Shattering Blow Caused Me to Shelve GW2

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Kaleban.9834

Kaleban.9834

I main Ele.

An easy conceptual idea for Eles are the Benders from Avatar.

Earth Benders summon rocks and hurl them at opponents.

But instead of the cool as kitten skills we see on the Berserker that thematically might fit on Ele, we got Tempest. Warrior gets new utility skill type, Ele gets shouts.

I’m not kitten, as I realize that the creative juices might be lacking at times. But balance and concept seem to be moving ever further away from logic or consistency, and the various development and balance teams seem to be completely cut off from each other.

I mean, how else to explain the Berserker and probable upcoming Ninja/Daredevil on Thief, and then compare it to the Tempest and Dragonhunter?

But before a bunch of rage posts follow, I’m not doing the “do what I say or I leave” threat post so common these days. I’m just saying that the game’s current direction doesn’t fill me with a desire to play, and I am honestly hoping that ANet gets its act together because I DO like the concept of the game, but it just gets more and more difficult to want to login and actually do anything.

Posted by: Duke Blackrose.4981

Duke Blackrose.4981

Honestly, it’s not really a big issues. These are nothing more than the first generation of elite specs. There will be others, and those others will likely fit the theme that some players want for their class. Can’t please everyone.

I for one am looking forward to the Herald more than any other elite specialization, and I’m surprised at the lack of hype surrounding it. It’s way cooler than the Chronomancer and more useful than the Reaper.

Posted by: Fox.3469

Fox.3469

If this caused you to shelve GW2 you probally weren’t gonna play for much longer anyway. See ya.

If you are looking for a cozy mature Dutch guild (EU) let me know.

Posted by: Duke Blackrose.4981

Duke Blackrose.4981

If this caused you to shelve GW2 you probally weren’t gonna play for much longer anyway. See ya.

This isn’t even the worst reason I’ve seen. I had a friend quit because they’re adding raids. Not because of the content, but literally because of the name “raids” on account of the term being “nonsensical.”

Posted by: CynicalFred.9135

CynicalFred.9135

Or in other words you’re mad because warriors get cool stuff and you didn’t.

I’ve never been interested in ele in the slightest, so i haven’t kept up, but tbh they can already do some pretty kitten cool stuff so worst comes to worst you’d just keep using what you’re using now. They’re meant to be side grades not direct upgrades and while they do look pretty sweet for some classes there are still builds that won’t use those flashy new traits and skills.
Eles are the most versatile class in the game, the only thing with close to that much versatility is an engie, and maybe the rev. but neither of them can do as much damage as a staff ele can (at least as far as we know)

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

I’m starting to see the reason why ANet doesn’t say anything. While I’m not thrilled with the announcement either, let’s not jump to extreme conclusions. Again, I suggest a ‘wait and see’ option. If these changes hit during open beta and before live, then it might be panic and quit time.

Otherwise, let cooler heads prevail.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: Sev.3826

Sev.3826

People who main elementalists have been so angry since the tempest announcement lately. Let other classes have some time in the limelight for once, ffs! It’s just a kitten rock punch.

Posted by: Pretty Pixie.8603

Pretty Pixie.8603

I find your reasoning strange, OP. Because Berserker got something you considered good for your Ele, you don’t want to play anymore?

You can’t expect a Dev team to have the exact same creative instincts you have. Nor is yours neccessarily superior.

I would personally hold judgement until the final version is available to play. By stopping play now you give up all opportunity to give feedback to shape the Elite spec in a direction you think is better.

Relentless Inquisition [PAIN] – FA

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

Honestly think the Tempest will get more people playing Ele possibly because there are subsets of players that like playing less-mainstream set ups. I honestly don’t think Tempest is necessarily an underdog but I can only see the devs helping it out with additions in the future and I know there are also people out there who despise having their builds pulled out from under them…

Posted by: SkiTz.4590

SkiTz.4590

While tempest sucks compared to
Iiterally every elite spec out there, its still beta.

If there arent drastic changes made to tempest, expect a kittenstorm from the ele forums

Posted by: Zaklex.6308

Zaklex.6308

I think one problem is everyone is looking at this from a perspective of playing WvW and/or PvP…and you have to keep in mind that these Elite Specs have to work in PvE as well, which means that in one area they might not be what you’re looking for, but in another they’re what a subset of the player base needs. Also, as at least one other pointed out, this is only the first set of Elites, there will be more to follow.

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Tempest is really in a bad state right now but it’s probably not too late for them to fix it.

There has to be a director at Anet making a judgment call on the quality of these elite profession. Right now they range from amazing (Chronomancer-Berserker) to very good (Reaper) to good (Dragon Hunter) to terrible (Tempest).

You can also change class, which is what I am preparing to do.

(edited by Xillllix.3485)

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

I main Ele.

But instead of the cool as kitten skills we see on the Berserker that thematically might fit on Ele, we got Tempest.

This isn’t Air Bender nor is it a martial arts MMO, why are you basing expectations on a completely unrelated franchise that bears no resemblance to GW2? If you want Elementalists that practice martial arts then wait for Blade and Soul, Black Desert, any other martial arts MMO, or possibly a Canthan expansion where it would be thematically appropriate.

Warrior gets new utility skill type, Ele gets shouts.

“Warriors get new utility skills of a type they didn’t have before, while Elementalists get new utility skills of a type they didn’t have before.”

How is that unfair? The name of the utility type is meaningless, it only exists as a descriptor of the mechanic that locks types of skills to specialization lines. If they renamed Elementalist shouts to “Incantations” it would be just as extensive and “new” a change as “Rage” was.

I’m not kitten, as I realize that the creative juices might be lacking at times. But balance and concept seem to be moving ever further away from logic or consistency, and the various development and balance teams seem to be completely cut off from each other.

I mean, how else to explain the Berserker and probable upcoming Ninja/Daredevil on Thief, and then compare it to the Tempest and Dragonhunter?

And you’re complaining about the non-existent balance issues of two elite specializations that are still in beta versus two elite specializations that aren’t even in beta yet. Do you honestly expect anyone to take you seriously?

But before a bunch of rage posts follow, I’m not doing the “do what I say or I leave” threat post so common these days. I’m just saying that the game’s current direction doesn’t fill me with a desire to play, and I am honestly hoping that ANet gets its act together because I DO like the concept of the game, but it just gets more and more difficult to want to login and actually do anything.

Can I have your stuff?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Ele is one of the best all round professions in the game, if not the best. If your’e going to walk over a single specialization that you don’t like, that’s okay. Because if it wasn’t this it would be something else.

You remind me of a woman who sold her house because she didn’t like one of the door knobs.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

The OP is actually going to shelve the game because of a beta profession that hasn’t even come out yet and no one has even tried it to see its strengths and weaknesses?

Attachments:

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: YuiRS.8129

YuiRS.8129

Gotta love these “I’m quitting, but first I’m gonna tell you why!” posts. Sure, buddy, we all really care that you think your insanely overpowered class doesn’t get a smashy rock ability.

So long. The less eles in this game the better.

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

Honestly, it’s not really a big issues. These are nothing more than the first generation of elite specs.

First generation of elite specs is the most important one.

Posted by: Morfedel.4165

Morfedel.4165

Honestly, it’s not really a big issues. These are nothing more than the first generation of elite specs.

They’ve already made changes to elite specs and the revenant based on player feedback, so it’s not like tempest is in its final form

Morfedel.4165

I main Ele.

But instead of the cool as kitten skills we see on the Berserker that thematically might fit on Ele, we got Tempest. Warrior gets new utility skill type, Ele gets shouts.

So an expansion that has new zones, new content, new monsters, masteries, the new difficult content, 9 elite specializations and a new class, and you are quitting because of one skill?

That doesn’t make any sense, but to each their own I guess

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

You can always pretend Tempest doesn’t exist and Elementalists don’t get anything with HoT. That’s hardly reason to stop playing, even after the elite Specs appear, Eles will be at one the best places in the game. Tempest was obviously going to be lacking a bit, because honestly would you really want Tempest to provide more damage than Staff in PVE or more survivability than D/D in PVP? That would be completely overpowered.

When Dragonhunter and Tempest were revealed I thought they were lacking compared to the others because Guardian and Elementalist are in a great position on all game modes, while Necromancer and Mesmer are a bit lacking. But then I can’t explain why one of the most played, most valuable and most powerful professions in the game also got a very interesting, unique and powerful elite spec (Warrior).

Morfedel.4165

This isn’t even the worst reason I’ve seen. I had a friend quit because they’re adding raids. Not because of the content, but literally because of the name “raids” on account of the term being “nonsensical.”

