Retroactive Mastery Points?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: velmeister.4187

velmeister.4187

“We’re going to add Mastery Points back into the existing core Guild Wars 2 world, and you’ll be able to earn them all over that world,” he confirms. “There will be new Mastery lines that you can spend, purchase and train in that world.”

You unlock Mastery Points by doing things like completing story elements in a region, reaching hard-to-get-to locations, defeating content, and exploring entire maps. But while Mastery lines and their goodies are tied to regions, the abilities themselves may be usable elsewhere.

What does this mean for someone who has already completed the maps in GW2 as it stands today and got all the explorer, diver and jumping puzzle achievements? Will that person have some mastery points already accumulated for his/her account upon the release of HoT?

Remember, Masteries are an idea for the future, and a groundwork that will be expanded upon.

Or does this mean that player will have to go thru this over again for some scavenger hunt (e.g., badges etc.) on these completed maps and puzzles to obtain masteries?

I am lazy. I’d prefer to have them already accrued on my account.

“If there is anyone here whom I have not offended, I am sorry.”

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

If they are done through collections then there is a good chance it will be retroactive, most if not all collection related things were retroactive when they were added.

Anything that wasn’t a collection however has not been retroactive… so not sure.

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

I totally expect ANet to send veterans through the lower level zones again to get mastery points.

This way they will populate the zones for newer players and lengthen the time it takes to progress so it looks like more content.

I wish it wasn’t so, but ANet has sort of a history in sending people back to places they have completed ages ago.

Yay for old content!

Posted by: Crise.9401

Crise.9401

Anything that wasn’t a collection however has not been retroactive… so not sure.

To be fair they could easily do it retroactively for anyone with at least 1 100% map completed character (since mastery points are account wide) but what if highest map complete is say 46% them scattered all around the place. It would be more complex to write an algorithm that would check eligibility for each available mastery point. This only for map exploration though.

It is likely some mastery points are through collections and those could easily be retroactive as you said, but the rest not as much.

Posted by: KorbanDallas.7389

KorbanDallas.7389

“We’re going to add Mastery Points back into the existing core Guild Wars 2 world, and you’ll be able to earn them all over that world,” he confirms. “There will be new Mastery lines that you can spend, purchase and train in that world.”

You unlock Mastery Points by doing things like completing story elements in a region, reaching hard-to-get-to locations, defeating content, and exploring entire maps. But while Mastery lines and their goodies are tied to regions, the abilities themselves may be usable elsewhere.

What does this mean for someone who has already completed the maps in GW2 as it stands today and got all the explorer, diver and jumping puzzle achievements? Will that person have some mastery points already accumulated for his/her account upon the release of HoT?

Remember, Masteries are an idea for the future, and a groundwork that will be expanded upon.

Or does this mean that player will have to go thru this over again for some scavenger hunt (e.g., badges etc.) on these completed maps and puzzles to obtain masteries?

I am lazy. I’d prefer to have them already accrued on my account.

Considering I had to re-craft every item (and re-buy all the cultural chunks) to unlock my wardrobe, I would expect that unless it’s something tied specifically to already existing in-game achievements then we will end up re-doing it. The 100% map completion part? That’d (I assume) be by character, much like it is now – for example, although they keep adding more areas with the LS, my main still shows as having that 100% (probably to prevent us from getting another exploration mat for nabbing an extra 3 waypoints).

So yeah, if they tie it to achievements, you’d only need to go after new ones (which if they add a new diving point in an old map or whatever, prepare to re-trek) I would assume, otherwise it would just be like “Oh hey, you did all this.” If it’s instead tied to new content (say, a new world event out in the shiverpeaks or something), then you will have to go and do that since the game hasn’t previously tracked it.

That’s my guess.

}——————————-{
http://avsla-gw2.blogspot.com/

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

What do thy mean by “Bringing back”

Was this originally in the game? If so, how did it work before?

Posted by: BilboBaggins.5620

BilboBaggins.5620

My guess is we’ll be forced to do the content again, after all this is a no grind game.

Posted by: Windsagio.1340

Windsagio.1340

To be fair they could easily do it retroactively for anyone with at least 1 100% map completed character (since mastery points are account wide) but what if highest map complete is say 46% them scattered all around the place. It would be more complex to write an algorithm that would check eligibility for each available mastery point. This only for map exploration though.

It is likely some mastery points are through collections and those could easily be retroactive as you said, but the rest not as much.

It’s easy enough to do, they’ll do what they did for wardrobe unlocks;

You log in with each character, and it compares that characters’ completions with the list of granted mastery rewards for the account. It should be a pretty simple query for each character when you log them in, and it fits prior practice.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

If it’s tied to achievements or the wardrobe, it will probably be retroactive.

