Revenant vs Ranger

Revenant vs Ranger

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Darkness.9732

Darkness.9732

Hello guys. I have a question for you : How a ranger can survive vs a revenant?^
Ranger has so many limits right now compared to other classes in terms of survival skills..for not to talk about pets limits. Fighting versus a revenant will simply be the end for ranger.

Learn to play issue you say?
MMM I think it s more like : ^^learn to survive versus ultra op classes issue^^ and rangers nowadays are used to that

What’s your opinion?^

Revenant vs Ranger

Posted by: Kronos.2560

Kronos.2560

If you limit yourself to be ONLY a bearbow I agree with you. But its about time we get more melee/variety among rangers!

Revenant vs Ranger

Posted by: Vikkela.7261

Vikkela.7261

Did you mean: shooting with your longbow from the front against a Revenant wielding a hammer that gives him access to a reflective wall on a short duration

So if your only plan is to shoot at him with your longbow then yes, you die, but luckily Ranger has access to many other weapons, skills and builds too.

9 Guardians later…

Revenant vs Ranger

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

As a ranger I’ll say the following, wait for the actual release to see how balanced the Rev skills will be.

Besides, rangers are fine with survival, 2 invulnerable skills, GS have 2 dodges and 1 block, sword have 2 dodges, dagger have a dodge, SB have a dodge, LB have stealth … pick a few of those and be happy.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Revenant vs Ranger

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

ranger is incredibly flexible and can survive very well in pvp… not sure where you get that they’re handicapped vs other classes, because it’s really not true.

As for revenant, right now they outdo every class in pvp, but they’re in very early beta phase and will be balanced out by the time the expansion is ready for release, trying to strategise against a class that will inevitably see major balance changes before it’s released is a bit poiintless

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Revenant vs Ranger

Posted by: Windsagio.1340

Windsagio.1340

50% uptime moving reflect is pretty insanely terrible for rangers though.

Revenant vs Ranger

Belzebu.3912

If you rely on LB, yeah, you’ll be screwed.
If you can handle yourself with GS or if you are a trapper then it’ll barely make a difference.

Revenant vs Ranger

Windsagio.1340

If you can handle yourself with GS or if you are a trapper then it’ll barely make a difference.

Longbow, Shortbow, Axe yeah.

I’m not sure we should be comfortable with a weapon skill that invalidates builds.

Revenant vs Ranger

Belzebu.3912

The SB and Axe is what made me say “barely make a difference” instead of “no difference at all”

But as I said, let’s wait for the actual release, currently we know that Revs are just way too strong in everything, 50% projectile reflection uptime, infinite stun breakers, pretty much 100% stability uptime, 1200 range AoE blast with low CD, low CD fire field + blast, obviously it will change.

Revenant vs Ranger

Posted by: Solori.6025

Solori.6025

I’m not sure we should be comfortable with a weapon skill that invalidates builds.

Put it this way,
If you CC or immobilize the revenant and then use rapid fire you should be fine.
If you plan is to stay at ranged and only use ranged weapons then your going to die.

Is it really a hard concept to think before you unload all your skills?

The world needs more KUNG FURY!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS5P_LAqiVg

Revenant vs Ranger

Posted by: Trixie.7614

Trixie.7614

What you fail to understand is that the game is in a really early stage. They can change the wall to be a big ol bomb in front of you. Be patient and see what it will be on release. Devs will most likely test rangers vs revenants and do something about it.

Glorious Human Master Race

Revenant vs Ranger

Windsagio.1340

The SB and Axe is what made me say “barely make a difference” instead of “no difference at all”

But as I said, let’s wait for the actual release, currently we know that Revs are just way too strong in everything, 50% projectile reflection uptime, infinite stun breakers, pretty much 100% stability uptime, 1200 range AoE blast with low CD, low CD fire field + blast, obviously it will change.

Oh I totally agree with what you’re saying there. As it exists it 100% negates a classes signature weapon and one of the more common pvp builds, and that’s kind of messed up.

They’ll likely re-examine it before release, along with the other things mentioned, on that you’re totally right

Revenant vs Ranger

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

You realize the skill you’re talking about blocks projectiles, yes? It does not reflect them.

