Regeneration Stacking in Intensity

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Arricson Krei.9560

Arricson Krei.9560

With the upcoming changes to Burning and Poison stacking in intensity, it would be appropriate for Regeneration to stack in intensity as well. Of course the value of regeneration should be decreased to compensate for multiple stacks of Regen, but Intensity-Stacking Regeneration would bring more to Support roles.

One may argue that there is no need to buff Regen because Resistance will hard-counter all Condition (damage), but there is no active healing benefit from Resistance. It’s like Block vs Blind, Blind requires another to trigger the damage mitigation, and Block only needs the ally for it’s effect.

Posted by: Diovid.9506

Diovid.9506

The same could be said for various other boons I guess.

Posted by: Silhouette.5631

Silhouette.5631

Regeneration stacking is a HORRIBLE idea. There are burst heals. Warrior shouts, peoples number 6 skill, things of that nature. Regeneration can be stacked in duration, which means unless you’re boon stripped, you constantly have that hp dripping in. That’s important for classes with low HP pools because they cap out really quick. The regeneration boon is a great set it and forget it tool for healers so that they don’t have to micromanage people. They just pump as much regeneration on them as they can and then only swing back around if the person needs a hard burst. If regeneration stacked in intensity people would just look at you, realize you had ABUNCH of regeneration on you, and then instead of wasting their burst skills on you they would just hang back and let it burn out really quick.

Posted by: xDudisx.5914

xDudisx.5914

Great idea. Regen should stack in intensity instead of duration. Promotes smarter usage of the boon.

Ouroboro Knight’s [OK]

Posted by: Sagat.3285

Sagat.3285

OP you forgot to include the boon hate buff.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

Arricson Krei.9560

Regeneration stacking is a HORRIBLE idea. There are burst heals. Warrior shouts, peoples number 6 skill, things of that nature.

Yes. Just as there is burst damage and sustain damage. Why not Sustain healing? This game wasn’t intended to have a Holy Trinity and Players’ dedicated Healing Skill will have it’s place, but with this change to Regen, players will have more of a viable opportunity to spec for applying Regeneration. I trust Anet will be careful to modify Regen appropriately.

Regeneration can be stacked in duration, which means unless you’re boon stripped, you constantly have that hp dripping in.

Regen in its current state heals for pure peanuts. Around 150 per second can often be negated by 2 stacks of bleeding, or negated entirely by poison (keep in mind the -33% healing reduction along with the damage Poison brings).

If regeneration stacked in intensity people would just look at you, realize you had ABUNCH of regeneration on you, and then instead of wasting their burst skills on you they would just hang back and let it burn out really quick.

Yes exactly. Allow players to set up defenses preemptively. If an ally wasted all their CDs stacking Regen (which won’t stack in duration, therefore only lasting a short amount of time), then a smart enemy would know that this ally wouldn’t be able to recover from upcoming burst. Yes, they could use their Healing Skill, but that bit isn’t any different from the current game. If Anet balances Intensity Stacking Regen well enough, then allies who will have a Regen buff ‘defense’ won’t hit very hard. Therefore, it wouldn’t matter if that ally wouldn’t “be taking damage” for the duration of Regen.

Arricson Krei.9560

I’m confused, what do you mean?

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

Regeneration stacking is a HORRIBLE idea. There are burst heals. Warrior shouts, peoples number 6 skill, things of that nature. Regeneration can be stacked in duration, which means unless you’re boon stripped, you constantly have that hp dripping in. That’s important for classes with low HP pools because they cap out really quick. The regeneration boon is a great set it and forget it tool for healers so that they don’t have to micromanage people. They just pump as much regeneration on them as they can and then only swing back around if the person needs a hard burst. If regeneration stacked in intensity people would just look at you, realize you had ABUNCH of regeneration on you, and then instead of wasting their burst skills on you they would just hang back and let it burn out really quick.

So that is different in the boon getting striped no later than 3 seconds after you’ve gained it how?

