Rev Staff - Please let it be high DPS!

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Faux.1937

Faux.1937

Please let melee staff be the “High” DPS weapon…

Its my dream to use a Martial Staff in GW2, but I only play Zerk (B.c I love that style, I play DPS in WoW, I max out DPS in all RPGs, I hate support rolls).

SAB or RIOT

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Since it’s based around support, the odds are it won’t be high DPS. That would make it quite OP.

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

A melee staff with high DPS will probably be reserved for another profession’s elite spec (warrior?).

Revenant’s martial staff is support.

Posted by: MattyP.6954

MattyP.6954

Also, the legend it primarily synergizes with (Ventari) is a pacifist…

Server — Fort Aspenwood
Mains — Mathias of the Wood [Ranger]; Collaborator Bluatt [Engineer]
Alts — Necromancer, Warrior, Elementalist

Posted by: MiniEquine.6014

MiniEquine.6014

It looks like it could deal a reasonable amount of damage if you spec into power lines and wear the right gear stats. It also comes with cleave healing, an AoE condi cleanse, a blind, weakness application, and a 9x damage multi-target knockback, so even if it’s not the most damage, you will be able to deal enough and still provide useful support to your comrades.

http://i.imgur.com/wP1UXvH.jpg

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

given the spec is a support spec, I doubt it will have high damage.

People seem to be highly resistant to the notion that there’s something other than Berserker DPS in the game.

Given that all the specs thus far have a very specific role, is it really outside the realm of possibility that HoT’s content will be designed with more than DPS berserker mindless pew pew involved?

I strongly believe that they are giving us these specific roles because we will be in need of them with HoT

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Given that Ventari was a peace loving centaur, I don’t see staff as being high in dps. However, the blog does stat that this is the first class to use staff as a melee weapon, which means we will see other classes with this option in the future. I expect to see some of those in a more dps heavy role that might fit the OPs desire. But not this one.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

MattyP.6954

A melee staff with high DPS will probably be reserved for another profession’s elite spec (warrior?).

Revenant’s martial staff is support.

My guess is that Thief will get staff in a future round of Elite Specializations. They have a martial-artist vibe about them anyways.

Server — Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: VentiGlondi.9830

VentiGlondi.9830

It appears sword will be the dps choice for Revenant

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

It has lifesteal on it.

That means DPS (at least from the autoattack) will be awful.

Count on it.

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

Faux.1937

Now wait a sec, is it 100% confirm that You MUST be in Ventari to use staff on Revenant?

SAB or RIOT

Posted by: Genesis.4671

Genesis.4671

All this talk of “Well it’s a support spec so it wont have high DPS”…

The staff is not tied to the legend… You can use any weapon with any legend.

Just because they spoke about the spec and the staff in the same blog post doesn’t mean you HAVE to use them together.

MattyP.6954

Now wait a sec, is it 100% confirm that You MUST be in Ventari to use staff on Revenant?

I don’t think it’s confirmed at all, actually.

Server — Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: cocowoushi.7150

cocowoushi.7150

Wasn’t confirmed and isn’t likely required. Ventari is no where strong enough to be their Elite Spec.

Faux.1937

So that means there is still hope for it to be a strong DPS weapon

SAB or RIOT

Posted by: Diovid.9506

Diovid.9506

The reverse in fact. The staff is just one of the weapon options of the Revenant and Ventari is just one of the legendary stance options of the Revenant. Although they fit together thematically, you in no way have to use them together.

Wasn’t confirmed and isn’t likely required. Ventari is no where strong enough to be their Elite Spec.

1. Elite specs are not stronger than normal specs.
2. Elite specs do not have to use their related weapon.

Posted by: Black Box.9312

Black Box.9312

It will probably have at least moderate DPS since it will be a melee weapon, but it probably will sacrifice some damage for the supportive utility it will provide over a more offensively-oriented melee weapon.

Posted by: cocowoushi.7150

cocowoushi.7150

The reverse in fact. The staff is just one of the weapon options of the Revenant and Ventari is just one of the legendary stance options of the Revenant. Although they fit together thematically, you in no way have to use them together.

I guess what I mean is Ventari isn’t IMPRESSIVE enough to be their WOW LOOK AT THIS SPECIAL NEW LINE legend. That feels more like Glint.

