Shooting Gallery Adventure

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Chich.1428

Chich.1428

Dear Anet, I want talk a little bit about this specific adventure.

I don’t consider my self a pro, but I am far from ,,noob,, .
I enjoy adventures really much, and of course adventures should not be all the same difficulty, but this Adventure(Shooting Gallery) just goes to extreme. I feel like I am not the only one who thinks this. The dummies (I know they have a fixed spawning place) are really hard to see trough all the plants and clutter. They even maybe have really small hitbox, but hey, practice makes perfect. Or maybe its just the time given to us to complete it. Could you please look into this adventure and maybe change something?

Sincerely,
Chich

Posted by: MisterOiZo.4359

MisterOiZo.4359

Agree with you. I am no stranger to fps games, ( CS/CS-S/CS-GO ) but this adventure is really hard in my opinion, and not hard in a good way, NPC’s walking in front of your targets, aiming is really poor (I have to adjust my mouse speed, acceleration and my in game mouse speed to be able to get a semi fair aiming) the crosshair is a white dot that is too hard to spot on the background and the targets are really small, and often behind all kinds of clutter. Combining this all makes a frustrating experience. I gave it a really good try but I don’t even get to bronze.

Posted by: tobascodagama.2961

tobascodagama.2961

If you haven’t tried this with Action Cam yet, I highly recommend it. It’s much easier to aim and hit the target dummies within the time allotted with Action Cam than with the standard camera.

Amberley Avalen – Charr Mesmer
Tanya Larina – Human Thief
Finchy Whyte – Sylvari Ranger

Posted by: MisterOiZo.4359

MisterOiZo.4359

Yes I use action cam with this adventure it’s an awesome feature!

Posted by: Chich.1428

Chich.1428

Yes, if you didn’t know, starting this adventure makes you enter action camera… So yea ofc I am using action camera… Its just extreme hard to spot where to shoot and the hitbox is too small, and when you decide to run closer you just loose time, even with speed mushrooms.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

There are a few adventures where they’re primarily dependent on RNG. After the first cycle, the targets will begin to skip. What you get can easily make or break your time. Whenever I get the one behind the tree for example, I simply restart since I stay positioned next to the bonfire and don’t move (much). At around 34 points, they begin to spawn faster and faster. By the end, there’ll be like 5 at once. Unfortunately, they don’t seem to check what is already spawned, so one that is already up could respawn. I encountered a bug where I shot it and it respawned at the same time, which bugged it (still a target, but no dummy).

After doing this adventure like 50 times, I finally went with first person camera after being annoyed with getting blinded by grass/etc, I turned off NPC/enemy/player names and zoomed out the minimap a notch to see everything. I also put my mouse in sniper mode for very fine/slow movements. I was consistently reaching 39 points by the time limit. Finally, the RNG gods smiled and at the very end, 4 targets spawned in a line on the back hill. I finished with around 13 seconds left, obtaining the 2nd lifetime rank.

All adventures that involve RNG like this need to be changed. They’re simply not possible to complete if you get a bad hand.

Posted by: Black Box.9312

Black Box.9312

I like the idea behind this adventure, but I strongly disagree with the decision to randomize the targets after the first 20 or so. This requires you to basically get lucky enough to consistently get targets close to your current location to save time.

Posted by: Absconditus.6804

Absconditus.6804

Agreed, not enjoying it. There are bright spots in the location which obscures the targeting reticle, other players obscure the view as they run by, theirs and NPC nameplates are also in the way, the grass gets in the way when you aim up and while the first section is straight forward, when it starts to skip random numbers, it’s really frustrating. I also dislike that it’s a slow-moving (overall) projectile, rather than a shot which is pretty much instant. It doesn’t help that the camera settings are predefined in full within the Adventure, so if you wanted to try start it in first person, nope, the Adventure will pop you right out of that and zoom you out. Annoying to fiddle with when you need to hit 40 within the time limit. 30 was challenging enough.

Vella Absconditus | Human Mesmer
Seafarer’s Rest

Posted by: Nutjob.9021

Nutjob.9021

I’ve noticed that if your aim is perfect and you fire a shot and then attempt to move to the next target before the bullet actually hits, it’s an automatic miss. Presumably the bullet follows the mouse pointer? I don’t know, because I’ve fired a shot I knew was a miss, and moved the mouse pointer on target before the shot hit/missed and it was still a miss.

So, to recap, if your aim is perfect and you move the mouse OFF target after shooting, you miss. If your aim is not perfect, but you move your mouse ON target after pulling the trigger, you still miss. This is an actual bug in my opinion.

I like to do this in first person, but the camera keeps popping out of first person and suddenly bushes BEHIND my toon are in the way of my aim. We’re talking stuff that isn’t actually between the gun and the target. Maybe there is a setting to lock it into first person that I haven’t found yet. I have to keep spinning that mouse zoom wheel every few seconds to stay in first person.

