Rytlocks staff look alot like a spear/Polearm

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

I wonder why Anet choose to use a model for staff that looks like a spear or Polearm for the Revenant reveal.

Is it officially stated that no new weapon types will be added to the game?

Posted by: Lazaar.9123

Lazaar.9123

Yeah, it was confirmed in that interview that’s been floating around on the forums. As for the skin, i’d say it may be a new skin, maybe a profession specific one?

Posted by: Crise.9401

Crise.9401

If the Revenant uses the staff for melee strikes (ie. like a bo staff) then the style of the skin does make sense, however, it probably should really have been its own weapon type or reusing the underwater spears.

That said if Revenant will be the only profession using a Staff or a Staff like weapons in Melee capacity it for the forseeable future it makes sense because it is cost effective and there are more staff than spear skins in game already most likely.

Also, as far as the trailer goes, that move or move set could just as easily have the skill animations with staff or polearm baked into the skills themselves (ie. think something like Charrzooka or Engineer kits).

We don’t really know how this channeling thing is executed in game.

Posted by: VenomousEX.4012

VenomousEX.4012

Revenant with scythe gonna look awesome!!

Posted by: tekfan.3179

tekfan.3179

I wouldn’t be surprised if ANet is telling a half-truth here. Spears are already in the game for underwater-combat. Adding spears as a landbased weapon wouldn’t really add a new weapon to the game, just a new use for it.

Posted by: MrTJpwnz.4710

MrTJpwnz.4710

#Kamohoali’iKotakiOnLand ftw!

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

I wouldn’t be surprised if ANet is telling a half-truth here. Spears are already in the game for underwater-combat. Adding spears as a landbased weapon wouldn’t really add a new weapon to the game, just a new use for it.

So there’s still hope!

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

The thought did strike me earlier that another possibility could be that it’s simply an alternative hammer skin. There were some hammers in GW1 – and two-handed maces in history – that had relatively small heads: in fact, historically speaking, they were probably more common and practical than the giant metal mallets we tend to see in games.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

I’m hoping spears will finally become land-weapons with HoT, and with Rytlock wielding what seems to be a spear, it sounds as though spears may be used in HoT by the Revenant – cause spears certainly aren’t useful right now with all this lack of underwater content!! Though it could be a staff or hammer or polearm. Who knows.

Always wanted to wield my Al’ir’aska (a.k.a. non-animated duller version of GW1 voltaic spear) on land.

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

(edited by Zaoda.1653)