Revenant Legends - Scarlet Briar

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Icewolfnector.1487

Icewolfnector.1487

I think everyone who has player season 1 of guild wars 2’s living story knows her name: Scarlet Briar.
(For those who don’t: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Scarlet_Briar)
Now, opinions on her were varied.
For me, at first I didn’t really like her. She felt like a bit of an excuse to just make new alliances out of old enemies.
But the closer we got to the end of season 1, the more she grew to me.
I somehow got this feeling that she wasn’t actually evil, despite all the bad things she did. And in the end when she ultimately found her end on the Breachmaker, I even felt sorry for her.
But still, I couldn’t quite grasp logical reasons for why I thought she wasn’t just all bad.
In the end I just wrote it of as me having a thing for “potentially misunderstood characters”.
Then just recently I stumbled across an interesting article about her that actually gave reasons to back up what I felt.
http://www.guildmag.com/in-defense-of-scarlet-briar/

Some probably wouldn’t call her a “hero” despite what is mentioned in said article. But in the end she at least did the right thing even though she had to accept several bad things happening on the way there.
(Now some of you that followed the story of the living world more closely than me and actually put a bit more thought in the whole topic, probably have come to a similar conclusion.)
For those who actually read the article:
Depending on where the devs want to take the story in “heart of thorns”, it will be interesting to see if Scarlet and her actions and inventions like the miasma or her watchknights will ultimately be key to defeating Mordremoth.

With all the above being said.
As I saw a lot about the new Revenant class and the legends that will accompany it, shortly after reading the above article, it struck me like lightning.
Wouldn’t it be an awesome surprise if one of the Revenants legends actually would be Scarlet?
What we saw so far about legends, they are all characters from the past and Gw1 lore. Which is fine and there are definitely enough interesting ones to fill all the slots for the
Revenant, but I believe it would be an interesting twist and a nice way to honour the more recent history and characters of Gw 2 they created. (and a funny way to troll people who didn’t like her ^.^)
With most of the Sylvari now being minions of Mordremoth and considering what Scarlets goal was in the end, I personally think it would be logical and quite hilarious to see her as a legend for the Revenant.
What do you guys think? :P

Posted by: Dadnir.5038

Dadnir.5038

Well, that would be interesting but the thing is that she doesn’t fit in any fighting style at all. The best we could guess from her is that she is a kinda Engineer.
I’d say that at best she could be involved in a specialization but not in the core profession.

No core profession should be balanced around an optional elite specialization.

Posted by: Many.8419

Many.8419

If Scarlet legend comes with her annoying laughter I want it! The possibility to scare/annoy other players with her voice only makes mi giggle.

Icewolfnector.1487

Well, that would be interesting but the thing is that she doesn’t fit in any fighting style at all. The best we could guess from her is that she is a kinda Engineer.
I’d say that at best she could be involved in a specialization but not in the core profession.

I disagree. If you think about it there are a lot of styles you could come up with for Scarlet.
I mean, what had Mallyx to do with conditions? You just need something that feel about right for her character or fit for the story around her.
Just to dive into the engi thing you mentioned:
You could give her skills like 3 different effects like some of the engineer stuff has, that proc at random when you use them and give her a really chaotic play style. The unstable/unpredictable nature of the mist thing. Make those skills quite powerful but require a lot of attention and skill to master their randomness.
Or if you want to go with her focus on alliances or the fact that she completed all 3 of the Asura collages you could go with some kind of combi skills.
Along the line of : If you activate skill 7 for example after skill 8 you get like a knockdown as bonus effect on it. Or activate skill 6 (heal) in a time window of like up to 5 seconds after your skill 9 or your elite skill you shadowstep to a random spot behind you or your enemy.
There is a lot of cool and more elaborated stuff the devs could come up for her. Those were just some random examples I could quickly come up with.

Posted by: darkprecure.6129

darkprecure.6129

Thumbs up! Scarlet Briar should become a legend.

Posted by: Toepac.9076

Toepac.9076

Not a bad idea.
There are however a lot of cool possible legends and only so many utility slots the revenant can get.
We’ll have to wait and see

Posted by: witcher.3197

witcher.3197

Scarlet had no real powers, her strength came from technology, there’s absolutely nothing to channel about her.

Besides many people would hate to be reminded of Scarlet’s existence every day.

Revenant channels the legends of old, not Salads who died a year or 2 ago.

Many.8419

Scarlet had no powers? What about her magnificent supersalad inteligence? She was tyria’s batman and joker in one body. I adore her until this day, those little screenshots of me and her <3

Posted by: DocZed.6973

DocZed.6973

I mean, what had Mallyx to do with conditions?

It’s not as much that Mallyx had to do with conditions, it’s more along the lines of a condition spec borrowing inspiration from Mallyx’s attacks from the first game.
Banish Enchantment is a boon strip with the same name.
Unyielding Tormet Anguish is kind of funny. The new skill shadow-steps folks away while the old skill resurrected the summons that Mallyx made during the fight. Unyielding Tormet Anguish instead borrows from “Shadow Smash” which deals a hefty amount of damage and randomly shadowsteps you.
Mallyx’s heal works like “Consume Torment”
His other two skills are new, the elite channel and the Resistance skill.

I feel like Scarlet being an engineer does limit what a Revenant could possibly do with her, unless we’re whipping around magical grenades and summoning Steam Hulks.
Most of her insight into the Leylines were given to her by the Eternal Alchemy, so I don’t see a lot of lyeline related skills.

All 9 classes leveled and geared to 80!
Remnants of Hope [HOPE]: Tarnished Coast

(edited by DocZed.6973)

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

A minion master legend does sound pretty cool.

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

Posted by: Phoenix.1370

Phoenix.1370

Personally, I hope they only keep with “old” legends, GW1 was fantastic and a profession built around that lore is what I’d love, legends that are only from that time period and not this is what I hope they will get with it.
The only one I really would like to see is Shiro, and from what I have seen many others would like that as well, but
Keep the GW2 stuff now, and give the Revenant to the legends of GW1.

While it would be “interesting” to give some current legends, or recently departed people, I personally would find my interest in this profession diminished if they did.

Posted by: flipyap.5789

flipyap.5789

They dont have to be heroes, the have to be legends. SO, yea she qualifies, along with mallyx, we’ll probably be getting Shiro, Svanir, and other villainous legends to commune to. Good idea with scarlet, tho I find it hard to think of what abilities you’d have.

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

If Scarlet becomes a legend, Gwen would be insulted.

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

…just let that plant die, okay? That’s the only thing she was good for.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

No thanks, unless the Elite is: “Right before you would take damage that would kill you, you deliver an annoying monologue and teleport to safety in an entirely other zone.”

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Tyger.1637

Tyger.1637

There were two minis available to represent the Captain’s Council elections. I despise Ellen Kiel so I don’t have her mini. Wouldn’t have Scarlet’s “legend” even if it had the best abilities ever concieved.

Posted by: Carlin Sanders.3587

Carlin Sanders.3587

scarlet was a master engineer – an example of what an engineer could do at their apex.

is this deserving of legend? no. in the end she was the pawn of a dragon. moreover she wouldn’t have any ‘powers’ that could carry though the mists save her intelligence, as most if not all of her combat abilities involved the devices she invented. Moreover, the engineering profession utilizes methods to replicate desired effects via science and technology with little or no investment in magic necessary. as the revenant is a magic using profession, this can cause complications.

Icewolfnector.1487

…Revenant channels the legends of old….

That depends on the perspective.
For a mayfly that only lives like a day, 2 years are hundreds of lifetimes. I guess that would could as old ;P

(Snip)…Most of her insight into the Leylines were given to her by the Eternal Alchemy, so I don’t see a lot of lyeline related skills.