A little helpful hint. You can kill targets as soon as they start to form.

I’m wondering if a taller toon might do better at this because first person would let you see over stuff.

And to repeat what others have said, that tiny white dot is not a good sight. A tiny cross hair would be better, something you can spot instant. One trick used for this purpose in real gun sights is to have the cross hairs thick away from the center and sharpen to points in the middle so you can see your target better, but still see the crosshairs.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

I hate the action cam. I could chew this up if I just had my regular camera back.

Posted by: Ish.2846

Ish.2846

I can’t even see the targets. I’m starting to think something is bugged here because I’m shooting in the exact same spot as everyone else and nothing..

Posted by: Angel de Lyssa.4716

Angel de Lyssa.4716

Minimize as 30/30 would be more just, or add one minute more (3 minute total), it adventure is very hard.

Posted by: Urosh Uchiha.9732

Urosh Uchiha.9732

Not a stranger to FPS games myself but this adventure is super hard, and not in a good way. After a dozen attempts I gave up for now. Hopefully something will change about this.

Posted by: Salvation Wing.7653

Salvation Wing.7653

This adventure is almost 100% RNG past bronze. whether you get 25-30 depends only on how nice the game is with the spawns. And past that I can’t comment on because I simply can’t get past 31 points. It’s not difficult it’s annoying. painfully so. You just need to keep trying until you get the one run that can be beaten and only if you do it perfectly. it’s not fun it’s a pain.

Posted by: Day Trooper.3605

Day Trooper.3605

On the one hand, I really like SG because it’s definitely a challenge and you have to be on top of your game to get gold.

However, there are definitely issues which make this adventure frustrating.

To me, the biggest one by far is how often it’s locked out!

Between the outpost events completing and nightfall starting, it seems SG is only open now around 30 minutes at a time (with like 70-75 minutes until it opens again?), which provides an extremely short window to go for the gold. With this being easily the hardest adventurer in VB, it really needs to be open way more often than that.

Also the camera popping you out of first-person view when SG starts – why? Please keep our current zoom when we activate SG.

And the white-dot sight can easily get lost while frantically trying to find a target – please give us a better sight(s)!

I’ve gotten 38 twice and really want to get 40, but I find myself waiting around way too long for SG to open. And the more peeps leave VB, the longer the SG wait times will increase.

EDIT: Oh, and I almost forgot that many times the ‘Faren-Training’ quest will bug-out on the very last phase where you fight ‘Bongo the One-Eyed.’ When that happens you can’t complete the outpost events and thus SG won’t open qq :/

(edited by Day Trooper.3605)

Posted by: Roguefire.8174

Roguefire.8174

This is really hard… I have yet to get over 26 after more times than I can count… I have gotten gold on every single other adventure so far… but with this one I am having more trouble just getting to silver.

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

It is a horrible adventure. If I wanted to play a fps, I would do so.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Posted by: MindEraser.5739

MindEraser.5739

It seems like there’s RNG for the shooting as well. Shooting straight without moving the mouse the arrows don’t always land in the center. I mean I guess it’s realistic, but it’s also a gigantic pain in the kitten.

By the way, the whole locking of adventures I find is generally stupid, and in the case of this adventure it’s incredibly annoying as well. It wants me to complete the noble outpost at night which is 17,500 game units (lol I don’t know what unit of measurement they use) away. There is literally nothing in the area of the shooting gallery to make a valid excuse for disabling the adventure at night. Just WHY. Can’t even try to play.

salty.

Posted by: oggethecool.3015

oggethecool.3015

Dear Anet, Can you please do so it’s 30 instead of 40, k thx

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

It seems like there’s RNG for the shooting as well.

Shooting has a cast time and it shoots at where you first clicked rather than where your pointer is when it actually fires. Moving during the cast will however adjust your shot based on where it was when you first clicked. For example, if you aim to the left, fire and strafe to the right so that your pointer is over the target during the cast, you will hit it.

Posted by: King Crimson.5419

King Crimson.5419

It’s locked more often than not. It’s interesting really; that there’d be this mini-game that you can almost never play, and that it’d be this face-smashingly difficult. If this were a regular fps game, I’d think nothing of the strict requirements for gold. However, this is GW2, and the shooting mechanics here are not cut out for precision shooting.

