Request Mob Nerf: Mordrem Sniper

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: I See No Tomorrow.7302

I See No Tomorrow.7302

So I’m not going to engage with the mess that this thread has inevitably become and instead engage with the OP

I agree that the snipers are a huge pain. Should they be nerfed? I don’t think so. I’m not the most competent player so I’ve definitely been killed a few times by the snipers, but more often than not they don’t survive the encounter.

I think the purpose is to approach fights in a little more mindful fashion, prioritize targets that could be more dangerous and take them out. It’s like the addition of menders. If you don’t target them they can heal other mordrem. If you don’t target a sniper it can kill you quickly if you don’t pay attention. I think that the extra attention that we need to give to some fights is a welcome addition tbh, it prevents things from feeling like a walk in the park (or stumble, if we’re in Orr) like the rest of open world PvE in central Tyria.

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

Therefore, I’ll just claim that less than 1% of the player population feels the same way you do, and my claim is just as valid.

Ok, you claim only 1% dislike the difficulty of certain enemies, I’ll claim that only 1% do like them, that cancels each other our, and is all irrelevant either way. Neither of us has the tools to prove any large numbers, we both have our own suspicious as to where the breakdown lies. Again, it is ANet’s job to determine how large each camp is, and decide what to do about that. Stop trying to make the case otherwise.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Posted by: Raziel.4216

Raziel.4216

Therefore, I’ll just claim that less than 1% of the player population feels the same way you do, and my claim is just as valid.

Ok, you claim only 1% dislike the difficulty of certain enemies, I’ll claim that only 1% do like them, that cancels each other our, and is all irrelevant either way. Neither of us has the tools to prove any large numbers, we both have our own suspicious as to where the breakdown lies. Again, it is ANet’s job to determine how large each camp is, and decide what to do about that. Stop trying to make the case otherwise.

Never claimed I had a better case, I’m simply calling out your baseless claims.
This is not the first topic where you somehow talk for “a lot of people”.

If Legend of Zelda came out tomorrow, the usual
forum dwellers would go nuts about the need to
“grind” to get exp, new swords, new potions etc

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

No, buff Druid healing back so we can counter their damage. … and stop QQING about our healing

Posted by: Schurge.5194

Schurge.5194

Look at it this way… there is finally a reason to prioritize the order you kill mobs in. Up until now it really didn’t matter.

Champion Phantom
We are not friends.

Posted by: Eval.2371

Eval.2371

Dude. The expansion was advertised as increasing the difficulty to bring in challenging content. On that anet has delivered some challenging mobs.

Yeah, but a lot of people seem to not like them, so maybe they should be changed.

Well I like them and a lot of other people seem to as well. It seems more like a few people dont like them and a lot, do find them reasonable/like them.

If you nerf this, then there is no reason to nerf a majority of the other well made mobs in the jungle and then suddenly the difficulty isnt there at all anymore. The point of the difficulty is to get people ready for raids.

Most players have no interest in raids. They need to remember that GW2 largely exists as an ESCAPE from the raiding culture of other MMOs. “Getting people ready for raids” is not a good excuse for. . . anything.

Well again one of anets major selling points of HoT was raids. Idk what you read before buying but you obviously missed something. The expansion isnt for you then. Maybe you should be contacting anet for a full refund because your not going to enjoy one bit of what is coming.

If you really don’t like that kind of difficulty great, there is 3 years of well developed easy base game that you can have countless hours in.

You can’t say “well you can just pay the content you’ve been playing for three years.” The reason most of us bought the expansion was for NEW content, so the NEW content needs to be for us as well.

Yes you can just continue playing the same content.

You didn’t just buy new content, you bought increased difficulty too. I hate to burst your buttercups but HoT was advertised as challenging group content, a pvp revamp, challenging raids, some new legendarys, pve story, 4 new challenging maps, guild halls with adventure and challenge, and new borderlands. Go read any of the reveal posts.

I can honestly say I cannot tell at this point if your a troll or your this genuinely disconnected. Please go back to the news sections and actually “read the box” of what you purchased.

[Cya] TC Roamer/Scout
I Play WvW to have fun. I don’t find it fun anymore. Therefore I don’t play.