EDIT: since when do we have “healers” in this game? Or did I miss a memo?

(edited by Cyninja.2954)

Posted by: Sins.4782

Sins.4782

+1

Sagat.3285

Boons and cleansing in AoE format are in rampage mode right now making regeneration stack in intensity when they are adding resistance and even more AoE boons and cleansing is nonsense even if burn and poison stack will stack in intensity. You need counterplay.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

Posted by: MiniEquine.6014

MiniEquine.6014

Boons and cleansing in AoE format are in rampage mode right now making regeneration stack in intensity when they are adding resistance and even more AoE boons and cleansing is nonsense even if burn and poison stack will stack in intensity. You need counterplay.

This is a fairly good point, but it does bolster OP’s argument. Corrupt Boon converts regen into poison, so if poison is going to stack intensity, it would only make sense for Regen to also stack intensity.

Boon to Condition Duration
Aegis to Burning 3s
Fury to Blind 5s
Might to Weakness 10s
Protection to 3 Vulnerability 10s
Regeneration to Poison 10s
Retaliation to 3 Confusion 5s
Stability to Fear 1s
Swiftness to Crippled 5s
Vigor to Bleeding 10s

Though, looking at this chart, Aegis, Vigor, and Fear should stack in intensity by the same logic, so I’m guessing Anet might not have any intentions of adding this…

Sagat.3285

This is a fairly good point, but it does bolster OP’s argument. Corrupt Boon converts regen into poison, so if poison is going to stack intensity, it would only make sense for Regen to also stack intensity.

Boon to Condition Duration
Aegis to Burning 3s
Fury to Blind 5s
Might to Weakness 10s
Protection to 3 Vulnerability 10s
Regeneration to Poison 10s
Retaliation to 3 Confusion 5s
Stability to Fear 1s
Swiftness to Crippled 5s
Vigor to Bleeding 10s

Though, looking at this chart, Aegis, Vigor, and Fear should stack in intensity by the same logic, so I’m guessing Anet might not have any intentions of adding this…

Stacks are not a factor in corruption neither is the duration of the boon your statement on Corrupt Boon would be valid if corrupt/condi necro(or similar specs) or boon hate are in a proper state right now they are not, neither are conditions in general, just 1 skill means nothing and it’s not even AoE. So hell to the no for regen stacking in intensity.

The Dhuumfire thread

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

An interesting proposal. I’m not sure if I’m sold on it entirely, but I’m hoping we get some solid discussion on the topic.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Tim.6450

Tim.6450

I disagree with this. Regeneration is balanced around stacking in duration: it allows some skills have a high uptime of regeneration while preventing it becoming over the top when combing with other regeneration skills/traits. Skills/classes have such excessive regeneration application it’s not funny. The balance of these skills/traits lies in the cap and the lack of burst potential.

EverythingOP

Posted by: Manifibel.8420

Manifibel.8420

What if they made duration boons stronger the longer you have it up?
It starts small, and every second it increases by x amound.

Dungeons being about how fast you clear then compared to being able to clear them makes me sad.

Posted by: Gerrand.3085

Gerrand.3085

I’d like regen to stack. No idea if it would be balanced though.

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

change might and vuln cap to 100 too?

Posted by: Achrisos.1360

Achrisos.1360

Increasing healing power effectiveness would also solve a lot of problems….

Just saying.

Jerus.4350

Just saying.

Aye, I hate having to dodge, gimme some of that sweet sweet healing.

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

Just saying.

Being able to avoid all issues yourself just makes the evil of the world look generic and weak. It’s not bad to have defining roles other than SLASHY SLASH SLASH #loot! I’d love if they could move away from everything being a silly 1 shot mechanic or weak just to accommodate the “play as you want” and beserker crowd.

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

Arricson Krei.9560

That’s a really good point. I guess Anet would have to modify skills and add more boon reaps. However, just like with stacking bleeding and using cover condis, as soon as you have all these cover boons, and you apply 1 stack of Regen to 25 stacks, the next boon reap would rip all 26 stacks of regen (unless another boon is applied).