Lol wow that’s strange lol

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

Tempest is really in a bad state right now but it’s probably not too late for them to fix it.

There has to be a director at Anet making a judgment call on the quality of these elite profession. Right now they range from amazing (Chronomancer-Berserker) to very good (Reaper) to good (Dragon Hunter) to terrible (Tempest).

Wait you are saying DH is good? Traps are good? be realistic man. Warrior got new type of skills….Ele’s are most powerful class right now and they deserve to get tempest. But traps are just horrible (be happy you didn’t get guardians spirit weapons…)

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

If there arent drastic changes made to tempest, expect a kittenstorm from the ele forums

Tempest is 100% better than Dragonhunter: Proof

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Wait you are saying DH is good? Traps are good? be realistic man. Warrior got new type of skills….Ele’s are most powerful class right now and they deserve to get tempest. But traps are just horrible (be happy you didn’t get guardians spirit weapons…)

Who cares what state the ele is in at the moment. People are paying 50 bucks for an expansion and they don’t expect their elite profession to be as terrible as Tempest for that price Balance issues are just that, balance issues, they have nothing to do with content. Anyway, people thinking the ele is the best at everything clearly haven’t seen mesmers on the competitive field recently. They are wrecking everyone with both condi and power builds.

And yeah, DH is good, or average if you prefer. It’s certainly no disaster like Tempest.

Tempest is the same with lightning orb in stairs or any terrain with slope. These are bugs.

(edited by Xillllix.3485)

Posted by: SkiTz.4590

SkiTz.4590

How is that proof. All this showed me was longbow arrow hitboxis bugged… Whats that got anything to do with the spec

Posted by: Sicarius.4639

Sicarius.4639

What do you get someone that has everything…?

Posted by: Fox.3469

Fox.3469

How is that proof. All this showed me was longbow arrow hitboxis bugged… Whats that got anything to do with the spec

He’s obviously joking…

If you are looking for a cozy mature Dutch guild (EU) let me know.

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

It’s not a bug, it’s a feature.

See: Guardian scepter.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

Posted by: Lunar Sunset.8742

Lunar Sunset.8742

It’s really rough maining an ele these days. They aren’t viable in any game mode! WvW, sPvP, and PvE, eles just have no place in any of them.

Sunset
50/50 GWAMM x3
I quit how I want

Posted by: BIGHARSHNESS.3510

BIGHARSHNESS.3510

So the OP shelved the game because of a reflect skill another class is getting? Seems legit.

Kaleban.9834

Funny.

Obviously, most of the “don’t let the door hit you on the way out” crowd couldn’t be bothered to read.

I’m also quite obviously not saying that this one skill is the whole reason, but it IS the final nail in the coffin. It showcases a lack of consistency and planning. The icing on the cake of disillusionment.

Heck, has it occurred to no one that the Elite torch is named after RODGORT, yet Elementalists cannot use it?

As I laid out in my OP, I’m not asking ANet to cater to me specifically, simply that their current and ongoing direction does not fill me with a desire to play, and not just my Ele, but any of my characters.

What ANet does with information like that is of course up to them. I may continue to play or I might not, all I was doing was pointing out how ridiculous the Berserker is relative to the Tempest (not in power, but in concept and design), and that it does not fill me with hope for the future of the game.

Posted by: Lunar Sunset.8742

Lunar Sunset.8742

Oh, we read…we just don’t care.

Sunset
50/50 GWAMM x3
I quit how I want

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

But you can’t expect them to get it perfect on the first time. Practice makes perfect :P

Just a flesh wound.3589

Oh, we read…we just don’t care.

^

Pretty much. Declaring he is shelving Guild Wars 2 because of a beta profession that hasn’t even come out yet and for all he knows is easily countered by his profession, is a silly reason.

Reading his post reminded me irresistibly of…..

Attachments:

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

Honestly, it’s not really a big issues. These are nothing more than the first generation of elite specs. There will be others, and those others will likely fit the theme that some players want for their class. Can’t please everyone.

I for one am looking forward to the Herald more than any other elite specialization, and I’m surprised at the lack of hype surrounding it. It’s way cooler than the Chronomancer and more useful than the Reaper.