Was it? I thought she found all that trough her own research. I have to look that up somewhere.
But I don’t see how it would ultimately matter how she acquired her knowledge about them concerning skills.

Not a bad idea.
There are however a lot of cool possible legends and only so many utility slots the revenant can get.
We’ll have to wait and see

Thanks
Yes I know. To be perfectly honest I didn’t really see her having any high chances in the first place. Though I still wanted to express my thoughts on the topic.
But who knows, maybe a dev gets hooked on the idea and we see her one expansion further down the line. One can dream you know haha ^^

Scarlet had no powers? What about her magnificent supersalad inteligence? She was tyria’s batman and joker in one body. I adore her until this day, those little screenshots of me and her <3

Are you maybe an old acquaintance of her? Tell me more

If Scarlet becomes a legend, Gwen would be insulted.

I don’t think any of the legends would really care
On a side note though, Gwen also would be a pretty cool legend.
Alas! I still remember the little girl that wanted to accompany me on my adventures. And than so many years later I even got to see her marry. All the feels

Posted by: Duke Blackrose.4981

Duke Blackrose.4981

Was it even established that Sylvari have souls in the sense that every other race does? As far as what’s been put through lore, after death, they live as memories in the Dream. That’s why the Nightmare Court is able to distort it through inflicting pain on and killing other Sylvari.

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

I don’t think any of the legends would really care
On a side note though, Gwen also would be a pretty cool legend.
Alas! I still remember the little girl that wanted to accompany me on my adventures. And than so many years later I even got to see her marry. All the feels

You also can experience her sufferings under the Charr captivity from the Bonus Mission Pack.

Gwen is worthy of legend, not Scarlet.

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

Posted by: Nephziel.6053

Nephziel.6053

If they were to use GW2 Legend I would prefer someone we were closer to.

Examples:
Forgal
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Warmaster_Forgal_Kernsson

Two-Tbbs A’whisker
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Lightbringer_Tybalt_Leftpaw

Posted by: Duke Blackrose.4981

Duke Blackrose.4981

If they were to use GW2 Legend I would prefer someone we were closer to.

Examples:
Forgal
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Warmaster_Forgal_Kernsson

Two-Tbbs A’whisker
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Lightbringer_Tybalt_Leftpaw

I’d channel Sieran. I very quickly fell in love with that bubbly, curious psychopath of a Sylvari explorer, and I’d love to be able to hear her dialogue again.

Many.8419

Forgal – yes! Isnt his voice a colonel from metal gear solid?
Sieran… meh
Tybalt – omg, god no! I know he’s like a public favourite but c’mon, he’s an insecure Coward mostly whining about going to be serious agent one day.

Posted by: Dhampyr.2813

Dhampyr.2813

I thought we were just channelling legends. No time frame involved. Sure the two that are revealed are from gw1 but theres no stopping them from added scarlet, someone from before the first time (that we know) the dragons awoke or even the future. Or for that matter someone from the alternative time line in the asura story.

If we could vote on that legends we could have out of a list i would vote for scarlet. Unless there was a really good alternative. Just remember the legends need not be good.

Posted by: Tyrannical.9348

Tyrannical.9348

Can we just put Scarlet to pasture and move on, I’d hate that even in death she’s still ruining the story.

- Sincerely, everyone who didn’t like Scarlet

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

No Scarlet because she’s not a legend.

Before anyone yells, back up and think about it for a second. She’s not a legend, she’s a FACT. People know her, and know just what she did. There’s solid documentation on a lot of it, and lots of the people that met her are still around.

