Rewarding a random sample is in poor taste.

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Black Box.9312

Black Box.9312

Giving heroic chests via in-game mail to players who participated in the previous HoT stress test is a bit of a slap in the face to those who were eager to get in but did not receive access. It’s a bit like paying people for having their names drawn from a hat.

Hopefully this doesn’t become a trend.

Posted by: tirenareikasu.8915

tirenareikasu.8915

That’s not accurate as some people did not get into any beta for HoT and still have a chest or two. Best not to assume things when you are not sure

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

This is why we cant have nice things…

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

It’s entirely possible this is a bug and not related to the stress test. Check the larger thread on this and — if you feel like taking the time — tabulate the reporting posters’ situations to see if there is any universal factor in who did and did not get the chests.

Also wait a day. In previous intended giveaways, ANet has staggered them over two or three days. I know I didn’t get my surprise mails today until others had already started to report it happening in game. Perhaps you’ll have your bonus mail soon and then you’ll feel a lot less slapped.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

There’s an explanation on this in news subforum already. Basically, it wasn’t an intended effect by itself, but rather a sideeffect of upgrading older accounts to be beta-compatible, which turned them into heroic edition accounts.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Donari.5237

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

woah, is this the smoking gun to why old accounts are unlucky and the new accounts are lucky?

Posted by: DaShi.1368

DaShi.1368

Probably.

100% agree that this is a slap in the face to players who couldn’t participate in the last beta.

Donari.5237

If so it would have been nice to get a portal in the SW round I did after getting the mail. Still not that lucky.

I don’t know that those who didn’t get the forced upgrade along with the mailed items need to feel that slapped. If your account’s old enough to be the original version, you’re likely already doing quite well with skins and 18 slot boxes and don’t really need the xp boosters.

For me it was more of an inventory management hassle than anything, though I was surprised to find I’d never bought the Krytan Medium Armor … likely because I only have one Medium female, my unplayed Norn Ranger, and the set is hideous on men so my Norn Engie and Human Thief aren’t touching it.

Nothing in this surprise mini-bonus is so uniquely amazing or impossible to get that anyone should feel “slapped” for not receiving it, in my opinion. I’d be saying that even if I hadn’t been one of the old accounts that got brought up to date.

Posted by: Jinroh.4251

Jinroh.4251

Wow…I wonder how many are kittened off. I’m a tad disappointed.

Posted by: Blanche Neige.7241

Blanche Neige.7241

Probably.

100% agree that this is a slap in the face to players who couldn’t participate in the last beta.

Aww com’on.

It’s not as if this chest gives away tremendous stuff anyway….

Posted by: Zalavaaris.5329

Zalavaaris.5329

Are you talking about that random hero chest I got yesterday? I had no idea what it was from but I know I got a whopping 1k karma out of it. lol

Blanche Neige.7241

If you read carefully, their account was upgraded to the Heroic Edition because the game edition these players had previously is not offered for sale anymore. The basic edition is now the Heroic edition. So when they wanted to downgrade their beta tester’s beta game edition to their previous one, that was the easiest way to do it.

If a player already had the heroic edition or a better one, he probably received nothing.

(edited by Blanche Neige.7241)

Black Box.9312

Nothing in this surprise mini-bonus is so uniquely amazing or impossible to get that anyone should feel “slapped” for not receiving it, in my opinion. I’d be saying that even if I hadn’t been one of the old accounts that got brought up to date.

It’s more about the principle than it is about the contents of the gift. If two people want to participate in an activity, and you randomly choose one of them, it’s almost insulting to then further reward the participant with a bonus souvenir just to “thank them for participating”. The participation IS the reward already.

If you read carefully, their account was upgraded to the Heroic Edition because the game edition these players had previously is not offered for sale anymore. The basic edition is now the Heroic edition. So when they wanted to downgrade their beta tester’s beta game edition to their previous one, that was the easiest way to do it.

If a player already had the heroic edition or a better one, he probably received nothing.

Source? If this is the case I’d have appreciated it if this were made more clear from the outset, because I frequent these forums as well as the GW2 subreddit and receive emails regarding the game, and none of these sources had told me anything about this. I, like many others, took to asking others what the cause was, and it seemed to be a common consensus that players who participated in the stress test were the ones receiving the in-game mail.