Please increase the time allotted to compensate for GW2s nuanced gameplay mechanics

Only 1/330 members in my guild have managed gold in this adventure, it took him 1.5 cumulative hours, and his description of the affair is “Absolutely the worst. I’m never doing it again.” Honestly, the shooting gallery is a great concept for one of these adventures. This one is just a bit too hard for most players. Whether it’s the clunky, sluggish, Frankenstein ability-casting fps mechanic, weird, imprecise camera, random spawning, or just the adventure being locked down most of the time, this particular experience leaves me salty.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Those of us playing from locations like Australia also have an additional handicap thanks to our worse than average ping. I’ve seen some videos where the person going for Gold aims the reticle and then fires off pin-point shots. You can’t do that with ping like mine; skill delays means you’ll waste lots of precious seconds waiting for the gun to charge up (the initial shot takes longer than subsequent shots, for some reason), so I just hold down the left mouse button for autofire. Unfortunately, this tactic means that the shots can sometimes obscure your own reticle and make it difficult to know if your shots are actually on target till you see the confetti explosion.

So yeah, I also would urge ANet to tone down Shooting Gallery (as well as the other RNG-based, very tiny margin of error, adventures like Floor is Lava and Fallen Masks) so there’s more leeway for us players who have to operate with lag, time restrictions due to lock-outs etc. Plus, it’s hard for adventures to be using as bragging fodder when one can argue that you only scored high due to a lucky spawn. Level the playing field, and let the leaderboards themselves be used as the reward for achieving the top score. So maybe at least half the population managed to get Gold (and their AP and Mastery point), but holding a top 5 spot on the leaderboard is still something that’s worth striving for if you’re trying to appeal to the ultra-competitive.

Posted by: xiiliea.9356

xiiliea.9356

I’ve been trying this for the past few days and this is just totally ridiculous. After so many tries the most I could get was up to 28 (I could most definitely get 30 if I tried more). But 40 is just way too ridiculously insane; I’d get sick of the entire game before I achieve that. Anet could fix this challenge by lowering Gold to 30. While players who have already achieved Gold might complain, this can easily be gotten around by leaving no cap for the score, allowing players to go as high as they can (instead of ranking by time completion), so that those players can still be up there in the leaderboards.

A “challenge” should be difficult but at least obtainable.

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

As stated before, any “ranking” in this Adventure is stupid because it’s too random.

One – Piken Square

Day Trooper.3605

If it’s any help, here’s my gold vid:

My Shooting Gallery Gold Vid

Basically, you need to get the first 20 targets (which always spawn in the same place) as fast as absolutely possible.

You’ll notice I hit the 20th target with ~1:13 remaining. That will give you more time to hit the next 20 targets which spawn randomly. By this I mean if you hit the 20th target at like 1:00 left, then it’s probably a safe bet you won’t get gold that run – and you can just reset at that point.

Now it did take me many attempts to get this – so much so that I will probably not do any more challenges until ANet possibly tweaks the gold limits on other hard ones like Falling Masks.

Oh one more thing. Whenever you get to the 40th target, I highly recommend using skill #2 (like I do in my vid) instead of skill #1 as I missed gold the prior night by literally a 1/2 second by missing target 40 with my first skill #1 shot (I hit it the second time, but the timer had just expired argh!)

Posted by: Chuck.8196

Chuck.8196

A BIG tip I found its incredibly easier if you drop your field of view down to almost as low as it will go and reducing your camera rotation speed. It helped alot. Field of View reduction is like looking down a scope.

a·chieve·ment – a thing done successfully, typically by effort, courage, or skill
re·ward – a thing given in recognition of one’s service, effort, or achievement
en·ti·tle·ment – the belief one is inherently deserving of privileges or special treatment

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

Basically, you need to get the first 20 targets (which always spawn in the same place) as fast as absolutely possible.

You’ll notice I hit the 20th target with ~1:13 remaining. That will give you more time to hit the next 20 targets which spawn randomly. By this I mean if you hit the 20th target at like 1:00 left, then it’s probably a safe bet you won’t get gold that run – and you can just reset at that point.

Now it did take me many attempts to get this – so much so that I will probably not do any more challenges until ANet possibly tweaks the gold limits on other hard ones like Falling Masks.

Oh one more thing. Whenever you get to the 40th target, I highly recommend using skill #2 (like I do in my vid) instead of skill #1 as I missed gold the prior night by literally a 1/2 second by missing target 40 with my first skill #1 shot (I hit it the second time, but the timer had just expired argh!)

Wait, how did you get a first-person view? I don’t have action camera keybound yet. When doing this adventure it just dropped me into action camera with my character right in front and in the way so I couldn’t see kitten. I could not zoom in to first-person view even with that checked.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

Day Trooper.3605

Wait, how did you get a first-person view? I don’t have action camera keybound yet. When doing this adventure it just dropped me into action camera with my character right in front and in the way so I couldn’t see kitten. I could not zoom in to first-person view even with that checked.

Each time I started a round, I used my mouse wheel to zoom-in.

Definitely wish I could just stay in first-person the whole time though, but apparently that option isn’t available yet.

Posted by: Marelithene.7063

Marelithene.7063

Hi Chaba.5410,

You can change it to first-person camera in the game setting. It’s in the first tab (General Options) under subheading “Camera.” There should be a box called “Enable First-Person Camera.”