A legend needs time to grow. To become its own thing. To take on a life of its own. Scarlet’s story hasn’t done that yet. You can say she was epic, but you can’t really call her a legend. Not so soon.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Dhampyr.2813

Dhampyr.2813

Mary Sue confirmed as the specialization for rev.

joke :P

Posted by: Spartacus.9743

Spartacus.9743

Scarlet as a legend?
I would prefer The Mossman as legend from the mists, with oneshotting axes bouncing randomly in the map ^^

P.s: and it could introduce agony as a new condition applied… Mossman 1 – Scarlet 0

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

Obviously we should have the legend of Kormir, that miserable wretch legendary for stealing the glory of the real hero and hijacking godhood.

Posted by: Mar.4839

Mar.4839

Before anyone yells, back up and think about it for a second. She’s not a legend, she’s a FACT. People know her, and know just what she did. There’s solid documentation on a lot of it, and lots of the people that met her are still around.

A legend needs time to grow. To become its own thing. To take on a life of its own. Scarlet’s story hasn’t done that yet. You can say she was epic, but you can’t really call her a legend. Not so soon.

This right here.

I’m surprised that some people can even think of her to be of “legend” status. Also Anet specifically said that as the Engineer is their most forward-thinking profession, the Revenant is their answer to the opposite of that, looking way back into the past for inspiration and theme. So yes the legends of the Revenant will almost surely (like 95% if not higher) be stand-out characters from GW1 that had a lot of fame/infamy in during those time periods.

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

Scarlet could manipulate thorn vines at her will, as well as teleporting very quickly, she even touched the Eternal Alchemy. That last fact alone is enough to consider her a legend, a very evil and mad legend!

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Many.8419

Scarlet could manipulate thorn vines at her will, as well as teleporting very quickly, she even touched the Eternal Alchemy. That last fact alone is enough to consider her a legend, a very evil and mad legend!

The last time I touched eternal alchemy I woke up 2 days later not in my house.

sorry couldnt resist

Posted by: SoPP.7034

SoPP.7034

Good idea, the sort of skills she could use would be to change things at will for no reason and to appear and reappear at will.

/s

A warrior, a guardian, and an elementalist walk into an open field…
The Warrior turns to the guardian and says, “Did you hear something?”
Guardian replies, “No, but how’d the elementalist die?”

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

One definition of “Legendary” is remarkable enough to be famous; very well known. which I think Scarlet qualifies for even now. Of course I’m not advocating for her to be one that is channeled as I like a lot of other people better and she doesn’t even make it into my top 10 (maybe top 20 though).

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Posted by: Teutos.8620

Teutos.8620

Great idea! I would love to see Scarlet coming back as an available legend!

EU – Multiple times #1 SoloQ pre Dec 2014 (pure MMR based ladder)
Primoridal (S1) & Exalted (S2) & Illustrious (S3) Legend

Posted by: DaMunky.6302

DaMunky.6302

Some sample utility skills from Scarlet Briar’s Revenant legend:

Heal Skill: “Plot Armor” – Signet. Passive makes you immune to all damage at 0 HP. Activate to gain full health and teleport any distance ignoring line-of-sight and pathfinding requirements.
Utility 1: “Gold H4X” – Activate to gain infinite gold and supply.
Utility 2: “Impossibly Expensive Master Plan” – Spend gold and supply to summon at random one of the following: infinite army of robots, one really huge robot, two PvE enemy factions who have horribly conflicting ideological beliefs but for some reason have formed an alliance anyway, enormous cloud of poison that kills everyone in the map.
Utility 3: “Diplomatic Invisibility” – Passive. No matter what you do, what you break and destroy, whose life you threaten, the local rulers and government will completely ignore you and let you have the run of the place.
Elite: “Lore Vortex” – Destroys 1 – 3 preexisting storylines by retroactively inserting Scarlet into their history, and creates 1 – 6 new plot holes in the process.