Revenant vs Ranger

Kronos.2560

You realize the skill you’re talking about blocks projectiles, yes? It does not reflect them.

And then the silence, because nobody actually read the tooltip until now….

Revenant vs Ranger

Windsagio.1340

And then the silence, because nobody actually read the tooltip until now….

I didn’t play beta, so I just go by what they tell me :p

It’s still a pretty nuts skill, but that’s better >>

~~~

Revenant vs Ranger

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Don’t forget that you’ll have to swap pets if you’re using a spider….and you won’t be able to throw the greatsword either.
Oh, and no throw torch for Condi builds.

Revenant vs Ranger

Posted by: Cbomb.4310

Cbomb.4310

It blocks not reflects.

Revenant vs Ranger

Posted by: Scoobaniec.9561

Scoobaniec.9561

Why you told them about it?

Revenant vs Ranger

Windsagio.1340

Don’t forget that you’ll have to swap pets if you’re using a spider….and you won’t be able to throw the greatsword either.
Oh, and no throw torch for Condi builds.

Warhorn’s untouched!!!

For the sake of the discussion (and to make it clear I’m not really up in arms about this, rev balance is going to be examined heavily as part of the beta process anwyays, and we’re not to the pvp beta yet):

Ranger ranged attacks negated by this:
LB: 1,2,3,4
SB: 1,2,3,4,5
Axe: 1,2,3,4
Torch: 4
Dagger: 5 (I think 5 is the throw)
Greatsword: 4 (on cancelling block)

Ranged attacks that don’t care:
LB: 5
warhorn 5

Melee attacks:
LS: 1,2,3
GS: 1,2,3,5
Axe: 5
Dagger 4

The vast vast majority of ranger attacks are physical projectiles. This is fine, it’s an interesting trait of the class. Nevertheless, a very high uptime block makes for an absurdly bad matchup

Revenant vs Ranger

Posted by: Loxsus.3841

Loxsus.3841

So I take it they with the stress test they haven’t introduced new changes in trait lines for existing classes?

Because as a ranger, out utilities kind of suck. We are known for a banner that can die (spirits). That’s about it. Sigils are useful but boring and mostly only affect us (outside of the condition removing one) and our shouts are bad and rarely used. Traps are situational which I suppose is fine for what they are, and survival skills are once again selfish and meh. Lightning reflexes giving vigor to everyone would be nice, for example T_T.

I was really hoping they’d go through the talent trees as well and basically go to TOWN on them to make them all appealing to encourage builds.

From what I hear, what little they’ve shown of Revanant trees are interesting.

To be clear I don’t want this JUST for ranger. All classes need giant talent tree overhauls. But judging from the past and how long people have been shouting for this, I assume it’s not a priority.

EDIT – And also, I’m aware this is just the demo that people are playing but I haven’t heard much talk at all about fixing other classes and really just talking about the new subclass they are getting. The problem is the trees on all classes are mostly BAD. Entire overhauls are needed in a lot of cases.

(edited by Loxsus.3841)

Revenant vs Ranger

CETheLucid.3964

Why you told them about it?

It’s not like the facts ever stopped the QQ train. Bad rangers won’t be able to pew pew pew a hammer revenant.

But since they’re bad, they’ll try it anyway, get properly rekt, and come back here to the forums to QQ about how “OP” revenant is.

The especially ruined ones will go about it with some massive three post rant that’s poorly worded, poorly spaced, and generally cancer to read.

Win/win for everyone else.

Entertaining forum posts, free kills for revs (and pretty much everyone else). Good times.

Revenant vs Ranger

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

no one even know what the meta is for revenant. hammer might be terrible for spvp that no one use it anyway.

Just wait and see. Too hard to predict.

Revenant vs Ranger

Posted by: Pecar.1236

Pecar.1236

hammer is terrible for solo target but it will be very effective vs wvw zerg train but dont know why all say omg revenat is op revenant vs warrior/guard when we dont see other legends and weapons and trait lines

Revenant vs Ranger

Windsagio.1340

no one even know what the meta is for revenant. hammer might be terrible for spvp that no one use it anyway.

Just wait and see. Too hard to predict.

No harm in talking about it now. We’ll surely talk about it a lot more when they get to beta’ing PVP

Revenant vs Ranger

Scoobaniec.9561

