Shattering Blow Caused Me to Shelve GW2

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Kidel.2057

Kidel.2057

Are you really crying because they didn’t make your class the same as a similar thing in another franchise? What do you want next? Bloodbending? Sandbending? Metalbending?

Avatar is cool, but GW2 is not Avatar. Elementalists are mages, not martial artists (yet). It would be pretty strange to see them punch a rock.

Forum page bug.

Posted by: Kaleban.9834

Kaleban.9834

Many missed your point because you didn’t make it. It’s shocking, I know, but we can’t read your mind, so we’re not going to understand what you mean when you fail to make any mention wanting a lore explanation for why the professions are getting their elite specs.

On the bright side we’re finally getting somewhere, because now we know what you’re talking about when you talk about coherence. Up until now you mangled your own point by first bringing up Elementalist Air Bender concept, then seemingly claiming the design isn’t coherent because it doesn’t match your concept.

Look, those two paragraphs pretty much highlight everything that’s been wrong with your posts: you make generalized claims without providing any details (so there’s absolutely nothing constructive about the criticism), then you can’t seem to resist taking a potshot at ANet’s competence (they can’t deliver, they can’t take criticism), despite claiming you’re not kittened at them.

Do yourself a favor and leave out the personal commentary if you want to provide good feedback.

Do yourself a favor and stop playing forum cop. There are mods for that after all.

I didn’t ask anyone to read my mind, you and others failed to grasp the simple point because you didn’t bother to read, which is OBVIOUS by your inability to grasp what is being said.

I never once said I wanted a lore explanation for elite specs. Not Once.

What I mentioned, by way of the Bender concept, and comparing the design of the Berserker to that of the Tempest, is that ANet doesn’t have a coherent design system. I.E. non-magical warriors summoning rocks, Torch slams causing earth ripples etc.

All of which would make much more sense on an Ele. Quite simple, but in the rush to be first to defend ANet while simultaneously being a smart alec, most of you missed this obvious issue.

As for my statement regarding the forums being designed for criticism, that wasn’t a critique of ANet’s policy, that was a condemnation of the various forum warriors taking it upon themselves to defend ANet from said criticism. Despite it kind of being the whole point for having forums and feedback in the first place. Doubly so when you consider the x-pack currently in development and ongoing betas.

But as its been shown that most of you don’t read before commenting, the tl;dr version is thus:

One skill isn’t making me actually leave the game entirely, what the skill represents when taken against the backdrop of ALL the design decisions is making me question the future of the game and reducing my desire to play. As I am not alone in this sentiment, ANet may wish to consider this feedback in light of the competition that is out there.

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

What I mentioned, by way of the Bender concept, and comparing the design of the Berserker to that of the Tempest, is that ANet doesn’t have a coherent design system. I.E. non-magical warriors summoning rocks, Torch slams causing earth ripples etc.

Them non-magical Warriors aren’t ‘summoning’ rocks in the way you’re implying though.

They’re using brute force to create them – the Torch skill 4 being conceptually similar to Mace skill 5, except hitting the ground so hard it causes the ground to fracture, and causing a rock to jut out by stomping before punching it – thus it fits in with the theme of the spec; brute force.

Just like how conceptually the Tempest fits thematically in with the Elementalist (which had attunements in the first game in case you weren’t aware).

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

(edited by TheDaiBish.9735)

Posted by: Kaleban.9834

Kaleban.9834

Them non-magical Warriors aren’t ‘summoning’ rocks in the way you’re implying though.

They’re using brute force to create them – the Torch skill 4 being conceptually similar to Mace skill 5, except hitting the ground so hard it causes the ground to fracture, and causing a rock to jut out by stomping before punching it – thus it fits in with the theme of the spec; brute force.

Just like how conceptually the Tempest fits thematically in with the Elementalist (which had attunements in the first game in case you weren’t aware).

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Shattering_Blow

“Summon a rock in front of you”

Unless Berserkers are Captain Falcon, they’re not punching hard enough with a Torch to create shock waves.

Physics, in case you weren’t aware. Also, based on what you just described, that PERFECTLY fits Earth bending, not exactly a Guts/Berserk style move is it?

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Shattering_Blow

1. “Summon a rock in front of you”

2. Unless Berserkers are Captain Falcon, they’re not punching hard enough with a Torch to create shock waves.

3. Physics, in case you weren’t aware.

4. Also, based on what you just described, that PERFECTLY fits Earth bending, not exactly a Guts/Berserk style move is it?

1. I’ll give you that one then, though that could easily be changed to fit the theme more.

2. Regular Warriors are strong enough to create tremors by hitting the ground (mace 5), crack the earth around them (Hammer Burst), send people flying with a shockwave created from a stomp (Stomp) and go on a Rampage, punching people and throwing rocks. Is it really that far out of the realm of possibility for you that Berserkers are a lot stronger than regular Warriors physically because of their ‘no kittens given’ approach to fights and so can manage these feats?

3. Also, I’m aware of physics. I just don’t see what they have to do with this topic since we’re talking about a game where physics are ignored on a regular basis anyway.