Dear lord, what have I done? – Matthew Medina, Gw2 Content Designer

(edited by DaMunky.6302)

Posted by: DaveyC.4398

DaveyC.4398

Having recently played the revanent albiet mainly using hammer. I would say that scarlet could potentially make a good legend if done right. The current legends do not provide any method of faster movement. Given Scarlett’s ability to teleport and so on, that could provide the fast travel / speed burst currently missing ( unless the other wepeons set allows for faster movement already)

Posted by: DocZed.6973

DocZed.6973

-snip-

kek
/15charrswalkintoabar

Attachments:

All 9 classes leveled and geared to 80!
Remnants of Hope [HOPE]: Tarnished Coast

Posted by: DarksunG.9537

DarksunG.9537

They said legends not Trolls. The only thing they should continue doing in regards to Scarlet is apologizing.

Posted by: Prophet.6257

Prophet.6257

I still hate her.

Not in a lore/rp way either. Just in general I think she was a poorly executed character that just flopped. Personally, I look forward to the day she is forgotten (well as close as possible anyway)

Plus, we have such a wide variety of high quality characters in Tyrian history I don’t think she really measures up.

(PS: Sorry if that came across as super negative. I don’t mean for any of it to be personal OP. Scarlet just makes me throw up a little.)

Posted by: Seishiro.7468

Seishiro.7468

I actually liked Scarlett, but I don’t think she would make for a good revenant legend because her mainweapon was her craftsmanship, she had controll over vines as well but not enough to make a whole build out of that(not to forget, it would be kind of weird fighting giant mordremvines with our little ones) so I would say she lacks that defining fightingpower.

From all the evil guys that died since the release of GW-2, I would say the one most likely to become a legend would be Gaheron Baelfire, because:
- He had real powers, not just machinery, he was close to becoming a god
- He was no dragonminion
- Visual effects of a transformation into him would look pretty sweet(fire, ash and tons of horns, everything your heart desires)
- he had many CC abilitys like knockbacks or DoTs like fire, and the revenant seems to be pretty Boon and condition focused, from all that I can tell

There are not many other options from GW-2 for evil legends, most of them were either engineers(Like scarlett), dragonminions(like every Son of Svanir), or survived(like Faolain, which is also a dragon minion).

All that said, I kind of doubt we will see any legends of characters that died durinf GW-2

“Trust in iron, not false gods” Karnar Ironclaw, Centurio of the Iron Legion

Posted by: LadyFearghus.3406

LadyFearghus.3406

Sooo.. When (at some point) season one becomes available.. We can eliminate Scarlet… While channeling.. Scarlet? I don’t see Revanents prior ro Rytlock as canon breaking.. but channeling Scarlet or any of the fallen order heroes would really break it for me.

Icewolfnector.1487

One definition of “Legendary” is remarkable enough to be famous; very well known. which I think Scarlet qualifies for even now. Of course I’m not advocating for her to be one that is channeled as I like a lot of other people better and she doesn’t even make it into my top 10 (maybe top 20 though).

That is the only definition that would make sense, because all the other legends are just as much “FACT” as scarlet is. Just think about Glint. She just died 8 years before the end of living world season 2. Destinies Edge knew her in person.
And with her now being confirmed through datamining, the argument that Scarlet just recently died doesn't count anymore. She could become a future legend for the Revenant just like Glint.
Btw ever heard the expression “He/She is a living legend”? If we can have living ones, why not shortly deceased ones

Having recently played the revanent albiet mainly using hammer. I would say that scarlet could potentially make a good legend if done right. The current legends do not provide any method of faster movement. Given Scarlett’s ability to teleport and so on, that could provide the fast travel / speed burst currently missing ( unless the other wepeons set allows for faster movement already)

Yes I think her playstyle would definitely include something chaotic and fast I’d say. Just think about the fractales of the mists. All those things were materialized from the mists trough magitech from the asura. Scarlet could basically create any gadget she can think of out of mist energy.

(PS: Sorry if that came across as super negative. I don’t mean for any of it to be personal OP. Scarlet just makes me throw up a little.)

No problem, we all have different opinions. At least you were no kitten about it like some other people.

