Request Mob Nerf: Mordrem Sniper

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Cuchullain.3104

Cuchullain.3104

To each his own, but can you understand that someone who doesn’t enjoy self-pain might not appreciate it as much? If that’s the experience you want, then might I suggest just removing your armor, and allowing the rest of us to also have fun?

This is precisely the problem. It isn’t that I don’t like genuinely challenging content, it is that the “challenge” is gimmicky and not reasonable in many cases, leading to frustration rather than fun. Anyone can make a game with invincible mobs that one-shot you and call it a “challenge,” but few non-masochists would find such a game to be fun. This is a cheap gimmick and not what a well-designed game should be. Now HoT doesn’t quite go that far, but it comes perilously close at times.

I was solo defending one of those ordinance tower construction events in VB the other day on my mesmer. Since I was alone, the only mobs attacking were a vet frog thumper and two Coztic shadowleapers. This should have been doable, and it was…sorta. The problem is that when I attacked them I would continually see ’MISS, MISS, MISS, EVADE, EVADE, EVADE" over and over again and I simply could not hit them many times. I kept getting shot up and having to run away to restart the fight again and again until I finally finished the event. This was intensely frustrating and the mechanics felt really cheezy.

Making things tough is not the same as making them fun. Doing this (normal) event was tough but it was not fun. A good game will be challenging in a way that is fun and rewarding, rather than using some deus ex machina mechanic to flatten you out of nowhere or make it so you can’t fight back, hit anything or evade attacks as a substitute for intelligent and challenging AI.

Another example of tough but not fun is making it take forever to kill some mobs that are otherwise easy to fight (eg. jungle tendrils). This is not a “challenge” but just another lame way of making things mindlessly difficult without providing rewarding gameplay. I freaking hate weed-whacking those things over and over again.

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

I honestly wouldn’t mind if they buffed snipers substantially. It doesn’t matter, the goal is to get you to dodge a single, massively telegraphed attack that a toddler could see coming. You’re not supposed to stand in it.

Increasing sniper damage 400% is fine.

Well if you actually played the game, you’d know that in the big events, 9 times out of 10 you get a line or two placed under you without any telegraph because only one player out of your zerk got the telegraph icon :o

And an Elite or Champion burn line is some pain.

I don’t understand your post. I do play the game, and considering that, the rest of it doesn’t make any sense. I killed two champ snipers just a few hours ago. Can you explain what you meant, considering that I pretty obviously play?

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

So… I’m not seeing the logic here.

Your opinion is worth “zero demographic data”
Their opinion is worth “zero demographic data”

Yes.

But because you make a thread and claiming there are similar threads and backlash… Anet should compromise the trust of their customers and go back on their word and change, as they described it, “challenging content” into non-challenging content.

They should make an effort to figure out how many players feel similarly, and if that number is large enough, act to correct it. I believe that there is a large enough number for that, some of you seem to believe there is not, neither of us have the wherewithal to prove that contention either way, which is why ANet needs to figure it out.

Doesn’t mean Anet, the creator of the content, the ones who decided through test after test, sorting through feedback from their playerbase all along the way, is gonna throw themselves into a PR nightmare because you’re having a hard time with the most telegraphed attack in the entire game.

ANet makes mistakes ALLLLLL the time, and they correct those mistakes at least some of the time, nothing suggested here is without precedent. Either they’ll fix it or they won’t, we’re just putting it out there that we’d like to see it happen.

For me: Snipers are jerks yes. But the target that appears over your head lets you know its time to move. You just have to move away. If you don’t you get smacked, and that’s no one’s fault but your own.

What about when you don’t get that target over your head because you aren’t their target?

Why do people keep bringing up the target?

Do people think that they only take a single non-persistent headshot, like in Southsun Survival? Is it the animation that’s fooling people?

The ones that roll over and squash you if you don’t move? I saw an ele stand there, attack.. get rolled on. She stood back up, attacked, got rolled on, 3rd time repeat of first two..and then she was there, dead. HELLO???

Sometimes players don’t really have better options. They are perhaps stunned or rooted or out of endurance, perhaps they are melee-only and have to stay close to do any damage. Don’t assume that just because someone looks like they could have been doing better, that they actually could have been doing better with what they had.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Posted by: reapex.8546

reapex.8546

My only complaint about the Mordrem Snipers is that they always shout “I’ll pin them down, you take them out!” And then the sniper takes me out while the other mordrem are keeping me occupied.

