Sanctum Scramble is the worst adventure

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Boogiepop Void.6473

Boogiepop Void.6473

I’ve only ever even gotten to the end of it once out of probably 100+ tries, and then not even in Bronze time. You have to do so much with pixel precision and pixel perfect timing, you need lean techniques, there are so many places where the idiotic “if you stick on terrain that has nothing to indicate it is different from the terrain in front of it, you move to the side on the pixel wide object and fall off before you can react” places that you constantly fall off anywhere from at the start to at the end, there are multiple spots where you can go through a gate too high to trigger it… The list of problems with this adventure goes on and on.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

The trick to getting gold is to learn how to make use of all three abilities. By doing that, you’ll find there’s a great deal of wiggle room for obtaining gold.

Posted by: Asclepios.4295

Asclepios.4295

Sanctum Scramble… I think it was the last adventure that didn’t have yet its “this adventure is the worst” topic yet. Thanks for fixing this.
When people talked about shooting gallery or masks of the fallen, the topic was understandable as they are acknowledged as very difficult. But Sanctum Scramble? Really?

My best advice would be for you to watch videos showing how to do it. It certainly does not require the talent or precision you are describing, and there are multiple ways to easily get gold without gliding technique. This adventure really comes down on how to exploit the given abilities at their best. Watching videos may give you ideas.

Boogiepop Void.6473

The shooting gallery? Really? The shooting gallery is the second easiest gold in the whole of HOT (the salvage pit is the easiest, especially if you bring a daredevil).

Posted by: Chingiz.9167

Chingiz.9167

The shooting gallery? Really? The shooting gallery is the second easiest gold in the whole of HOT (the salvage pit is the easiest, especially if you bring a daredevil).

Not before the nerf. It was definitely the hardest activity and only like ~10% players managed to get gold. Also it was insanely annoying (random events/enemies spawning nearby, targets very difficult to hit cuz of stupid animation etc). I spent over 3 hours getting gold medal.

Sanctum Scramble is easy… just as somebody said, watch some videos, practice and you’ll get gold.

Posted by: Baldrick.8967

Baldrick.8967

Or just realise that you really, really hate this part of the game and don’t play it. Oh wait, they hid so many points behind these mini games you have to do at least some (deliberately).
I gave up on them pretty early on. I suggest the Op does the same, and just accept that these sort of pointless mini games aren’t your sort of thing (or mine).
I’m currently forced into trying to collect account bound ley line sparks in pve as there is no other way to get them in the quantity needed for a set of ascended armor. I’m not enjoying it, but force myself to do it as the end result will eventually be worth it.

If only the stuff wasn’t account bound, or was available in quantity in wvw…or even purchasable with badges or something, but no, force you to play they way they want.

WvW player. Doing another world completion for my next Legendary. Hater of mini-games.

Boogiepop Void.6473

I’ve watched videos. I can’t figure out how people are able to do what they do. I can barely make it through half the gates on most of my attempts without something going wrong due to the rush. I am not a speedster on jumping puzzles. I can do them well or I can fail to do them fast. I can’t do both. And this isn’t because I can’t do jumping; I have finished Super Meat Boy. It’s because this game simply doesn’t have the interface to give me the control I need to do it. Taking my finger off the WASD in order to activate and deactivate abilities is all it takes in terms of delay and loss of control to cause me to fall out of this puzzle.

(edited by Boogiepop Void.6473)

Posted by: Stompy.1387

Stompy.1387

It’s because this game simply doesn’t have the interface to give me the control I need to do it. Taking my finger off the WASD in order to activate and deactivate abilities is all it takes in terms of delay and loss of control to cause me to fall out of this puzzle.

If you need to take your fingers off WASD to activate your number 1, 2, and 3, skills, something must be seriously wrong with your keybinds. Also, it sounds like you’re keyboard turning; you should turn your camera with your mouse, which will give you a lot more control over your movement.

Boogiepop Void.6473

It’s because this game simply doesn’t have the interface to give me the control I need to do it. Taking my finger off the WASD in order to activate and deactivate abilities is all it takes in terms of delay and loss of control to cause me to fall out of this puzzle.

If you need to take your fingers off WASD to activate your number 1, 2, and 3, skills, something must be seriously wrong with your keybinds. Also, it sounds like you’re keyboard turning; you should turn your camera with your mouse, which will give you a lot more control over your movement.

My keybinds are fine. I use action camera, but I still need the WASD; the mouse can’t do everything.

Posted by: Icdan Sevaen.4628

Icdan Sevaen.4628

Meh, Sanctum Scramble is easy. At least it isn’t RNG based like some… =/

Posted by: Drewbawb.1902

Drewbawb.1902

I find all these posts saying exactly the same thing (“insert anything from HoT here” was super hard, and I don’t like it! Everything must fall under my circumstances, nerf now!) so redundant. Everything is just a matter of opinion, Sanctum Scramble is my favorite adventure tbh, and I’ve loved it every time. But because you find it hard to do, of course it deserves an entire thread on the forums :/ if you don’t like it, don’t do it. I haven’t seen Sanctum Scramble at all in the dailies lately, so unless it’s the singular mastery point in the entire game you can’t manage to get, you should have no trouble ignoring it. If you think it’s too hard, maybe those “pixel precision moves” are just beyond you altogether, and you should move on to something else. There’s no need to establish an entire forum thread for your small troubles.

Posted by: Asclepios.4295

Asclepios.4295

^this
No matter how used you are with your current keybinds, the problem seems to come from there, not the adventure. Consider reconfiguring your keybinds. You will find awesome guides on the Internet to help you doing that for gamers.

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

It’s a tough contest because all the adventures suck. I guess that’s what happens when you rush to produce bad imitations of other game genres.

#DeathToAllMiniGames

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

I’ve only ever even gotten to the end of it once out of probably 100+ tries, and then not even in Bronze time. You have to do so much with pixel precision and pixel perfect timing, you need lean techniques, there are so many places where the idiotic “if you stick on terrain that has nothing to indicate it is different from the terrain in front of it, you move to the side on the pixel wide object and fall off before you can react” places that you constantly fall off anywhere from at the start to at the end, there are multiple spots where you can go through a gate too high to trigger it… The list of problems with this adventure goes on and on.

100% this. I find similar issues with Fungus Among Us. There are random hitches in the terrain that will stop a run/jump for seemingly no reason, and it makes climbing jumps on such a strict time feel incredibly broken.

It happens all over the game, on jumping puzzles and vista paths as well. Something that looks completely unclimbable is somehow supposed to be climbed by flinging your body at it until you “stick” on a pixel the developers put in as a jumping point.

The shoddy, untested terrain design is just made more prominent by having Sanctum Scramble (and Fungus) randomly requiring stupid amounts of precision and not having any conveyance for it. And it’s a shame, because SS could have been fun, but when one of my biggest restart points is 5 seconds into the run because the jump doesn’t go quite high enough to clear the glitchy opening branch, it gets beyond frustrating.

SS is also just too ruddy long. The Gold threshold is over two minutes long (2:35, by wiki). While restarting after a mistake is quick and easy (good design, especially for difficult challenges), the iteration time to a failed run is still painful by game standards.
Perhaps too late to go back into it and add a checkpoint system, but it would really help SS not be so crappy.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

My keybinds are fine. I use action camera, but I still need the WASD; the mouse can’t do everything.

The only WASD button you need while doing this adventure is W. You can activate the 1,2 and 3 keys with your ring or index fingers while still keeping your middle finger on W if you turn the camera with the mouse.

I use a Logitech G600 (an MMO mouse with 12 side buttons mapped from 1 to = by default) but most gaming mice have at least 3 thumb buttons that you can map to 1, 2 and 3 if only for the duration of the adventure.

Also check this guy’s video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2ZITO3oAIg

Edit: sorry, wrong video

(edited by Pifil.5193)

Posted by: Moyayuki.3619

Moyayuki.3619

Yesterday, when SS was needed for PvE Dailies, was the first time I had ever tried it. And it took me probably a half hour to just get Bronze. The first time in my attempt that I did get to the chest, I had inadvertantly skipped the gates, so even though I got to the end, it didn’t count for the Adventure (got the AP for the JP, though). I watched videos but the first thing I noticed in nearly all of them is that the distance skill 3 could be targeted was further than how it was when I was playing, meaning there was a distance nerf made since HoT’s release.

Anyway, I also didn’t like SS, OP, you’re not alone. I’m amazed I got Bronze at all, as for most of the time I only got eight of the eleven gates before time ran out. It felt just as frustrating as the Clock Tower during Halloween.

Server: Dragonbrand
Guild: Moonlit Renegades (Moon)
Highest-Level Toon: Markus Emmerich, 80 Human Scrapper

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Bronze is the best I’ve done on Scramble as well. I see people in videos using the skills while gliding but every time I try that I get flung somewhere random and fall out of the puzzle.

If there’s a video out there that adds explanatory text and pointing arrows at each tricky move, as I saw one do for A Fungus Among Us, that would help me tremendously. I just don’t know when to use the skills to really race through the Scramble.

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

Bronze is the best I’ve done on Scramble as well. I see people in videos using the skills while gliding but every time I try that I get flung somewhere random and fall out of the puzzle.

If there’s a video out there that adds explanatory text and pointing arrows at each tricky move, as I saw one do for A Fungus Among Us, that would help me tremendously. I just don’t know when to use the skills to really race through the Scramble.

Ummm…. the video I posted does that (I didn’t make it BTW).

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

Nah—Drone Race is.

Rauderi.8706

Nah—Drone Race is.

My rounds of practice and getting gold in drone race took less time than a single run of Sanctum Scramble. Let that particular imbalance of effort sink in. :\

Many alts; handle it!
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Ummm…. the video I posted does that (I didn’t make it BTW).

So it does! I hadn’t had a chance to view it. Thanks, I am going to study the heck out of that one.

Posted by: ZerotheFang.5890

ZerotheFang.5890

as most people said its more about timing but then again as people said A fungus among us is worse but yeah most the AB adventures are pretty bad i think it be easier if they added more time to the limits and had gold be super speedy run or something. issue i have yes there are videos but that does not help half the time cause things like lag/reaction times maybe different for other people.

my issue more timing/lag/depth perception also timer based things are pain.

where there is light, shadows lurk and fear reigns.

Posted by: Baldrick.8967

Baldrick.8967

For us older folk, having to study a video and remember just when to use some twitch reaction thing that isn’t part of the core game just isn’t fun. It gets stale pretty fast, as well as frustrating that we can no longer do things easily that we took for granted in our teens/twenties.

Anything that forces a timer on you isn’t fun. You can’t pause it while you take another look at the video to see which silly skill you have to use to proceed at a particular point, so it’s fail again and back to the start.

The fact so many mastery points are locked behind something that isn’t core game is a very bad design decision. Hopefully they won’t repeat the same mistake again.

WvW player. Doing another world completion for my next Legendary. Hater of mini-games.

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

For us older folk, having to study a video and remember just when to use some twitch reaction thing that isn’t part of the core game just isn’t fun. It gets stale pretty fast, as well as frustrating that we can no longer do things easily that we took for granted in our teens/twenties.

Anything that forces a timer on you isn’t fun. You can’t pause it while you take another look at the video to see which silly skill you have to use to proceed at a particular point, so it’s fail again and back to the start.

The fact so many mastery points are locked behind something that isn’t core game is a very bad design decision. Hopefully they won’t repeat the same mistake again.

+10 This is exactly I have felt about this aspect of the game since they were introduced.

Rauderi.8706

Tangential, but very similar play experience to Scramble: Ley-Line Run.

I did this last night and ran into so many of the same issues that Scramble has.
Glitchy skills. The required teleport could have been useful if it would target where it says it will target with any reliability. The forward dash might save a second or two on straightaways, but it also snags uselessly and is inconsistent for crossing the starting gap.
Terrain is Ley-Line’s biggest sin. Every time I had to restart, it was because the straight-dash hitched on some quirk in the terrain or the teleport targeted a surface that wasn’t stable and dropped me off the run.
…and that’s it, really. It might have been a fun experience, but the terrain design was garbage, which fundamentally ruined it. Same thing for Scramble: the terrain was over-rendered and interferes with glitchy skills, so instead of being fun, it’s anti-fun.

Many alts; handle it!

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

After reading about the adventures, I decided to just avoid them as I do most JP. I don’t play a game to “study”, “practice” or anything else I did in school or do for my job. If it gets to the point where I can’t progress because Mastery Points are locked behind things I don’t like to do, I’ll just go to a different game. Which is a shame because the things I DO like about GW2 make it my favorite MMO right now.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

I did this last night and ran into so many of the same issues that Scramble has.
Glitchy skills. The required teleport could have been useful if it would target where it says it will target with any reliability. The forward dash might save a second or two on straightaways, but it also snags uselessly and is inconsistent for crossing the starting gap.
Terrain is Ley-Line’s biggest sin. Every time I had to restart, it was because the straight-dash hitched on some quirk in the terrain or the teleport targeted a surface that wasn’t stable and dropped me off the run.
…and that’s it, really. It might have been a fun experience, but the terrain design was garbage, which fundamentally ruined it. Same thing for Scramble: the terrain was over-rendered and interferes with glitchy skills, so instead of being fun, it’s anti-fun.

If you’re using the straight-dash anywhere but high up in the air (And ONE flat stretch that you should dash on while waiting for your jumps to cooldown/save for the next set), you’re doing it wrong.

That said – I find Sanctum Scramble the hardest of the ‘races’ because of the size of the course Though Fungus Among Us is up there as well. I have an easier time with it, though, because it’s flatter. (On the other hand… its skills are less forgiving)

Rauderi.8706

If you’re using the straight-dash anywhere but high up in the air (And ONE flat stretch that you should dash on while waiting for your jumps to cooldown/save for the next set), you’re doing it wrong.

That said – I find Sanctum Scramble the hardest of the ‘races’ because of the size of the course Though Fungus Among Us is up there as well. I have an easier time with it, though, because it’s flatter. (On the other hand… its skills are less forgiving)

There’s two reasonable straightaways to use the dash. The rest of the tracks are either too short to justify it or too jump-climby for it, since all it does is boost a short distance. The starting dash is good for the first jump, except for those times it shoots short for no reason and drops the player to the floor. Whee. Shame about those teleports not working as projected.

Fungus actually feels reasonably short. Ish? It’s just that the actual segments are kinda crap and too full of garbage terrain hitches to get a clean run in one go.

Many alts; handle it!

Posted by: zakuruchi.4086

zakuruchi.4086

The trick about SS it you need to make good use of a combination of the skills. not just 3,2, or 1, but 3 followed by glide then 2 or 1 followed glide – 2, then cancel 2. This results in a long dash in the air, where you dont find any collision with ground objects (usually). If you spend a lot of time climbing or colliding with random hitches on the ground, you might be doing it wrong. As someone said, it’s not a jumping puzzle, it’s a gliding puzzle.

There has been no distance nerf for skill 3 in SS, but you do need to turn on lock ground target in max range, and need to know the general direction where you can target it.