Retiring Legendary Weapons

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Langdon.9738

Langdon.9738

With work on the second generation of legendary weapons suspended indefinitely, it seems unlikely that Guild Wars 2 would be able to deliver a 3rd set of legendary weapons in time for the next expansion. What do you think of Guild Wars 2 retiring the implementation of future legendary weapons for the rest of the game’s life cycle in favor of other end game content? What other end game content do you think would be fit to replace legendary weapons?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Work on the second generation of legendaries is not suspended indefinitely. That is to say, we’ve had weapons delivered to us, after it was supposedly suspended.

What Anet isn’t doing is making long collections, but they’ve been delivering new legendary weapons to us.

I’m not sure that’s going to change any time soon.

Posted by: Langdon.9738

Langdon.9738

Work on the second generation of legendaries is not suspended indefinitely. That is to say, we’ve had weapons delivered to us, after it was supposedly suspended.

What Anet isn’t doing is making long collections, but they’ve been delivering new legendary weapons to us.

Guild Wars 2 can deliver legendary weapons without lifting the indefinite suspension. It just means that work on legendary weapons can cease without warning in favor of other projects. Guild Wars 2 may have released a few 2nd generation legendary weapons a few months post-announcement of the indefinite suspension, just don’t be surprised if the next legendary weapon takes “years to come” as Mike had said in his announcement. The word you might be looking for is cancellation, which means there are absolutely no plans to continue development for the 2nd generation legendary weapons.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

Guild Wars 2 can deliver legendary weapons without lifting the indefinite suspension. It just means that work on legendary weapons can cease without warning in favor of other projects. Guild Wars 2 may have released a few 2nd generation legendary weapons a few months post-announcement of the indefinite suspension, just don’t be surprised if the next legendary weapon takes “years to come” as Mike had said in his announcement. The word you might be looking for is cancellation, which means there are absolutely no plans to continue development for the 2nd generation legendary weapons.

We seem to get 1 each living story s3 episode after the first, so what new post from mike are you refering to?

Edit
We got mace shield and rifle with 302 303 304

(edited by Linken.6345)

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

The suspension was lifted ages ago as per the above link. The suspension was only there until they found a new implementation method, which brought in with episode 2 onwards.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Here’s the announcement you may have missed:

With these objectives, we created a new, streamlined system that allowed us to deliver the new legendary Eureka with the second episode of Living World Season 3, Rising Flames, and will allow us to continue delivering new weapons until we complete the set.

Thus, ‘indefinite suspension’ definitely revoked.

Good luck.

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

We get the gen 2 legendaries. Just in a unbelievably slow pace. Like table fliping slow lol. I hope they get them all out before the next expac or else the attack from jormag to their hq during the ep 4 release will look like childs play infront of the kittenstorm they will have to deal with.

Khisanth.2948

1 every 2-3 months seems okay. If they don’t finish by the time then release the next expansion then you can start with the table flipping …

Posted by: Tanner Blackfeather.6509

Tanner Blackfeather.6509

To both release one every 2-3 months and have them all out before next xpac puts the next xpac at 16-24 months out from now. Running 3-3,5 years between expac 1 and 2, even if they keep LW up, would likely be problematic for the game.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

To both release one every 2-3 months and have them all out before next xpac puts the next xpac at 16-24 months out from now.

Contrary to some eager voices on the forums, we’re unlikely to get the expac before Q3 2018 anyway, so…

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Doam.8305

Doam.8305

To both release one every 2-3 months and have them all out before next xpac puts the next xpac at 16-24 months out from now.

Contrary to some eager voices on the forums, we’re unlikely to get the expac before Q3 2018 anyway, so…

It’s funny but the vast majority of expansions be it GW2, FF14, ESO, and some others release their games on odd numbered years for instance ESO and FF14 are getting there’s this year 2017. Many people pushing Gw2 expansion 2017 are doing so to avoid the great MMO migration. When millions of MMO players leave their games for 1-3 months in the even years in order to try the new WoW expansion. The player base for WoW increases by a difference more than the entire player base for other games. It’s only temporary though and all those people talking they sometimes resettle in completely different games.