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

Source? If this is the case I’d have appreciated it if this were made more clear from the outset, because I frequent these forums as well as the GW2 subreddit and receive emails regarding the game, and none of these sources had told me anything about this. I, like many others, took to asking others what the cause was, and it seemed to be a common consensus that players who participated in the stress test were the ones receiving the in-game mail.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/info/news/Heroic-Edition-Items-Delivered-to-Beta-Participants/first#post5033783

There you go.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Posted by: DarkWasp.7291

DarkWasp.7291

Could we, the people with the original DD or CE version who did not get in a stress test, at least get the DD upgrade gemstore item pulled off the market?

I feel that 2000 gem offer and lack o’ acknowledgement that we already own a special edition is in bad taste.

NOTE: I put o’ instead of “of” due to censor. Hah!

^ Uses Guild Wars 2 character screenshots for desktop wallpapers.

Black Box.9312

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/info/news/Heroic-Edition-Items-Delivered-to-Beta-Participants/first#post5033783

There you go.

It’s still just rewarding people that were in the randomly sampled beta test. It should stand to reason that for the sake of consistency, they should upgrade ALL accounts that have the discontinued SKU.

Blanche Neige.7241

It’s still just rewarding people that were in the randomly sampled beta test.

It’s NOT a reward…

Black Box.9312

It’s NOT a reward…

Yes it is. The intention and the contents are both irrelevant. Players who were invited to participate in the beta received a bonus item that players who were not picked for the beta did not receive, and that’s poor practice.

Blanche Neige.7241

Yes it is. The intention and the contents are both irrelevant. Players who were invited to participate in the beta received a bonus item that players who were not picked for the beta did not receive, and that’s poor practice.

Ok, read careful and try to understand…

1 – There are/were various types of editions for this game. At one time there was one type of edition called “Digital Edition”. That edition is now discontinued and no new account can be made for it (keep this in mind, it’s important for later.)

2 – When you are chosen for a beta, you game edition is changed to a beta edition (or whatever name they give it). This game edition add an additional beta character slot to the account.

3 – To make sure those players who took part in the first beta cannot enter the next one (it would be unfair for them to take the spots of those who farmed for so long to get a portal, right?), they must make sure to remove their beta character slot. The best way to do it is to downgrade the beta testers’ game edition to their previous ones.

4 – So, players with Heroic Edition, Digital Deluxe Edition and Collectors Edition have theirs returned to their previous state. Now remember what I told you at point 1 : the Digital Edition is discontinued and no new accounts can be made for it. What happens to the players who had this game edition previous to it being promoted to Beta edition? It cannot be brought back to Digital Edition, since no new account can be made for it (and yes, changing a game edition is the same as creating a new account for the game database)

5 – They had two choices : bring back the Digital Edition (very complicated), or promote those who had Digital Edition to the next one available in line : Heroic edition (easy to do).

6 – They then choose this way of doing things. One side effect of promoting those accounts was that they received the benefit of upgrading an account to the next best one : they got the Suit of Legacy Armor, one Mithril Box and 10 Experience Boosters. (and quite frankly, beside the suit or armor, it’s nothing really valuable)

7- If they did their things right, no one who already had the Heroic, Digital Deluxe or Collector edition should have received the box (since they already got those when they bought their games). I’m not certain about this, so if someone who was in the beta and had one of those game edition can confirm they did not received it?

So, no, it was not a reward. If it was, all those who took part in the beta test would have received the same reward, which is apparently not the case.

(and if you want to know, I too have the digital edition, I have not taken part in the beta event and I did not received that heroic chest and I don’t much care if a few players got it because of what happened. It’s not as if they received a legendary weapon or a full set of ascended armor…)

DaShi.1368

Probably.

Aww com’on.

It’s not as if this chest gives away tremendous stuff anyway….

It is to me.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

I think it would be fair to also upgrade those with the no longer used SKU that were not part of the beta stress test. Disclaimer, I have the base version (the outdated SKU version) but have already bought all those skins from the gem store. I don’t have much use for the mithril box or the experience boosters so I’m not posting this out of self interest.

The Burninator

DaShi.1368

Now that we know Beta Testers get extra rewards on top of getting to play the game early (which some of us don’t really care about), is it too late to try for the portal drop?

