Scribing: Why You can't Build a Chair.

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Nightbringer Tenchi.5794

Nightbringer Tenchi.5794

When Scribing and decorations where announced for Heart of Thorns i was one of those people that was the most excited over the it, being able to basically claim a spot in a guild hall and treat it as your “home” made the idea of guild halls feel more personal and important, rather than just being a place people gather. But what i experience with trying to create decoration and actually be a scribe are driving me to the point where my most favorable option is to abandon and forget its even in the game. the flaws and cons out way the few and far between pros.

The Material Cost.
Scribing isn’t cheap. In game chatter is reporting that it takes around 3000 gold just to get to level 400. That’s bad, like really bad. it kneecaps anyone who plays casually or doesn’t make money quickly in game. Guess you could always ask the guild for donations right? What a joke. Between personal crafting needs and what little players get from events, no one is willing to donate anything they can make money from. Resonating Slivers for example, 5-6 guild events per week and you see between 4-6 slivers per player. most people sell them since they are valuable and high demand by people who actually want to scribe. no one is thinking of giving all that profit to 1 player for a crafting discipline they may not even care about. so just getting those is costly, both in time and money. and with what few materials i can access being only level 58 in Scribing(at the time I’m writing this) everything else is either major money consumption or major grinding and farming. But you can make a chair! Wait… No you cant…

Scribing… Permissions?
So, you level a scribe to at least 50, your guild has bled itself to unlock basic decorations(if only a small portion of them, which also cost 50s+special material you ONLY get from completing Dragon Stand Meta event) and you’ve gathered enough materials to upgrade that Basic Chair into a Fancy Chair, but the craft button doesn’t work for that recipe. I’ll go to the wiki and see what it says. Wait, whats a PvE Processing Line and why does it take resonance? So i use the Assembly Device? I don’t have permission to use this thing? So i spend time and money to get to a point where i can at least make nice props for the guild, but only if the Guild Leader says i can or if i have someone with permission que it for me. This is both discouraging and disheartening. I just want to make a nice chair, but all the power of weather or not I’m aloud to make a nice chair is up to the people with power above me, whom may not even want to give me the permission at all.

It takes a Guild to get a hall, it takes a Guild to upgrade and unlock Scribing, and it takes a Guild to gather the basic materials so at least 1 person can be a scribe. But all that effort goes to waste, Scribing goes to waste, if the guild leader doesn’t give the scribe permission to build. Everything about Heart of Thorns is more grinding and this one thing that players cant even make money from is locked from them. But at least it looked great on paper right? If i can’t even make a chair, why should i even care about Scribing anymore?

Posted by: Vavume.8065

Vavume.8065

You are right it did look great on paper, it also looked great on the streams pre HoT, but sadly it looks terrible now. I expected to be able to craft many things for my guild hall, not for free ofc but for some reasonable amount of gold/materials but during those streams it seems they forgot to mention just how stupid the material costs would be and what could have been so much fun for so many people is now just a headache for a very select few who are rich and stuborn enough to throw their gold away on this.
The direction this game has taken since HoT release with the over inflated costs on everything is very disappointing, clearly there were decisions made high up to crack down on our ability to make gold and at the same time to find every way they can to bleed our gold from us, everyday I read these forums in the hope that a dev will come and tell us, don’t worry guys we know we made a mistake and we are going to fix it, but yeah maybe pigs might fly too.

Posted by: SirDrygan.1823

SirDrygan.1823

I didn’t even bother to donate to my guild at all. They will probably kicked me one day, but I do not care anymore. Donating is taking out resources that I need to make my ascended gear that I am forced to make in order to join a raid team, if not, they won’t even consider you if you are on exotics. And I am an ele that hits hard, I still need to squeeze out that 5% extra damage in order to get into a raid teams…..

Posted by: Bandit.8279

Bandit.8279

Try making a gathering banner! It costs several gold to make…

Guys, I’m putting down this gathering banner but anyone that touches it needs to send me a gold to help pay for it. Thanks.

Fools N Gold [FNG] of Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

It’s working as intended though. It’s not designed to be a fun and social place. It’s designed to bleed people of their gold. That way you are aggressively encouraged to buy gems with real money and convert those gems into gold to spend on scribing materials.

I agree with you OP. It’s awful the way it’s implemented. The gorgeous designs of the guild halls aren’t there to be a beautiful in game place to gatehr with friends. They are there to relieve you and your friends of your materials and gold in massive quantities.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

And try being a member of more than one guild, all of which have a guild hall and scribes that need donations. I’ve been saving up gold for my own needs and now I have more than one guild to donate my scarce mats to.

And forget about my bank guilds that I had banners unlocked on. Those unlocks are just sitting there now, dusty and unused.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

Oh dear, with all the other stuff I hate about HoT, I’m glad I’m not interested in anything guild related. Because this sounds like it sprang from the minds of madmen.

ArenaNet seem to be working according to the System of Doctor Tarr and Professor Fether lately.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

I didn’t even bother to donate to my guild at all. They will probably kicked me one day, but I do not care anymore. Donating is taking out resources that I need to make my ascended gear that I am forced to make in order to join a raid team, if not, they won’t even consider you if you are on exotics. And I am an ele that hits hard, I still need to squeeze out that 5% extra damage in order to get into a raid teams…..

Yeah, I don’t know of any guild groups that allow their regular raiders to wear anything other than ascended. From what I’m seeing and hearing, ascended gear is already considered standard raiding requirements.