At any rate late 2018 is way to close to the usual WoW expac release since those release on even years. Any marketing they do would only get washed over in the sea of WoW ads so late 2017/early 2018 with the other expansions releasing this year or skip on up to 2019.

(edited by Doam.8305)

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Season 3 would have to run for another cycle in that case. One of their goals was to reduce the downtime, not increase it.

I wouldn’t count on ArenaNet rushing out the remaining legendaries. They simply have no reason to do so and continuing to release them into the next expansion is no different than what they’re already doing now. Season 3 is not HoT. Assuming they don’t simply abandon them when they’re done, legendaries will likely be removed from expansions and kept on their own schedule, allowing for a full set every 2-3 expansions.

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

Season 3 would have to run for another cycle in that case. One of their goals was to reduce the downtime, not increase it.

I wouldn’t count on ArenaNet rushing out the remaining legendaries. They simply have no reason to do so and continuing to release them into the next expansion is no different than what they’re already doing now. Season 3 is not HoT. Assuming they don’t simply abandon them when they’re done, legendaries will likely be removed from expansions and kept on their own schedule, allowing for a full set every 2-3 expansions.

i believe they ment they downtime between content updates not expansion and tbh the more it takes the better for the game i eill take a expac that take its time but lives up to the quality everyone expects rather than a quick one.

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

there’s no need to retire it, just finish making gen 2 and then make gen 3 with fewer resources, occasionally releasing one. What’s more important is that they don’t make promises as part of the expansion release.
Just say
“This is going to be part of the expansion, and this is what we plan to release in the following time after the expansion, as future content of it”

(edited by Amaimon.7823)

Astralporing.1957

Possibly. On the other hand Anet’s usual launch times are in Q3, and if the expac was going to be in 2017 we’d have heard something about it already. They may simply not be ready for 2017 launch, no matter how beneficial from marketing point of view it would be.

Actions, not words.

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

Possibly. On the other hand Anet’s usual launch times are in Q3, and if the expac was going to be in 2017 we’d have heard something about it already. They may simply not be ready for 2017 launch, no matter how beneficial from marketing point of view it would be.

It’s possible that they are waiting for LS3 to end so they don’t spoil it with the new expansion’s content.

If LS3 truly is meant to be smaller than LS2, then that means we’ll get 7 episodes at most, with common belief being that it’ll end at 6 (because it’s a round number). We’re also getting episode 5 possibly in 1-2 weeks, and we know that one is going to be bigger than normal.

So, we can get the expansion’s reveal as soon as in 2 weeks, or possibly in 2-3 months. Perhaps a christmas release?

Healix.5819

If LS3 truly is meant to be smaller than LS2, then that means we’ll get 7 episodes at most, with common belief being that it’ll end at 6 (because it’s a round number). We’re also getting episode 5 possibly in 1-2 weeks, and we know that one is going to be bigger than normal.

The episode count isn’t important. Seasons were originally intended to play out over the course of a year. They have 3 teams working on season 3, hence the belief of there being 6 episodes.

Teams 1 and 3 (bloodstone and jormag) are basically already done their stories. Team 2 will likely be following up on Marjory’s investigation of Lazarus, which should reveal his goal, which will likely involve the next expansion. Alternatively, Palawa Joko suddenly busts in and season 3 was just a distraction.

Posted by: Hot Boy.7138

Hot Boy.7138

I only play for legendary weapons/armor

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

i can’t even get just 1 single legendary, you really think i will ever worry about any added legendary weapons?

Posted by: Umbramare.9156

Umbramare.9156

i can’t even get just 1 single legendary, you really think i will ever worry about any added legendary weapons?

I crafted 5 legendaries since january.
I crafted my last legendary 3 weeks ago.
This week I finished a precursor collection and sold the pre (with 200g loss, just for an item that you get iwthin the collection)
And I have enough materials to craft the next legendary on day 1.
By no means am I a tp baron or rich.

Crafting legendaries just takes a bit of dedication, not spending the money on everything you see (oh this random skin for 100g (which is about 1/20 of a legendary btw) i will use for 5 days before i get bored of it! Or i’ll buy gems for 200g! (which is like 1/10 of a legendary already, lol!)) and being focused.

