"Shards of Glory" tradeable

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: DieFinn.3594

DieFinn.3594

Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns will introduce Shards of Glory, a new tradable crafting material obtained through PvP.
From: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/pvp-reward-tracks/

So all off the people who were whining on how they don´t want to be “forced” to PvP are getting what they wanted. Now I should wait to hear something like: “It shouldn´t be tradeable, because… will be to costly… or should force people to pvp… or whatever”

I think its a good way to do this. I will most likely try to get most of the Shards trough PvP. If I need some more at the end or want to speed things up, I can buy them. PvPers get a (maybe) good sellable item, if they want gold and all the PvE-only-players are able to get there pre-collections without evil PvP.

But its only my opinion and I am curious how the rest of the forum might see this.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I think I’ve always been an advocate for offering multiple acquisition options for any particular object, this case the new shards of glory. No, not necessarily ‘easier’ options, just additional alternatives. I’m not against them being tradable, per se, but I do kind of find it a pity that buying them is the the only ‘alternative’ we have to doing pvp for them. I would have preferred if they’d have added them as rewards for other types of specific game play – like crab toss, sanctum sprint, any of the assorted holiday arenas, etc. They are, after all, pvp-esk.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Runiir.6425

Runiir.6425

Well, WvW has long been grumbling about lack of an income compared to PvE…this is one way to make up for it.

Posted by: Eponet.4829

Eponet.4829

That’s handy for the people that don’t like to play PvP, it’s good that they’re not being forced into it.

We can only hope that PvE and WvWvW players will be able to trade for gifts of exploration too.

and that WvWvW players will be able to trade their badges of honour

(edited by Eponet.4829)

Posted by: Eldbrand Charging.8902

Eldbrand Charging.8902

That’s handy for the people that don’t like to play PvP, it’s good that they’re not being forced into it.

We can only hope that PvE and WvWvW players will be able to trade for gifts of exploration too.

Since a minority of players do PvP Shades of Glory will be ridiculously priced, it will force players to do Pvp if they want to be able to finish Legendary crafting.

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

Since a minority of players do PvP Shades of Glory will be ridiculously priced, it will force players to do Pvp if they want to be able to finish Legendary crafting.

That’s kind of the point. Colin said one of the reasons all new legendaries going forward are untradable is that they want legendaries to require people to play every part of the game to get them, even if they don’t make it their main thing.

It is likely they made the glory shards tradable to address the income disparity between pvp and pve since they both reward the same currencies now, giving people the option of profiting off of others, but the general intent is that it’s going to always be far cheaper and easier to get that legendary crafted by actually going and doing the content yourself.

We also don’t know what else the glory shards are used for. Off the top of my head I’m guessing some of the guild arena upgrades will probably require them. I don’t believe they’d add a whole new currency, and make it tradable, if its only use was legendary crafting.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Posted by: Eldbrand Charging.8902

Eldbrand Charging.8902

We can only hope that PvE and WvWvW players will be able to trade for gifts of exploration too. I get enough childish behavior at work don’t need it in game.

That’s kind of the point. Colin said one of the reasons all new legendaries going forward are untradable is that they want legendaries to require people to play every part of the game to get them, even if they don’t make it their main thing.

It is likely they made the glory shards tradable to address the income disparity between pvp and pve since they both reward the same currencies now, giving people the option of profiting off of others, but the general intent is that it’s going to always be far cheaper and easier to get that legendary crafted by actually going and doing the content yourself.

We also don’t know what else the glory shards are used for. Off the top of my head I’m guessing some of the guild arena upgrades will probably require them. I don’t believe they’d add a whole new currency, and make it tradable, if its only use was legendary crafting.

Then legendary crafting is a NO NO for me, I will not stand for being forced to play PvP by anyone. Ascended will have to do.

Posted by: Kevan.8912

Kevan.8912

Uhm, another “gate”. I’m even more perplexed..
Good that it can be traded, but buy something is not the best kind of an “alternative way”

Posted by: Kill.3458

Kill.3458

Im glad, legendary process should be an investment into ALL the game has to offer

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

The outcome of this depends on the quantity needed to complete a legendary.

You only get 2 per reward track it seems. If you need 10 then they probably won’t be too expensive. If you need 100, then I suspect they will be 100+ gold each.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

You only get 2 per reward track it seems. If you need 10 then they probably won’t be too expensive. If you need 100, then I suspect they will be 100+ gold each.

Somehow I see them requiring a full stack. After all, it’s supposed to take you a bit.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Sykper.6583

Sykper.6583

Interesting.