(edited by Eval.2371)

Raziel.4216

^ He’s genuine, it’s not a troll.
His post record shows a history of complaining about:
- Scribes cost
- Raids
- Mob dificulty
- Adventure dificulty
- Hero point dificulty
- Precursors
- Mastery progression
(btw in all of these he talks about what “a lot of people” like or don’t like)

And that’s just the first 2 pages, if you don’t like anything the expansion has to offer (and was advertised for months prior to release) then maybe you should either
a) Research a product before you buy it.
b) Get ready to do a lot of refunds.

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

Well . . . there it is.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: FrostSpectre.4198

FrostSpectre.4198

Well, response to OP.

Because they pose high level of danger, they give CC, healing and dodging more meaning, than what the Risen do in Cursed Shore.

Risen are more like a joke of an enemy who posed big threat to Lionguard, but were far weaker than that (makes you think how capable the Lionguard is), while Mordrem Snipers are force to be reckoned with.

I’m a casual PvE adventurer, I enjoy combat, adventure and helping, but not farming.
I rarely do PvP or Hard PvE, unless it’s organized.

Ohoni.6057

Well I like them and a lot of other people seem to as well. It seems more like a few people dont like them and a lot, do find them reasonable/like them.

Again, neither side can claim to have superior numbers, so it’s pointless to try. Both sides can claim to have some numbers, and it’s up to ANet to figure out how many are on each and what to do about it.

Well again one of anets major selling points of HoT was raids.

Yes, but keep in mind that they were selling to people outside the game, trying to attract them with things that the game didn’t already provide. At the same time, however, they have to keep the existing players happy, and there have been some points where HoT has failed to do this. You don’t sell an expansion to new customers by saying “you know that game that you weren’t playing? We’re doing more like that!” You have to actually provide that anyway though.

Now, if you’re right, if they are taking the attitude of “we only want NEW players, all the millions of current players can GTFO,” then fair enough, but they should really come out and say that explicitly.

done by now.”

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

Can you, in any meaningful way, define “a lot”? Also, can you, in any meaningful way, explain why your “a lot” should get their way while our “a lot” should not? Your argument has been that ANet should listen to you because you want it your way and there are “a lot” of you. But you haven’t, at any point, explained why your “a lot” constitutes a more important sub section of the population than those who like it as is.

You’ve said that if the difficulty isn’t reduced your “a lot” would leave because it’s too hard and you don’t like it. But I can also say that if the difficulty is reduced my “a lot” would leave because it’s too easy and the whole point was for it to be challenging.

Why is your opinion somehow more important than ours? Because that has been my only take away from all of your arguments. It doesn’t matter how many people like the content as is, you don’t so it should be changed to accommodate your preferences.

I will be so kind as to answer my own question, though, from our side. All things being equal, challenging content was ANet’s design intent, therefore the opinion of those who like the content as is holds greater weight because it falls in line with ANet’s original plan.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: Misguided.5139

Misguided.5139

But . . . the sniper pretty much telegraphs all his moves. The crosshairs tell you to get ready to dodge or hide behind something. Also, the lines on the ground should be avoid or hopped over.

The snipers are nothing. Now those little raptors, rolling devils, and chak with their glue of instant death if you’re not careful?

That can be a problem.

Yeah, snipers are actually one of the easier enemies to deal with, but at the same time, they can make fights more…interesting. The times when snipers are most dangerous are when you are preoccupied with something else and don’t realize they are there. But if I get jumped by one, I feel like that was my own fault for not being aware of my surroundings.

Raziel.4216

How can you claim raids were sold to new players? Challenging group content came up in CDIs, they sold it to us because we asked for it.
I wonder what your next lie’s going to be.

Posted by: Osu.6307

Osu.6307

One or two at a time, they are no problem. The problem occurs in the event chains when you get 4-5 appearing out of thin air in a confined space laying down so many of those fire lines that there is no safe place to stand. Some of the events in VB I just stopped doing because unless you have a group of 10 players, you’ll wipe.

Osu

Posted by: Inverse.2967

Inverse.2967

I have come under the impression that Mordrem Snipers seem to be extremely frail when you interrupt them while taking aim….

Ohoni.6057

I’m no longer going to engage with the “numbers trolls.” If you do not believe this is an issue cared about by an amount of players worth worrying about then I can’t convince you otherwise. Of course if you truly did believe that then you wouldn’t be making a mess of yourselves trying to shut people up about it, so I think we have our answer on that one. If you want to engage in actual discussion on the issue, then I’m open to it, but if all you have to say is “post spreadsheets” then I have nothing for you, and that does not bother me.

