(SPOILERS)Next Elder Dragon?(SPOILERS)

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Shadownin.9632

Shadownin.9632

So what elder dragon will we face in the next expansion?

First we need to list the order of the dragons’ awakenings:

1120: Primordus awakens. Comes from the latin word “primordium” which mean the first to come. His name hints at the fact that he awakened first.
Somwhere between 1120 and 1165: Unnamed “Deep see dragon” awakens.
1165: Jormag awakens.
1219: Zhaitan awakens.
1320: Kralkatorrik awakens.
1327: Mordremoth awakens. Largest influence on the world.

Another important thing is to find the connections between dragons and playable races:

Zhaitan-Humans:

• First to be influential on the player (In GW1 you could only play Humans. In GW2Zhaitan is the first dragon the player fights).
  • Arrogant, thinks it is unbeatable, yet was defeated (The Humans never thought that the Charr will take back their homeland, upon defeat used The Foefire. Zhaitan was defeated because he didn’t knew the true power of The Pact, upon defeat Tequatel was created).
  • Zhaitan was awakened by the Humans.
  • Zhaitan was under the most sacred Human nation.
  • Always concerned with death.

Mordremoth-Sylvari:

• Last to join the world(respectively).
  • Both connected to a spiritual realm(Sylvari to The Dream, Mordremoth to the mind and The Dream).
  • Both are literally the land.
  • Mordremoth was awakened by a Sylvari.
  • Mordremoth attacked the most precious thing to the Sylvari, The Mother Tree.
  • Corrupted the Sylvari first.

Jormag-Norn:

• Both live in a snowy land.
  • Jormag awakened near the Norn homeland forcing them to move elsewhere.
  • Corrupted the Norn first.
  • Both promise power(Jormag corrupts beings with a promise for power. The Norn say that those who are better connected with The Spirits of The Wild will be powerful).

Primordus-Asura:

• Both come from the depths of Tyria.
  • Primordus forced the Asura to leave their homeland.
  • Both are creators(Asura create amazing technological inventions, Primordus creates his minions from earth, lava and fire).

Kralkatorrik-Charr:

• Both are located in Ascalon.
  • Corrupted the land of the Charr.
  • His awakening, indirectly, caused The Vigil to be founded by the charr, Almorra Soulkeeper.
  • Both seeked revenge in the past(The Charr invaded Ascalon to take it back from the humans. Kralkatorrik awakened to kill Glint who betrayed him).

Now the hard part begins.
Which race is heavily connected to the unnamed deep sea dragon?

By the connections mentioned above we need to ask a few questions:

1. What race was forced to leave it’s homeland because of this dragon’s awakening?
  2. What race has the same traits as this dragon?
  3. What race still lives close to The Unending Ocean, which is speculated to be the resting place of this dragon?

Let’s look at the races that live underwater:

Quaggans:

1. They were forced to leave their homeland by the deep sea dragon.
  2. They don’t have any mutual traits.
  3. They both live underwater, but the Quaggans live in lakes currently and not near The Unending Ocean.

So it’s probably not the Quaggans.

Krait:
They were forced to leave their homeland by the deep sea dragon.
Both are evil in nature.
They both live underwater, but the Krait don’t live near The Unending Ocean.

It might be the Krait, but seeing as all races that are connected to the elder dragons are good in nature, it can’t be the Krait.

So what race (that is able to talk) might have a connection to the deep sea dragon?
The answer is: The Largos.

1. They were forced to leave their homeland by the deep sea dragon.
  2. But here you say: “We know almost nothing about the Largos” and that’s the exact mutual trait, we know almost nothing about both!
  3. We don’t know where the Largos live, but it is safe to say that since we (almost) don’t see the Largos in any of the none-ocean water bodies, they probably live near The Unending Ocean.

This might prove that when the deep sea dragon will be released, we will be able to play the Largos race.

But this isn’t what I am looking for. I am looking for the next elder dragon we will fight.

In order to find that we need to look at the hints the game has been giving us throughout both games, GW1 and GW2.

Let me ask you a few questions:
(Q)Who was the hero/hero’s race in GW1?
(A)The Humans.
(Q)Then, who do we fight in the story of the original GW2?
(A)Zhaitan, who is connected in a way to the Humans.
(Q)But who was the hero of the GW2 personal story?
(A)Trahearne, a Sylvari who formed The Pact, which were able to kill Zhaitan.
(Q)Who do we fight in GW2: Heart of Thorns?
(A)Mordremoth, who is directly connected to the Sylvari.

From these answers we can see that the race of the hero that is presented to us in each main event(GW1, GW2 Personal Story, GW2: Heart of Thorns’ story).

So now we need to find the hero of Heart of Thorns(obviously it can’t be you):

• Logan is not the hero for 2 reasons: Zhaitan is already defeated and he is missing throughout most of the expansion.
  • Zojja is not the hero because she is missing throughout most of the expansion.
  • Trahearne is not the hero(you can’t be a hero twice buddy).
  • Canach and Laranthir are both not the heroes because Mordremoth has already awakened.
  • Caithe is not the hero because she is missing throughout most of the expansion(and is a dirty traitor).
  • Kasmeer and Marjory are both not the heroes because Zhaitan is already defeated.
  • Braham is not the hero because his goal at the end was to avenge his mother’s death and not to help the world(his motives stopped being pure).
  • Rox is not the hero since she is the most passive NPC throughout the entire expansion.
  • Eir is not the hero because she is almost immedietly dead after we find her.
  • You. You have no specific race so no buddy.
  • Itzel/Nuhoch/Exalted. No real connection to the elder dragons.

So this leaves us with a single option: Rytlock.

Now let’s think why he really is the hero of Heart of Thorns:

1. He shows up in the beginning, saving the player and the other characters.
  2. His motives remain pure throughout the expansion: To defeat the elder dragon so that the world will survive.
  3. With his new powers he is able to lead the group through the jungle, survive the jungle, destroy blockages that Mordremoth has set up for the group, make the group stronger and most importantly reach Mordremoth himself.

So this points at Kralkatorrik.

“But what about the option that Anet will ignore the way they have been working before and just choose a dragon that is not Kralkatorrik?” I hear you ask.

Well in Heart of Thorns, both the asura, Taimi, and the Norn, Eir and Braham, leave the group at some point of the story not helping the group in their quest.
This hints to the abscence of Jormag and Primordus in the next expansion.

Still not enough evidence?
Look at this new post that was posted in January 12, 2016: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/state-of-the-game-update-q1-2016/
Don’t worry I will cover the important things here.
In the section Living World Season 3

• “Within the golden city of Tarir, the last known dragon egg rests protected by the Exalted—but the egg begins to crack.”
    Glint’s egg will start cracking, something that Kralkatorrik can’t ignore since he obviously hates Glint who betrayed him.
  • “How will the Black Citadel react when they learn of the return of Rytlock?”
    Another hint at Rytlock being very important to the next expansion(I remind you that the Charr are connected in a way to Kralkatorrik)

That’s it! I hope you enjoyed reading this(this was really hard to figure out).
Please leave a reply with your opinion!

“Never trust the past. There has been too much forgotten, too many things hidden beneath the sand of ages. Even your own memory can lie to you…”

— Decimus the Historian

(edited by Shadownin.9632)

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Your theory on it being Kralkatorrik is a bit of a stretch and your supporting arguments don’t really support it. For example, Rytlock showing off the Revenant in the beginning doesn’t mean that we’re going to the Crystal Desert next.

None of the races are directly tied to the dragons except for the Sylvari. The dragons pre-date quite a number of them; especially the Charr.

The various party members leaving the groups at points during the expansion doesn’t mean all that much. In case you were not aware, Rytlock did leave at some points too. Therefore, Kralkatorrik. must be out as well.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Posted by: HiddenNick.7206

HiddenNick.7206

I also think that it’s going to be Kralkatorrik.

The last outfit that ANet released was Sentinel. And those guys are meant to fight Kralkatorrik. Some of the in-game characters was also outfitet in these. So I think that ANet already started working toward their new story and while doing so they decided to push out some of their current work for extra monay.

Posted by: Hesacon.8735

Hesacon.8735

As a Sylvari I am confident that Mordemoth was not defeated and will return to crush the dirty Pact. The next expansion will be Mordemoth taking revenge and destroying the humans. The Centaurs will finally be able to take rightful control of the land and will become a playable race. The second half of the expansion will be a war between the Centaurs and Pact and will end on a cliffhanger.

Shadownin.9632

Your theory on it being Kralkatorrik is a bit of a stretch and your supporting arguments don’t really support it. For example, Rytlock showing off the Revenant in the beginning doesn’t mean that we’re going to the Crystal Desert next.

None of the races are directly tied to the dragons except for the Sylvari. The dragons pre-date quite a number of them; especially the Charr.

The various party members leaving the groups at points during the expansion doesn’t mean all that much. In case you were not aware, Rytlock did leave at some points too. Therefore, Kralkatorrik. must be out as well.

Obviously nothing here is solid proof, it’s just how I decipher the hints that ANet has been giving throughout the game.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Obviously nothing here is solid proof, it’s just how I decipher the hints that ANet has been giving throughout the game.

Fair enough.

Posted by: Loop.8106

Loop.8106

As Ayrilana already posted, none of the races are tied to an elder dragon (Except for the Sylvari).
As stated in the novel Sea of Sorrows, Zhaitan is friend to none. Zhaitans minions consists of Humans, Charr and Asuras alike, so I’m curious how you came to the conclusion.

As for Primordus I’d say hes more “linked” to the dwarves than anything else do to the Eye of the North story.
Kralkatorrik was asleep just outside of the Flame Legion HQ back in gw1, this however has no indication that the two are linked together somehow.
Jormag has obvious affiliation to the Norn, but it should have just as much with the Kodan that also fled the north due to the rising influences of the elder dragon.

This leaves me with the DSD or “Steve” as I’m gonna refer him to.
I do see how you easily connect the two do to the absolutly minscule amount of knowledge we know about either one. But this is all speculation and in no way accurate.
What do we actually know about Steve;?
-He awakened somewhere in-between 1120 and 1165.
-He recides under-water.
-His name starts with an S.

Thats about it.

Wouldnt it be fun though if Largos and Steves names were linked making Steve be named Sogral? Myth Busted!

Optimise [OP]

Shadownin.9632

As Ayrilana already posted, none of the races are tied to an elder dragon (Except for the Sylvari).
As stated in the novel Sea of Sorrows, Zhaitan is friend to none. Zhaitans minions consists of Humans, Charr and Asuras alike, so I’m curious how you came to the conclusion.

As for Primordus I’d say hes more “linked” to the dwarves than anything else do to the Eye of the North story.
Kralkatorrik was asleep just outside of the Flame Legion HQ back in gw1, this however has no indication that the two are linked together somehow.
Jormag has obvious affiliation to the Norn, but it should have just as much with the Kodan that also fled the north due to the rising influences of the elder dragon.

I do see how you easily connect the two do to the absolutly minscule amount of knowledge we know about either one. But this is all speculation and in no way accurate.
-He recides under-water.

Thats about it.

Wouldnt it be fun though if Largos and Steves names were linked making Steve be named Sogral? Myth Busted!

The connections are more like how these two are affecting each other and similarities, not a direct connection since that thing is impossible, (notice I also chose races that actually have a full pledged nation, so the Kodan who have no nation are not mentioned)I say direct connection because it easier to understand for the non-English speakers among us.
And I never said Zhaitan had only human minions, he just made them his minions first(Orr was populated only by humans)
Fun to see your opinions people! Keep the comments going

Loop.8106

-He recides under-water.

Thats about it.

The connections are more like how these two are affecting each other and similarities, not a direct connection since that thing is impossible, (notice I also chose races that actually have a full pledged nation, so the Kodan who have no nation are not mentioned)I say direct connection because it easier to understand for the non-English speakers among us.
And I never said Zhaitan had only human minions, he just made them his minions first(Orr was populated only by humans)

Actually, you’re only half right about the orrs population. It’s true that only humans recided in orr. BUT the reason orr was sunk to begin with was to “save” them from the charr invasion so technically Charrs were also risen alongside the humans which used to live there.
God kitten Vizier Khilbron eh?

Optimise [OP]

Posted by: Wintermute.5408

Wintermute.5408

Kitten, that was over-complicated. I really don’t think that’s how writers of Anet work.

Primordus most likely will be the last one – simply becouse with him entire teleportation network will collapse. Also, becouse he is arguably most powerful dragon, so perfect fit for THE LAST boss.
Deep-see dragon is pretty good candidate to be the next, since he opens a lot of possibilities for new enemies and mechanics (like Mordremoth did). Still, given Anets distaste for udnerwater – not likely.
Jormag is boring. We’ve seen more than enough snow and ice bioms already.
Kralkatorrik opens more or less new biome – desert. He opens quite a lot of story, since we have Glint’s egg on our hands. There’s also a whole kingdom cut off by him. And finally – his desert takes kittenload of space on current map.

I’d say next one will be Kralkatorrik as well.

Welcome to Rivendell, mister Anderson

Posted by: Kreejaffa.3682

Kreejaffa.3682

Bubbles. His name is Bubbles. I am pretty sure we all agreed upon this 3 years ago. I guess we should send out the memo again.

Kreejaffa [Ferguson’s Crossing]
Leader of Looking For Gandalf [LFG]
Worst Commander of Ferguson’s Crossing (Self Proclaimed)

Posted by: Redfeather.6401

Redfeather.6401

Deep Sea Dragon. Ring of Fire. Magic Eight Ball. I have the sight. No, really I don’t. I’m only guessing.

Loop.8106

Bubbles. His name is Bubbles. I am pretty sure we all agreed upon this 3 years ago. I guess we should send out the memo again.

They revealed his name to begin with an S though. Sir Bubbles maybe?

Optimise [OP]

Shadownin.9632

-He recides under-water.

Thats about it.

Actually, you’re only half right about the orrs population. It’s true that only humans recided in orr. BUT the reason orr was sunk to begin with was to “save” them from the charr invasion so technically Charrs were also risen alongside the humans which used to live there.
God kitten Vizier Khilbron eh?

Thanks for the clarification, I removed that line from the connections
And for the people who say that no elder dragon is connected to any race, I don’t mean they are connected in the lore, I mean they are connected in the way the developers made them and placed them, obviously the only thing the elder dragons are truly connected to are themselves since they harness the power of the other dead elder dragons. Now am I clear?
(btw ArenaNet if any of this is right please email me)

Posted by: shadow.6174

shadow.6174

Nice theory and stuff, fun to read and it gives a lot to think. But well, putting lore and speculations aside, I think some patch notes, the blog article about LW S3 (as pointed here) and parts of HoT (I admit I still don’t get what Glint’s egg had to do with it all) has given pretty clues about the next one. xD

Shadownin.9632

Nice theory and stuff, fun to read and it gives a lot to think. But well, putting lore and speculations aside, I think some patch notes, the blog article about LW S3 (as pointed here) and parts of HoT (I admit I still don’t get what Glint’s egg had to do with it all) has given pretty clues about the next one. xD

Glad you liked it

Posted by: martin.1653

martin.1653

Would be nice if next expansion takes place underground or bottom of sea.
Introducing Primordus or Deep Sea Dragon.
Huge underground halls and ecosystems. Something along the lines of Journey to the Center of Earth. But on larger scale. Go all crazy with vertical maps (I’m not sarcastic, I’m just glad that Anet finally took a step away from plain boring flat maps that every single game has). Imagine visiting huge cavern systems underground where dragon was sleeping.
As for deep sea maps… I know that everyone and their dog hates underwater combat and everything that has to do with being underwater, but if done right this could have potential. Introduce Largos as playable race, reveal that they actually have extremely advanced underwater technology (almost alien-like Asura), living in massive underwater settlements and cities that go even deeper into ground.

Posted by: vesica tempestas.1563

vesica tempestas.1563

mm battle undersea, find cavern system, leads to almost lovecraftian underground cities earily lit by glowing mushrooms, and deeper still, destroyers awaken – i’m up for that

ooh and a crumb of lore about the human gods pls, why did they leave!

“Trying to please everyone would not only be challenging
but would also result in a product that might not satisfy anyone”- Roman Pichler, Strategize

martin.1653

Oh, completely forgot about Lovecraftian theme. Largos seems perfect to plug-in that vibe into game. I like this idea.
Someone go bother the Deep Sea Dragon so it awakens.

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

Oh, completely forgot about Lovecraftian theme. Largos seems perfect to plug-in that vibe into game. I like this idea.
Someone go bother the Deep Sea Dragon so it awakens.

As long as they aren’t playable. With sylvari, humans, and norn the quota there has been met, we need something more beastly.

martin.1653

They probably look like Predator under those masks. Doesn’t really get more beastly than that. Or maybe they are extremely amphibian or reptilian. With scales and gills and whatnots.
It’s not like they are all that human-like with those leathery flaps on the back.

Shadownin.9632

They probably look like Predator under those masks. Doesn’t really get more beastly than that. Or maybe they are extremely amphibian or reptilian. With scales and gills and whatnots.
It’s not like they are all that human-like with those leathery flaps on the back.

That would be awesome