Eh, for someone whose played ele since launch, and therefore has been subject to ‘go arcane/water and swap like a mad man’, or be completely ineffective in every game mode, and has seen, absolutely NO effort on part of the developers to fix it, other people getting what would help us a lot is kind of a big deal. It shows they are not even worried about making our class thematically or mechanically fulfilling even in this expansion, that they are willing to put in the effort for some classes, but not willing to put in the effort for others, specifically the elementalist.

But as for crying ’I’m leaving’ and stomping off like a child that didn’t get the toy he wanted instead of giving constructive feedback; bye, the game won’t be missing anything without you that it wasn’t missing before.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Posted by: vanderwolf.7084

vanderwolf.7084

Boo hoo. I’m mad about losing clonedeath traits and “confusion on crit” traits on my mesmer.

and I also want wings of the sunless to make a return.

but we don’t always get the nice OP shinies that we want.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

It’s really rough maining an ele these days. They aren’t viable in any game mode! WvW, sPvP, and PvE, eles just have no place in any of them.

Best post in the thread. lol

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

The main problem I see with the Elite specs is that there’s one per class, for the foreseeable future. If you’ve been waiting for a long time (as much as three years, for some) for something new for your favorite profession, then the fact that the new option does not appeal could be a blow.

Yes, yes, patience and all that other good stuff. However, it’s taken three years for one new option per profession, and the gag policy means we’re completely in the dark about when the next option might roll along. The situation just feels like more of the same from Anet to me, and I’m not sure I care, but I can see it bothering some people.

Posted by: Mo Mo.1947

Mo Mo.1947

Yeah if OP thinks the Tempest isn’t cool they can always not use that spec and keep playing ele the way they like and maybe try a warrior since they’re obviously loving on that Berserker.

Pandaman.4758

Funny.

Obviously, most of the “don’t let the door hit you on the way out” crowd couldn’t be bothered to read.

I’m also quite obviously not saying that this one skill is the whole reason, but it IS the final nail in the coffin. It showcases a lack of consistency and planning. The icing on the cake of disillusionment.

Heck, has it occurred to no one that the Elite torch is named after RODGORT, yet Elementalists cannot use it?

As I laid out in my OP, I’m not asking ANet to cater to me specifically, simply that their current and ongoing direction does not fill me with a desire to play, and not just my Ele, but any of my characters.

What ANet does with information like that is of course up to them. I may continue to play or I might not, all I was doing was pointing out how ridiculous the Berserker is relative to the Tempest (not in power, but in concept and design), and that it does not fill me with hope for the future of the game.

If you simply said “I don’t agree with these aesthetic decisions, here are some reasons why” (liking Air Bender is not a valid reason, by the by), then people would take your post more seriously and be willing to have a discussion with you.

But you didn’t. Instead you went “I don’t agree with these aesthetic decisions, it must be because ANet is incompetent, if you don’t listen to me I might leave”. It doesn’t matter if you claim it’s not a “listen to me or I leave” post if you follow it up with “listen to me or I might leave.”

Posted by: amplitudelol.1409

amplitudelol.1409

…An easy conceptual idea for Eles are the Benders from Avatar…

What? I want my engineer to look more like Shepard from Mass Effect but i wont quit because they wont add space guns in the expansion. Lol. This is Guild Wars and eles have nothing to do with that silly cartoon. Did you know you could have everything in one build?… You have no idea how annoying and overwhelmingly frustrating can be a skilled ele in teamfights and wvw. And it can stack might for you in dungeons – since thats the only thing that matters beside good aoe capability there but thats another story.

Posted by: kta.6502

kta.6502

Many people have leveled multiple characters and maxed out content. Those doing RP are working on or finishing up their Pre-HoT storylines. It’s understandable that people are burned out. In WoW, this is called “pre-expansion blues”. This is a great time to take a break. Try out another MMO while you wait for HoT. You might change your mind about Tempest after you return from break.

Kaleban.9834

Many people have leveled multiple characters and maxed out content. Those doing RP are working on or finishing up their Pre-HoT storylines. It’s understandable that people are burned out. In WoW, this is called “pre-expansion blues”. This is a great time to take a break. Try out another MMO while you wait for HoT. You might change your mind about Tempest after you return from break.

Oh, that’s not really the issue, I have other stuff “in the pipe” as it were so I’m not suffering from burnout as such.

My whole point, which many seemed to have missed, is the lack of a conceptual thread that ties professions and the new specs together.

No, I don’t want Engineers to say “This is my favorite crafting station in Lion’s Arch…” nor do I actually want Eles to play like benders. One skill being introduced did not cause me to abandon the game wholesale. As I’ve said three times now.

What I am pointing out is the lack of coherent design, the hodge podge of ideas, and the lackluster implementation. Will ANet tie it all together for an awesome expansion? Possibly, but history has shown otherwise.

And the end result is people, including myself, being less motivated to play. Contrary to some claims, I am not screaming to “make it my way or its the highway” I am in fact relating my feedback as to how the game’s tone makes me less inclined to play is all.

You’d THINK ANet setup forums such as this for constructive feedback regarding their game, and currently in-beta x-pack, but I guess according to the respondents ANet can’t handle criticism of any sort.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Oh, that’s not really the issue, I have other stuff “in the pipe” as it were so I’m not suffering from burnout as such.

My whole point, which many seemed to have missed, is the lack of a conceptual thread that ties professions and the new specs together.

No, I don’t want Engineers to say “This is my favorite crafting station in Lion’s Arch…” nor do I actually want Eles to play like benders. One skill being introduced did not cause me to abandon the game wholesale. As I’ve said three times now.

What I am pointing out is the lack of coherent design, the hodge podge of ideas, and the lackluster implementation. Will ANet tie it all together for an awesome expansion? Possibly, but history has shown otherwise.

And the end result is people, including myself, being less motivated to play. Contrary to some claims, I am not screaming to “make it my way or its the highway” I am in fact relating my feedback as to how the game’s tone makes me less inclined to play is all.

You’d THINK ANet setup forums such as this for constructive feedback regarding their game, and currently in-beta x-pack, but I guess according to the respondents ANet can’t handle criticism of any sort.

What sort of responses did you expect when your thread title is “Shattering Blows caused me to shelve Guild Wars 2”? The words "to shelve’ does not mean, less inclined to play. It means to stop doing something. To put it to one side and discontinue. You can’t have a title that says you’re going to stop playing the game because of one skill and one skill only, that isn’t even out of beta yet, and not expect that to be commented upon. If you want realistic responses, don’t give an unrealistic first impression with an inaccurate, poorly worded thread title. If you made the title just for click bait and didn’t mean it, well you have only yourself to blame for making click bait that gets an immediate response.

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Maethor.2810

Maethor.2810

Here I have friends that main Elementalists and they loved the Tempest when they got the chance to play it in the last beta and are looking forward to what the result will be when HoT launches…

Can’t please everyone.

~Signe Grimsdottir | Wynne Everheart | Magiere Massing~
The Archivist’s Sanctum [Lore] – Just Us Grown-Ups [JUGS]

Posted by: uhohhotdog.3598

uhohhotdog.3598

Stop expecting so much. It’s a game. Just have fun. If you’re not having fun go play something else and come back when you feel like it. There’s no monthly fee. You’re not married to the game.

Pandaman.4758

Many missed your point because you didn’t make it. It’s shocking, I know, but we can’t read your mind, so we’re not going to understand what you mean when you fail to make any mention wanting a lore explanation for why the professions are getting their elite specs.

On the bright side we’re finally getting somewhere, because now we know what you’re talking about when you talk about coherence. Up until now you mangled your own point by first bringing up Elementalist Air Bender concept, then seemingly claiming the design isn’t coherent because it doesn’t match your concept.

[…]

Look, those two paragraphs pretty much highlight everything that’s been wrong with your posts: you make generalized claims without providing any details (so there’s absolutely nothing constructive about the criticism), then you can’t seem to resist taking a potshot at ANet’s competence (they can’t deliver, they can’t take criticism), despite claiming you’re not kittened at them.

Do yourself a favor and leave out the personal commentary if you want to provide good feedback.

(edited by Pandaman.4758)

Posted by: Avster.1935

Avster.1935

Lol OP is so melodramatic. If that’s what takes you to leave the game, then as Fox said. See ya!

Evelyn Whitehawk | Exalted Legend | Demons’s Demise | I Transmuted My Legendary Medium Coat

Posted by: PsychoHD.1695

PsychoHD.1695

This got a mega laugh out of me +1

Posted by: Kidel.2057

Kidel.2057

Are you really crying because they didn’t make your class the same as a similar thing in another franchise? What do you want next? Bloodbending? Sandbending? Metalbending?

Avatar is cool, but GW2 is not Avatar. Elementalists are mages, not martial artists (yet). It would be pretty strange to see them punch a rock.