[SPOILERS] WoodenPotatoes' story review

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: VaLee.5102

VaLee.5102

It’s a bit long vid, but imo he covers all the good and bad things about the story.
I wasn’t that impressed about the story in the expansion to start with, but after watching the video I realized how much the story is lacking even more.
Living world season 2 story was way more polished and had more content than this.

Posted by: Urosh Uchiha.9732

Urosh Uchiha.9732

It’s been said so many times before that maybe there is no need for a new story bashing thread. Even though I fully agree. The story lacked so so much. They really did pull many things out of their kitten s just to wrap things up. So many things left unanswered, so many things forgotten and I know they will fix it all in LS3 cause they will read all the things people are disappointed about and add them all in LS3 to make us happy.

But sadly that won’t work for me. This was the real place to put them in, the core of HoT.

Regardless of that I laughed so hard when WP said “We should use our plants to destroy his plants!” xD

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

I am playing the game and having fun. That’s all that matters to me. Story? I have not gone past the parts that I need to to get into VB. I haven’t finished the PS on any of my chars. I have not finished LS2 either. I played GW1 for years and had all the games and the one expansion they did for it and I think I only finished the story of one of them. For me the story is just there as something else for me to do in game. I have never given the story all that much effort in trying to remember all the details of all the chars and I know I am not the only one that thinks this way since there are lots of others that I play with that all have the same outlook on it.

So some guys review of it means nothing to me.

Posted by: VaLee.5102

VaLee.5102

So why are you replying on a thread about the story? Just to say you are not interested in the story? xd

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

And why not? It’s another point of view.

Posted by: Snoopy Shannon.5123

Snoopy Shannon.5123

Season 2 was definitely the peak of the story. I enjoyed it a lot but I do like heart of thorns.

Posted by: Urosh Uchiha.9732

Urosh Uchiha.9732

I agree, Season 2 was the peak. I expected so much more from HoT core release.

PyrateSilly is somewhat correct though, it is another point of view. But when it comes to my point of view, I’m only playing this game for so long ONLY because of the story.
This franchize has one of the best stories out there, at least for my tastes. If I ever quit GW it will be cause they decided to deliver unfinished story like they did with HoT.

Posted by: BDave.9386

BDave.9386

Well, see the thing is when the original story came out, the Living World, as a story-telling medium, was just theoretical. Since they could plan the HoT story knowing that they could push stuff into Living World Season 3, maybe it was unrealistic for us to expect HoT to have the same “scope” of story right out of the box.

Even if that is the case, I stand by the comment I made on WP’s video: GW2 is a poorly told fantastic story, and HoT is a (relatively) poor story told fantastically. At least for all the lore-related reasons WP mentioned, it seems like the story writers were a bit out to lunch, but wow, whoever took their script and made a game out of it, y’all did a great job.

That said, aside from lack of an epilog, I didn’t notice any of these “issues” while I was playing it (which, in my mind, speaks to the how well they “gamified” the story). And while I don’t play GW2 as much now as I did before I finished the personal story, I still enjoy playing it, even though all I’m doing is the so-called “grindy” bits like map completion for the new zones, filling out my masteries, and unlocking the elite specs. So as a game, I think HoT is pretty good.

There should be some story/lore stuff in the first raid, and that comes out in “mid November”, which is… wow, not actually that long from now, so we might find out really soon if they’re doling out HoT’s story a bit at a time, or if it’s just a much shorter story arc.

Posted by: Naevius.3185

Naevius.3185

My only major gripe is Malyck being apparently forgotten. Maybe we’ll see that story in LS3.

A lesser gripe is that I see no reason that Rata Novus couln’t have been used better – we could have found specific info about Mordremoth and being able to attack him from the Dream. No need to even call it a weakness, just a possible way of attacking him.

Posted by: Copestetic.5174

Copestetic.5174

The story for me, was awesome until Act 3. Then it seems like they just pulled things out of a hat. Specifically, Rata Novus and Traherne being able to take others into the Dream. I remember asking myself “Oh? He can do that? How utterly convenient!”.

Posted by: Monk Tank.5897

Monk Tank.5897

Mallyx has not been forgotten..He has been “Chosen”…
By me!
I use him every day.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

The story for me, was awesome until Act 3. Then it seems like they just pulled things out of a hat. Specifically, Rata Novus and Traherne being able to take others into the Dream. I remember asking myself “Oh? He can do that? How utterly convenient!”.

I don’t know. He is a first born, near the source of Mordremoth, who apparently he was sort of combined with. I didn’t really have a problem with him doing that, because of his unique position, both as a Sylvari first born and where he was physically at the time.