With SPvPers having this tradable, they now have a highly demanded item they could sell to the big pockets of PvE players. This…is actually really smart and helps out SPvPers who wanted another source of income aside from just reward tracks. What matters is what the price will be when it stabilizes, will each one of these shards be worth akin to a T6 mat or higher or lower?

Very curious.

Suicidal Warrior.
Putting Perspective on Zerg Sizes since 2012. Common Suffixes for 40+ include ~Zilla and ~Train
“Seriously, just dodge.”

Posted by: MashMash.1645

MashMash.1645

Somehow I see them requiring a full stack. After all, it’s supposed to take you a bit.

That would be great. I am currently unlocking all the weapon and armour skins, and getting the dungeon tokens via the tracks, so this extra thing is good. I’ve got a heap to go still, so getting these new shards along the way is super handy. And if I don’t use them I can sell them. Very nice

Pre-Ordered HoT | Recently started to get what I paid for – may spend $$$

Just a flesh wound.3589

That would be great. I am currently unlocking all the weapon and armour skins, and getting the dungeon tokens via the tracks, so this extra thing is good. I’ve got a heap to go still, so getting these new shards along the way is super handy. And if I don’t use them I can sell them. Very nice

I admit I’m looking forward to selling any I don’t want. ^^

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

So all off the people who were whining on how they don´t want to be “forced” to PvP are getting what they wanted.

I’m whining because I don’t want these shards to take away my T-charges.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Posted by: Eponet.4829

Eponet.4829

So all off the people who were whining on how they don´t want to be “forced” to PvP are getting what they wanted.

I’m whining because I don’t want these shards to take away my T-charges.

Oh wow. That is awful. I didn’t notice that part until you pointed it out.

Being able to swim in transmutation charges is the best part of the PvP rewards.

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Interesting.

With SPvPers having this tradable, they now have a highly demanded item they could sell to the big pockets of PvE players. This…is actually really smart and helps out SPvPers who wanted another source of income aside from just reward tracks. What matters is what the price will be when it stabilizes, will each one of these shards be worth akin to a T6 mat or higher or lower?

Very curious.

If you only get 2 for finishing a whole track they’re going to be MUCH higher than a t6 mat. More akin to a desirable Lodestone. 2-3 gold each would be my guess.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Sykper.6583

Interesting.

Very curious.

If you only get 2 for finishing a whole track they’re going to be MUCH higher than a t6 mat. More akin to a desirable Lodestone. 2-3 gold each would be my guess.

….Actually that makes sense when you really get down to it. 2-3 gold each is nothing too intense for PvEers to grind out in open world if they absolutely abhor doing SPvP. What’s probably going to influence the price is not the SPvPers who are going to be getting these all the time, but the players who like all modes and want to dabble more in SPvP just to get those extra shards to sell on the market.

And the best part is that these will always be desirable for players who want to craft their precursors, which I could argue is a majority of players across all modes, and that it helps SPvPers earn a source of income outside of chests and match silver. I can’t consider what downside there is to this, it makes SPvP even more profitable.

Furthermore, we can probably assume the WvW tokens are probably the same though I imagine those might be significantly less costly given the popularity of game-modes.

Suicidal Warrior.
Putting Perspective on Zerg Sizes since 2012. Common Suffixes for 40+ include ~Zilla and ~Train
“Seriously, just dodge.”

Posted by: Name.9128

Name.9128

lol at people complaining how hard it’ll be to make a legendary. I mean it is legendary.

-Skydis

Posted by: Pockets.3201

Pockets.3201

I look forward to dragging down whatever team gets stuck with me in PvP when I need to get these.

I’ll be all, “Hey, blame Anet.”

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

I look forward to dragging down whatever team gets stuck with me in PvP when I need to get these.

With luck, we’ll be on the same team. It would be nice to not be the worst player on the team for once. ::laughs::

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Zetsumei.4975

Zetsumei.4975

Well, WvW has long been grumbling about lack of an income compared to PvE…this is one way to make up for it.

Wvw players won’t be receiving this reward cos it’s only part of the spvp reward track unless I’m mistaken.

Kurodaraku – Necromancer | Kuroshikon – Ranger
Officer of [DEX] Deus Ex Machina Eu and [Fus] Fus Ro Dâh
Ruins of Surmia

Nike.2631

You won’t. The matchmaking puts new/weak PvP players together where they can all slap fight each other to death without bothering the more practiced kids.

Posted by: DieFinn.3594

DieFinn.3594

Then legendary crafting is a NO NO for me, I will not stand for being forced to play PvP by anyone. Ascended will have to do.

Bwahaha, now be happy. You can buy the PvP-Stuff. If you want more, I have no idea how Anet can help you. Like many others here and in other discussions pointed out: its a legendary journy, not a I only do what i want to do and get the best looking shiny journy.

It seems that you will need 100 shards of glory for tier 1 of the precursor. (Source: http://dulfy.net/2015/09/26/gw2-twitchcon-legendary-journey-in-hot/ look into the video, the screenshot is not the best to see how many you will need) Abou the quantity you will need for the other tiers of the precursur we only can assume. I think it would be possible to take 300 for a full precursor. That would be 150 full rewardtracks. I must say, really not bad.

Maybe Anet trys to make the ressource-aspekt of the pre-collection optainable for all game mods. I mean if a PvP player whats to do the pre-collection to craft a pre, he must get (Spiritwood Plank for example) somewhere. In most cases, they will more likly buy them, then spend there time in PvE farming for those. So the PvP player gets something he can sell to buy other parts he wants. It sounds like a fair deal. I hope WvW will get something along that line.

ZudetGambeous.9573

Bwahaha, now be happy. You can buy the PvP-Stuff. If you want more, I have no idea how Anet can help you. Like many others here and in other discussions pointed out: its a legendary journy, not a I only do what i want to do and get the best looking shiny journy.

It seems that you will need 100 shards of glory for tier 1 of the precursor. (Source: http://dulfy.net/2015/09/26/gw2-twitchcon-legendary-journey-in-hot/ look into the video, the screenshot is not the best to see how many you will need) Abou the quantity you will need for the other tiers of the precursur we only can assume. I think it would be possible to take 300 for a full precursor. That would be 150 full rewardtracks. I must say, really not bad.

Maybe Anet trys to make the ressource-aspekt of the pre-collection optainable for all game mods. I mean if a PvP player whats to do the pre-collection to craft a pre, he must get (Spiritwood Plank for example) somewhere. In most cases, they will more likly buy them, then spend there time in PvE farming for those. So the PvP player gets something he can sell to buy other parts he wants. It sounds like a fair deal. I hope WvW will get something along that line.

if you only got 2 per reward track then 300 would be insane. No one would ever get a legendary. you get 1.5 ticks of a reward track per win. There are 40 ticks per full reward track, or 27 wins per reward track. That is 1 shard for every 13.5 wins. Each match is ~15 minutes in total duration. That is 200 minutes per shard, or 1000 hours of PvP just to get the shards.

Shards would cost upwards of 100g each, making precursors cost more than 30,000g each.

So obviously there are either more ways to get them, you don’t actually need 300, or Anet made a horrible mistake somewhere.

Nike.2631

So obviously there are either more ways to get them, you don’t actually need 300, or Anet made a horrible mistake somewhere.

Or your expectations for how hard they will be to assemble are simply wrong.

ZudetGambeous.9573

Or your expectations for how hard they will be to assemble are simply wrong.

I’d quote exactly what I just said but you already did that and somehow still missed what I said so I don’t think it would help…

Nike.2631

What did I miss? You think it’s insane to have to do 150 tracks. I said you’re not the person who gets to decide. And I don’t see 150 tracks to be any more odious a grind than personally farming 2000 T6 mats so its not like the precedent isn’t there…

ZudetGambeous.9573

What did I miss? You think it’s insane to have to do 150 tracks. I said you’re not the person who gets to decide. And I don’t see 150 tracks to be any more odious a grind than personally farming 2000 T6 mats so its not like the precedent isn’t there…

I am the person who gets to decide if I do it or not. The dulfy video shows that it takes 100 shards to do stage 1 precursor crafting. There are 3 stages, it is a pretty safe assumption they will need similar things/cost per stage.

The devs said in their blog yesterday that you get 2 shards per reward track.

I’m not sure what you are disagreeing with here. These are the numbers they showed to us…

If you honestly think that 2000 T6 mats takes a similar time commitment as 150 reward tracks then I must assume you are trolling. 2000 T6 mats take ~500g or about 50 hours of play. Not sure how you can compare that to 150 reward tracks… it doesn’t even compare to 20 reward tracks.

Posted by: HaxTester.9816

HaxTester.9816

It’s about time! It takes me on average 8 to 9 hours to finish a reward track. In those nine hours, I could have farmed atleast 15 or more gold. :P
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Zaishen_Key

Attachments:

Anvil Rockers Unite!

