Revenant's Staff - Martial Artist Perspective

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Salvatore.3749

Salvatore.3749

Hello all,

I have scanned the forum and I am not sure if anyone else noticed the Revenant’s auto attack with staff.

As a martial artist, I have never been bothered by any weapon mechanics in this game. Sure, I have taken Haidong Gumdo and understand the mechanics of swinging a two handed sword, have learned how to fight with a staff for Tae Kwon Do, trained in Shaolin Kungkittenusing staff and swords, etc. However, my beta Revenant (a human male) using staff’s auto attack bothers me because towards the end of the chain, mechanically, he would hit himself in the head.

I am not sure if the body adjustments need to be made for human males or any other races, but I felt it worth providing the feedback.

I have included videos below the last couple paragraphs for review. They are short videos with simple forms and movements. Notice the positioning of their heads when swinging the staff overhead; subtle tilts.

Now for the specs of my computer, Dell Inspiron 3000 (Popular Dell Computer for 2014), graphical and video settings for the last Beta Event were set to medium for game play.

If anyone else noticed this same movement on human male Revenants, please comment so ANET may fix it.

Posted by: nacario.9417

nacario.9417

Thank you for providing these. Im sure many will agree with u that staff animations needs tweaking

Power Ranger PvP
I used to be a power ranger, now not sure anymore

Posted by: Kill.3458

Kill.3458

Look at the DD, would love a martial artists perspective on the Daredevil’s animations.

Posted by: Gav.1425

Gav.1425

I thought about something here and talking crap but OP’s feedback is actually pretty good.

+1

Posted by: feight.2704

feight.2704

Yes, the staff animation is very strange and not compelling at all.
+1 for bringing that up.

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

Agreed! Needs some tweaking.

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

Posted by: Redattack.7836

Redattack.7836

Agreed. I appreciate feedback like this, I have a thing for realism when it comes to weapon animations and such in fantasy games, I hate when things look overly exaggerated/impractical.

Posted by: Vennyhedgie.5369

Vennyhedgie.5369

I’ve already mentioned quite a few times the Revenant staff looked awkward, specifically for charr on their hands. Those animations still need tweaking.

Posted by: Runiir.6425

Runiir.6425

Vennyhedgie, sadly if you look at the charr from a biomechanical point of view them using many weapons make no sense. A staff would be too awkward for them, they don’t have the arm/body ratio to make proper use of a spinning weapon (their arms/legs are too short frankly). They even look awkward with certain 2h animations (anytime they raise a weapon over their head and swing down they would knock themselves out) of MANY weapons… guard hammer leap or war hammer blast come to mind as the but of the pole would slam their dome.

I agree with the OP, that animation needs tweaking.

Posted by: fluidmonolith.3584

fluidmonolith.3584

As a fellow martial artist, I actually think the Revenant’s staff is much better than Thief (from a martial standpoint). I hadn’t actually noticed the OP’s point before, but it I do agree with it. The animation does seem to add some blurring so that it’s not quite clear what the Rev is doing with his staff during the last hit of the AA chain.

The thief AA (similar to Revenant’s staff#3 block), has more problems in my opinion. This last hit in the autoattack animation uses a motion which spins the staff in a circle in front of the user. The staff should be spun using the character’s body movement rather than expecting it to rotate in plane about the character’s wrist without any force behind it. We can look at Ranger axe #5 which is, in my opinion, a pretty good (realistic) animation for a spinning motion, even though the weapon is different. Here’s an example for a spinning motion with the staff that, I think would be more realistic:

I can give the Revenant some leeway here since he’s using mist powers and the skill does actually look pretty cool for blocking attacks (staff #3), even if it’s not necessarily realistic. But on thief autoattack, the spinning looks kind of silly.

Maguuma
Astaxanthas (Revenant), Hepaticus (Engineer), Eosinophus (Thief)

Posted by: CandyHearts.6025

CandyHearts.6025

I am glad someone brought this up. I wasn’t sure if it was just be being a jerk about it.

I hope they tweak all the current staff animations added via elite spec.

Posted by: Vennyhedgie.5369

Vennyhedgie.5369

Vennyhedgie, sadly if you look at the charr from a biomechanical point of view them using many weapons make no sense. A staff would be too awkward for them, they don’t have the arm/body ratio to make proper use of a spinning weapon (their arms/legs are too short frankly). They even look awkward with certain 2h animations (anytime they raise a weapon over their head and swing down they would knock themselves out) of MANY weapons… guard hammer leap or war hammer blast come to mind as the but of the pole would slam their dome.

I agree with the OP, that animation needs tweaking.

To be more specific, it’s their saff auto attack animation that bothers me. The rest don’t look particularly bad, but on the third staff strike they spin the staf overhead, but their arms are completely rigid. Usually when a character does the spinning staff type of attack, their hands would twirl as if spinning the staff physically. This is not the case for charr.
For reference: https://youtu.be/0zvfijc3SN4?t=2241

Posted by: Runiir.6425

Runiir.6425

Ok that is just awkward looking for sure Venny.
My only char is an engineer…flamethrower amusement.