How can you claim raids were sold to new players? Challenging group content came up in CDIs, they sold it to us because we asked for it.

SOME members of the community asked for it. Plenty of others at the time were very negative about exactly what we got, elitist rewards, elitist content, inter-player strife over these things, etc. You cannot for a second claim that raids were designed to support the consensus of the players, just a vocal minority of them. If GW2 players genuinely cared about raids, then they wouldn’t still be playing GW2.

done by now.”

Posted by: Klipso.8653

Klipso.8653

As a full on tank spec guardian, these things can take 80% of my health if they hit me without a block up

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

I’m no longer going to engage with the “numbers trolls.”

Apparently any counter claim to your assertion is now trolling ?

Good to know.

The entire thread is a poor display of players not adapting to harder AI and learning the fights.
You’ve been given countless tips and tricks to deal with them, use them.

Raziel.4216

Anyone who counters onohi’s claims or asks why “his lot” of people are somehow special (which is pretty much the whole basis for his argument) is a troll.

Always goes like this:

Onohi: a lot of people don’t like this
Anyone else: who’s this lot of people?
Onohi: I’ll ignore those trolls.

I’m no longer going to engage with the “numbers trolls.” If you do not believe this is an issue cared about by an amount of players worth worrying about then I can’t convince you otherwise.

Oh but you can, easily, you see the rest of us here don’t have a magic ball so we don’t know what “a lot” of people want, but you always do (or at least in every whining topic mentioned in my previous post), so maybe you should share one of your sources.

Plenty of others at the time were very negative about exactly what we got, elitist rewards, elitist content, inter-player strife over these things, etc.

Arenanet clearly said that raids are not for everyone, this is part of the design it’s the HARDCORE content asked for in CDIs of course someone’s not going to like it. But once again your argument falls into the “my lot is special” kind so will you, – for the first time – provide a valid source for the “lot” of people who agree with you?

(edited by Raziel.4216)

Posted by: McWolfy.5924

McWolfy.5924

Pls dont nerf this minimal challenge from pve

WSR→Piken→Deso→Piken→FSP→Deso
Just the WvW
R3200+

Posted by: That Guy.5704

That Guy.5704

snipers are a pain. Snipers force battlefield awareness, use of interrupts, CC, gap closers, and knowing how to spike damage. Those are all good things, leave them alone.

Posted by: Preserver.8457

Preserver.8457

I’m no longer going to engage with the “numbers trolls.” If you do not believe this is an issue cared about by an amount of players worth worrying about then I can’t convince you otherwise. Of course if you truly did believe that then you wouldn’t be making a mess of yourselves trying to shut people up about it, so I think we have our answer on that one. If you want to engage in actual discussion on the issue, then I’m open to it, but if all you have to say is “post spreadsheets” then I have nothing for you, and that does not bother me.

Thank you, Ohoni, for your patience in this thread, and for speaking up for those of us who do not have the patience to explain the same things over and over again in a calm manner. Your efforts are, in fact, very appreciated (and upvoted).

Posted by: Unknown.3976

Unknown.3976

The main issue lies with scaling and the spawn numbers; It can be problematic on certain Meta, as evident in the dragon stand spitfire event; throwing a champ sniper + several elite snipers and vets snipers into the fray does not make for an entertaining fight, players just view them as distractions and rather not deal with the them. Regular snipers are fine since they can be bursted down with ease but the elite and champ variant can be overwhelming at times, moreso if you’re engaging them in tight confined areas (pale reaver event).

And oh, they can attack while stealth-ed which makes the champ and elite variant all the more annoying to deal with, champs and elites can’t be bursted down and they deal a ginormous amount of dmg while invisible. Challenging? Certainly. Rewarding and fun? Nope.

Posted by: Kanto.1659

Kanto.1659

Champ snipers are a nightmare. Elites are something to be rightfully feared, but to be honest even veteran snipers can easily kill groups. This happens all the time in Tarir where people ignore them (I find myself killing them alone, and it takes for ever since veteran mobs there seem to have double the HP despite only being level 80).

People ignore them, and the elite frogs, because they can be ignored since they are moving around, but once it comes to the octovine vulnerable phase both the snipers and the elite frogs can and do wipe groups without a problem.

