"Shards of Glory" tradeable

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

It’s not a big deal to me, personally. I don’t think doing different aspects of the game would be a big pain for me. As it is, I kind of already do.

That said, I’m not sure I understand the whole “do all aspects for a legendary” design choice, in principle (and yeah, I know Shards will be tradeable – I’m talking about the general idea of non-tradable aspects).

It sounds great on paper, but how many players are there who stick to a few different types of gamplay (sometimes even 1 single type) and are avid, active players? I don’t have any numbers on that, but it seems kind of short-sighted to force those players to participate in virtually everything to get a legendary.

In terms of game accomplishment, what is more impressive? Being a jack-of-all-trades? Or being an expert at PvP? Or an expert at dungeons? And so on. I don’t see how diving into different game modes makes you legendary. It makes you versatile, I guess, but now you will be semi-good at a few things, instead of super good at one or two things. It feels like a cheap excuse to make people explore all aspects of the game and always has.

But maybe it is born out of some kind of game stereotype of the whole “lone explorer” character (kind of like in Fallout) who traverses everything and comes out on top and is basically a “legend.” It makes more sense in that framework, but it doesn’t make sense in terms of what a legend is, as legendary people in RL are usually somebody who excelled in a single field, not people who were jack-of-all-trades. Or were amazing at everything (as far as I can tell, amazing at everything would be closer to the definition of a god, rather than a legendary figure).

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: DieFinn.3594

DieFinn.3594

But as someone else pointed out in this thread the blog actually says they are replacing TS with shards of glory, they never say how many. So I am assuming that is where the difference comes in. We’ll probably get 5-10 in each bag making it much more reasonable.

Hm, that would be indeed reasonable. Somehow I were jumping to conclusion in thinking there would be only one shard per replaced transmutation charge. If it would really be 5-10 shards per (maybe) bag or something it would have serveral “positiv” aspekts. First Anet will get some sort of RNG and we all know how they love RNG Second the price would (maybe) be resonable.

We should furthermore assume that we need 100 shards for the hammer-haft and 100 more for the hammer-head. That would make 200 for tier one of the precurser. But at the end we doesn´t know if the shown numbers are final.

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

I am tired of the inconsistencies. The WvW and PvE legendary materials are account bound but the PvP ones aren’t? PvP needs people to be playing in it. More so now that there are two game modes and GvG thrown in. Make the shard account bound or change the other items in WvW and PvE to be sellable.

Whatever you do, be consistent. And for the love of Pete, please start monitoring PvP gold gain so that we can actually just play PvP as a viable way for a GW2 income. I have to pay your silly BLTC tax, I should be able to make just as much money as someone playing PvE or WvW. Full Stop.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

I am tired of the inconsistencies. The WvW and PvE legendary materials are account bound but the PvP ones aren’t? PvP needs people to be playing in it. More so now that there are two game modes and GvG thrown in. Make the shard account bound or change the other items in WvW and PvE to be sellable.

Whatever you do, be consistent. And for the love of Pete, please start monitoring PvP gold gain so that we can actually just play PvP as a viable way for a GW2 income. I have to pay your silly BLTC tax, I should be able to make just as much money as someone playing PvE or WvW. Full Stop.

lol…

Paragraph 1: stop giving us ways to make gold!

Paragraph 2: Please give us ways to make gold!

Everything in PvE is sellable, hence why PvE players make so much more gold than you. Now you are getting the same thing but are complaining about it.

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

lol…

Everything in PvE is sellable, hence why PvE players make so much more gold than you. Now you are getting the same thing but are complaining about it.

So you can sell the Map completion Legendary item? You can sell the WvW Legendary item? Context. I am talking specifically about the Legendary grade items needed in Legendary crafting.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Onerios.4962

Onerios.4962

There will be an upper bound on the price of shards of glory because they are still in competition with the mystic forge and random drops for obtaining precursors. I can’t say exactly what it will be, but I have serious doubts about the price of shards going over a couple of gold because of it (assuming it is less then five shards per reward) and the cost of the rest of the materials required to make precursors.

Posted by: CindyKa.6137

CindyKa.6137

“I should be able to make just as much money as someone playing PvE or WvW. Full Stop.”

Agree with this comment completely and while giving pvp the ability to make as much gold as pve.
Pve players upon character creation should have access to full sets of exotic armor, access to exotic trinkets and unlimited sigils and runes. All for free of course

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

I wonder if they’ll fix the “exploit” called custom arena before introducing this. Because otherwise everyone can go on a farm server and fill their reward tracks to get the shards of glory anyway.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

I have to pay your silly BLTC tax, I should be able to make just as much money as someone playing PvE or WvW. Full Stop.

WvW players make money?

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

lol…

So you can sell the Map completion Legendary item? You can sell the WvW Legendary item? Context. I am talking specifically about the Legendary grade items needed in Legendary crafting.

Yes you can. You can sell the completed legendary, and you can easily buy the WvW item by buying achievement points.

90% of the items are tradeable, the other 10% have slowly been nerfed/removed such that they are so easy to aquire that it doesn’t matter. For instance the WvW item used to require that you WvW, yet now you will get it long before you get a legendary without ever setting foot in WvW because of achievement chests (the points which you can buy through various methods). World completion has had all of WvW requirement removed, and is 1 of two items you can’t directly/indirectly buy. The only other thing for a legendary you can’t buy is karma shards, but those are so easy to get most people are drowning in them.

The shards of glory are both a PvP only item and sellable, meaning more people will PvP AND PvP players will be able to make more gold. It is by far the best solution.

P.S.- we also don’t know if we’ll even need world completion for the new legendary items.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I wonder if they’ll fix the “exploit” called custom arena before introducing this. Because otherwise everyone can go on a farm server and fill their reward tracks to get the shards of glory anyway.

The custom arenas give a lot less rank points. The Custom arena players are also capped in the amount they can gain per day, at 2 major reward tiers a day (one sixth of a reward track as I understand it).

Custom Arena: 500 points per win. 200 points per loss
Unranked and ranked: 1,500 points per win. 500 per loss.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)