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

It has lifesteal on it.

That means DPS (at least from the autoattack) will be awful.

Count on it.

Staff doesn’t have lifesteal on it though.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

The leaked third AA chain description states that it is a whirl finisher, but the weapon doesn’t seems to have any dark field so far, so you may be right. Even ventari’s field will probably not be a dark field.

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

I’m pretty sure that staff will be lowest DPS and burst damage set for Revenant, with high control and support.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

The leaked third AA chain description states that it is a whirl finisher, but the weapon doesn’t seems to have any dark field so far, so you may be right. Even ventari’s field will probably not be a dark field.

It was in the blog post though, what the third auto-attack chain skill was:

“Cleave foes around you with your staff, creating healing orbs for you and your allies.”

This skill is the third part of the autoattack chain. When you strike foes with this skill, shards of energy will fly off onto the ground around the target. You or your allies can walk over these for a small amount of healing. This encourages strafing around your target to pick up the orbs as you attack, and it creates more interaction between you and your allies. We wanted to promote healing through offense rather than as a passive effect.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: Eolirin.1830

Eolirin.1830

People seem to be highly resistant to the notion that there’s something other than Berserker DPS in the game.

Given that all the specs thus far have a very specific role, is it really outside the realm of possibility that HoT’s content will be designed with more than DPS berserker mindless pew pew involved?

I strongly believe that they are giving us these specific roles because we will be in need of them with HoT

Hell, a very strong argument can be made that there’s already a lot of content in the game that requires something other than full out zerker builds for the 99% of the playerbase that can’t play completely perfectly, it’s just that no one is interested in doing any of it, because it can’t be beaten with the ‘meta’ builds, and the rewards for the content that can be ends up being substantially greater for the same time investment.

MattyP.6954

Hell, a very strong argument can be made that there’s already a lot of content in the game that requires something other than full out zerker builds for the 99% of the playerbase that can’t play completely perfectly, it’s just that no one is interested in doing any of it, because it can’t be beaten with the ‘meta’ builds, and the rewards for the content that can be ends up being substantially greater for the same time investment.

Frankly, I think the only part of the game that truly pushes people toward zerker is Dungeons. Silverwastes, as an example, really rewards build diversity.

Server — Fort Aspenwood

Faux.1937

Frankly, I think the only part of the game that truly pushes people toward zerker is Dungeons. Silverwastes, as an example, really rewards build diversity.

<<< Zerker day one, Again I love DPS play styles I hate support rolls.

I personally just like Aggressive play styles that wrecks.

Nothing is wrong with zerk in gw2, the simple AI, blocks/reflects and blinds just makes it meta/easy to use, This will change in HoT for sure but there will always be DPS’ers no matter what.

SAB or RIOT

MattyP.6954

<<< Zerker day one, Again I love DPS play styles I hate support rolls.

I personally just like Aggressive play styles that wrecks.

Nothing is wrong with zerk in gw2, the simple AI, blocks/reflects and blinds just makes it meta/easy to use, This will change in HoT for sure but there will always be DPS’ers no matter what.

Oh, I totally agree. The issue isn’t with the stat combo, it’s with the content.

Server — Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: Wetpaw.3487

Wetpaw.3487

I hope you’re right, love to play a dedicated support role. I know a few players who would come back if they new endgame HoT PvE was more than zerk dps, so far it’s looking so.

JQ Druid

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

It won’t be a high dps weapon, it will be a support weapon…
If you want a high dps staff melee class, that makes sense at this, then wait for the moment, where Thieves receive that as next E-Spec for round 2 maybe

Then we will maybe see Quarterstaff “Rogues” that will be high dps martial artistical melee staff combatants with high emphasis on evasion and counterattacks also too.
Hopefull it would be then a weapon that gives the Thief a way to get more Stability and to counter better (more oftenly) projectile attacks, while having also a way to get better conditions removed when you evade/counterattack.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

(edited by Orpheal.8263)

Posted by: Windsagio.1340

Windsagio.1340

Also, ele water staff should be their highest dps!

Posted by: CodeHavoc.7926

CodeHavoc.7926

Uh, there are things in the game that is more than just dps….