Chaba.5410

Hi Chaba.5410,

You can change it to first-person camera in the game setting. It’s in the first tab (General Options) under subheading “Camera.” There should be a box called “Enable First-Person Camera.”

Huh, for some reason that wasn’t working for me last night.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs

Day Trooper.3605

Hi Chaba.5410,

Huh, for some reason that wasn’t working for me last night.

The first-person option allows you to zoom into first-person (i.e. clicking that option doesn’t put you into first-person until you manually zoom-in).

And unfortunately when the shooting gallery starts, even if you are in first-person zoom, the game resets your camera so that you have to zoom back to first-person.

Chaba.5410

Last night when I went to interact with the banner while zoomed into first-person it told me that the adventure uses action camera. /shrug

Chaba Tangnu

Posted by: Elfo Bianco.3786

Elfo Bianco.3786

I have seen your video, nice one man!!
I can see that for me this adventure is bugged, it should be:
1-20 sequential targets
21-30 random targets
30+ multiple targets

I have reached 34-35, but “the bug” is that at 30 multiple targets don’t appear to me, it happens at 32-33 losing lot of chances to hit the gold reward.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Yeah, that sometimes happens to me too. And I’ve also seen videos where multiple targets start appearing for the shooter even before they hit 30 targets. I was hoping for some balance patching on Shooting Gallery (and some of the other adventures), but no luck yet.

Posted by: Link.6157

Link.6157

What really helps a lot is the huge event chain before it unlocks. And make it even greater, the first 2 event bug 1/2 times, making this even more horrible, just make this adventure independent from this long, buggy and way to hard event chain (legendary mobs …)

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I can’t even see the targets. I’m starting to think something is bugged here because I’m shooting in the exact same spot as everyone else and nothing..

The targets are blue dummies tied to stakes. Sort of like scarecrows. They’re usually below the markers.

Posted by: Hekela.1846

Hekela.1846

Yup, I’m struggling with this right now. The last few times I went to do it, I was the only one doing the chain events before it. So, I finished them with at most 5 minutes to do the challenge each time… I’m really having trouble even getting a chance to try.

Posted by: JediYoda.1275

JediYoda.1275

The camera is too low making hard to see over the grass and other objects, and can’t adjust in options. The adventure is locked way too long with too short of play time along with fast event timers with mobs interfering with players.

“If only ANet had some kind of forum they could use to communicate with us……”
“ANet. They never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity to not mess up.”
Mod “Posts created to cause unrest with unfounded claims are not allowed” lmao

Posted by: Shikigami.4013

Shikigami.4013

It is rare for me to find something in GW2 that really is “hard to do”, and I welcome those things. However:

It is even more rare to find something that I consider “too hard to do”.
The shooting gallery is one of the things which I consider absolutely too hard and I dont see me being able to get gold in this ever, even with a lot of practice. I know plenty of people who are unable to reach silver even after putting in effort to practice.

Youtube “L2villagejester”.
People using belittling wording like whining/qqing" are not taken seriously by me
Same for people posting only to tell others not to post (“deal with it”-posts)

Posted by: Otaur.9268

Otaur.9268

The action cam in this adventure is in the wrong position… On my human ranger it places the cursor in middle of my player instead of the normal position (No matter what camera settings I have)

Blackfang’s Demon Alliance [BfDA]

Posted by: Bezayne.6459

Bezayne.6459

After reading this, I was at least able to see the targeting “dot”. I still fail to see a single target, after trying this a couple of times now.

Posted by: Lee.8761

Lee.8761

I finally tried playing this mini-game after hearing how bad it is and I wanted to share my viewpoints on it. The NPCs and/or grass is almost always in the way and makes it that much more difficult to target with the tiny dot. There is very little time to try because nightfall sets in and then you are attacked by Mordrem when you think you might finally hit silver! I also have very bad eyesight and I have no idea how I am supposed to get 40 points let alone 30! I have to say this is my only complaint that I have ever made on here and this flawed mini-game should be revised!

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I finally tried playing this mini-game after hearing how bad it is and I wanted to share my viewpoints on it. The NPCs and/or grass is almost always in the way and makes it that much more difficult to target with the tiny dot. There is very little time to try because nightfall sets in and then you are attacked by Mordrem when you think you might finally hit silver! I also have very bad eyesight and I have no idea how I am supposed to get 40 points let alone 30! I have to say this is my only complaint that I have ever made on here and this flawed mini-game should be revised!

Are you doing it because you need it for something other than mastery point? If it is just mastery points there are other easier things to do.

Posted by: Lee.8761

Lee.8761

Are you doing it because you need it for something other than mastery point? If it is just mastery points there are other easier things to do.

No, it’s the only achievement I have left in VB and I want to complete it. Very irritating. Thanks for the reply though