DaShi.1368

It’s NOT a reward…

100% agree with this. It was a bad move on their part and a slap in the face to the rest of us.

Blanche Neige.7241

100% agree with this. It was a bad move on their part and a slap in the face to the rest of us.

Speak for yourself, I don’t feel slapped at all.

Posted by: Kindeller.3072

Kindeller.3072

Regardless of how you look at it, there are now people with the old edition that’s no longer available and just because they didn’t get an invite to the beta they have missed out on a free upgrade.

All of these old no longer existing account types should be upgraded in this case. At least in my opinion! :/

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

…rather weird that i had to pay for the upgrade and others dont. I mean im not ranting or satly…im just sayin.. sorta weird

Black Box.9312

Ok, read careful and try to understand…

I understand perfectly what the reasoning was. But you don’t seem to understand that it’s still giving preferential treatment to a random sample, regardless of whether or not that was the intention.

Posted by: Azala Yar.7693

Azala Yar.7693

Giving heroic chests via in-game mail to players who participated in the previous HoT stress test is a bit of a slap in the face to those who were eager to get in but did not receive access. It’s a bit like paying people for having their names drawn from a hat.

It’s not a slap in the face at all, they’re being rewarded for their participation which is fine. Wanting to participate isn’t the same as actually participating.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

It’s not a slap in the face at all, they’re being rewarded for their participation which is fine. Wanting to participate isn’t the same as actually participating.

Except some people that were selected and didn’t participate still got the rewards. So it certainly isn’t a reward for participation.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Heroic-Chest-received/page/2#post5033175

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Heroic-Chest-received/page/2#post5033482

Some people got double rewards as well and others 4K Tomes of Influence (assigned to the DD version and not the Heroic) that was not explained in the news post:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Heroic-Chest-received/page/2#post5033409

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Heroic-Chest-received/page/2#post5033493

In my opinion this was a bug that got explained away by talking about discontinued SKUs. The fact that it was all over the forum all day with no explanation until the end of the day where it was posted in a news post that can’t be responded to is suspect. The fact that there was no red post in the threads discussing this where it was open to questions is suspect. Like I said before, they should upgrade everyone that wasn’t in beta that have the old SKU just to be fair.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Posted by: Rayti.6531

Rayti.6531

7- If they did their things right, no one who already had the Heroic, Digital Deluxe or Collector edition should have received the box (since they already got those when they bought their games). I’m not certain about this, so if someone who was in the beta and had one of those game edition can confirm they did not received it?

I participated in the stress test, owned a Digital Deluxe Edition before that and received 2 Heroic Chests via ingame mail yesterday.

What I think that happened:

I had an early access account/pre-order version of GW2 which included the Hero’s Band on character creation. (I’m sure this is also an edition of the game, that now doesn’t exist anymore)

I purchased the Digital Deluxe Edition soon after release, which only included Mini Rytlock, a 2-week Banker Golem on character creation and the Mistfire Elite (+ the Hero’s Band on char creation which I already had through the early access/pre-order edition) at that time. This version/edition of the game also doesn’t seem to exist anymore, since the Digital Deluxe Edition included more in later versions.

Maybe I received a Heroic Chest for each discontinued version of the game I owned before I got the “Beta upgrade”…?

(edited by Rayti.6531)

Posted by: DeamonSamurai.6504

DeamonSamurai.6504

Ummm… I didn’t receive anything for being in the first HoT test…..

Posted by: Kodiak.3281

Kodiak.3281

My understanding was that it was a bug.

They had these accounts flagged as a “beta” account. Then when they reset them they flagged it back as a “Heroic” account which is why some people got the chests. Wasn’t intentional nor meant as a reward for HOT testers.

Kodiak X – Blackgate

Posted by: Solori.6025

Solori.6025

Wait..
So..OP is mad that people that had a discountinued version of the game had to be compensated because anet switched the type of accounts they had?

You realize how petty this sounds?
It was a bug, anet fixed it, end of story.

Life isn’t fair, nor will it ever be.

Secondly, not every beta tester got a heroic chest, only people that had old, discontinued versions of the game.

Grow the kitten up

The world needs more KUNG FURY!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS5P_LAqiVg

Blanche Neige.7241

If it was not intended a sa reward then the question that comes to mind is : why are they not upgrading to Heroic edition all the old accounts that many players still have?