Necro Jesus is a thing apparently
The Zerker Bunker meta is the biggest bug in the game

Posted by: nearlight.3064

nearlight.3064

Well according to dataming, Revenant should get MH sword, OH shield, and sword, so those could potentially provide a high a DPS set up.

Theres also the elite spec weapon, which I’m hoping will be warhorn personally, since I think it fits well and I have a Howler sitting unused on my necromancer that I’d like to do something with hahaha.

Necromancer Main
Taking a break from GW2 to play various
Nintendo games..

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

Well according to dataming, Revenant should get MH sword, OH shield, and sword, so those could potentially provide a high a DPS set up.

Theres also the elite spec weapon, which I’m hoping will be warhorn personally, since I think it fits well and I have a Howler sitting unused on my necromancer that I’d like to do something with hahaha.

http://i.imgur.com/wP1UXvH.jpg

Posted by: dietzero.3514

dietzero.3514

1. He meant Ventari himself was not strong enough or impressive enough to be the elite spec.
2. Elite specs are the only ones allowed to use the elite spec weapon, which would have meant staff if Ventari was the elite spec.

Posted by: Genlog.4983

Genlog.4983

i hope the staff for REV will be a great support weapon for my team
i love to play a support role

Posted by: EdwinLi.1284

EdwinLi.1284

It appears sword will be the dps choice for Revenant

Not surprised since if the data mine is correct the Sword+Sword combo is the Shiro Tagachi Legend and he is known in GW Lore to be a Damage focused character.

With Ventari revealed there is only 2 Legends remaining unless Anet plans another Legend, other the remaining data mined 2 being Shiro and Glint, to be Revy’s 1st Specialization which would make it 3 instead.

Posted by: Captain Unusual.9163

Captain Unusual.9163

Why are people acting like you need to use a specific legend to use each weapon? Your weapon affects your 1-5 skills, your legend affects your 6-0 skills. There will be some synergy between support weapons and support legends, but that’s true of any class that can choose their utility skills, too.

That said, Rev Staff is likely going to be about as DPS focused as the Guardian Hammer. Not too embarassingly low, but definitely not its main focus. If the auto attack is a group healing tool, you can bet the weapon won’t be dedicated to doing the most damage. And the datamined skills should be viewed with skepticism, since we know that they’re probably not accurate, as seen by the datamined Ele sword skills being literally just copies of the dagger skills.

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

Why are people acting like you need to use a specific legend to use each weapon? Your weapon affects your 1-5 skills, your legend affects your 6-0 skills. There will be some synergy between support weapons and support legends, but that’s true of any class that can choose their utility skills, too.

That said, Rev Staff is likely going to be about as DPS focused as the Guardian Hammer. Not too embarassingly low, but definitely not its main focus. If the auto attack is a group healing tool, you can bet the weapon won’t be dedicated to doing the most damage. And the datamined skills should be viewed with skepticism, since we know that they’re probably not accurate, as seen by the datamined Ele sword skills being literally just copies of the dagger skills.

I believe people are going off the original trait reveal. each specialization (as they are called now) was associated with a Legend.

Each Specialization also had traits for certain weapons.

Faux.1937

Uh, there are things in the game that is more than just dps….

As a melee Weapon so Far for Revenant Mace and Axe are Condi weapons not direct damage weapons, We dont know about the other so far.

All Im saying/asking is for the Staff to be the DPS direct Damage weapon instead of Sword/Dagger/w.e the rev is getting.

I never said make all weapons Direct damage. Every class WILL have a set dedicated more so to Direct, support and Condi.

SAB or RIOT

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

So that means there is still hope for it to be a strong DPS weapon

Highly unlikely, considering what the blog says about it:

This weapon imbues your attacks with the power of the Mists, using a mix of martial and magical styles to support your allies. It’s very much about damage prevention rather than directly offensive attacks, to fit the legend’s theme.

It’s rather clear that it will be a healing/suppot weapon, not a dps one – most probably more like water ele staff than a guardian hammer, at that.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

Not everything has to be high dps power weapon to have a use.

I’m curious about that new AI they developed. If they’re smart, it’s quite possible that we will see a need for bonus healing and support in PvE beyond reflect walls.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

Faux.1937

I’m curious about that new AI they developed. If they’re smart, it’s quite possible that we will see a need for bonus healing and support in PvE beyond reflect walls.

AGAIN….. NOT asking for ALL weapons to be high DPS and AGAIN I’ve said weapons have/need rolls, Axe/Mace are Condi on Rev so far.

AGAIN I just want STAFF to be the Zerk choice of weapon NOT all weapons.

SAB or RIOT

Posted by: Black Box.9312

Black Box.9312

It looks like each weapon set we’ve seen so far is pretty heavily tied to a specific legend. From what I’ve heard from buddies who have been in the beta tests, mace/axe doesn’t really do too much for a build centered around Jalis, and likewise for hammer with Mallyx. This is my primary concern behind the decision to remove the weapon swap on Revenant, because they’ll need to find a way to make it viable to build around 2 legends with a single weapon set rather than just centering around one legend, and just having one as backup for a few extra skills.

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

AGAIN….. NOT asking for ALL weapons to be high DPS and AGAIN I’ve said weapons have/need rolls, Axe/Mace are Condi on Rev so far.

Wow, somebody’s feathers are rather ruffled.

On topic, I would have preferred staff to be a DPS weapon as I wanted to use it in PvE and I just don’t see a huge need for that kind of healing and knockback (which are often counter productive in PvE) support. I would love to use melee staff for the idea of it, but will likely have a different weapon set for my time in PvE.

On a somewhat related note, if we could have weapon swapping I’m sure staff would have use in PvE, but without it I think it will be a rarely seen weapon in that game mode.

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Faux.1937

Wow, somebody’s feathers are rather ruffled.

On topic, I would have preferred staff to be a DPS weapon as I wanted to use it in PvE and I just don’t see a huge need for that kind of healing and knockback (which are often counter productive in PvE) support. I would love to use melee staff for the idea of it, but will likely have a different weapon set for my time in PvE.

On a somewhat related note, if we could have weapon swapping I’m sure staff would have use in PvE, but without it I think it will be a rarely seen weapon in that game mode.

Not mad at all, just making sure ppl fully understand where i stand is all so no “miss quoting” will happen.

SAB or RIOT

Posted by: DresdenAllblack.1249

DresdenAllblack.1249

Somebody stated in another post that Glint would be the elite. And it spear/shield.

Said it was pulled from a data mine, but I no idea if the claim is factual.

Angelina is free game again.
Crystal Desert

Posted by: MiniEquine.6014

MiniEquine.6014

Somebody stated in another post that Glint would be the elite. And it spear/shield.

Well, there’s absolutely no way they are getting a land spear, so that’s not it.

Posted by: Diovid.9506

Diovid.9506

What was pulled from the data mine was this: http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/37tunc/update_revenant_datamined_staff_skills_removed/

That clearly shows the spear will give 5 skills, not 3. So the spear will be a 2-handed weapon. Besides, I’m pretty sure Anet already confirmed that the underwater weapons will not be coming to land in HoT. At least Anet confirmed that no new weapon types will be coming with HoT.

In any case, I wouldn’t count on Glint being spear/shield. In fact, considering what has been datamined there might not be a complete set of weapons per legend. We’ll see.

Posted by: skowcia.8257

skowcia.8257

Sorry OP, if you want dps melee staff you have to wait for Warrior/Thief specialization. That said i believe we will see a lot of staff revenant in open world cus fashion. Dps is not the most important thing there.

obey me

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

There is no confirmation or even true evidence of this. Datamined was Ventari/Shiro/Glint for legends and also sword MH/sword OH/Sheild/Staff/Spear were datamined for weapons.

Some people believe that there will be four standard legends (Jalis/Mallyx/Ventari/Shiro) and one legend for their elite spec (Glint). Others believe that there will be 5 standard legends (including Glint) and the elite specialization will be something completely different and unknown.

In the end, many people make statements on the forums as if their educated guess is fact. Don’t get drawn in by those people. The facts are as I presented, anything further is conjecture to believe or disbelieve at your leisure until things are officially released.

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

(edited by Invictus.1503)

Posted by: DresdenAllblack.1249

DresdenAllblack.1249

Thanks for the information.

Anyways, staff went to ranger, so neither war nor thief is getting it.

Angelina is free game again.
Crystal Desert