Revenant will be like elementalist

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: braq.1298

braq.1298

This is just my idea, nothing confirmed.

If you read the last interview with colin at shacknews colin describes revenants skills. And my big guess is revenant skills and bars (f1-f2-f3-f4) will look like elementalist. We can swap (channel) spirits and skill bars change..

Here what he says at the interview

“you can channel the great Dwarf king, King Jalis Ironhammer, and it makes your character much of a front line, tank-y character with abilities to help him survive fighting face-to-face with your enemies. Or you can channel the demon Malik and get the abilities to control the conditions in combat and become much stronger in DPS, supporting your party by removing conditions from them to protect them. Those are the examples of the types of things that a Revenant can do when channeling a legend and each legend that’s going to be available to a Revenant really defines a different play style that’s available for that profession.”

Posted by: Malthurius.6870

Malthurius.6870

I don’t think it’ll be exactly like the elementalist, but I do agree that Revenants won’t have weapon swap, if only because there isn’t a soldier with that mechanic yet.

There will probably be a unique spin the mechanic where it isn’t just switching legends f1-f4. I could see it working closer to the engineer and their kits though, but instead of getting a new weapon, it just modifies the current weapon you have equipped; like a hybrid between elementalist attunements and engineer kits.

Posted by: Jokubas.4265

Jokubas.4265

Yeah, doing something like the Elementalist really matches what we know, but I’d be shocked if it was such a close copy, considering how distinct they’ve tried to make the classes.

Perhaps the channeling will be less choosing a legend over an element, and more like the Dervish. A temporary change leading to a more notable alteration/buff.

(edited by Jokubas.4265)

Posted by: MrTJpwnz.4710

MrTJpwnz.4710

Maybe it works differently as it would be a heavy copy of a ele.

When you channel to someone you will get a certain buff. Also when channeling to a certain legendary person you will get increased stats. So for Jalis Ironhammer it would be like +150 vitality & thoughness + a buff that gives you protection everytime you hit someone (with a few secs cooldown) and gives regeneration when you are hit.

it’s just a concept, nothing confirmed etc etc. I just hope it’s not a exact copy of the engi or ele mechanics…

Posted by: Vehzz.2345

Vehzz.2345

Apparently it will change all the back half of the skill bar. So weapon skills wont be affected. Got this info from a article from euro gamer.

Johanson explains to me: “[Channelling a legend] actually changes out the entire back-half of your skillbar, so your heal skill, your utilities and your elite are all determined by the Legend you are currently channelling.” Apparently there are traits that “play off” these abilities and combo strongly.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-01-29-guild-wars-2-heart-of-thorns-expansion-level-cap-gear-tier

Posted by: Crash.5362

Crash.5362

What I hope for, is that the Revenant isnt just a spellcaster in heavy armor and haves some actuall melee fighting and brutality to him…

Guardians’s attacks are all flashy with blue magic and stuff. Would love to see something a little closer to a Warrior on Revenant.

Thats my personal opinion, at least.

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

Generally, the “back half” of the skill bar is also the “least interesting half” of the skill bar. It’s the weapon skills and the profession mechanics that make combat fun, not simplistic utilities with high cooldowns and gimmick elites with even higher cooldowns. Some exceptions exist, of course (Lightning Flash, Portal, reflect skills, etc). But even in pvp, most of the back half skills are relegated to “filler” stun breakers or “filler” condition cleansing.

Which makes me even more curious about Revenant. Will it follow the unexciting tradition of the back half of the skill bar, or will it break it and make it more exciting than usual?

It also makes me guess it’ll kind of work like a more active version of dervish forms. Dervish avatars didn’t change your skillbar, but they gave you plenty of skill-enhancing abilities, to the point where it felt like you had “upgraded” your skills. I wonder if the channeled utilities will create a similar experience, but with active skills instead of being entirely passive?

Finally, if legends replace your utilities, and weapon skills are their own, then what will be the revenant’s normal utilities? Will all of them be legends? Probably so, as you won’t have much use to equip “normal” utilities, when those normal utilities are to be replaced by legends all (?) the time. So I’m guessing their legends will be their utilities (and elites, and heals). Which would make revenants more customisable to each player, but it also frees up their profession mechanic to something else.

Theories.

(edited by DiogoSilva.7089)

Posted by: ensoriki.5789

ensoriki.5789

Wondering if it will be Dervish like.
I’d be very intrigued if it is a homeage to the Dervish, it seemed so based on the description of channeling legends coming off like the avatar states.