But with some practice you’ll come to realize they are not that problem. Just strafing makes them miss the firey line on the ground. They will shoot three arrows in a row and those needed to be dodged. They will run in our direction and do a knockback kick but it’s not particularly dangerous. The danger lies in ignoring them when they stealth to go hit something else or forget that they exist.

(edited by Kanto.1659)

Ohoni.6057

Apparently any counter claim to your assertion is now trolling ?

Of course not. It’s just a special sort of trolling people do when they feel they aren’t getting their way, they just keep demanding, over and over again, that the other person do a bunch of research for them. “Provide numbers,” “Do a detailed scientific poll of the community and provide results!” Etc. People provide what data they have available, if that data is insufficient to convince you, then feel free to stay unconvinced, nobody actually cares whether you’re convinced or not, but other players are not your research interns, if you want more data one the subject, find it yourself, don’t demand it of other players.

The main issue lies with scaling and the spawn numbers; It can be problematic on certain Meta, as evident in the dragon stand spitfire event; throwing a champ sniper + several elite snipers and vets snipers into the fray does not make for an entertaining fight, players just view them as distractions and rather not deal with the them.

Yes, I actually did the Dragons Stand event for the first time tonight (I’d been doing a lot of other stuff, but since DS is a map with no real purpose other than to do the meta, I hadn’t really bothered with it before now). It was fun, but there were portions where basically the entire floor was sniper lines, and what weren’t sniper lines were Punisher arcs. I mean, I was doing ok, since my DD could triple-dodge and vault all over the place, but even so it was a real hassle and people were dropping left and right. There were also the champ sniper firelines, which seemed to OHKO+Finish if you even warmed your hands on them.

I still think this effect is more cheap than it is fun, and that both their damage and duration should be decreased significantly. If they still want to keep the mobs challenging, give them more damaging single shot attacks to add to their repertoire, but the existing combination of moves is just annoying to put up with.

But with some practice you’ll come to realize they are not that problem. Just strafing makes them miss the firey line on the ground.

I’m rarely pegged by the fire lines directly, so avoiding them isn’t the issue, the issue is that the remain lethal for something like 10s+, and when there are multiple ones the screen just becomes cluttered with “do not touch or you will die.” This is acceptable for a boss fight like the Wyverns, but should not be a factor for such base-level mobs. It’s also a bit of a problem since they are AI-driven individuals, that in a Wyvern fight, they know how many flame/poison pools the mob will generate and place them in a way that keeps you moving, but is never impossible. When you have a half-dozen or more snipers, all firing at any of three dozen randomly scurrying players, you can quickly end up in situations where nowhere nearby is safe, and the mobs cannot be meleed because they are surrounded by death.

You know, that might be one solution to this whole issue, just turn on friendly fire for the Snipers. Make it so that their fire fields can hurt other Mordrem, or even themselves. That’d make them more friend than foe in large scale battles, kite the Axeman through a few of those and he’d be dead in seconds.

done by now.”

Posted by: SirDrygan.1823

SirDrygan.1823

They aren’t impossible, but they are significantly overpowered compared to their melee counterparts. Their ground DoT (fiery line) took out 5 people simultaneously in an event chain, and both me and the dude dead next to me said “they should probably bump down that sniper damage a bit” at the same time.

It’s good and all, but snipers really stick out a lot. Not to mention they are absurdly tanky for the damage they put out. I usually keep an eye out for them and kill them asap but if they aggro and do their initial snipe shot (which already takes out just under half HP even in soldier’s gear) then drop a line and you just barely don’t catch the fire line animation that follows, you’re going down.

idk, kind of curious what other players have noticed with them. Perhaps they’re there to provide a challenge, but all it takes is one of those buggers to drop a line and poof, gobs of players go down hard.

No. No nerfing. If you cannot even dodge that line, then you have some learning to play issues. I have died like 100 or more times to multiple snipers. Now I know how to whack them hard and I make a beeline for the snipers first and take them down first…… and I am using a glass to fight. So, L2P. :P

Posted by: FogLeg.9354

FogLeg.9354

The whole HoT area is designed to make sure players never really want to go there. With the confusing layout and long empty paths that get you nowhere. With areas that simply kill you because you have not reached mastery XX in specific line. And the enemies, all those enemies that have godly skills and mechanics never before seen in other game areas. As a player you can feel the hatred from developers, you can sense the joy game designers get from punishing the customers and how much time they have spent figuring out endless ways to make you miserable.

