Revenant's Hammer Auto-Attack...

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

…Needs a different swinging animation.

It’s a very unique weapon, much like Mesmer’s Greatsword. However, the GS set a great precedent with its own unique AA beam and floating sword. In comparison, the Revenant is simply swinging their hammer through the air, which just seems lazy and cheap.

I mean, if a random flying rabbit is wandering by without being targeted, revenant’s hammer will simply pass through it like wind. Random flying rabbit’s flight might get disturbed, for sure, by the swirling air. Their body is light and easily carried by the wind. And it is good for the preservation of flying rabbits. But it doesn’t fits revenant’s deadly theme. No one will take a revenant seriously anymore.

“Dude, the guy’s right in front of you. How haven’t you smashed his face already?”
“What I cannot physically see, my hammer cannot physically hit.”
“Sure, dude. You’re not gonna get along well with babes.”

Posted by: Caeledh.5437

Caeledh.5437

…the Revenant is simply swinging their hammer through the air…

I get to choose the hammer I throw. Happy with that. Most projectile attacks are set graphics.

Good incentive to get a cool looking hammer skin.

DiogoSilva.7089

I get to choose the hammer I throw. Happy with that. Most projectile attacks are set graphics.

But the skin incentive also applies to Mesmer’s GS, and that one has an unique animation nonetheless.

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

actually it looked like the hammer projectile itself was generic, much like every “throw weapon” animation.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

Posted by: DanteZero.9736

DanteZero.9736

Male human guardian staff AA animation. That one is my favorite and I wouldn’t mind seeing that AA animation used for both male and female revenants instead of the current animation. However, I also love the blessed hammers and judgement skills of the Diablo 3 Crusader, so throwing golden energy hammers at enemies with the human male guardian staff AA animation would make my day.

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

I’m hoping it and Drop the Hammer (name and effect) are both place holders. They are rather generic and leave much to be desired. I think they need to add more mist feeling to the attacks and in general just have a better visual execution. Just my ¢2

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

Posted by: Dirame.8521

Dirame.8521

At first glance it doesn’t look all that but I’ve been through this before where I thought an animation would be awesome and then it turned out to not feel that great. I’ll wait till I get my hands on it before I decide.

I make guides to builds you may not have heard of;
http://www.youtube.com/user/ceimash
http://www.twitch.tv/ceimash

Posted by: Caeledh.5437

Caeledh.5437

actually it looked like the hammer projectile itself was generic, much like every “throw weapon” animation.

Aww nuts – I feel robbed, cheated, mugged… etc. All this fancy new tech and I can’t toss my hammer about?

Even so I can live with less flashy weapon animations. Maybe all the revenant’s flash is on the legend side of the skill bar. Like the demon transform and the dragon summon.

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

Aww nuts – I feel robbed, cheated, mugged… etc. All this fancy new tech and I can’t toss my hammer about?

Using Juggernaut (or the new legendary hammer, assuming there is one) should change the thrown projectile to be that hammer’s model instead.

That’s how existing legendaries work, anyway.

DiogoSilva.7089

I’m hoping it and Drop the Hammer (name and effect) are both place holders. They are rather generic and leave much to be desired. I think they need to add more mist feeling to the attacks and in general just have a better visual execution. Just my ¢2

I don’t mind Drop the Hammer as much, because it has at least an unique effect, although I agree it could have been something more. The AA, however, I find it really bothersome, especially because that’s what we’ll be seeing most of the time.

Posted by: Scoobaniec.9561

Scoobaniec.9561

Actually i like that autoattack from hammer. Im really happy that they didnt made it similiar to mesmer gs auto as i cant stand it personally. If they ever going to make this hammer float like mes gs i wont touch this wep with a stick.

DiogoSilva.7089

Actually i like that autoattack from hammer. Im really happy that they didnt made it similiar to mesmer gs auto as i cant stand it personally. If they ever going to make this hammer float like mes gs i wont touch this wep with a stick.

They don’t even need to make it float (although I personally would enjoy that). Just have the revenant do something more interesting than simply swinging through the air. It currently looks like they are trying to catch a dodging fly.

Scoobaniec.9561

They don’t even need to make it float (although I personally would enjoy that). Just have the revenant do something more interesting than simply swinging through the air. It currently looks like they are trying to catch a dodging fly.

Imo i dont see anything wrong with current animation. I bet it will look amazing on charr. But what you suggest then? Look at staff ele – they dont even use staff lol!

DiogoSilva.7089

Imo i dont see anything wrong with current animation. I bet it will look amazing on charr. But what you suggest then? Look at staff ele – they dont even use staff lol!

At the very least, the projectile should come out of the hammer, instead of simply popping up at the target instantly. Kind of like Guardian’s scepter AA (but with a different animation, of course). That, or the swinging animation should be less physical and more magical, like Guardian’s Staff.

Scoobaniec.9561

At the very least, the projectile should come out of the hammer, instead of simply popping up at the target instantly. Kind of like Guardian’s scepter AA (but with a different animation, of course). That, or the swinging animation should be less physical and more magical, like Guardian’s Staff.

If you take a closer look it doesnt pop up instantly at target. The swing animation itself charge energy then release it from hammer. To be more precise it actually looks like you throw mistic hammer, a copy of your weapon. And lets not forget that Rytlock was a warrior, thats where the psychical aspect comes from.

Im not a fan of guardian lootstick either btw. Scepter is not a good example considering the fact that you also swing with it to release energy.

Posted by: xXLuggXx.4018

xXLuggXx.4018

I think that it looks like you swing a mistical (Haha get it?) copy of your Hammer.

