STOP Standing there like a statue

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: vonbladewing.5973

vonbladewing.5973

I have been seeing allot of post about how HOT is to hard to solo and so on.

another thing i see is that allot of players stand in place to fight in HOT like the combat of old MMOs of the years past.

I main a Norn LB – S/A Ranger with a Owl / Smoke pets and I’m a casual player, one thing learned over the years of playing GW2 is never stand in one place and just spam buttons skills like WOW, EQ, FF game back in the day to kill target. My W,A,S,D letters are faded so much on my old keyboard since i never stop moving in combat unless a skill requires me to stand in place, Allot of PvE’rs going to hate me but you got to treat PvE combat like PvP in HoT since the beasties have higher HP and allot more punch in there attacks. only map i have a problem soloing is Dragon Stand but that not a problem since i love this map for its group content theme.

Captain Commander of a Sky Edge Piracy

Posted by: Moyayuki.3619

Moyayuki.3619

Movement is necessary for HoT enemies, yes. However, it becomes difficult to effectively move out of the way of attacks (in my personal experience) because we can only dodge/roll twice before endurance refills, which is an extremely limiting feature. I can be running around an enemy and zig-zagging and somehow they will magically hit me; only doing double-tapping or V (whichever you prefer for dodge) keeps me immune. And this is me speaking about pure movement, not speaking about any skills or other things that can block or deflect attacks.

Server: Dragonbrand
Guild: Moonlit Renegades (Moon)
Highest-Level Toon: Markus Emmerich, 80 Human Scrapper

Posted by: Hexinx.1872

Hexinx.1872

Enemy major attacks have tells… generally in the form of huge red circles that appear before they land. The only attacks that don’t show are auto attacks like the tiny pocket raptors who jump at you, hit you, and run away, rinse repeat.

Posted by: Moyayuki.3619

Moyayuki.3619

Enemy major attacks have tells… generally in the form of huge red circles that appear before they land. The only attacks that don’t show are auto attacks like the tiny pocket raptors who jump at you, hit you, and run away, rinse repeat.

Yeah, it’s things like that (and the dart shooting frogs) that aren’t necessarily easy to avoid by simply moving (not dodging).

Server: Dragonbrand
Guild: Moonlit Renegades (Moon)
Highest-Level Toon: Markus Emmerich, 80 Human Scrapper

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

Movement is necessary for HoT enemies, yes. However, it becomes difficult to effectively move out of the way of attacks (in my personal experience) because we can only dodge/roll twice before endurance refills, which is an extremely limiting feature. I can be running around an enemy and zig-zagging and somehow they will magically hit me; only doing double-tapping or V (whichever you prefer for dodge) keeps me immune. And this is me speaking about pure movement, not speaking about any skills or other things that can block or deflect attacks.

Dodges are not the only active defense. Blinds, interrupts, CC’s, stealth, blocks, reflects, and evades also negate damage. Soft defenses like cripple, chill, slow, weaken, regen, and protect also help negate damage. One’s dodges should not be the only thing keeping them alive. It is a combination of several tools.

That said, you can’t take all of them. However, taking enough for somewhat of a rotation is possible.

NSPride <3

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

Yeah, it’s things like that (and the dart shooting frogs) that aren’t necessarily easy to avoid by simply moving (not dodging).

Even these had tells: their animations let you know there will be an attack.

Evades are only 2 because they are a resource, like the hp. This way the game keep the players on their toes during combat.

There is also all the specific options Razor describes, AND movement skills wich let you disengage when needed.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: annabelle.5876

annabelle.5876

Dodges are not the only active defense. Blinds, interrupts, CC’s, stealth, blocks, reflects, and evades also negate damage. Soft defenses like cripple, chill, slow, weaken, regen, and protect also help negate damage. One’s dodges should not be the only thing keeping them alive. It is a combination of several tools.

This, so much. If you still can’t manage to survive/ beat them using a combination of movement and defensive skills, there’s always the option to beef up your passive defense via your trait selection and gear choices.

Posted by: Vyrulisse.1246

Vyrulisse.1246

I always feel like I move too much. I’m always circling enemies I’m focused on. I guess that’s better than being a statue. x.x

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

I always feel like I move too much. I’m always circling enemies I’m focused on. I guess that’s better than being a statue. x.x

That’s not too much at all. I do the same.

Posted by: Teon.5168

Teon.5168

Perfect approach to a battle, imo.

Forum discussions -
Mmo players with a screw loose vs mmo players with two screws loose. All very important stuff.
-Zenleto-

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

I’d like to elaborate a bit. There’s a difference between smart movement and nonsense movement.

If you’ve ever watched woodenpotatoes’ videos, you’d notice that whenever he fights enemies he is constantly jigging and jukeing in place. This annoys me, because this is the wrong way to fight enemies. It is nonsense movement that accomplishes little to nothing.

Smart movements are movements that accomplish things.

#1: Approach an enemy so you can attack them with melee. It is safest to attack most enemies from behind, as their attacks are cone effects that face forward. If an enemy abruptly turns to you, it is about to punch you.

#2: Walk out of the way of large telegraphs. You don’t necessarily need to dodge, as many moves are slow enough that a light jog will get you to safety. A mild strafe or running through the enemy model is usually enough to guarantee safety.

#3: Juking is a technique, but it is only useful in select situations. Against certain ranged enemies with slow moving projectiles, wiggling back and forth in place will cause their arrows to miss. This works because the arrows fire to your projected path will be when they hit, and not to where you currently are. You can use this technique intelligently, such as against a siege devourer. When you see the animation for a big ranged attack, walk in one direction until it fires, then quickly snap back. The attack will now fly safely by you.

#4: Don’t stand in fire. This references damage patches that many enemies lay out. If you see a patch coming your way, get out of the way.

#5: Try to avoid drawing aggro. The enemies in hot are designed to be decently challenging in small groups. In large groups, they are much more deadly. It is beneficial to avoid biting off more than you can chew. If necessary, open with ranged attacks to get an enemy’s attention, then when it comes close you clobber it with a sword.

#6: Kiting is a thing. Some enemies will destroy you in melee, so to avoid being wrecked, be sure to run in circles. Not small circles: you have to be largely moving away from a melee attack to avoid a melee attack.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

As an alternative to getting good, you can simply play a ranger or necromancer, the two easiest professions in the game. Rangers can effectively play turret style as their pet will tank for them and practically never die if you rotate tanks. Just having a pet can make a huge difference as not everything is directed at you, however, you may also never learn that that one attack can wreck you. A low defense profession can easily be destroyed by the jump shot of a veteran shadow leaper, the slap of a blade dancer, the assault of a veteran smokescale, the leap spam of a devastator or the faceroll of an ancient golem. All of those can however be skipped for the most part.

The super casuals will never get good. They’re only playing for fun and if it’s too difficult, they’ll simply quit. Surely there’s a reason why almost every MMO is faceroll when it comes to solo content. Personally, the casuals I know that only play solo could barely manage Orr, couldn’t finish season 2, haven’t touched HoT and are going back to WoW.

Posted by: chefdiablo.6791

chefdiablo.6791

I do this also.

I move away from aoe circles, use CC to keep some mobs out of my way while I finish off my target.

I choose which mob to attack from a tactical point of view so that I get the most dangerous ones out of the way first if there are several.

This is just smart game play. You can never do it too much.

Posted by: AliamRationem.5172

AliamRationem.5172

Perfect approach to a battle, imo.

Yep. I circle as well. If you stay on the edge of an enemy’s attack range either by circling or moving just in and out of melee range they have a tougher time hitting you. Slower enemies are especially susceptible.

You should also keep moving when at range against enemies that continuously drop ground cover area effects, such as the chak gerent. If you’re already in motion when the circle spawns beneath your feet, you’ll easily walk out of range before the hit lands. Standing still you usually need to dodge away.

Posted by: Memories Lost.7634

Memories Lost.7634

I’d like to elaborate a bit. There’s a difference between smart movement and nonsense movement.

If you’ve ever watched woodenpotatoes’ videos, you’d notice that whenever he fights enemies he is constantly jigging and jukeing in place. This annoys me, because this is the wrong way to fight enemies. It is nonsense movement that accomplishes little to nothing.

Good points overall I’d just like to point something out about this in particular. I do the exact same thing and its due to raiding on an ele which generally means using Seaweed salad as your food buff. This buff gives you 10% increased damage if you are moving, hence the constant strafing. Once you get that muscle memory going to keep that buff up its a hard habit to break.