Pretty sure that just by doing t4 fractals every day for 3 months (which is the release rate of legendaries) you would get enough gold/materials to craft a legendary weapon.

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

As much as I’d love to get the second expansion sooner rather than later, I do hope that Anet would push off the release until everything is ready and in a good state. They can even give us some filler patches that are mostly current events if they need to, but I don’t want the expansion to be released only for them to have to pull another “April patch” and finish implementing it/fixing a bunch of problems the community has with it due to it being rushed.

Astralporing.1957

As much as I’d love to get the second expansion sooner rather than later, I do hope that Anet would push off the release until everything is ready and in a good state. They can even give us some filler patches that are mostly current events if they need to, but I don’t want the expansion to be released only for them to have to pull another “April patch” and finish implementing it/fixing a bunch of problems the community has with it due to it being rushed.

Yes. Precisely. That’s why i’m wary of all the purely marketing reasons of why expac should come soon. If it’s not ready, it’s not ready and no amount of positive marketing is going to change that.
And i seriously doubt it is anywhere close to being ready.

Actions, not words.

OriOri.8724

IDK HoT, while in a terrible state at launch, was developed in what, 1 year? And they have had nearly 2 years to work on the second expac already. Considering that they now know how much work is involved in an expac, along with they now know what the community really wants in terms of difficulty and grind, and also that this new expansion will be mostly content (so they won’t have to devote so much time to updating the engine and adding new features) I think they could be fairly close to done with development.

At least, I’m hoping that they are fairly close. I’m really hoping that we do get it around Q42017-Q12018.

Khisanth.2948

9 legendaries left but only 2 more episodes …. hmm

OriOri.8724

Yea, but now that leg armor is done, Anet has more artists/designers free to work on the remaining leg weapons, so we should start seeing the last 9 be released at a quicker pace than the last 4 were.

Healix.5819

9 legendaries left but only 2 more episodes …. hmm

Technically, they never promised the 16 legendaries before the next expansion. They originally stated that they would be released in regular intervals until the full 16 were added. They removed that statement back when they suspended them, so now it only states that HoT has the original 3.

They’ll likely continue to be released on the 2-3 month schedule. I doubt the next expansion will have another set, so they’ll probably stop at episode 6 and continue with the next expansion.

Astralporing.1957

IDK HoT, while in a terrible state at launch, was developed in what, 1 year?

Most likely more. Suggestions that the devs are doing some big project in the background appeared at least a year before the first reveal, and we don’t know how advanced the work was at that time already. Also, HoT was, as expacs go, really small. It was also visibly unfinished.

Actions, not words.

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

To both release one every 2-3 months and have them all out before next xpac puts the next xpac at 16-24 months out from now. Running 3-3,5 years between expac 1 and 2, even if they keep LW up, would likely be problematic for the game.

Somehow I doubt Anet is using Lege weapons as their Expansion timeline.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

I crafted 5 legendaries since january.
I crafted my last legendary 3 weeks ago.
This week I finished a precursor collection and sold the pre (with 200g loss, just for an item that you get iwthin the collection)
And I have enough materials to craft the next legendary on day 1.
By no means am I a tp baron or rich.

Crafting legendaries just takes a bit of dedication, not spending the money on everything you see (oh this random skin for 100g (which is about 1/20 of a legendary btw) i will use for 5 days before i get bored of it! Or i’ll buy gems for 200g! (which is like 1/10 of a legendary already, lol!)) and being focused.

Pretty sure that just by doing t4 fractals every day for 3 months (which is the release rate of legendaries) you would get enough gold/materials to craft a legendary weapon.

all i do is open world and PS’s because all the other requires suffering trough kittens who only like perfect runs.
also, to me 100g is months of playing, pretty sure a legendary takes years for me to do.

Posted by: Tanner Blackfeather.6509

Tanner Blackfeather.6509

Somehow I doubt Anet is using Lege weapons as their Expansion timeline.

Neither do I. I’m arguing the inverse – that they want (or should) get the legendaries out before xpac 2, and should/will have to increase rate of release.