From all the evil guys that died since the release of GW-2, I would say the one most likely to become a legend would be Gaheron Baelfire, because:
- He was no dragonminion

Neither was Scarlet. Just look at my original post.

Sooo.. When (at some point) season one becomes available.. We can eliminate Scarlet… While channeling.. Scarlet? I don’t see Revanents prior ro Rytlock as canon breaking.. but channeling Scarlet or any of the fallen order heroes would really break it for me.

To be honest I don’t think we will see season one before 2016 if not later.
But if you think about it, you can few it as reliving a part of the past. Just like with the personal story. It’s all in the past and wouldn’t make sense otherwise.
I mean, for some of my characters who didn’t finish PS yet, Mordremoth would be awake and the pact fleet destroyed by him before they could even kill Zhaitan if you don’t view it this way.

So some people in map chat already spoiled it to me who are going to be the last 3 legends. (yeah, that’s exactly how I wanted to hear about it -.-)
To be honest I kind of expected that Scarlet wasn’t going to be one of the starting Legends for the Revenant. But I still think she could and should become one in the future, when they are going to add more.
I still think it would make sense, depending on where the devs ultimately take story. Will she be a key character on our way to defeat Mordemoth, just like it maybe was originally planed? (read the article I linked to in my original post)
Or did they rewrite it because she -sadly- wasn’t liked by many of the players?
I really do wonder how it all will turn out. Because it could strongly affect her chances for the spot of a Revenant legend.
It’s definitely going to be exciting.
“Someday you’ll see. Tyria needs me.” – Scarlet Briar

Posted by: Bathos.6341

Bathos.6341

- He had real powers, not just machinery, he was close to becoming a god
- He was no dragonminion

Ah, no, pretty sure Gaheron is at least corrupted by Primordus. The flame legion in GW1 eye of the north are worshiping destroyers, and there’s no reason to think they stopped since then, certainly they are still using effigies, which were originally sacrifices to the destroyers. Where did Gaheron get his godlike power? Almost certainly by selling his soul to Primordus much like we see Sons of Svanir doing to Jormag to become Icebrood. he may not see the strings while he’s on his pwer trip, but gaheron’s definitely one of Primordus’ pupets.

Posted by: YuiRS.8129

YuiRS.8129

The mad salad? No thanks. She got offed and she should stay 3 feet under.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

That is the only definition that would make sense, because all the other legends are just as much “FACT” as scarlet is. Just think about Glint. She just died 8 years before the end of living world season 2. Destinies Edge knew her in person.

The thing about Glint is that while she did die only recently, most of the stories about her are from long ago. Only a very small number of living people have ever met her. Her legend is from all the old stories that have grown and taken on a life of their own in the retelling.

Let’s look at Scarlet for a minute. Think about how people that know her would describe her. They may go on about how smart she was, or how insane. But they can also tell you that she wore platform shoes because she thought being taller made people respect her more. Or that she would fix herself food, only to hate it because she knew she could have made it better, and therefore tended to just not eat unless someone else was cooking. Or maybe that she was afraid of cats, because she always felt that they KNEW, she could see it in the way they looked at her.

Now, think about what her legend will become. A sylvari mad genius that saw the order of the world, and decided to remake it to her own liking. The one who fused old races into new ones, leveled part of Kryta, and destroyed Lion’s Arch with a machine that summoned an Elder Dragon. The mad planner that was always two steps ahead, and most likely faked her own death as part of her master plan. There will be no mention of her shoes, food issues, or cats. Those are mortal weaknesses, the burdens of lesser beings.

The legend is what we will be channeling. Scarlet WILL be a legend, but that legend needs time to grow and become its own thing. The little facts that bring her back down need to be forgotten. It won’t matter if she’s still alive, hiding somewhere in a cave. Almost nobody will know that, and the legend will grow as if she was dead. Just like Glint’s did.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.