Unless this is intentional, and they engage in psychological warfare while they fight.

This made me grin like an idiot.

xD

Posted by: Monk Tank.5897

Monk Tank.5897

NO..Learn to Play.
I liked it better when it was Harder.
Stop making this game easy mode!

Posted by: Vennyhedgie.5369

Vennyhedgie.5369

I think they should tone down the damage on most mobs honestly. Yes, in a vaccum they all have obvious tells and counters, but that’s not the point. Very rarely are you fighting alone against a lone mob. It’s about the events. There’s just damage flying everywhere, from snipers to mushrooms to even the mordrem wolves with ridiculously huge hitboxes for how small they are. I just get constantly hit by random 10k+ hits that basically one shot me. It’s not a matter of skill anymore.

I think it’s one of the major flaws in gw2’s design. Because such a thing as downed state exists, they can allow themselves to make all mobs’ attacks basically one or two shot you since “someone else can pick you up”. But the reality is, in the jungle, most mobs will down you and attack you in some way that prevents you from getting back up. If a sniper downs you, the trail they leave behind will finish you. Stalkers will hit for like 15k multiple times during their flurry attacks, and frogs will shoot poison aoes on your corpse.

I’d also like to point out that I am disgusted at how they made guardians absolute garbage in this expansion unless they’re running DH. Basically everything a guardian has as a defense is countered by the new mobs. Blocks are useless because most mobs hit multiple times (still hitting for anywhere near 8k or more) which will strip you of your aegis and still hit you. And let’s not even get started on how useless reflects are.
I dont understand the point of designing mechanics if for the sake of making something hard you’re gonna make every single mob ignore said mechanics. That’s just plain unfair.

(edited by Vennyhedgie.5369)

Vennyhedgie.5369

I was solo defending one of those ordinance tower construction events in VB the other day on my mesmer. Since I was alone, the only mobs attacking were a vet frog thumper and two Coztic shadowleapers. This should have been doable, and it was…sorta. The problem is that when I attacked them I would continually see ’MISS, MISS, MISS, EVADE, EVADE, EVADE" over and over again and I simply could not hit them many times. I kept getting shot up and having to run away to restart the fight again and again until I finally finished the event. This was intensely frustrating and the mechanics felt really cheezy.

Oh my god I totally forgot about this.

This, honestly is absolute BS. It’s just cheap and has zero counter. It’s a simple passive effect you have no control on. It’s like those annoying mobs in Caudecus’ Manor that just NOPE and dont let you kill them.
There’s actually more examples of this. In EotM there’s those trolls with warior’s defiant stance which has no CD, and they can often spam it one after the other. These kinds of mechanics NEED a CD for god’s sake.

Posted by: SirDrygan.1823

SirDrygan.1823

Look, here is how I play to avoid the snipers after eating about hundreds of deaths from them. In a group or in solo…

I main a glass Ele, so here is how I do it…
When you see the TARGET sign above your head, you know the sniper is shooting at you, so dodge or run out of range. Or better, run towards it and interrupt it with your skills. I usually dodge away even if there are 5 snipers shooting at me. Then cast Meteor shower, doesn’t matter if it hits them or not. Then I make a beeline towards them, dodge into them most of the time, then cast lave font on them, shout all of them. Flame burst, and 80% of the them, most are dead. Then burning retreat and see the survivors and cast another meteor.

There, it is easy.

For Necro/Reaper, just go into shroud and dodge into them and attack them with all your shroud skills. done.

I haven’t brought my guardian into HoT yet, so I don’t know how to attack sniper with a guardian. I am using staff and scepter/shield. So, I guess I would be using aegis to tank the hits and go kite them with staff 1 and staff 3 then switch scepter 2 and shield 5. something like that….

Serious, instead of complaining that the snipers are OP, try to find out how to approach them with prejudice. If they hit hard, then find out how to hit back harder.

I SAY NO TO NERFING. JUST LEAVE THEM ALONE!!! :P

(edited by SirDrygan.1823)

Posted by: Takoyakii.2146

Takoyakii.2146

This, honestly is absolute BS. It’s just cheap and has zero counter. It’s a simple passive effect you have no control on. It’s like those annoying mobs in Caudecus’ Manor that just NOPE and dont let you kill them.
There’s actually more examples of this. In EotM there’s those trolls with warior’s defiant stance which has no CD, and they can often spam it one after the other. These kinds of mechanics NEED a CD for god’s sake.

“Evades Ranged Attacks”

Text on him clearly said that guys. Stay in close range :<.

Vennyhedgie.5369

“Evades Ranged Attacks”

Text on him clearly said that guys. Stay in close range :<.

Yes, I can read, but that doesn’t mean I can do anything about it.
It’s kinda like the grawl in fractals when you have to pop his bubble but no rocks spawn. You just…sit there and wait.

Posted by: Brow.9425

Brow.9425

The most aggravating thing about these guys for me is that my shield that specifically is supposed to reflect bullets, doesn’t work on these guys.

Rathan Kelet — Maguuma

Posted by: Takoyakii.2146

Takoyakii.2146

Yes, I can read, but that doesn’t mean I can do anything about it.
It’s kinda like the grawl in fractals when you have to pop his bubble but no rocks spawn. You just…sit there and wait.

You can clearly do anything about it . I mean run toward him and kill him. Every class can do that.

Posted by: Isarii.2804

Isarii.2804

Mordrem Snipers are fine, and with their low HP pools and obvious tells, one of the easier mobs to deal with in the expansion. This is a L2P issue.

Ohoni.6057

If a sniper downs you, the trail they leave behind will finish you. Stalkers will hit for like 15k multiple times during their flurry attacks, and frogs will shoot poison aoes on your corpse.

This further highlights a major balance flaw in the game, that a handlful of classes can leave deathfields, while most are just insta-killed by them. They really should do a pass on the downed state and make sure that every class gets a “move out of the fire” ability," and that each ability is tuned to have a solid use in PvE, rather than just being there to frustrate stomps (I’m looking at you, Thief stealth).

I main a glass Ele, so here is how I do it…
When you see the TARGET sign above your head, you know the sniper is shooting at you, so dodge or run out of range. Or better, run towards it and interrupt it with your skills. I usually dodge away even if there are 5 snipers shooting at me. Then cast Meteor shower, doesn’t matter if it hits them or not. Then I make a beeline towards them, dodge into them most of the time, then cast lave font on them, shout all of them. Flame burst, and 80% of the them, most are dead. Then burning retreat and see the survivors and cast another meteor.

There, it is easy.

Except when it doesn’t work.

Serious, instead of complaining that the snipers are OP, try to find out how to approach them with prejudice. If they hit hard, then find out how to hit back harder.

Again, the problem is NOT that they are “impossible to kill,” nobody is arguing that so stop arguing against imaginary people who do. The problem is that they are annoying to deal with, and are overpowered in relation to the baseline for enemies of their rank, especially in large scale situations. If they want enemies that hit as hard as baseline Snipers, they can have those, but they should be Vet or stronger mobs, and they need to take more care with spawning them in multiples.

This is not about figuring out tactics to better deal with them as they are, this is about changing them so that they don’t require such gymnastics.

Mordrem Snipers are fine, and with their low HP pools and obvious tells, one of the easier mobs to deal with in the expansion. This is a L2P issue.

They do not have lower health pools than other mobs, and in larger scale situations can take tens of seconds of direct DPS to drop them. And nobody disputes that their tells are hard to read, just that you don’t always have solid options for doing anything about it, even if you 100% know what’s coming. This really is a “Learn to Read before posting” issue.

done by now.”

Vennyhedgie.5369

If a sniper downs you, the trail they leave behind will finish you. Stalkers will hit for like 15k multiple times during their flurry attacks, and frogs will shoot poison aoes on your corpse.

This further highlights a major balance flaw in the game, that a handlful of classes can leave deathfields, while most are just insta-killed by them. They really should do a pass on the downed state and make sure that every class gets a “move out of the fire” ability," and that each ability is tuned to have a solid use in PvE, rather than just being there to frustrate stomps (I’m looking at you, Thief stealth).

Agreed. Admittedly I usually play glassy builds, so I do go down alot. But still, mistform is a god-sent. When I get downed on guardian, that’s it, I’m dead.

Posted by: Rabe.2456

Rabe.2456

Get armor or get gud, problem solved.

Posted by: Mahou.3924

Mahou.3924

Get armor or get gud, problem solved.

Take more reading comprehension lessons or think before posting. Problem solved.

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

Snipers don’t need to get nerfed really. What really needs to get nerfed are their much more faster and mobile counterparts, the stalkers, which use caithes whirling attack with that they can evade all of your attacks, while dishing out also super fast obnoxious high damage…

These enemies as elite/champs can litterally annihilate you in a matter of seconds.
Their damage output absolutely needs to get reduced.

Also the super annoying ranged homing in torment attack of that other mordrme enemy needs to get nerfed as it seems to hit you/home into you even while you are stealthed and for its low 3 stacks it does way tooo much condition damage while you are standing still and naturallywa more so when you are moving and in HoT you need to stay constantly in move, if you don#t want to get crushed by the hammer wieldign mordrem or just stand in the attack lines from the snipers.

I also absoliutely don’t know, what happened about the talked about Mastery that should make us able to deal more damage against mordrem, because mordrem would be lesser of a deal, when you can kill them quicker.
But I guess, thats mybe teachigns of the exhalted tier 6, thats missing, which I hope gets added when they add the raids…
I had already directly from the start on a feeling, that Anet is wantingly holding back some mastery tiers for later, as that would explain why not all of them have 6 tiers and some of them only 5 or in case of legendary crafting only 4, because Anet yet hasn#t introduced all of the new maguuma legendaries, so that it would make sense to hold back therefore tier 5 and tier 6, as to craft the central tyrian legendaries, therefore are 3 tiers required… would make only sense that tier 4 to 6 are then required for the maguuma legendaries.

And I lay my hand into fire, if pact commander 6 hasn#t to do anythign with raids or somethign else for the future planned…
Theres also more central tyria mastery points, than you need to max out everythign. So im pretty sure there will come more in the future to brign these two masteries also to tier 6.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Ohoni.6057

Well, there should always be more mastery points available than you need to max everything out, so that there’s flexibility in which activities you do. If they do add higher tiers of masteries then they definitely need to add better ways to earn XP than the current options (or raids).

done by now.”

Posted by: nickcosta.8256

nickcosta.8256

Hell no! They’ve been already nerfed too much. I say uft hem like they were during beta1. I still tryand pick them first but they are not a threat anymore

Gandara (TAC)
15chars

Posted by: Shoe.5821

Shoe.5821

I also absoliutely don’t know, what happened about the talked about Mastery that should make us able to deal more damage against mordrem, because mordrem would be lesser of a deal, when you can kill them quicker.

well, we know of at least one mastery that they touted before release that isn’t in the game: the mastery that lets you strip damage immunity bark from certain Mordrem. I’m guessing that one will be coming with Raids.

Posted by: Electra.7530

Electra.7530

I HATE snipers. The only thing worse than a sniper is … 2 snipers. hahahaha

Posted by: VentiGlondi.9830

VentiGlondi.9830

Oh please, Mordrem Snipers don’t even come close to the hellspawn that is Mordrem Shadowleaper

Ohoni.6057

well, we know of at least one mastery that they touted before release that isn’t in the game: the mastery that lets you strip damage immunity bark from certain Mordrem. I’m guessing that one will be coming with Raids.

Perhaps, or it was just decided that this ability was unnecessary/OP when they were doing final balance so they negated it. There was also one for yanking Wyvern out of the sky, but they removed that too.

done by now.”

Vennyhedgie.5369

So this just happened. The HP east of Teku Nuhoc. Fly there, go up the annoyingly steep insides of a dead tree. Two veterans, a mushroom king and a queen.
I kill the king without much trouble, just range it. Queen gives me more of a challenge with her sporelings, but I get through it. Okay now I just gotta channel this hero point.

Nope, two more mushrooms spawn, I get knocked down and isntantly hit by two consecutive 9k hits. From a friggin regular mob, not even a vet.
Took away my will to play the game for the rest of the day.

Seriously, look at those god kitten numbers kitten . How is it okay for a stupid mushroom to hit for 9k each.

Posted by: Shoe.5821

Shoe.5821

well, if it was regular shrooms that was probably their self destruct. its not like soldiers do anything else noticable.