Posted by: Zania.8461

Zania.8461

Wait..
So..OP is mad that people that had a discountinued version of the game had to be compensated because anet switched the type of accounts they had?

Secondly, not every beta tester got a heroic chest, only people that had old, discontinued versions of the game.

Grow the kitten up

1) It was not a bug, original Heroic Editions did not come with these items, they were added to newer version of HE.
2) No one (I hope) would complain if ANet did a batch job and gave the same Heroic Chest to ALL people with ‘old’ HE accounts.

What happened here is that only a portion of HE accounts got updated, based on whether they participated in beta or not. THAT is why some people are upset – because beta invites are random and thus a random set of accounts got upgraded, not a full set.

Note, I do not have an old HE account, so I stand absolutely nothing to gain. I am personally just annoyed at a) Poor communication, as we were notified of this quite a bit after a set of people posted about getting the said items and b) randomness in which accounts got upgraded.

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

Probably.

takes a drink

Black Box.9312

Wait..

Grow the kitten up

Clearly you and I are not on the same page.

Donari.5237

If it was not intended a sa reward then the question that comes to mind is : why are they not upgrading to Heroic edition all the old accounts that many players still have?

I hope they are! But that could be an accounting and tracking issue, as well as involving thousands of accounts some of which are inactive. Not something they can just wave a wand at.

Posted by: Kaz.5430

Kaz.5430

I hope they are! But that could be an accounting and tracking issue, as well as involving thousands of accounts some of which are inactive. Not something they can just wave a wand at.

You realise, that once we get closer to the release of HoT, there will ‘most probably’ be a fully open beta? It’s not a guarantee, but it’s a pretty likely guess IMO.

When that open beta concludes, they will need to take away access from everyone in preparation for the actual xpac release, and at that time pretty much everyone who didn’t already get a heroic chest, will end up with one, for the exact reasons why some of us just did.

I would guess that by the time the beta is over, everyone will have received a heroic chest, either when they first purchased the game, or when they first have beta access taken away.

Monarchy - 15 year old browser-based game and roleplay community
Table Warfare Miniatures - Armatures, Custom Miniatures, Moulds etc.

Blanche Neige.7241

You realise, that once we get closer to the release of HoT, there will ‘most probably’ be a fully open beta?

You realise it’s very unlikely they will do a full open beta. It’s doubtful they will put online enough servers only for that. And even if they do an open beta, it will be only on a few servers with ridiculously long queues.

And it’s even more unlikely they will do an open beta on the regular servers. Too much risk to have something go wrong that would compromise the live game.

Posted by: Thaia.5146

Thaia.5146

You realise, that once we get closer to the release of HoT, there will ‘most probably’ be a fully open beta?

You realise it’s very unlikely they will do a full open beta. It’s doubtful they will put online enough servers only for that. And even if they do an open beta, it will be only on a few servers with ridiculously long queues.

And it’s even more unlikely they will do an open beta on the regular servers. Too much risk to have something go wrong that would compromise the live game.

You realise that many people won’t buy the expansion if they don’t get in the beta right? I still remember “the Manifesto” and how it differs from my personal experience in GW2.

Blanche Neige.7241

You realise that many people won’t buy the expansion if they don’t get in the beta right?

You realise there were no open beta for GW2, and that did not prevented the game to sell a couple of million copies.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

They aren’t going to make new servers for an open beta. That would mean making new servers, transferring all the beta accounts off their server onto the test server and then transferring them back after the beta. Transferring one account can take anywhere from a few minutes to half an hour. It’s not instantaneous.

Even if they did do something like this, the PvE portion of the game doesn’t have queue. The game makes shards as needed to handle the population on a map.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Blanche Neige.7241

The game makes shards as needed to handle the population on a map.

There is a limit on the number of megaserver the total servers can accommodate.

Their current test server can certainly not accept all those who would flood it if they were to make an open beta.

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

The questions in this thread, or the opinions expressed, have been fully explored and the topic can be closed.

But please keep in mind: The giving of the chests was explained in a post on this very forum. It was not intended as a “reward” or a “thank you” but was the outcome of removing beta access. If you’re offended, we’re sorry.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet