elidath.5679

(fixing dat forum bug)

Reaper = Farming Machine

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

For what it is worth, “Reaper,” can mean a farming machine in English as well.

Reaper = Farming Machine

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

For what it is worth, naming “Segador” as “Secador” is alike to naming “Reaper” as “Reader”. Yes, it is a joke. A totally LAME one.

Let’s use our Grim Readers to chill the world, yes…

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Reaper = Farming Machine

Posted by: Silicato.4603

Silicato.4603

OMG…
If you dont believe me, try to do a quick google image search:

1st image on my google search for Reaper:
http://feelgrafix.com/824345-grim-reaper.html

1st image on my google search for Parca:
http://assets1.mi-web.org/entradas/0004/2114/angel-of-death-wallpaper.jpg?1329647648

1st image on my google search for Muerte:
http://hablemosdemisterio.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/mas-alla-muerte.jpg

image of reaper in GW2:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CFD_0SEWEAAtN__.jpg:large

AND FINALLY:
1st image on my google search for segador:
http://marila.webcindario.com/El%20Segador.jpg

XDDD

IT IS NOT WELL TRANSLATED. You may like the name (even if it is beyond my comprehension :P), you may prefer it over Muerte or Parca (even if I dont understand why or how), but those, Parca and Muerte, are the real trasntlationts for Reaper in spanish, in this context.

Segador has a translation in english. As farmer, as harvester, look the image. But not as reaper. Would you call reaper to that guy harvesting in its field? Im sure not. you would call it a farmer, a harvester. reaper means another thing to you in english, right? the same happens in spanish.

As a bonus:

1st image on my google search for moissonneuse:
http://auto.img.v4.skyrock.net/1243/31151243/pics/2559874011_small_1.jpg

XDD

Ardid said that we are going to make fun of any name, which yeah, i actually agree XD, but you have to agree that in this case this is just derisive…

And im not debating if the translated names are better or sounds cooler or whatever. No, im just saying that they were not properly translated. Cause the proper translation is Parca or Muerte, as you can see from the images.

And anet is paying money to some guys to translate the stuff… unproperly. Just saying.
And this is just the funny stuff. There has been terrible mistakes on really important transtlationts, and the translation department had to apologise for the confussion created and bad translation in the past. Not sure if Anet Seattle is aware of this, because of the language barrier, but i believe they should know it…

(edited by Silicato.4603)

Reaper = Farming Machine

Posted by: Bubi.7942

Bubi.7942

Dear Spanish speakers!

Pardon my little latin knowledge, but “La Muerte” is literally “The Death” right?

And I have a feeling that “La Parca” is our “párka”, and parca in English, which was a mythological figure, actually 3 (female) figures, who weaved the fates of humans, and cut the threads when it was due time: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parcae

Conclusion: Parca is female, but not a reaper, but a weaver :P

Btw: for some more mindkitten, according to the wiki one of the Parca’s name is Morta aka. La Muerte, thus La Muerte is just 1/3 Parca.

Have a nice day!

(Edit: Art classes paying off, hell yeah!)

Reaper = Farming Machine

Posted by: NapTooN.6283

NapTooN.6283

traslation is complicated. the same images aren’t used for the same phaenomenon in every language. In German it kind of fits, the “Schnitter” or “Sensenmann” (scythe man) is basically the same metaphora as the “Reaper”, but i suppose it is more difficult with the romanic languages.

the translation of “Revenant” had more people scratching their head though…because the translation of “wider” is “against” not “again” (which would be “wieder”).
So the translation of “Widergänger” would be “counterwalker” or “Contravenant”, which is in my opinion not a very fitting decription of what the class is about gameplaywise. With the other classes you know roughly what the class is about, when you just log on the first time and see their name (engineer->uses machines and tech, elementalist->using elements to attack, thief->using stealth attacks, guardian->protects, supports and guards, Necromancer-> uses necromancy etc.).
I know the German translation team did it, to add a play of words there…you know the Revenant going against all obstacles and stuff…buuuut it is kind of cheesy, in my opinion, and doesn’t do much to show the difference between the Revenant and the other classes…because the other classes go against all obstacles as well…so generally every class should be called “Widergänger”.
I wish they’d have sticked to the literal translation. I like puns but it’s not always the time to make one.