Posted by: MarkBecks.6453

MarkBecks.6453

OMG maybe awesome for new players playing this and unlocking all the new PvP jungle levels for the first time, but to get to Dragon finisher playing games with mindless rallybots has to be the single most frustrating part of GW2. The whole expansion is all about levelling and unlocking levels and materials ad naseum. Having played for 3 years, 5 × 100% map completion, 1857 level wvw, 80 lev PvP. Levellig is a grind, and these gifts Anets talks about is smoke and mirrors, its all about the nerfs to anything that gives any decent loot, its all about the greens and the blues.
Really, to start back at scratch again is to much for the brain, maybe its time to pull out something that will actually stimulate the brain. Ive bought HoT already and was looking forward to new content, but it seems, same ol, same ol disguised in true marketing style.

Posted by: ODB.6891

ODB.6891

This^

I’ll be doing the same. I’ll be terrible in PvP lol…but so long as I don’t have to pay some ridiculous price on the TP…I’ll be happy to be a rally bot in PvP.

Just a flesh wound.3589

They want people doing PvP. If PvE farmers can get a gold or two with ~10 minutes of PvPing then that’s going to attract farmers into PvP, to do the dailies at least. Now how the PvP community is going to take having PvEers come in to PvP just to farm for shards is another story.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

It’s about time! It takes me on average 8 to 9 hours to finish a reward track. In those nine hours, I could have farmed atleast 15 or more gold. :P

In 8-9 hours you can probably farm 100 gold

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Posted by: Morfedel.4165

Morfedel.4165

I suspect that, at first, shards will be very expensive but, as with everything else, in time it will go down in price.

So if you don’t want to do pvp, farm for gold and watch the shard prices. It will fall, in time. And possibly after a few months of complaining they may even make shards easier to get, dropping the price further.

Me, I like PvP. I like it all, I’m a pvxer. But if it will take 100 shards to do just one level of precursor, at 2 per track, that’s 50 tracks. It seems a bit much.

Well, maybe. I guess we will have to see.

Posted by: Aye.8392

Aye.8392

if you only got 2 per reward track then 300 would be insane. No one would ever get a legendary. you get 1.5 ticks of a reward track per win. There are 40 ticks per full reward track, or 27 wins per reward track. That is 1 shard for every 13.5 wins. Each match is ~15 minutes in total duration. That is 200 minutes per shard, or 1000 hours of PvP just to get the shards.

Shards would cost upwards of 100g each, making precursors cost more than 30,000g each.

And that’s if you win every single match. Not likely.

www.AlchemyIncorporated.net
Sorrows Furnace

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

This is not going to be an issue. Pvp exclusive PvE items have been done before and didn’t become super overcostly on the TP.

Second, the spirit shards appear to be part of the precursor crafting collections. Don’t want a precursor? They’re useless. These are one time only collections. Finish them and you’re done. Want all of the precursors? Get all 38 precursors and you don’t need any more shards.

At launch there will be no use for the things since precursor crafting is a grind to unlock. A stockpile will build up on the TP before they start to get bought.

After the initial rush, prices should settle down like mystic coins did.

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

Posted by: PlatinumMember.5274

PlatinumMember.5274

That’s it? kitten , So I am better off doing gem to dollar. (not that I am complaining).

Nike.2631

If you honestly think that 2000 T6 mats takes a similar time commitment as 150 reward tracks then I must assume you are trolling. 2000 T6 mats take ~500g or about 50 hours of play. Not sure how you can compare that to 150 reward tracks… it doesn’t even compare to 20 reward tracks.

I guess the words “personally farm” were obscured by some lint on your screen or something . That you use gold to pay someone else for their time actually getting those items into the economy… would be exactly like buying the new PvP mats from people who are generating them but not using them.

But the time still has to be spent doing it by somebody in both cases.

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

So many issues with this. Stronghold shouldn’t be launched in the state it’s in. F2P mobas handle that style better. I like stronghold, but only if I am playing in TS with friends. The lack of communication tools that were suggested by the community ages ago are a must for this type of game. Stronghold should launch with one button press lines like, “I’m defending our Champion!”

The removal of 50% of the Trans. Stones is also a poor choice. Why take rewards away from PvP players? Black Lion Chest keys? Great. I am stoked you are adding them. But at the expense of 50% of the Trans Stones? Nope. That’s not cool. It’s bad enough that I’m sitting on a few stacks of Leveling tomes that are next to useless for me now, but to get less Trans Stones is awful. I remember when it was free to have whatever style I wanted in PvP, then you went to stones, and now you are lessening those too?