I would think that one reason why boon reaps aren’t as prevalent as condi cleanse is because boon reap isn’t needed for PvE, but condi cleanse very much well has a place for it in PvE, especially with the more recent content. If Anet designed mob groups to have an enemy that applys really strong boons (prehaps even NPC exclusive boons), then we’d have a sufficient reason to increase the amount of boon reaps.

The Dredge Disaggregator are a good example, but protection isn’t strong enough for someone to spec boon reaps.

Jerus.4350

Just saying.

Being able to avoid all issues yourself just makes the evil of the world look generic and weak. It’s not bad to have defining roles other than SLASHY SLASH SLASH #loot! I’d love if they could move away from everything being a silly 1 shot mechanic or weak just to accommodate the “play as you want” and beserker crowd.

I don’t think you understand GW2 mechanics.

Slashy Slashy, dodge, slashy slashy, dodge, block, shashy slashy, reflect, slashy slashy, aegis, slashy dodge, slashy slashy circle around the enemy.

Active defense is what I love about this game. It makes it more than tank and spank.

The places where Slashy Slash Slash works are the places I avoid

Posted by: Windsagio.1340

Windsagio.1340

always 3 sides to this;

1) Pvp, how would this change effect things?
2) Wvw, ditto?
3) If they increased health pressure in general (which is one of those ideas floating around a LOT in these threads) would that make regen being different by duraiton stacking be more useful?

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

I don’t think it would be that bad. They’d obviously reduce the base of it was made to stack and rework how much individual skills give. Allowing it to stack allows the boon to be more flexible. Instead of it being an"trash" boon that people have up quite often in teams, instead you could have less but longer lasting trickle heals or skills intended for more bursary healing over time, such as 12 seconds of 1 stack versus 3 seconds of 4 stacks. And of course, where things stack you immediately see less uptime as each application no longer extends the duration. It would almost without a doubt be more fun to play with.

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

I don’t think it would be that bad. They’d obviously reduce the base of it was made to stack and rework how much individual skills give. Allowing it to stack allows the boon to be more flexible. Instead of it being an"trash" boon that people have up quite often in teams, instead you could have less but longer lasting trickle heals or skills intended for more bursary healing over time, such as 12 seconds of 1 stack versus 3 seconds of 4 stacks. And of course, where things stack you immediately see less uptime as each application no longer extends the duration. It would almost without a doubt be more fun to play with.

Agreed. I don’t think Regen as it exists right now would be fit for intensity stacking, but it adds design space available to skills that grant it, especially if we saw it as a facet of enemy synergy, similar to the Mordrem healers.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Arricson Krei.9560

One more thought on Intensity Stacking Regen, the base value needs to be decreased and the scaling needs to be increased. Base Values and Scaling are what define roles. To be an effective healer, one must choose to spec for Healing Power. There’s no point in including a Healing Power stat when the base values accomplish wonders, while investing heavily in Healing Power is negligible (I’m looking at you, Medi Guard and Shoutbow Warriors…).

With the proposed Core Specializations that were released, traits like Resounding Timbre (Beastmastery) and Windborne Notes (Nature M.) might actually have a place. If Druid turns out to be supporty, as hypothesized, perhaps players will WANT to choose the previously mentioned traits. Regen Banner Warriors and Regen Phantasm Mesmers might actually have more options in sPvP instead of Shoutbow or Power Shatter, respectively.

Although it seems like I’m trying to enforce the Holy Trinity (gosh I hate this term), this is not my intention. As long the stat spread is consistent, players will still be able to do moderate damage by investing in, for example, Cleric’s.

Let HoT be a passageway into more defined Support roles! During the development of GW2, y’all mentioned that, instead of DPS/Healer/Tank, there will be damage/support/control. This got me psyched for Gw2. But as most of us may know, Damage is most prevalent especially in PvE, but support and control are of lesser and equal prevalence in PvP.