Revenant and Hammer?

Revenant and Hammer?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: avatarpranav.1379

Hey guys,

Do you think the new class will be able to use hammer? I’ve mained a hammer guard since launch as I absolutely love hammer as a weapon. With the upcoming XPAC and my increasing urge to main another class (with hammer ofc), I really hope rev will be able to as well. If not, I guess I’ll be trying out the new eng hammer specialization.

I wonder if it’d be one of the main weps or the wep when channelling Jalis Ironhammer. Doesn’t make sense that a heavy class wouldn’t be able to use hammer right? Also, the thought of my Juggernaut and channelling legends just has an ominous feel to it

Cheers

Revenant and Hammer?

Posted by: yanipheonu.5798

yanipheonu.5798

It feels like they should be able to use hammer, but who knows. That troll spear could have been a remodelled hammer.

Actually, it’d be cool if we got Rytlock classic Sword and Pistol combo as part of the revenant class.

Revenant and Hammer?

I really hope hammer will be become the meta dps wep in at least rev or engg lol. Wonder how wep choice will correlate to the skills when channelling. As in, will the channelling skills change based on the wep or can certain legends only be channelled by certain weapons… it’ll be interesting to see.

Revenant and Hammer?

Posted by: Crash.5362

Crash.5362

I really hope hammer will be become the meta dps wep in at least rev or engg lol. Wonder how wep choice will correlate to the skills when channelling. As in, will the channelling skills change based on the wep or can certain legends only be channelled by certain weapons… it’ll be interesting to see.

Yeah, would be nice to see Hammer actually make it to the pve scene.
I double you, my friend

Revenant and Hammer?

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

It feels like they should be able to use hammer, but who knows. That troll spear could have been a remodelled hammer.

Actually, it’d be cool if we got Rytlock classic Sword and Pistol combo as part of the revenant class.

I’m really hoping that troll spear was actually a staff used in melee. I’d take a melee staff over a hammer a hundred times over. I expect weapon choice will be limited for the Revenant and if I get a melee staff, I’m fine with anything else they want to give or leave out.

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Revenant and Hammer?

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

Yeah, would be nice to see Hammer actually make it to the pve scene.
I double you, my friend

Well maybe the Engi hammer might do it for ya

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Revenant and Hammer?

Posted by: teh persun.6517

teh persun.6517

If reverants can channel Ogrim, they’re required to use hammers.

Revenant and Hammer?

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

But can’t they summon the skills of spirits regardless of weapon in hand?

Revenant and Hammer?

Posted by: teh persun.6517

teh persun.6517

Seriously… It hasn’t even been a year since LA’s destruction and people are forgetting about the best NPC there? May everything you buy be stupidly overpriced

Revenant and Hammer?

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

Personally, I think the “polearm” used by Rytlock in the trailer is a new hammer skin. If you look closely, there’s a head like that of a mace or morning star on it – it might be an example of ArenaNet putting in some realistic two-handed blunt weapon skins as alternatives to those massive hunks of metal the size of the wielder’s head which if you do the maths probably weigh close to if not over a hundred kilos.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

Revenant and Hammer?

Posted by: Lurker.3609

Lurker.3609

Personally, I think the “polearm” used by Rytlock in the trailer is a new hammer skin. If you look closely, there’s a head like that of a mace or morning star on it – it might be an example of ArenaNet putting in some realistic two-handed blunt weapon skins as alternatives to those massive hunks of metal the size of the wielder’s head which if you do the maths probably weigh close to if not over a hundred kilos.

Frankly, it looks more like a staff to me. I mean, if we have warrior swinging his greatsword and a mesmer using his to channel his magic, why can’t a staff serve muliple purposes in the game either?

Revenant and Hammer?

Posted by: Brahmincorle.1264

Brahmincorle.1264

it was something like this (real weapon btw)

Attachments:

Revenant and Hammer?

Knighthonor.4061

How about posting the actual picture of the weapon in Rytlock’s hands or on his back rather than some other pic.

Because clearly the weapon he had did not look like that.

Revenant and Hammer?

Posted by: Copestetic.5174

Copestetic.5174

How about posting the actual picture of the weapon in Rytlock’s hands or on his back rather than some other pic.

Or you could stop being a kitten and pause the trailer when he’s using it.

Revenant and Hammer?

Knighthonor.4061

Would if I was able to watch the video right now and take screen shots… But can’t. So how about backing up your argument that its a hammer with actual screen shots of his weapon and not something else that he not even using…

Revenant and Hammer?

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Revenant and Hammer?

Knighthonor.4061

Again that looks nothing like a hammer.

And it has a blade on the end of it like a Spear. Why would the developers display a Staff that looks like a Spear, and using it for Melee swings, when we know, most Staff skins do not look anything like spears. That’s the fishy part in all of this.

Revenant and Hammer?

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Brahmincorle didn’t say it was a hammer, he said it was something like the weapon whose image he circled.