4. Guts and Berserk is one portrayal of what a Berserker is; it’s not a standard that has to be adhered to. Also, Bending is more based around kata and rather than traditional magic. To suddenly see an Elementalist start doing kata to manipulate elements it’s already able to would be jarring to say the least.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

(edited by TheDaiBish.9735)

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

Do yourself a favor and stop playing forum cop. There are mods for that after all.

No, it’s not the moderator’s job to point out you’re not making sense. They ignore you when you don’t make sense and close your thread if you get toxic. I’m not doing either, I’m pointing out the flaws in your argument, that’s more like an editor.

You can either take my criticism of your complaint and use it to improve your argument, or you can do what you’re doing now and…

I didn’t ask anyone to read my mind, you and others failed to grasp the simple point because you didn’t bother to read, which is OBVIOUS by your inability to grasp what is being said.

… charge on ahead in blind ignorance, blaming everyone else for failing to understand the point you didn’t make. Before demanding everyone to learn to read, how about you learn to write first?

Your argument is only obvious in your own mind, if you don’t explain your argument clear then you are asking people to read your mind.

I never once said I wanted a lore explanation for elite specs. Not Once.

Here’s where the impression you were talking about lore came from:

“My whole point, which many seemed to have missed, is the lack of a conceptual thread that ties professions and the new specs together.”

That could either refer to a thematic disconnect between profession and specialization, or it could refer to how elite specializations seem to come out of nowhere lore-wise. If you don’t establish you’re talking about the former, anyone who doesn’t think there’s a thematic disconnect would default to the latter.

All of which would make much more sense on an Ele. Quite simple, but in the rush to be first to defend ANet while simultaneously being a smart alec, most of you missed this obvious issue.

Aha, actual meat to your argument! Hallelujah! There is hope after all!

Torch Slam is consistent with warrior base skills because they already had access to shockwave though Hammer Shock, Stomp, and Seismic Leap. That just makes it a bad example of the “lack of coherent design” as the common theme between Torch Slam and Shattering Blow is… they punch the ground (the former horizontally while the latter vertically), which is also thematically appropriate for warriors.

You should have referred to Flaming Flurry as your second example instead, because even without having to explain yourself practically everyone recognizes flinging fireballs with a sword is not very Warrior-like at all; that would naturally lead to people focusing more on the summoning aspect of Shattering Blow rather than the physical aspect.

Your criticism is that warriors are summoning stuff, to make it constructive you have to suggest something more substantial that “eles should have it, ANet is incompetent”; there are other threads that have already suggested the skill should have an animation of pulling the rock from the ground or using a stomp to kick up a slab of rock instead of summoning, which is a relatively simple fix to make it thematically appropriate.

There isn’t really anything that can be done about Warriors slinging fireballs with swords though.

As for my statement regarding the forums being designed for criticism, that wasn’t a critique of ANet’s policy, that was a condemnation of the various forum warriors taking it upon themselves to defend ANet from said criticism. Despite it kind of being the whole point for having forums and feedback in the first place. Doubly so when you consider the x-pack currently in development and ongoing betas.

There’s a difference between defending ANet and pointing out you’re not making sense.

(edited by Pandaman.4758)

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

What I wanted for tempest is to use a main hand sword. What better for her to use than a firey dragon sword for their new weapon? Anything is better than a stupid warhorn off hand with 2 skills per element. Also there is no elemental-based warhorn skins.

I wish we got what was datamined for ele and got a sword. I know I’m not going to use the new elite specialization either .

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

Posted by: FrostSpectre.4198

FrostSpectre.4198

I would shelve GW2, only after HoT is completed and officially released, IF:

the new mobs are downgraded into same as vanilla map mobs (risen, bandits, wild animals, dungeon mobs and etc. which have poor abilities that deal very minimal damage, are extremely vulnerable to full berserker DPS builds, no full condition mob, no boons used by mobs and are easily dealt with just “stand-spam crit direct dmg-rely on passive defense”), then I would shelve GW2 and propably never come back.

I’m a casual PvE adventurer, I enjoy combat, adventure and helping, but not farming.
I rarely do PvP or Hard PvE, unless it’s organized.

Posted by: smekras.8203

smekras.8203

Not really adding much to the thread I suppose, but I have a question…

Don’t all* professions use magic in some shape or form? It’s just that, till now, Warriors simply used magic in a more physical/primal manner.

• Ok, not sure about Engineers using magic, unless they are asura (magitech is still magic after all).
Server: Kaineng | Guild: Blackflame Legion [BFL]
Perhaps the only RP-oriented guild on the server
Main Character: Farathnor (sylvari ranger) 1 of 22

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

I love the people that think come HoT that all current classes are forced into these Elite specs. Your character will not change unless you want it to. If you don’t like Tempest, then don’t slot that specialization. If you only like some of the abilities of Tempest, then slot it during specific situations when that could be useful. Other than that, continue to play as normal.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: EsarioOne.9840

EsarioOne.9840

I mean, how else to explain the Berserker and probable upcoming Ninja/Daredevil on Thief, and then compare it to the Tempest and Dragonhunter?

I’m with the OP here, DH and Tempest look like specs that should’ve been thrown into the trash when compared to the real specs (reaper/zerker/daredevil).