Revenant's Personal Story/Timeline Problems

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Bunnikk.2146

Bunnikk.2146

Will the Revenant have the same Personal Story as the original classes?

I ask this because it has the potential to affect the (already screwed up) Personal Story timeline. How can you play a class during the battle with and defeat of Zhaitan if the class (combat style and known magic) wasn’t discovered until Rytlock traversed through the Mists becoming the first Revenant?

I am hoping that the Revenant’s Personal Story will be separate and a personal trip through the Mists.

[RAWR] Monsters of Tyria
Monster of choice – Kitsune
Megaserver formerly known as Blackgate

Posted by: Malthurius.6870

Malthurius.6870

The Revenant’s abilities are very similar to those of the Ritualist from GW1. They probably pull from the same kind of magic from the mists.

The thing is, we as players have been to the mists a lot. If you ever PvPed, you’ve been to the mists where Rytlock learned of this magic. Professions in GW2 are less about being taught something new, and more about following your calling lorewise. It isn’t too far-fetched to say that there were potential Revenants before Rytlock discovered his powers if said character had a deep connection with the mists.

Think of it as if Revenants always existed and could be mastered just by virtue of being connected or interested in the mists.

So that’s the devils advocate; otherwise they’ll create a unique personal story for Revenants and racial choice for Revenant will have little bearing on anything… They’ll probably go with the easier to implement “Rytlock wasn’t the first, and Revenants could always have existed prior to Rytlock’s journey to the mists.”

Posted by: KryTiKaL.3125

KryTiKaL.3125

Actually it’s been entirely confirmed that Rytlock is the first Revenant and that he is going to be training new Revenants.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/87848/guild-wars-2-director-discusses-heart-of-thorns-revenants-guild-halls-and-more

Johanson: Rytlock Brimstone is the first Revenant. He is the famous hero of the Charr and during the Living World’s second season, he disappeared into the mists, chasing after an incredibly powerful magical sword. Through his journeys in the mists, he has mastered the power of the mists and he is returning to teach everyone how to be a Revenant.

We’ll just have to see how they intend to handle this. They have a good track record with keeping things like this canon (like in GW1 where the classes from the standalones were only able to be created on their respective continents they hailed from) so…we’ll see.

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

If I am perfectly honest, all Revenants being taught by Rytlock makes me not want to make one.

Posted by: SirMoogie.9263

SirMoogie.9263

The Mists is the oldest thing in existence, the proto-reality that exists between the worlds, constituting the fabric of time and space that connects the multiverse together. 1

The Mists have been known to project events of past, so I suspect future possibilities are not out of the question; including a future Rytlock imparting/unlocking the knowledge of Revenants to past warriors who enter the Mists. Of course, that means that Rytlock is no longer “the first” once some warrior from the past learns it… Time travel is a messy affair, but this is the best justification I can come up with that fits existing lore.

1The Mists

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

If I am perfectly honest, all Revenants being taught by Rytlock makes me not want to make one.

Good 1 less revenant.

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Actually it’s been entirely confirmed that Rytlock is the first Revenant and that he is going to be training new Revenants.

Considering we’re going to have thousands of new Revenants when HoT is released, Rytlock is the world’s best teacher.

Posted by: TannerPR.8450

TannerPR.8450

I imagine that there will be a brand new tutorial for each race with new questions during character creation and a whole new Personal Story for characters made after HoT release to go with the whole living story thing and then there won’t be any problems with the personal story