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

I honestly wouldn’t mind if they buffed snipers substantially. It doesn’t matter, the goal is to get you to dodge a single, massively telegraphed attack that a toddler could see coming. You’re not supposed to stand in it.

Increasing sniper damage 400% is fine.

Posted by: fireflyry.7023

fireflyry.7023

I like the snipers.

They keep me on my toes and kill me all the time but that’s what I wanted from this expansion. Content that beats me to a pulp.

No more friggin nerfs thx.

If your having adventurer problems I feel bad for you son, I dodged 99 arrows till my knee took one.

Posted by: Notsoperky.2348

Notsoperky.2348

Snipers aren’t that bad if you have any room, or if there isn’t a bunch of them with a vet in. As a light armor user they can be a real pain, especially as they mostly ignore phantasms and always seem to target you.

The real pain is the mushrooms, that leap on you, cripple you, then blast on your head, making it impossible to dodge or get away when all you want to do is get back to the area you just fell from or just missed the 987th JP section on whilst trying to fight a champ in an enclosed area on a ranged class.

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

I honestly wouldn’t mind if they buffed snipers substantially. It doesn’t matter, the goal is to get you to dodge a single, massively telegraphed attack that a toddler could see coming. You’re not supposed to stand in it.

Increasing sniper damage 400% is fine.

Well if you actually played the game, you’d know that in the big events, 9 times out of 10 you get a line or two placed under you without any telegraph because only one player out of your zerk got the telegraph icon :o

And an Elite or Champion burn line is some pain.

Ohoni.6057

Again, I don’t think anyone is bothered about dodging the single shot, especially not if they are the only mob you have to pay attention to. But if there are multiple snipers, a dozen other mobs making other attacks, a boss that is potentially a lot more dangerous, dozens of other players launching their spell effects and pulling agro in various directions, and screen lag caused by all of this and the lovely terrain, then maaaaybe it’s not so easy to completely avoid the shot.

And again, even given all that, the issue is not that they have a “headshot” style, “get hit by it once and you’ll die,” it’s that this effect persists for around ten seconds after they fire, meaning if you have any reason to be on the other side than the one you’re on, you have to burn a dodge, or another evade type move, and if there are multiples of these lines, you might evade through one and end up in another, or you might not be able to use your evade to avoid a boss telegraph because it’ll leave you in the fire, etc.

It is not that these effects are “too powerful for any mob to have, ever,” it’s that they are too powerful to appear on a standard level mob in their current form. There is a certain boss with these same effects and I’m totally fine with it there, but it’s not something normal mobs should have in such powerful measure.

Really, the more people who chime in that this is “no big deal,” the more I question whether they are actually spending any time in the new content, or whether they just fought a few Snipers in Verdant Brink 1v1 and decided they weren’t bothered.

They keep me on my toes and kill me all the time but that’s what I wanted from this expansion. Content that beats me to a pulp.

To each his own, but can you understand that someone who doesn’t enjoy self-pain might not appreciate it as much? If that’s the experience you want, then might I suggest just removing your armor, and allowing the rest of us to also have fun?

done by now.”

Posted by: HtFde.3856

HtFde.3856

Agreed with the OP. “Learn to play” people, if you don’t have a problem with the snipers, then that’s fine, but stop dismissing the reports from people who do.

They aren’t really dismissing them….. just telling them to get better. Other people can do it, why can’t they?

Because people so often think that their playstyle is what everone is is doing. So people run in a group and go “Hey, snipers are easy mode” because everything is focusing on different players. If they never played solo – especially the events in Auric Basin – the ynever encounter the problem of having 3 or 4 groups of “normal zone enemies” – especially pocket raptors and those rolling thingies coupled with 6 – 10 enemies that spawn in for the event. And no – I am not talking about group events, that’s a “normal” event in Auric Basin.

And while it is one thing to doge a few enemies that aren’t even focusing on you and take out 2 snipers it is quite another to be the single point of interest of 10+ enemies, 6 of which have a neverending supply of knockdowns and those 2 snipers that fire just when you hit the ground. QUITE a different experience.

The usual reply to this is “then don’t play solo, play in groups” and in another post those people write “it is quite soloable” – which is a conclusion drawn from the fact that they did a part of the story solo, which isn’t even remotely what “solo play” means.

Yeah … you’ll always have the “Works For Me”™ guys who are completely incapable of seeing problems other people have because they play in different locations, not with a zerg, etc. and conculde that those people are “doing it wrong” and that they must l2p.

PMI – Dzagonur Rallybot :)

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

The whole HoT area is designed to make sure players never really want to go there. With the confusing layout and long empty paths that get you nowhere. With areas that simply kill you because you have not reached mastery XX in specific line. And the enemies, all those enemies that have godly skills and mechanics never before seen in other game areas. As a player you can feel the hatred from developers, you can sense the joy game designers get from punishing the customers and how much time they have spent figuring out endless ways to make you miserable.

If you feel miserable when challenged, why do you play computer games? Why not just grind FarmVille 2 or watch TV if all you want is to see stuff move on the screen and not having to worry about getting “killed”?

One – Piken Square

Ohoni.6057

If you feel miserable when challenged, why do you play computer games? Why not just grind FarmVille 2 or watch TV if all you want is to see stuff move on the screen and not having to worry about getting “killed”?

For reasons that you don’t have to agree with or understand, but are equally valid as any reasons you might have to play games. Done.

done by now.”

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

For reasons that you don’t have to agree with or understand, but are equally valid as any reasons you might have to play games. Done.

then why not play the suggested “game” and similar instead of insisting to change GW2?

Ohoni.6057

then why not play the suggested “game” and similar instead of insisting to change GW2?

Yes, exactly. For people who didn’t find the content of GW2 “challenging enough” for their tastes, why ruin GW2 instead of playing a more challenging game?

done by now.”

Posted by: nacario.9417

nacario.9417

How many times havent i died to these snipers when they show up during large events when i was afk for some secs, thinking i was safe on the sideline :P

Power Ranger PvP
I used to be a power ranger, now not sure anymore

Tom Gore.4035

Yes, exactly. For people who didn’t find the content of GW2 “challenging enough” for their tastes, why ruin GW2 instead of playing a more challenging game?

Touche!

I guess Anet listened to the feedback and found that the majority of their playerbase wanted more challenge?

One – Piken Square

Posted by: Mahou.3924

Mahou.3924

And why do you try to belittle other players with unfitting “alternatives” they “should” do if they don’t share your own favorism? Or even dare to tell others how and what to enjoy if they don’t like X and Y?

Ohoni.6057

I guess Anet listened to the feedback and found that the majority of their playerbase wanted more challenge?

Not likely, but they at least found some that did and listened to them, or just wanted to do it for their own reasons, in any case there has been an equally loud backlash, so now they have to evaluate whether they believe further course correction is necessary. Again, it’s my personal stance that they should honor the players who made the game a success over the past three years, rather than those who wanted something entirely different from the game.

done by now.”

Tom Gore.4035

Not likely, but they at least found some that did and listened to them, or just wanted to do it for their own reasons, in any case there has been an equally loud backlash, so now they have to evaluate whether they believe further course correction is necessary. Again, it’s my personal stance that they should honor the players who made the game a success over the past three years, rather than those who wanted something entirely different from the game.

Just by reading this thread I can see that more people are defending the new more difficult content than those who complain about it. Add in the fact that usually those who like the content are playing and not complaining on the forums, and I’m pretty sure it was the majority that wished for more challenge. And they were players of the “old content” aswell, just like you, and just like you they contributed to the success of the game.

I find it very hard to believe Anet would have deliberately done changes to their game against the majority of their players’ wishes. That would be just plain bad business.

One – Piken Square

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

Don’t have a problem with snipers, but I do have a problem with shadowleapers, or whatever those things are called.

Evades, stealth, and attacks that can easily drop your hp by half, and if they’re a vet or spawn over level 80, they can be pretty tanky.

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

Ohoni.6057

Just by reading this thread I can see that more people are defending the new more difficult content than those who complain about it.

Yes, and just by reading this thread you’ve accumulated absolutely zero relevant demographic data for the relative sizes of those populations, so. . .

The point is, there have been a lot of threads like this, started by different people each time, it’s an issue that keeps coming up, and it’s usually the same people shouting it down each time, likely people that were asking for “moar harder” content before. Again, it’s up to ANet to determine how large the population is and what to do about it, but “number of people responding to forum thread” is completely useless for accomplishing that.