Attachments:

BrunoBRS.5178

i think they should just change the hammer AA animation to look more like the warrior GS and ranger GSthrow animation. an overhead motion, rather than “i’m just doing the normal hammer autoattack, but mini mallets are flying as i do it”

BrunoBRS.5178

I think that it looks like you swing a mistical (Haha get it?) copy of your Hammer.

that’s drop the hammer, the knockdown skill. the AA just throws some funny-looking mallets as the character swings the hammer back and forth wildly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=MfYvmHyqumA#t=620

you can see for yourself.

Posted by: Maugetarr.6823

Maugetarr.6823

I think it would be cool if you ended up doing more of a smooth swing coming back around over your head. If you’ve watched a charr swing a GS during auto attacks (the first 2 of 3) or part of 100b, you should understand what I mean. That’s a lot of mass that you’re not physically hitting something with, so it seems like it would make more sense to keep the momentum up and have that ghostly hammer just fly out during the initial part of the swing.

If you look at the link Bruno showed you can see it’s just an awkward stop in mid air. Channeling that momentum would be far more efficient in combat.

Blank Players [BDL]-Anvil Rock
Maugen Rawr- Thief/Ele
Rebalance Ideas for Thief

(edited by Maugetarr.6823)

Posted by: xXLuggXx.4018

xXLuggXx.4018

that’s drop the hammer, the knockdown skill. the AA just throws some funny-looking mallets as the character swings the hammer back and forth wildly.

I’m actually not that sure about that…
In the video the rev is wielding the hammer shown in my first picture. In the attachmemt the skill animation of drop the hammer looks more like a standard / blacksmith hammer
But you also could be right possibly it’s drop the Hammer…but that would mean that at least this skill changes according to your equiped weapon..cool

We’ll see what happens
I’m fine with the animations (with or without throwing your current weapon)
Actually it would look nice but is not "needed"because you are not throwing your hammer – you throw mist-energy

Attachments:

(edited by xXLuggXx.4018)

Posted by: DocZed.6973

DocZed.6973

That, or the swinging animation should be less physical and more magical, like Guardian’s Staff.

That’s exactly what the developers DON’T want, as stated many, many times during the Revenant’s teaser episode of POI.
They want the Revenant to be a brutal, very physical magic user, and they want to encourage a brawler playestyle. They WANT the Revenant to swing it like a regular hammer.

As the animation is right now, I think I prefer it.
In the beginning I was a little upset that the hammer was a ranged weapon, but now that I’ve seen the animation for the AA being very physical I’m looking forward to maining a hammer. Even when I’m ranging with enemies in my face, I can at least pretend I’m smacking them since it’s piercing AoE anyway.

As for the projectile, on the other hand, I’m jumping on the “I want to throw a ghostly version of my current hammer skin” train.

All 9 classes leveled and geared to 80!
Remnants of Hope [HOPE]: Tarnished Coast

(edited by DocZed.6973)

BrunoBRS.5178

I’m actually not that sure about that…
In the video the rev is wielding the hammer shown in my first picture. In the attachmemt the skill animation of drop the hammer looks more like a standard / blacksmith hammer
But you also could be right possibly it’s drop the Hammer…but that would mean that at least this skill changes according to your equiped weapon..cool

We’ll see what happens
I’m fine with the animations (with or without throwing your current weapon)
Actually it would look nice but is not "needed"because you are not throwing your hammer – you throw mist-energy

dude, you can see him autoattacking on the timeframe i linked. it looks nothing like the skill from the screenshot.

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

I think the autoattack animation could stand to have a little variation to make it feel more brutal, a single animation makes the hammer look like it doesn’t have any weight to it. It doesn’t have to be an exaggerated stagger, but something to give that sense the character needs to shift their balance and grip to reverse the swing.

Currently it looks like they’re either swinging a light pole or bouncing it off an invisible wall every time they swing.

Posted by: Maugetarr.6823

Maugetarr.6823

I think the autoattack animation could stand to have a little variation to make it feel more brutal, a single animation makes the hammer look like it doesn’t have any weight to it. It doesn’t have to be an exaggerated stagger, but something to give that sense the character needs to shift their balance and grip to reverse the swing.

Currently it looks like they’re either swinging a light pole or bouncing it off an invisible wall every time they swing.

Yeah, this is exactly what I was thinking. They need to swing through because stopping such a large hammer head like that would be pretty difficult.

Blank Players [BDL]-Anvil Rock
Maugen Rawr- Thief/Ele
Rebalance Ideas for Thief

DiogoSilva.7089

I just noticed in the videos released today that there’s a projectile coming out of the hammer’s AA. I didn’t notice it before (or maybe it wasn’t there, not sure, it’s a bit subtle), but it looks better now.

Posted by: MashMash.1645

MashMash.1645

I really hope the other weapons are viable. Those hammer animations are lame.

Pre-Ordered HoT | Recently started to get what I paid for – may spend $$$

Posted by: Cogadh.1845

Cogadh.1845

It’s early days, but I have to say from the videos I’ve seen, I find the overall visual ‘theme’ of the Rev…underwhelming. I think the best example in GW2 is the mesmer, it has a fantastic coherant visual style to it. I was hoping for a real interesting “From the Mists” theme, but I dunno, even the Legend switching is “meh”, icons above their heads… it doesn’t at all grab me style wise. Hopefully a lot of these are placeholders

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

I like the Animation.

But I must say, it looks like the Revenant likes to play Baseball. They should add a Baseball Bat skin to Hammers. lol