Widergänger is an actual word in the german language and describes “things” that come back from the Spirit Realm, or the Grave (“Wiedergänger” counts as the same but as far as i am concerned, “Widergänger” is the more common one here in Germany). Widergänger is often used as a substitute for Undead for example. Yes Revenants are not Zombies, but they come from the Mists (The Spirit Realm thematically) so Widergänger is a 100% fit to describe the Profession.

(edited by NapTooN.6283)

Reaper = Farming Machine

Posted by: Oreithyia.3064

Oreithyia.3064

traslation is complicated. the same images aren’t used for the same phaenomenon in every language. In German it kind of fits, the “Schnitter” or “Sensenmann” (scythe man) is basically the same metaphora as the “Reaper”, but i suppose it is more difficult with the romanic languages.

the translation of “Revenant” had more people scratching their head though…because the translation of “wider” is “against” not “again” (which would be “wieder”).
So the translation of “Widergänger” would be “counterwalker” or “Contravenant”, which is in my opinion not a very fitting decription of what the class is about gameplaywise. With the other classes you know roughly what the class is about, when you just log on the first time and see their name (engineer->uses machines and tech, elementalist->using elements to attack, thief->using stealth attacks, guardian->protects, supports and guards, Necromancer-> uses necromancy etc.).
I know the German translation team did it, to add a play of words there…you know the Revenant going against all obstacles and stuff…buuuut it is kind of cheesy, in my opinion, and doesn’t do much to show the difference between the Revenant and the other classes…because the other classes go against all obstacles as well…so generally every class should be called “Widergänger”.
I wish they’d have sticked to the literal translation. I like puns but it’s not always the time to make one.

Widergänger is an actual word in the german language and describes “things” that come back from the Spirit Realm, or the Grave (“Wiedergänger” counts as the same but as far as i am concerned, “Widergänger” is the more common one here in Germany). Widergänger is often used as a substitute for Undead for example. Yes Revenants are not Zombies, but they come from the Mists (The Spirit Realm thematically) so Widergänger is a 100% fit to describe the Profession.

Yes, the “WiEdergänger” is an actual figure of german-ish mythology, but writing it without the “e” changes the meaning, for a big part of the German native-speakers. because “wider” means “against” and not “again”. which was actually intended as you can read in the respective thread in the German forum.
Just because it what intended doesn’t mean that I or other players like it though.

In the past “wider” probably would have been more okay, because the writing rules weren’t as much set in stone, so there could have been probably alternative spellings depending on the writer, the region and the time.
However nowadays we’ve got spelling rules, that are relatively binding (even if not as binding as was the Frenchies do in that matter), and the Duden clearly writes the “Wiedergänger” with an “e” and not without, similiar to the “wieder” in “wiederspiegeln” and not like the “wider” in “Widersacher”.
Yes, it is language-historically possible, but it is unusual, and if you use the modern spelling rules (because Duden) it looks “wrong”.

How i see it, German is a very constructional language, so people often put the words together and apart in their head when reading and understanding the meaning of the single components of the word (that’s what’s makes stuff like “Donaudampfschifffahrtsgesellschaftskapitän” relatively easy for us to read), that’s why they connect it more with the meaning of the (wider=against gänger=someone that walks/goes) than with the intended meaning (wieder=again gänger=someone that walks/goes), which is why I would have find it better when it was written “Wiedergänger” than “Wi_dergänger”.

(edited by Oreithyia.3064)

Reaper = Farming Machine

NapTooN.6283

Yes, the “WiEdergänger” is an actual figure of german-ish mythology, but writing it without the “e” changes the meaning, for a big part of the German native-speakers. because “wider” means “against” and not “again”. which was actually intended as you can read in the respective thread in the German forum.
Just because it what intended doesn’t mean that I or other players like it though.

In the past “wider” probably would have been more okay, because the writing rules weren’t as much set in stone, so there could have been probably alternative spellings depending on the writer, the region and the time.
However nowadays we’ve got spelling rules, that are relatively binding (even if not as binding as was the Frenchies do in that matter), and the Duden clearly writes the “Wiedergänger” with an “e” and not without, similiar to the “wieder” in “wiederspiegeln” and not like the “wider” in “Widersacher”.
Yes, it is language-historically possible, but it is unusual, and if you use the modern spelling rules (because Duden) it looks “wrong”.

How i see it, German is a very constructional language, so people often put the words together and apart in their head when reading and understanding the meaning of the single components of the word (that’s what’s makes stuff like “Donaudampfschifffahrtsgesellschaftskapitän” relatively easy for us to read), that’s why they connect it more with the meaning of the (wider=against gänger=someone that walks/goes) than with the intended meaning (wieder=again gänger=someone that walks/goes), which is why I would have find it better when it was written “Wiedergänger” than “Wi_dergänger”.

I know about the fact that Wiedergänger is in the Duden but whenever i look at Wiedergänger and Widergänger, Wiedergänger feels totally wrong and Widergänger feels absolutely right to me when connecting both to the Afterlife.

Even the Wizards of the Coast chose Wiedergänger for their Revenant Cards, so it seems like me an A-Net are alone when it comes to the Wie against Wi debate.

Reaper = Farming Machine

Posted by: MiniEquine.6014

MiniEquine.6014

IT IS NOT WELL TRANSLATED. You may like the name (even if it is beyond my comprehension :P), you may prefer it over Muerte or Parca (even if I dont understand why or how), but those, Parca and Muerte, are the real trasntlationts for Reaper in spanish, in this context.

No, those are the translations for Death, not a reaper.

Segador has a translation in english. As farmer, as harvester, look the image. But not as reaper. Would you call reaper to that guy harvesting in its field?

Yes, a person who wields a scythe to reap the wheat and grain can be called a reaper. That’s what they do; they reap.

Im sure not. you would call it a farmer, a harvester. reaper means another thing to you in english, right? the same happens in spanish.

The issue you keep bringing up is that you are confusing a reaper with THE Grim Reaper. The Grim Reaper is Death, and he is also a reaper, but there are other reapers and they are not death. These reapers are farmers, harvesters, and they reap wheat like the Grim Reaper harvests souls.

There is no translation error. It’s not wrong in Spanish because yes, it does work exactly the opposite as you think it does in English.

Reaper = Farming Machine

Posted by: Dr Gonzo.6259

Dr Gonzo.6259

Snip.

I for 1 promise to start calling reaper’s “hair dryer’s” from now on. Maybe they will get the message :P

Reaper = Farming Machine

Silicato.4603

Segador has a translation in english. As farmer, as harvester, look the image. But not as reaper. Would you call reaper to that guy harvesting in its field?

Yes, a person who wields a scythe to reap the wheat and grain can be called a reaper. That’s what they do; they reap.

Im sure not. you would call it a farmer, a harvester. reaper means another thing to you in english, right? the same happens in spanish.

The issue you keep bringing up is that you are confusing a reaper with THE Grim Reaper. The Grim Reaper is Death, and he is also a reaper, but there are other reapers and they are not death. These reapers are farmers, harvesters, and they reap wheat like the Grim Reaper harvests souls.

There is no translation error. It’s not wrong in Spanish because yes, it does work exactly the opposite as you think it does in English.

Can you understand that the reaper, in game, is like the death and not like a farmer?
You are ussing a metaphor to call it death. but you are calling it Death. in spanish using that metaphor doesnt make sense, cause we call Muerte and Parca to the death or the reaper. a Segador is a farmer, simple like that.

If it is true that “it works” in english the same way it works in spanish, i dare you to call it farmer instead of reaper. And tell me if it works or if it is something odd.

Havent you seen the images i show before? the representation of reaper, parca and muerte are the same.
You are talking of the same stuff with those 3 words.
When you use segador you are talking about another different thing.

Reaper = Farming Machine

MiniEquine.6014

Can you understand that the reaper, in game, is like the death and not like a farmer?
You are ussing a metaphor to call it death. but you are calling it Death. in spanish using that metaphor doesnt make sense, cause we call Muerte and Parca to the death or the reaper. a Segador is a farmer, simple like that.

If it is true that “it works” in english the same way it works in spanish, i dare you to call it farmer instead of reaper. And tell me if it works or if it is something odd.

Havent you seen the images i show before? the representation of reaper, parca and muerte are the same.

I wouldn’t call the spec in game a “farmer”, but I certainly could call it a “harvester”. “Reaper” and “Muerte”/“Parca” do not mean the same thing. “La Muerta” is the Grim Reaper, not “reaper”.

This is why I am saying what I am saying. The Grim Reaper is a reaper but he’s not the only one.

Reaper = Farming Machine

Posted by: Argon.1563

Argon.1563

No matter what ArenaNet calls it, some hermit in a far-flung province of France will have an issue with it, because the French language has a dozen different ways to pronounce basic things.

Reaper = Farming Machine

Silicato.4603

And now… we have the next iteration!!

Ladies and gentleman, with you, the TEMPEST.

Correct me if im wrong, but a tempest is a huge storm, right?, with huge air, rain, and stuff.
In spanish that is a “TEMPESTAD”.

However, the spanish localization department has translate it as TEMPESTEADOR

O_o

XDD

WTF!

1st of all: that word means nothing, is invented.
2nd: it is wrongly constructed. if they wanted to put it like the person who creates tempests (which should be an invented word, cause nobody can summon tempests) should be TEMPESTADOR (or actually: TEMPESTISTA), but definitely not TEMPESTEADOR. (facepalm)

In any case the word, again, sounds odd and BAD TRANSLATED.

It should be called TEMPESTAD in spanish, or just TEMPEST like in its original english way (yes anet, spanish people doesn’t live in caves, we are able to say “Tempest” without an aneurysm :P).

Guiverno, retornado, segador, tempesteador… what else is coming? XD
Terrible marketing guys, the game looks silly just by their translated names.

Reaper = Farming Machine

Ardid.7203

Silicato. First: By your reasoning, Reaper in english is also a bad name. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reaper

Second: Do you really speak spanish as a native?
If you do, you know what a metaphore is?
If you do, do you read? Books, I mean. Do you actually use your language?

PS: I do agree with the last one. TEMPESTEADOR IS THE WORST. WORST. WORST.

Hawks

(edited by Ardid.7203)

Reaper = Farming Machine

MiniEquine.6014

In any case the word, again, sounds odd and BAD TRANSLATED, mainly cause you cant make a proffesion from a name, but from a verb. to build, a builder, to construct, a constructor. but… to tempest, a tempester? XDDD

Not to be a pain, and I largely agree with your sentiment towards Tempesteador, but consider the following examples:

A carpenter does not carpent,
An artist does not art,
A pyromancer does not pyromance, etc.

Sometimes professions have etymologies that aren’t based on a verb within the same language. While it is less common than a verb-to-noun situation, it does exist. In this case with Tempest you start with the noun focusing on what the tempest is, then you follow-up with a verb to describe its actions.

Reaper = Farming Machine

Ardid.7203

No, it is like naming them “Tempesters”. There is no possible excuse. Its plain wrong. Worst than Dragon Hunter or Retornado.

Hawks

Reaper = Farming Machine

MiniEquine.6014

No, it is like naming them “Tempesters”. There is no possible excuse. Its plain wrong. Worst than Dragon Hunter or Retornado.

I agree about the Spanish, but they were using the English version as the example. Tempest in English is perfectly fine. The Spanish version is apparently not. I’m just saying that professions in English don’t necessarily share the same etymology with like-verbs.

Reaper = Farming Machine

Ardid.7203

They don’t in spanish, either (As you said, a “Carpintero” dont “Carpinterea”). But Tempest is not a verb, nor a noun that admits conversion into a profession by turning into a verb.

The way to turn tempest into a profession, as a pure “language use”, is correct. Like a “tempester” is a correct noun for someone that “use/make tempests”. The result is plain horrid, however.

Hawks

Reaper = Farming Machine

MiniEquine.6014

They don’t in spanish, either (As you said, a “Carpintero” dont “Carpinterea”). But Tempest is not a verb, nor a noun that admits conversion into a profession by turning into a verb.

The way to turn tempest into a profession, as a pure “language use”, is correct. Like a “tempester” is a correct noun for someone that “use/make tempests”. The result is plain horrid, however.

The thing is, the Tempest profession isn’t using or making tempests, they are the tempest. It’s not a profession in the sense that " I could get paid for this", it’s only a profession in the sense that it’s a class within the game. It’s the equivalent to calling something the Fury or the Calm.

We may joke about Dragonhunter and its “high concept” name, but I would argue that it pales when compared to the Tempest in this regard. Linguistically, the verb for Tempest is “is”; it merely exists as a thing and is defined by that existence. It also needs to have skills in-game to be playable, so the concept is restricted there, but that’s what I mean.

A “tempester” isn’t a thing anyway. Just because most professions fit this rule doesn’t mean that all of them must; especially in English. English is borked, ,so expecting any normalcy out of it is difficult.

Reaper = Farming Machine

Silicato.4603

you were right guys, i erased that coment about the “verbs” when i thought deeply about it.

if you make a profession from a name, like art/artist (arte/artista), you can make a “profesion”, but you will never use (in spanish) the ending “or”, you’ll use “ista”

The “correct” word should be Tempestista in that case. But again, it is awfully odd, completely invented word, and out of translation cause the translation is Tempestad.

But there is a new chapter guys, now they changed the word
Yes you heared me well… they changed into CATACLISTA

what the hell!!???

Cataclista, i assume it comes from cataclismo (cataclism, in english). but…. why? what is wrong with “Tempestad”?
I honestly dont understand who is translating this stuff into spanish.

Cataclista, the same way that tempestista, ot tempesteador means NOTHING. It is a silly word, invented for who knows what reasons (i guess that with the only purpose to make the specialization silly as well…).

I honestly can only see a fault of professionalism from the localization department, at least the spanish one.

I guess they may feel pretty well in their position, cause i would never treat my work like that if i would care about it. They seem to not care about the game and their work.
I guess that because of the barrier language, must be easy for them to just confuse their english bosses and make them believe there is no complaints or errors in their work…

That… or worst: Anet doesnt care either.

But i refuse to believe this last possibility cause then it will be just a matter of time that the players wont care neither…
And i dont see the profit for anyone in that scenario.

Reaper = Farming Machine

Ardid.7203

Silicato, where are you getting this info? This really looks like a “Mistakes Comedy”… they are going from worst to worster… (Sorry, I could’t stop the urge for a bad joke).

Hawks

Reaper = Farming Machine

Silicato.4603

Silicato, where are you getting this info?

from meristation (through a retweet from the official gw2 spanish twitter: http://www.meristation.com/pc/noticias/cataclista-nueva-especializacion-de-guild-wars-2/2036925/2074850)

Reaper = Farming Machine

NapTooN.6283

We Germans got “Sturmbote” which translates to “Harbinger/Envoy of the Storm” so not as bad as the Spanish Guys, im interested what went wrong with the French Translation :-D

Reaper = Farming Machine

Posted by: Elidath.5679

Elidath.5679

We Germans got “Sturmbote” which translates to “Harbinger/Envoy of the Storm” so not as bad as the Spanish Guys, im interested what went wrong with the French Translation :-D

In french, they first went for “Tourmenteur” (Tormentor in english), which made no sense. Now, they settled for “Cataclyste” (neologism, meaning more or less Cataclysm-maker), which, as far as I’m concerned, is an ok name.

Reaper = Farming Machine

Posted by: DresdenAllblack.1249

DresdenAllblack.1249

Death is female in Marvel comics as well.

Angelina is free game again.
Crystal Desert

Reaper = Farming Machine

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

I see no problem is associating the reaper with farming. Proof :

Attachments: