[SPOILER] Only sylvari can hear.... !!!

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: latinkuro.7304

latinkuro.7304

From gamespot article, so Nolan North is voicing Mordremoth but…..

Source: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/destiny-uncharted-actor-nolan-north-voicing-guild-/1100-6430811/

" What’s especially interesting about Mordremoth is that the only player race who can hear him are the Sylvari characters. The game’s other races only hear dragon-like noises. It’s a nice touch that fans will no doubt recognize and appreciate."

This is BAD design !

The idea that such a huge voice actor lines can ONLy be heard by a single race is LUDICROUS !

I understand you want to give this race something unique but this is offensive to the rest of the player base that cares about the story.

I don’t wanna be forced to play a sylvari to actually get the full experience and intent of the story !!!

I hope this is NOT how it works, if it ain’t you need to clarify this very very QUICKLY !!!

LOVE: Raids & Fractals.
HATE: Jumping puzzles.
DESPISE: TIME GATES, RNG & THE TRINITY !

Posted by: MashMash.1645

MashMash.1645

Daaaaaaaaaad! Be quiet! Your embarrassing me in front of my friends!

As I understand it, yes, if you are on a Sylvari character you’ll hear his voice, but it’ll be just roaring on other races.

I would also think in future xpacs the other races will get little quirks like this.

Note: Do people really only play one race? I love my Sylvari babies, but I still have at least one of the other races.

Pre-Ordered HoT | Recently started to get what I paid for – may spend $$$

(edited by MashMash.1645)

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

Roll a sylvari, or better yet just wait a week and people will post the vids on youtube. I see nothing wrong with a race being unique, and seeing as it fits the dragon/plot in this case I say good job ANet.

Posted by: latinkuro.7304

latinkuro.7304

Roll a sylvari, or better yet just wait a week and people will post the vids on youtube. I see nothing wrong with a race being unique, and seeing as it fits the dragon/plot in this case I say good job ANet.

Are you a [censored] I wanna play the story myself NOT watch some lame video about it !!!

I do NOT want to be forced to play a sylvari to hear this amazing actor’s work as mordremoth ! and NEITHER should anyone else !!!

This is bad design !

LOVE: Raids & Fractals.
HATE: Jumping puzzles.
DESPISE: TIME GATES, RNG & THE TRINITY !

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

Are you a [censored] I wanna play the story myself NOT watch some lame video about it !!!

I do NOT want to be forced to play a sylvari to hear this amazing actor’s work as mordremoth ! and NEITHER should anyone else !!!

This is bad design !

Suit yourself (name calling was not needed BTW). But every good story has it’s own author and not liking the ending won’t change anything. As I have said you do have choices, but I will give you another, skip it if you don’t like it, I know I won’t lose any sleep over it.

Posted by: Ehecatl.9172

Ehecatl.9172

This is great design. Bad design would be ignoring lore entirely just to make things more “even” for the races.

It’s thoughts like the one in the OP that made Anet ditch a huge chunk of the lore by not involving the human gods in any way.

Posted by: EdwinLi.1284

EdwinLi.1284

There is also that certain NPCs will not trust you if you’re a Sylvari character to the point HoT Storyline can be a alternate story experience.

For example, in the Beta HoT Story mission the Charr and Norn will leave the Sylvari character because they do not agree with your choice to save “Sylvari Prisoners” due to being a Sylvari yourself. This reduce the amount of defense you have in this HoT story mission making it a bit harder. I’m guessing if you choose to “build turrets” path these two NPCs will stay if you’re a Sylvari character.

However, if you’re not a Sylvari character these two NPCs will stay and help defend regardless of your choice since they have a level of trust with a Player character who is not a Sylvari.

Your character’s Race appears to have some effect on HoT Storyline as well from what the beta demonstrated and we may see also Charr, Human, Norn, and Asura player exclusive events as well due to having NPCs from all Nations serving as “representatives” and “support” from those nations against the Elder Dragons which each nation has shown do not have full trust with the Pact and working with other races from the other nations as seen in Silverwaste NPC banters.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

" What’s especially interesting about Mordremoth is that the only player race who can hear him are the Sylvari characters. The game’s other races only hear dragon-like noises. It’s a nice touch that fans will no doubt recognize and appreciate."

This is BAD design !

The idea that such a huge voice actor lines can ONLy be heard by a single race is LUDICROUS !

I understand you want to give this race something unique but this is offensive to the rest of the player base that cares about the story.

I don’t wanna be forced to play a sylvari to actually get the full experience and intent of the story !!!

I hope this is NOT how it works, if it ain’t you need to clarify this very very QUICKLY !!!

Your idea of ludicrous is my idea of interesting. Other games try to make everything identical, instead of offering comparable things to different races.

Also: why do they need to clarify anything quickly, to you or to any of us? Game comes out in a month; we’ll all find out just how big (or little) a deal this is.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: MashMash.1645

MashMash.1645

There is also that certain NPCs will not trust you if you’re a Sylvari character to the point HoT Storyline can be a alternate story experience.

For example, in the Beta HoT Story mission the Charr and Norn will leave the Sylvari character because they do not agree with your choice to save “Sylvari Prisoners” due to being a Sylvari yourself. This reduce the amount of defense you have in this HoT story mission making it a bit harder. I’m guessing if you choose to “build turrets” path these two NPCs will stay if you’re a Sylvari character.

However, if you’re not a Sylvari character these two NPCs will stay and help defend regardless of your choice since they have a level of trust with a Player character who is not a Sylvari.

Your character’s Race appears to have some effect on HoT Storyline as well from what the beta demonstrated and we may see also Charr, Human, Norn, and Asura player exclusive events as well due to having NPCs from all Nations serving as “representatives” and “support” from those nations against the Elder Dragons which each nation has shown do not have full trust with the Pact and working with other races from the other nations as seen in Silverwaste NPC banters.

That’s a good point. Also, what about all the dialogue you don’t get if you don’t pick certain Orders (Vigil, Priory, Whispers), or different quest branches? Plenty of stuff is always different. It can’t be the exact same for everyone.

Pre-Ordered HoT | Recently started to get what I paid for – may spend $$$

Posted by: Shadelang.3012

Shadelang.3012

In all honesty im happy about this. It has convinced me to make my revenant a sylvari. It also gives hte content more replay value. Once as a sylvari. And again as non sylvari to see whats different. or vice versa.

From a lore perspective it makes sense. And it also does from a gameplay perspective as well. and its not uncommon. It reminds me of what people expected from the orders. The idea was picking a path would let you see a version of the game different from the other paths. Only the overall effect it had was minimal. Id imagine sylvari characters will learn secrets the other races will only learn seconhand.

Which is a decent reason to make one if you havnt already.

Ghost Yak

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Colin stated long ago that playing in HoT with a sylvari would offer something playing with other races would not. It’s not like this is news.

I specifically created a sylvari version of my main, just for this purpose, many months ago. You can, as well, if you so desire (to experience this alternate story implementation).

Good luck.

Posted by: Pukc.6328

Pukc.6328

To the op. You do realize that Sylvari are Mordremoths creations. The dragon will have influence over them, so of course they’re gonna understand him better than any other races.

Posted by: glehmann.9586

glehmann.9586

There’s no clarification needed. In the first BWE people were mentioning that Sylvari players could hear Mordremoth when the mordrem guarding the captured Sylvari NPCs calls for help, while players of other races could not.

You’re the only person I’ve seen call it bad design. Literally every other comment I’ve seen about it was talking about how awesome an idea it was.

And why aren’t you complaining about all the Sylvari players who will have to make a non-Sylvari character just to experience the full story? Sylvari characters are going to miss out on experiences the non-Sylvari characters have, too.

Posted by: Deleven.7508

Deleven.7508

Splitting the dialogue like this is down-right exciting. It is great to see that the race of a character is going to have some impact in the game. I hope we see the race and the order that we chose have a lot more importance in future content updates.

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

this is a good design. I heard mords voice in the beta in a sylvari and people had no idea what IWas talking about, now it makes sense

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

This is AWESOME! Anet does it again with the immersion into lore! Mordremoth is speaking to his minions telepathically, making perfect sense why we as other races can’t hear what sylvari hear. Then went we face him, we’ll only hear growls, where as sylvari can’t understand his words.

Anet, please do more lore specific stuff like this in the future! This is exactly what this game needs!

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

This is bad design !

Well I want a harem of female Charr servants to answer my beck and call but we don’t all get what we want, now do we?

Posted by: Haishao.6851

Haishao.6851

This is BAD design !

It’s not bad design. It’s actually very good.
This is how RPG usually are. This is how they were before they start trying to catch people like you who hate games.

If you’re offended then too bad. You can stop anytime.

This is exactly what bad design is.
“Give me everything because I don’t want to play X or Y”

If you don’t want to play video game, go do something else than play video games.
If it’s RPG you dislike, go play something else.

Posted by: Sindex.9520

Sindex.9520

I can already see how this plays out. Sylvari PC hears the voice of Mordremoth. Ignores it at first then eventually it grows louder. Sylvari PC struggles against the desire to fall to the whims of this monstrous and vile calling. Eventually ending with some sort of melodramatic ending; where the Sylvari PC gets over it. Which is then never brought up again within the rest of the meta story.

Hyping this up is the equivalent of what we got with that PC personality conversation system in the personal story.

Posted by: NapTooN.6283

NapTooN.6283

This is bad design !

Maybe he voiced the RAWR! and GROWL! and ARRRGHH! aswell, so you don’t have to play a Sylvari to hear his amazing work

Posted by: Fox.3469

Fox.3469

Other races will have their special moments in their expansion, this makes it fun to replay the story at least once as a sylvari.

Also screaming bad design isn’t positive feedback if you can’t bring up 1 point why it is.
This only adds value and replayablility. And the non-sylvari characters get a more nearly racist toward sylvari narrative, as seen in the first mission, wich is just as interesting to me as Mordremoth speaking to me.

If you are looking for a cozy mature Dutch guild (EU) let me know.

Posted by: Chris McSwag.4683

Chris McSwag.4683

Am I the only one preparing my sylvaris to join our Lord and saviour mordremoth?

To OP – stop acting like a kid. This design makes perfect sense and I am very happy sent made this decision

[eS] Ethereal Synergy
DPS Benchmarks, Raids, Low-mans etc.

Posted by: NTDK.4897

NTDK.4897

This is pretty cool and I like it. Although I dont have any sylvari. I play story by myself but if I decide to want to know what are the lines, I would watch vid later or ask my guildie.
I see nothing wrong with it.

@OP: are you mad too that if u talk to Dessa in Fractal lobby as a sylvari, she has different dialogues? Or in the last fight against Scarlet, if you are an engi you would get a different dialogue when interacting with the console?

ign: Larxene Rakushinu
Incoming Quaggans [iQ]

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

@OP: are you mad too that if u talk to Dessa in Fractal lobby as a sylvari, she has different dialogues? Or in the last fight against Scarlet, if you are an engi you would get a different dialogue when interacting with the console?

What if it’s just the OP really really REALLY likes the voice of Nolan North to the point of wanting to bottle up his excelled breath and listen to recordings of him ordering take out over the phone while he sleeps. Who cares if it’s creepy or sad? Have you ever thought maybe that’s how the OP feels, hmm?

Posted by: Gaebriel.3754

Gaebriel.3754

Awesome! This is a fantastic example of not sacrificing lore in favour of making things ‘even’ for all races or classes, quite a rarity in mmorpg’s for what I’ve seen. And no, my main isn’t a sylvari haha. I hope they’ll continue to do stuff like this, for me it’s these little touches that makes games stand out. I think it adds replayability value as well.

Posted by: Azelvan.2153

Azelvan.2153

Seems like OP is literally the only one who sees this as a negative aspect. I think it’s a really smart design. Makes me wonder if there’s anything else that will be different when playing as Sylvari compared to other race. Also, OP might as well complain about personal story because EVERY races have a different starting story and you have to roll a different race altogether to experience a different story.

Posted by: Petrol.9086

Petrol.9086

I think this is cool as kitten. Sylvari are dragon minions, they should get a unique experience and i was really happy to see during the beta weekend that not only do you understand Mordremoth but NPC’s openly distrust you and things play out a little diffirently.

You can keep acting like a spoiled brat and throw your toys out of the pram because someone gets something you don’t, but it’s not going to change.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Geez! This didn’t end well!

Posted by: Balsa.3951

Balsa.3951

Even so Sylvari is far away from being my Main I love that Concept.

It makes content replay able.

I can jump in as Human Play change to Sylvari play the same but get a different experience.

This details start convincing me to buy HOT I must admit …

Posted by: Hellisa.7132

Hellisa.7132

Geez! This didn’t end well!

ArenaNet is making changes to HoT so that only the OP can hear Trolls.

Posted by: Balsa.3951

Balsa.3951

Adding one more

That’s something what should be taking to any race, Special Labs which only Asuras can visit or tec bable which sounds like bable for all races but simple explained to Asuras.

Fight Drink Bars for Norn only, they could be small mini games about drinking only a title and fun or forget the title just fun.

Char fight clubs , u may don’t participate but u can sit there and watch.

Human Churches where u can see the Gods

anyhow places, Voices, mini games, which u only can see/ hear when u join a certain Race or Order would enhance the game play so much.

Invite other races when be in a group should be possible as well.

Posted by: Rebound.3409

Rebound.3409

I like what they did honestly. You can always make a new class or race for a class you like and powerlevel it to 80. It takes like….a few hours to get 80 if you already actively play the game. You have tons of exp & lvlup scrolls from dailies…you can even craft a bit to 80.

I personally have all classes&races maxed out but considering the very disappointing specs they showed i will most likely be forced to not play the class my silvary is in. Even so i still think this is cool.

Posted by: Gaebriel.3754

Gaebriel.3754

anyhow places, Voices, mini games, which u only can see/ hear when u join a certain Race or Order would enhance the game play so much.

There’s already stuff like this, but quite subtle. There’s a secret Order of Whispers lodge somewhere in the Shiverpeaks, I believe it was either Lornar’s Pass or Timberline Falls. On my first Norn character passing by, it was just some abandoned house. However, some weeks later I tried to open that door with my other Norn character (who is with the Order of Whispers), having forgotten that it was an unaccessible building. I was amazed when my character recognized some secret symbols at the entrance and could get inside. Then you could pull some hidden lever to reveal an entrance to an underground hideout. I think it had just a merchant or something, but stuff like this is awesome and makes me wonder if there’s more of it.

Posted by: dkspins.4670

dkspins.4670

As another poster said, Colin Johansen during the big expansion announcement said if players hadn’t made a Sylvari PC, now was the time to do it. And during Pax Prime in July, the Narrative Director, Leah Hoyer, said in an interview that there’s a distinct possibility that Sylvari PC’s can be turned by Mordremoth.

First day of BWE1 (no beta characters made yet), while logging into Lion’s Arch, I heard a deep gravelly voice say “You’re mine”. It was kind of cool, but it startled me LOL

7k hr, 13k AP, 16 char, all classes 80 Sadly, 3.5k hr. Ranger

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Shouldn’t this have a spoiler tag on it..? Not everyone wants to know this about Mordy and are waiting for the expac to hit before knowing about the effect on Sylvari’s…

To the OP’s point, it would be complete lore and immersion breaker for non-sylvari’s to hear his voice since he is commanding the sylvari specifically to do his bidding. That would make no sense to an non-sylv character since they can’t be turned..

(edited by Randulf.7614)

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

I do hope this actually is more than just a few lines here and there. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB9XIxOJnBc
I think a good example would be something like Nier, you know how in the second play thought you hear the enemy voices and you realize you’re actually a horrible horrible person. Not that I want Mordy to be good or anything, simply that a few lines here and there really can give you a different experience.

Posted by: Markin.9167

Markin.9167

actually this is amazing

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

I love it, it’s awesome, it means playing the content with different characters is going to be at least somewhat different, it’ll be fun exploring those differences!

Now I can’t wait till down the road we find out the Asura are Primordus’ creations and can hear him, or more likely come up with a tech for asura that gives them some unique experience when going after Primordus.

It adds to replayability, something that’s rare as hens teeth in MMOs.

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

Posted by: Dark Saviour.9410

Dark Saviour.9410

I would prefer he simply have no intelligible lines regardless of race, but that ship has already sailed.

If the lines from the beta are an indication, you’re not missing out on much. :-/

Gone for good after Halloween 2Ø12.
A shame fun things could not simply be fun.

Posted by: Bomber.3872

Bomber.3872

Thats an awesome design! Now I’m really happy to play HoT with my sylarie too instead of only humans.

Anet should add way more such race/char special things. For example some things for humans to never forgive these terrible charrs (death to all). Or something for asuras to show always how much better they are than bookahs.

Such special things in gw2 would be just so totally awesome!!! Best suggestion here since a long time.

IGN: Euer Verderben
[RUC] Riverside United Corps! For Riverside!

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

We’ve known this (that only pc sylvari can hear mordremoth) since the first BWE…

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Posted by: Vallander.4138

Vallander.4138

What if it’s just the OP really really REALLY likes the voice of Nolan North to the point of wanting to bottle up his excelled breath and listen to recordings of him ordering take out over the phone while he sleeps. Who cares if it’s creepy or sad? Have you ever thought maybe that’s how the OP feels, hmm?

And only cuz 1person luff nolan, we should agree with him? C’mon’man/woman. If he want hear his voice go play with Sylvari, how hard to explain it is? Did u want have 80 go take exp, questing etc, u want twinlight go kitten farm.

I dont like farm, but if i want this sword i have to!

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

This is good design, some variety for each race. And it makes sense lore wise, Sylvari are it’s minions, the other races aren’t. It should have some unique effect on them, and this is a great one. You are just saying it’s bad design because you probably don’t have a Sylvari character.

And besides, playing multiple races is fun. Creates more variety in your alt collection.

On a different note I’m extremely happy we finally have an Elder Dragon that TALKS! It always bothered me that Zhaitan never talked, he was clearly intelligent so he should have been able to.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

(edited by Windu The Forbidden One.6045)

Posted by: tetrodoxin.2134

tetrodoxin.2134

Great decision, finally some more race diversity in a lore-friendly way.

Anet hates [your class], since [other classes] got buffs while [your class] only received nerfs.

Posted by: Happicakes.2054

Happicakes.2054

And seriously, what scrub doesn’t play multiple races these days?

Hey now, be nice; I happen to be one of those “scubs” ; ) I do have a reason for it though as all of my toons are (conceptually) descendants of my original GW1 characters who made the trek over the Shiverpeaks to Kryta.

That being said, while I am sad that I will miss out on the extra dialogue due to my self-imposed restrictions, I totally support the why of it. It is great for better immersion in the story, feels fluffy with the lore, and I hope that they keep adding in little odds and ends like this in the future. It is good design!

Celeste Dalenset – Mesmer/Chronomancer
Officer – League of Tyrian Adventurers [LoTA]
Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Hey now, be nice; I happen to be one of those “scubs” ; )

Sorry my bad, changed my initial comment

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Happicakes.2054

Happicakes.2054

Hey now, be nice; I happen to be one of those “scubs” ; )

Sorry my bad, changed my initial comment

No prob. I assumed you meant it to be tongue in cheek, so no hurt feels.

Celeste Dalenset – Mesmer/Chronomancer
Officer – League of Tyrian Adventurers [LoTA]
Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: Morfedel.4165

Morfedel.4165

From gamespot article, so Nolan North is voicing Mordremoth but…..

Source: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/destiny-uncharted-actor-nolan-north-voicing-guild-/1100-6430811/

This is BAD design !

1. Suck it up. It wont change at this point.
2. This isnt the first. For instance, when you finally beat Scarlet, if you were an engineer you could get a bit more info on her schematics than other classes could.
3. I think this is freakin cool. They did this during the beta as well, sylvari could hear the voice.
4. It makes sense from a story standpoint too.
5. Just because YOU think it is a bad design doesn’t mean it IS a bad design. I and my friends, for instance, thinks its awesome.
6. Suck it up.

Posted by: EdwinLi.1284

EdwinLi.1284

Great decision, finally some more race diversity in a lore-friendly way.

Lore-friendly yes but how NPC react is the real kicker.

If you’re Sylvari expect them to treat your character like a African American in the Civil Rights era.

Along with other possible Human, Asura, Charr, and Norn exclusive race events having you trying to keep this broken alliance together of different races that already have little trust with each other as shown in Silverwaste banters.

(edited by EdwinLi.1284)

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

no, that is really bad design. It’s the same as only the undead hearing the voice of the Lich in WoW.