Revenant and Hammer?

Posted by: Copestetic.5174

Copestetic.5174

Would if I was able to watch the video right now and take screen shots… But can’t. So how about backing up your argument that its a hammer with actual screen shots of his weapon and not something else that he not even using…

Not my argument; please don’t assume. Google is your friend. It took me about 15 seconds to find a clear picture of the weapon in-use on the first row of pictures.

Revenant and Hammer?

draxynnic.3719

Bah, the youtube version. Cropped screenshot from the super-high-def version attached (better angle too, I think).

The shape of the head is consistent with a historical two-handed morning star – which makes it a hammer in GW2 parlance, since in GW2 one-handed blunt weapons are “maces” even if they’re actually hammers, and vice versa. Historical two-handed hammers and maces had much smaller heads than basically anything currently in game – if you do the maths (steel has a density of about eight grams per cubic centimetre) some of the hammers in game would be unwieldable in real life due to the weight.

It has a spike, on both ends as it turns out. This was common practice for historical maces – put a spike on the top, and sometimes on the bottom, so that stabbing is an option. Stabbing with the top spike isn’t how those weapons are intended to be primarily wielded, but medieval Europeans were big on adding versatility to their weapons. It’s also too short, I think, to be a staff.

Ultimately, the kicker is that it’s being wielded as a hammer. Spikes or not, it’s being swung like a heavy bludgeoning instrument, not thrusted like a spear. And while you COULD swing a staff like that, a fighting style like that is more suited to something bigger and heavier – if they were to make a fighting staff I’d imagine they’d give it animations suitable to staff-fighting, and they wouldn’t put it in a showcase if they hadn’t implemented them and were using hammer animations as a stopgap measure.

Attachments:

Revenant and Hammer?

Knighthonor.4061

Bah, the youtube version. Cropped screenshot from the super-high-def version attached (better angle too, I think).

The shape of the head is consistent with a historical two-handed morning star – which makes it a hammer in GW2 parlance, since in GW2 one-handed blunt weapons are “maces” even if they’re actually hammers, and vice versa. Historical two-handed hammers and maces had much smaller heads than basically anything currently in game – if you do the maths (steel has a density of about eight grams per cubic centimetre) some of the hammers in game would be unwieldable in real life due to the weight.

It has a spike, on both ends as it turns out. This was common practice for historical maces – put a spike on the top, and sometimes on the bottom, so that stabbing is an option. Stabbing with the top spike isn’t how those weapons are intended to be primarily wielded, but medieval Europeans were big on adding versatility to their weapons. It’s also too short, I think, to be a staff.

Ultimately, the kicker is that it’s being wielded as a hammer. Spikes or not, it’s being swung like a heavy bludgeoning instrument, not thrusted like a spear. And while you COULD swing a staff like that, a fighting style like that is more suited to something bigger and heavier – if they were to make a fighting staff I’d imagine they’d give it animations suitable to staff-fighting, and they wouldn’t put it in a showcase if they hadn’t implemented them and were using hammer animations as a stopgap measure.

Wielding it like a hammer? So that’s the hammer animation for Charr? That’s what you are saying it looks like…

Now what does Melee staff animation for char look like?

Revenant and Hammer?

Very interesting discussion guys! I personally never thought of the wep in the trailer as a hammer but the way he swings it is curious…

I would be very disappointed if hammer was not an option on rev. A heavy class should be able to use hammer.

Revenant and Hammer?

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

The other spear attacks used are nothing like a hammer style, there is a forward thrust that is nowhere on the hammer or staff animations.

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

Revenant and Hammer?

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

Seriously… It hasn’t even been a year since LA’s destruction and people are forgetting about the best NPC there? May everything you buy be stupidly overpriced

Channel Scarlett? -_-

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

(edited by skullmount.1758)

Revenant and Hammer?

draxynnic.3719

Wielding it like a hammer? So that’s the hammer animation for Charr? That’s what you are saying it looks like…

Now that you mention it, actually… YES.

I wasn’t thinking in those terms, just in terms of being swung like a two-handed weapon with a single business end, but I have a charr warrior who, coincidentally, I was using with a hammer yesterday. I haven’t done a side-by-side analysis, but there is certainly an upward stroke among the charr hammer animation set (hammer #2) as well as an overhead downwards blow.

How would a charr use a combat staff? I would imagine that a combat staff would typically be used as combat staffs are used in martial arts genuinely, with a central grip and both ends being used as potential striking surfaces. While a staff COULD be used with a two-handed grip at one end to strike with additional reach and power, if you’re only going to use it like that you might as well put a weighted striking surface on that end and make it a hammer (in GW2 terms). Certainly, I’d be pretty disappointed if they introduce a “combat staff” and give it animations that are difficult to distinguish from a hammer – do it properly or not at all, particularly since existence of a combat staff on a profession disbars that profession from using the staff as a ranged magical focus (unless they are treated as different weapon classes entirely).