Not making PvP a requirement and allowing people to sell the new legendary material that only drops in PvP is great, but if you are going to do that then make all Legendary materials across all game modes sellable. I abhor having to do map completion(I have crafted 2 legendaries and doubt I will ever do it again because of the map completion). It feels like grindy nonsense to me.

Overall I feel like all of this is 1 step forward, 2 steps back. Another thing: Making gold in PvP needs to be brought up to the same level as PvE. It was sorta on par when it loot was first introduced, but it’s fallen way behind again.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Sykper.6583

It’s possible they might put the shards under the PvP Daily rewards as well, in case the supply is way too low or the sheer amount of reward tracks required is too many.

Suicidal Warrior.
“Seriously, just dodge.”

Posted by: SakuraJD.4720

SakuraJD.4720

Im more worried about how many we get.. if we need 100 just for one piece of the precursor, what if we only get 1 per instance in the track, meaning 2 total? that would be absolutely bonkers. needing to complete 50 tracks would be WAY too much time. i could see 25 shards per instance being good. if it was 100 shards per track i’d be perfectly happy but thats wishful thinking, i think. though it would still be 4 days for that entire track, in custom farming… but being tradeable is nice. that way people who dont want to participate in the precursor crafting can sell them off, make a little extra cash, or give them to a friend to help THEM out…

Nike.2631

Seriously folks, what part of gathering mats to make a Legendary has ever been anything but ‘way too much time’?

They aren’t going to be worth “a little gold”. They’ve going to be worth a LOT OF GOLD.

Palador.2170

I would like to point out what they actually said is:

To accommodate this change, we’re replacing two of the four transmutation stones on each reward track with Shards of Glory.

Note that they don’t actually say how many shards each stone is replaced with. And we all know how much ANet loves RNG. I’m expecting bags with a small number of shards, somewhere in a narrow range. 1-3, maybe. Not great, but faster than one and only one each time.

Nike.2631

Thing is if the goal is to move coin out of the hands of PvE players who make lots of it and into the hands of PvP players who make very little of it the FEWER the shards we get the better.

And I’m pretty sure that’s exactly the goal.

Palador.2170

Thing is if the goal is to move coin out of the hands of PvE players who make lots of it and into the hands of PvP players who make very little of it the FEWER the shards we get the better.

And I’m pretty sure that’s exactly the goal.

Thanks for reminding me, that’s the other reason I expect some RNG. They’ll want to be able to adjust the rates of that coin transfer if it’s too high or too low. If it’s set at one per, then it’s hard to adjust. If there’s a variable there, then they can adjust it and there’s little visible impact.

Nike.2631

Which means the reasonable price for one shard is 40-50 gold…

It’ll be less because there are lots of sPvP players who just won’t care about the shards and dump them for way less than their time is worth in equivalent gold-farming, but it’s still gonna be no joke buying someone else’s time.

Thanks for reminding me, that’s the other reason I expect some RNG. They’ll want to be able to adjust the rates of that coin transfer if it’s too high or too low. If it’s set at one per, then it’s hard to adjust. If there’s a variable there, then they can adjust it and there’s little visible impact.

A valid point, but they often just let the chips fall where they may.

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

That’s it? kitten , So I am better off doing gem to dollar. (not that I am complaining).

Of course if you have a decently paid job convertig gems to gold will always be most time effective.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

ZudetGambeous.9573

I guess the words “personally farm” were obscured by some lint on your screen or something . That you use gold to pay someone else for their time actually getting those items into the economy… would be exactly like buying the new PvP mats from people who are generating them but not using them.

But the time still has to be spent doing it by somebody in both cases.

I’ve actually done it twice. Using only drops, T6 directly, and T5 converted to T6 using mats I obtained by farming.

Using a mix of daily laurels, SW farming and specific location farming, it took me 3 months, and about 150 hours of play to collect all 2000 mats. Didn’t have to spend a single gold.

But as someone else pointed out in this thread the blog actually says they are replacing TS with shards of glory, they never say how many. So I am assuming that is where the difference comes in. We’ll probably get 5-10 in each bag making it much more reasonable.

Posted by: Atharian.7092

Atharian.7092

I’m just glad that SPvP is finally getting some love. We are so far behind PvE that its not even funny. Please don’t complain about being forced to buy them, as PvE players make about 1000% more gold than us already. Let us have a small slice of that pie.

(edited by Atharian.7092)