Would hope so given how much I enjoyed my Dervish.

The great forum duppy.

Posted by: Ghotistyx.6942

Ghotistyx.6942

During the announcement they said the Channels would affect the weapons skills too, so there’s that.

I was definitely thinking along the lines of it being similar to ele and elements, but more like every skill is a glyph. Each of the glyphs change based on what element you’re in, so I’d expect the Revenant’s skills will act similarly across the board.

This could also explain the spear like weapon we saw in the trailer. If it is indeed confirmed there are not spears on land (the hearsay by some redditor doesn’t do it for me), then it would make sense than channeling a certain hero would give a Staff a more melee look and melee abilities. Food for thought.

Fishsticks

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

I actually think they will be more like Engineers. You put the Hero to Channel on your skill bar and activating it changes to that Hero “kit” (like weapon kits).

If it ends up being like Elementalist then the class will be limited to channeling 4 Heroes total (and that will be a MAJOR disappointment for me).

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: Malthurius.6870

Malthurius.6870

Apparently it will change all the back half of the skill bar. So weapon skills wont be affected. Got this info from a article from euro gamer.

Johanson explains to me: “[Channelling a legend] actually changes out the entire back-half of your skillbar, so your heal skill, your utilities and your elite are all determined by the Legend you are currently channelling.” Apparently there are traits that “play off” these abilities and combo strongly.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-01-29-guild-wars-2-heart-of-thorns-expansion-level-cap-gear-tier

I’m struggling to wrap my head around this idea. How do they choose what legend to channel then?

Is choosing a legend part of their profession mechanic (f1-f4)? That would limit them to 4 legends which I can’t see being a thing.

Will Revenants have free choice of utilities like other professions? Or are they limited to pre-loaded sets… that would be pretty poor in my opinion. Maybe they have a set of utilities to choose from for each legend they channel, and then they’ll have potentially more utility options than any other profession.

Maybe each utility has a unique version based on the legend you’re channeling. Maybe you change legends through the utilities and that changes your utility bar and causes the utility you used to channel legend to become the way to revert or stop the channel.

Maybe channeling legends works like profession specializations, so Revenants might be the only profession with many specializations from the start.

This info that channeling a legend swaps out your utilities (when I say utility, I mean the entire back half of your skills clearly) has only given me more questions.

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

Yeah, doing something like the Elementalist really matches what we know, but I’d be shocked if it was such a close copy, considering how distinct they’ve tried to make the classes.

Perhaps the channeling will be less choosing a legend over an element, and more like the Dervish. A temporary change leading to a more notable alteration/buff.

They say channeling changes your heal, utilities and elites not weapon skills.

So the class functions like an Elementalist’s glyph skills. That’s the difference.

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

I’m struggling to wrap my head around this idea. How do they choose what legend to channel then?

Is choosing a legend part of their profession mechanic (f1-f4)? That would limit them to 4 legends which I can’t see being a thing.

Will Revenants have free choice of utilities like other professions? Or are they limited to pre-loaded sets… that would be pretty poor in my opinion. Maybe they have a set of utilities to choose from for each legend they channel, and then they’ll have potentially more utility options than any other profession.

Maybe each utility has a unique version based on the legend you’re channeling. Maybe you change legends through the utilities and that changes your utility bar and causes the utility you used to channel legend to become the way to revert or stop the channel.

Maybe channeling legends works like profession specializations, so Revenants might be the only profession with many specializations from the start.

This info that channeling a legend swaps out your utilities (when I say utility, I mean the entire back half of your skills clearly) has only given me more questions.

Balance wise,

I predict the Revenant mechanics will work like this:

Out of combat you choose 3 out of 6 Legends to link with.

In combat those three legends you choose allow you to switch to their skills using f1-f3

Changing spirits effect the back half of your skill bar. So only Heals, utilities and elites change.

Weapon skills don’t change.

Each Heal, utility and Elite function as a glyph which changes the skill depending on your channel you are in.

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

If each utility works like a glyph, then they’re going to need a massive amount of text for each legend that exists, unless there’s only 4 legends to choose at max.

Another possibility, is that you equip a legend much like you would equip a pet, and only then will you be able to choose your utility skills.

And yet another possibility, chanelling legends won’t occur all the time in battle, so you’ll be using normal utilities sometimes, special utilities other times.