Add in the fact that usually those who like the content are playing and not complaining on the forums, and I’m pretty sure it was the majority that wished for more challenge.

Nope, kittenumption. It’s also important to keep in mind that forums skew towards higher engagement, higher challenge type players than actual games do. Even if a game’s forum population seems overwhelmingly in favor of challenging content, chances are that the people actually playing the game are considerably less so, on average.

And they were players of the “old content” aswell, just like you, and just like you they contributed to the success of the game.

Based on self reporting, a lot of them fall into the “lapsed player” camp, the “I gave them three months to put raiding in, but they didn’t, so I stopped playing, but I’d come back if they changed the game to suit my tastes” camp. How many is impossible to tell, but there are at least some of them.

For the others though, I have to question that if the pre-HoT GW2 was so completely different from what they wanted in a game, then why would they have played it continuously for three years like the rest of us? I mean, the casual gamers have good reason to be upset about how HoT’s content greatly shifted the flow of the game they had been enjoying, but what were hardcore gamers doing with their time pre-HoT?

I find it very hard to believe Anet would have deliberately done changes to their game against the majority of their players’ wishes. That would be just plain bad business.

Yeah, that’s just what I was thinking when I was playing Super Adventure Box last week. . .

done by now.”

Posted by: Throdin.8061

Throdin.8061

So… I’m not seeing the logic here.

Your opinion is worth “zero demographic data”
Their opinion is worth “zero demographic data”

But because you make a thread and claiming there are similar threads and backlash… Anet should compromise the trust of their customers and go back on their word and change, as they described it, “challenging content” into non-challenging content.

Continue the arguments all you want with the entire world- more power to you if you hold your ground.

Doesn’t mean Anet, the creator of the content, the ones who decided through test after test, sorting through feedback from their playerbase all along the way, is gonna throw themselves into a PR nightmare because you’re having a hard time with the most telegraphed attack in the entire game.

Posted by: Kulvar.1239

Kulvar.1239

Champ snipers are a nightmare. Elites are something to be rightfully feared, but to be honest even veteran snipers can easily kill groups. This happens all the time in Tarir where people ignore them (I find myself killing them alone, and it takes for ever since veteran mobs there seem to have double the HP despite only being level 80).

People ignore them, and the elite frogs, because they can be ignored since they are moving around, but once it comes to the octovine vulnerable phase both the snipers and the elite frogs can and do wipe groups without a problem.

But with some practice you’ll come to realize they are not that problem. Just strafing makes them miss the firey line on the ground. They will shoot three arrows in a row and those needed to be dodged. They will run in our direction and do a knockback kick but it’s not particularly dangerous. The danger lies in ignoring them when they stealth to go hit something else or forget that they exist.

People ignoring them

A summary of why people die in Heart of Thorns :D

Posted by: seshat.9652

seshat.9652

For me: Snipers are jerks yes. But the target that appears over your head lets you know its time to move. You just have to move away. If you don’t you get smacked, and that’s no one’s fault but your own. I have died to those, because I didn’t move.. my fault. You know those giant lizards? The ones that roll over and squash you if you don’t move? I saw an ele stand there, attack.. get rolled on. She stood back up, attacked, got rolled on, 3rd time repeat of first two..and then she was there, dead. HELLO???

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

I do not appreciate a Snipers “Charged Shot” for being non reflectable. Removing active skills like reflects should not be encouraged.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: mickey.2816

mickey.2816

I have to admit that the line of death by Sniper should be “super” visible, e.g. glowing like a Christmas tree or players will kiss the floor while not seeing any clue, which is a cause of confusion (why did I die lel)

Posted by: Cuchullain.3104

Cuchullain.3104

One or two at a time, they are no problem. The problem occurs in the event chains when you get 4-5 appearing out of thin air in a confined space laying down so many of those fire lines that there is no safe place to stand. Some of the events in VB I just stopped doing because unless you have a group of 10 players, you’ll wipe.

I’ve seen this a number of times doing the Pale Reaver outpost stuff in that southern area with the Salvage Pit. You have narrow corridors where a number of snipers will spawn instantly completely covering the corridor with those fire lines wiping the whole group in one moment because they cannot dodge sideways or move to avoid them. I would be happy to see the fire lines removed but otherwise keep them strong. You only have two dodges so getting swarmed by these guys can be a problem even for a group. Having them parachute in behind you out of nowhere and backshoot you kinda sucks as well.