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

as long as no jumping puzzle involved, fine by me. lol.

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

it depends on how it’s added. first, it depends on whether or not you’ll have to do new stuff. if not, it depends on what you need to do to earn those points. a group event? not retroactive. a collection? well, the items you have on you will count towards it. map completion? retroactive. and so on.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

BilboBaggins.5620

it depends on how it’s added. first, it depends on whether or not you’ll have to do new stuff. if not, it depends on what you need to do to earn those points. a group event? not retroactive. a collection? well, the items you have on you will count towards it. map completion? retroactive. and so on.

I think we all agree (at least I do) that we still need all the info to make a final decision on any of these new systems. I just hope we find out fast because the little we do know concerns me greatly.

Zaxares.5419

Be prepared for disappointment. I’m 99% certain that some of the new Masteries will require JP completion.

EDIT: … OMG, just imagine it if one of the Masteries is a “Complete all Worlds in SAB on Tribulation Mode”.

BilboBaggins.5620

Doesn’t the silverwaste map have a poi that can only be reached by completing a very long jp?

Zaxares.5419

Not really. All you need to do is start the JP, then fall down to your death in the canyon (while the JP buff is active, you get auto-ressed by Skritt if you fall and die). Then just run along the bottom of the canyon to the POI.

The JP itself is actually also pretty easy, with no particularly difficult jumps. It’s just very long and confusing (if you don’t know where to go).

BrunoBRS.5178

you do realize that half the point of having hang gliders and ultra-vertical maps is that the expansion will probably require some level of JP skills, right?

Posted by: Crise.9401

Crise.9401

This interview will go into retroactiveness of masteries a bit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIJeblpbcr8&list=PLuF8h6vFT6oV3nqL7fJm6IIdxaWDYBz48&index=1

Plus, it is just a fun a bit different kind of interview altogether. I get the impression that there will be quite a bit of retroactiveness (probably not a word, but whatever) to the mastery system from what was said.

Posted by: Carlin Sanders.3587

Carlin Sanders.3587

when the new achievements came out, everyone was overloaded with chests yes? i imagine something similar will happen with masteries.

Posted by: Trock Bronze.9625

Trock Bronze.9625

They said you earn them in the jungle but that they will be used all over the world, so no, we haven’t done anything in the jungle yet so could not have possibly earned points to be retroactively given.

Posted by: Carlin Sanders.3587

Carlin Sanders.3587

They said you earn them in the jungle but that they will be used all over the world, so no, we haven’t done anything in the jungle yet so could not have possibly earned points to be retroactively given.

they also mentioned mastery points for outside the jungle, such as map completion. this is what was being mentioned i believe.

Posted by: Trock Bronze.9625

Trock Bronze.9625

they also mentioned mastery points for outside the jungle, such as map completion. this is what was being mentioned i believe.

Id like to see a link to that, so far the only info I have seen says it comes strictly from the jungle but can be used outside of it.

BrunoBRS.5178

Id like to see a link to that, so far the only info I have seen says it comes strictly from the jungle but can be used outside of it.

it’s the other way around. the way to obtain points is spread through all the game, core release and expansion, but some of the masteries are jungle-only (like gliding).

half the interviews out state as much.

Posted by: velmeister.4187

velmeister.4187

I am quite certain that they will introduce collections for existing achievements as well. But, they may not penalize players who had already completed the achievement by making them to go back and redo the achievement to get a collectible token in order to obtain a mastery point. These type of players may already be grandfathered into the new collection based mastery system (if any).

This way ANET generates content for people who are on the fence about completing something. To give an example, I am at almost 19k AP, I do not have a single legendary or any character with 100% world completion. With new system in place, I may finally get motivated to finish world completion on a toon. I may want to do it now hoping I will be all set for masteries related to world completion when HoT launches. Will I appreciate having to do an all over world completion to collect some shinnies to get the mastery credit when HoT Launches? I’d rather prefer to play the new content ASAP and have a leg up w/ masteries from existing world, or at least a good percentage of it.

“If there is anyone here whom I have not offended, I am sorry.”

Posted by: Gandalf.3516

Gandalf.3516

Colin said in an interview that we may very well have mastery points from stuff we’ve already done across Tyria.

Posted by: Brave Mallyki.1563

Brave Mallyki.1563

They made you run the dungeon story modes again to unlock the dungeon PvP tracks even if you had the “Dungeon Master” title, so I will be expecting to revisit content to get those Mastery Points.

Vox Invictus [VOX] – Crystal Desert
PvP Rank – 151 – Dragon
WvW Rank – 1,120 – Silver Colonel