Unless we wont see the whole picture of revenant – all weapons, legends, traits and how they perform in pvp we cant judge them yet. In open dumbed down pve everything will be op.

In case of hammer in current state i dont see it as a good weapon either due to long auto and even longer drop the hammer. Anyone that played warrior with rifle before buff to killshot knows how hard it was to land it actually (and still is), drop the hammer will be even harder to land at this point. Hammer auto and drop the hammer could use a buff at this point from spvp perspective

Revenant vs Ranger

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

Admittedly, I was all thumbs and noob with the Revenant yesterday during the beta. I was surprised that Hammer 1 is a 100% projectile finisher and then 2 blast finishers. Procing fields was WAY too easy.

Now, what if there’s a trait that turns blocks into reflects??????

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Revenant vs Ranger

Scoobaniec.9561

Admittedly, I was all thumbs and noob with the Revenant yesterday during the beta. I was surprised that Hammer 1 is a 100% projectile finisher and then 2 blast finishers. Procing fields was WAY too easy.

Now, what if there’s a trait that turns blocks into reflects????

Staff 1 in earth is also 100% physical projectile. Why i dont see anyone complaining about it? And i doubt they give him a trait to reflect projectiles as it would be stupidly broken at this point.

Revenant vs Ranger

Posted by: Shadelang.3012

Shadelang.3012

If your talking about longbow ranger vs rev ive got a few ideas.

Cripple field followed by rapid fire to force him to burn energy keeping up absorb wall. Have wolf or other cc based pet move in through the wall and wind up. When the rev is kncoked down/ccd swap to melee weapon and zip in past his walls radius (the pre shot will give you an idea) melee him while swapping pets for another cc lock. When weapon swap is off cooldown sword 2 or gs 3 away swap weapons mid animation and proceed to kite while staying just INSIDE his radius. Rinse and repeat not letting yourself get clipped by drop the hammer or moving outside the wall on accident. He cant bring the wall any closer to him or push it further away. Meaning you have a very clear gap between him and the wall you can kite in.

Ghost Yak

Revenant vs Ranger

Posted by: Kodiak.3281

Kodiak.3281

New class! Panic and all board the panic train! Choo choo!

Kodiak X – Blackgate

Revenant vs Ranger

Kronos.2560

Rev wall stays a fixed distance away from him. If you get inside that distance it is no longer an issue/also if rev is not looking at you the wall will not help him. Not really that op.

Revenant vs Ranger

Posted by: fluidmonolith.3584

fluidmonolith.3584

Having 50% uptime on a projectile block does sound pretty strong. But I personally would feel very nervous running hammer in anything but a zerg. What do you do if you get jumped by a thief? Or a warrior comes at you? When your attacker fights best at melee range and you have no gap creators, immobilize, knockback, etc…

Do you just autoattack and throw out a phase smash every now and then and hope to not die? Strong as Field of the Mists may sound, it’s probably not worth the tradeoff to me (from a solo/roaming or dueling standpoint).

Maguuma
Astaxanthas (Revenant), Hepaticus (Engineer), Eosinophus (Thief)

Revenant vs Ranger

Solori.6025

New class! Panic and all board the panic train! Choo choo!

why does this sound like a panic at the disco song title?

Revenant vs Ranger

Posted by: Kurow.3076

Kurow.3076

I hate you so much. ;[

I was having so much fun reading all the whiny posts.

Revenant vs Ranger

Posted by: Khenzy.9348

Khenzy.9348

You have to be a little shortsighted if you think a 50% uptime on a proyectile blocker such as this one will stay as it is come release (or shortly after it).

Revenant vs Ranger

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

I hate you so much. ;[

LOL – I was wondering. . . .

Gone to Reddit.

Revenant vs Ranger

Posted by: Nephrite.6954

Nephrite.6954

You seriously sound like another scrubby longbow power ranger who’s afraid of getting wiped by a revenant because they can block projectiles with their hammer==

Revenant vs Ranger

Scoobaniec.9561

I hate you so much. ;[

Well thats the problem with ppl. They always spreading bs just to see something nerfed instead of adapting. To this day i rebember that whining about warrior with 6 weapons that could gap close with rush, swap to longbow for pin down, swap again to axe for eviscrate and finish them off with hammer and clean condition with sword/warhorn on 30/30/30/30/30 build

These old good times..xd sadly it also shows how simply minded this community is when they dont even understand that “Effectiveness Increased: 50%” doesnt not imply that fury automatically increase is upped to 50% crit chance but 30%. I have seen a lot of bs running around lately that they dont even need zerk gear due to this

(edited by Scoobaniec.9561)

Revenant vs Ranger

Posted by: Bovan.9481

Bovan.9481

I don’t consider longbow Rangers a threat on any class. Granted there are actual good longbow Rangers out there, but I barely encounter any Rangers who adapt and continue fighting when I move into melee range. They usually just curl up in fetal position, begin rocking back and forth and then start sobbing.

Bovan Ironwrench – Bovan Sundermist
Immortal Kingdom [KING]

Revenant vs Ranger

Posted by: CutePicsHunter.7430

CutePicsHunter.7430

Does that matter, or are you that bad so you would keep shooting at projectile blocking/reflecting wall? I don’t play ranger btw.

HoT is just a cash grab.
Almost nothing in this game will ever be fixed.
Anet fix things only if it might increase gemstore sales.

Revenant vs Ranger

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

What you fail to understand is that the game is in a really early stage. They can change the wall to be a big ol bomb in front of you. Be patient and see what it will be on release. Devs will most likely test rangers vs revenants and do something about it.

well, in all fairness, it still does not make sense to start with abilities that are clearly past breaking point at first sight. If R. is really as powerful as several beta testers claim, then it should have been realized by Anet themselves. When you want to build a hut, you don´t start out with a palace because you can chip away structure later anyway.

Revenant vs Ranger

Solori.6025

well, in all fairness, it still does not make sense to start with abilities that are clearly past breaking point at first sight. If R. is really as powerful as several beta testers claim, then it should have been realized by Anet themselves. When you want to build a hut, you don´t start out with a palace because you can chip away structure later anyway.

That’s the issue.

They went to build a hut and made a straw tent.
Then the people living under rocks saw the tent as a palace.
While everyone else that came from a palace saw it as a tent.

The revenant has a lot of great skills ON PAPER.
On paper the revenant looks like all that and a bag of chips.
Then you play it and its actually a bag of Doritos (cool ranch not cheese)

3-6 months. Some minor changes to the class with happen but there will be a massive wall of QQ, then people that actually know how to pvp with teach some of the QQ’ers OR the QQ’ers will make a rev, get stomped and stop coming to the forums.

it’s going to be like rangers when LB got buffed.

(edited by Solori.6025)

Revenant vs Ranger

Posted by: Chrono.6928

Chrono.6928

Hello guys. I have a question for you : How a ranger can survive vs a revenant?^
Ranger has so many limits right now compared to other classes in terms of survival skills..for not to talk about pets limits. Fighting versus a revenant will simply be the end for ranger.

Learn to play issue you say?
MMM I think it s more like : ^^learn to survive versus ultra op classes issue^^ and rangers nowadays are used to that

What’s your opinion?^

Won’t rangers get a new weapon too like the other classes? Maybe it will be OP against revs for all u know?

Revenant vs Ranger

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

I don’t consider longbow Rangers a threat on any class. Granted there are actual good longbow Rangers out there, but I barely encounter any Rangers who adapt and continue fighting when I move into melee range. They usually just curl up in fetal position, begin rocking back and forth and then start sobbing.

Most just stand up and keep atacking at the melee position with LB waiting their 3k-4k auto atack kills the target… problem is most time works :\ if not playign with focus/meditation build, i really hope revenant will bring or force players to try other builds cause this game if not playing supbar buildd for class X is a expect to loose situation.
But still adding a class that goes to pretend to balance a game….

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

Revenant vs Ranger

CETheLucid.3964

Does that matter, or are you that bad so you would keep shooting at projectile blocking/reflecting wall? I don’t play ranger btw.

Attachments: