Should I purchase HOT or wait?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Keveron.3574

Keveron.3574

My question is:
I just started playing again… no real interest in the reaver class at this time. Is it worth getting the expansion? Or is it 100% dedicated to end game? Meaning…. should I wait to purchase once I get to level 80?
Thanks

Posted by: Chasind.3128

Chasind.3128

You should wait, RNG is terrible, masteries/hero points are too difficult to get
and most events are bugged and the grind is immense

Posted by: Unloveableone.6082

Unloveableone.6082

Buy it. It’s amazing man.
The only people complaining are the same ones that whine about everything else or the ones that want to faceroll absolutely everything like always. It’s challenging and refreshing and adds soooo much to the game.

Posted by: Brimstar.9036

Brimstar.9036

The grind isn’t immense, its relatively easy to attain this. Masteries are account bound, so all your characters (very alt friendly) and its rewarding after getting them. Its only been 2 days and Im already 6 points in with gliding, mushroom jumping, itzel lore, etc and 70% of my elite spec already done with 80% Verdant Brink map completion. The meta events are extremely engaging if you push them to the limit of the whole map meta (get with parties/guilds/coordinated people) The RNG isn’t terrible as there’s for sure ways to get thing with map currencies. So far, I’ve run into no bugged events.

Posted by: Kravick.4906

Kravick.4906

I would have to say no, do not buy it. The content is very sparse, and locked behind a grind to make it feel like theres more to it than there really is. All in all, I’d say its about one living story episode, maybe two, worth of actual content. Rest is you trying to figure out where to go, then finding out you can’t actually go there until you unlock some useless mastery that requires several million exp to get. you’re basically left grinding the same 2-3 events over and over and over again to get any where.

Stuff goes here.

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

You should wait, RNG is terrible, masteries/hero points are too difficult to get
and most events are bugged and the grind is immense

I honestly haven’t encountered a lot of bugs. In fact it’s been extremely stable so far (well by the standard of MMO launches).
The grind however… not sure if that will change anytime soon. I guess ANet will give it a few weeks, allowing players to get use to the new content and then see if they still feel that it is a massive grind or not (possibly players including myself might simply not be use to the new content and thus mis-perceive it as grindy… somehow).

All in all, I’d say its about one living story episode, maybe two, worth of actual content.

Ok that’s not true at all. I think you’ve either not played enough or somehow overestimate just how much content was in a living story. I’m not done yet and I can already say there’s at least as much content as in S2.

Kravick.4906

Ok that’s not true at all. I think you’ve either not played enough or somehow overestimate just how much content was in a living story. I’m not done yet and I can already say there’s at least as much content as in S2.

Well I disagree entirely, and found what was actually there to be quite lacking. Most of the maps are empty of anything actually meaningful. No heart quests, no exploration achievements. You’re guided to where you are by little green dots, and very few of that map space is actually used for anything beyond that. I’ve just found a whole lot of nothing. Yes, NPC enemies and stuff are there, but to what point? Without a reason to be there, its just like Orr. When was the last time you went to Orr for anything other than the Temple events?

Most of the hero points are blocked by useless gating, so even if you do get there, you can’t get them. Just very, very poorly designed.

Stuff goes here.

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Well I disagree entirely, and found what was actually there to be quite lacking. Most of the maps are empty of anything actually meaningful. No heart quests, no exploration achievements. You’re guided to where you are by little green dots, and very few of that map space is actually used for anything beyond that. I’ve just found a whole lot of nothing. Yes, NPC enemies and stuff are there, but to what point? Without a reason to be there, its just like Orr. When was the last time you went to Orr for anything other than the Temple events?

Most of the hero points are blocked by useless gating, so even if you do get there, you can’t get them. Just very, very poorly designed.

No most hero points can be accessed with basic masteries. But I guess that’s technically a gate so granted.
As for the empty maps. Well you see they changed how the events work. There isn’t just a bunch of random events scattered about, rather there are events chains, they start at the outposts and then take you through the maps. So most of the map is used as part of the event chain but if you don’t push the events chain then some areas will not have events, unlike other maps that have events scattered all over that fire on a timer with only a few event chains. I can understand how it appears that nothing is going on if you just randomly run around, but that’s not actually true.
As for the green dots, those are for story missions right? So far I’ve been through at least 2-3 personal stories worthy of story content (just completed Rata Novus) and I’m not done yet. Quality is a bit here and there. I liked the part where you need to flee from monster version of PERSON NOT INCLUDED FOR SPOILER REASON with the ITEM NOT INCLUDED FORE SPOILER REASON, but many of them do come down to the same sort of content we’re playing outside of the story mission (i.e. kill a lot of things). But my perception regarding variety of content doesn’t change that there is content.

Posted by: Unloveableone.6082

Unloveableone.6082

Full of kitten

OP do not listen to this guy. Both of his posts are pretty misleading.

Posted by: nightwulf.1986

nightwulf.1986

GW2 was originally intended to not have hearts at all, but they figured people like you needed direction early on. That’s why Orr has no hearts. They figured by level 80 you wouldn’t need to be told where to go. You experience the story through exploration (for which there are some achievements in VB), which Verdant Brink and the rest are brimming with.

What I’m hearing is you expected more content direction like the lower levels and didn’t get it so it’s bad design. I can only disagree. Some counter points to consider. The “useless gating” referenced is what made games like metroid popular in design and gave depth to replaying a single map. So there is merit to the design. Anet (and players) wanted horizontal progression which means players will experience some degree of delayed gratification in achieving their goals. Anet might fine tune it later on, totally possible, but expecting most progression features given right away at launch was only ever wishful thinking.

Kravick.4906

Full of kitten

OP do not listen to this guy. Both of his posts are pretty misleading.

How are they misleading? This is exactly what I’ve experienced.

Stuff goes here.

Kravick.4906

GW2 was originally intended to not have hearts at all, but they figured people like you needed direction early on. That’s why Orr has no hearts. They figured by level 80 you wouldn’t need to be told where to go. You experience the story through exploration (for which there are some achievements in VB), which Verdant Brink and the rest are brimming with.

What I’m hearing is you expected more content direction like the lower levels and didn’t get it so it’s bad design. I can only disagree. Some counter points to consider. The “useless gating” referenced is what made games like metroid popular in design and gave depth to replaying a single map. So there is merit to the design. Anet (and players) wanted horizontal progression which means players will experience some degree of delayed gratification in achieving their goals. Anet might fine tune it later on, totally possible, but expecting most progression features given right away at launch was only ever wishful thinking.

Without heart quests, this game would have died a very quick death. Games often need direction, unless your game is a sand box like Minecraft, in which case the game gives you enough tools and goals inherent within its design to dictate what that direction is without the need of a guide. GW2 is a TERRIBLE sandbox, and its not even marketed as one. Think about it. If you took all the heart quests out of the game, what would you do? Where would you go? How would you level? Stand in one place grinding the same NPCs/events over and over to get any where? Yep, which is precisely why there are so many complaints about HoT right now. They did exactly that.

Case in point, Orr. No one goes there to do anything except farm the temple events, or to do the jumping puzzles for the first time, which are located in very small corners of the map. The rest of the areas on the maps are pointless, and no one ever goes there save for these two reasons. Well, that and story mode stuff I suppose. Yeah, that too I guess, but even then the story modes still occupy even a fraction of the maps actual space.

The vast majority of the expansion maps are meaningless because people are being corralled into one or two specific locations where the events are just to grind in order to progress.

Stuff goes here.

(edited by Kravick.4906)

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

only if you enjoy grind wars 2

Posted by: Raire.7983

Raire.7983

My question is:
I just started playing again… no real interest in the reaver class at this time. Is it worth getting the expansion? Or is it 100% dedicated to end game? Meaning…. should I wait to purchase once I get to level 80?
Thanks

If you’re not level 80, then wait. There’s nothing in it for lower levels and it’s not like you benefit from buying a product immediately after launch.

Posted by: GreyCat.5823

GreyCat.5823

Bought it twice on two accounts and now i think i should have wait and not preorder it.

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

Bought it twice on two accounts and now i think i should have wait and not preorder it.

Preordering games is never worth it, period.

Posted by: Xytor.1267

Xytor.1267

Without heart quests, this game would have died a very quick death. Games often need direction, unless your game is a sand box like Minecraft, in which case the game gives you enough tools and goals inherent within its design to dictate what that direction is without the need of a guide. GW2 is a TERRIBLE sandbox, and its not even marketed as one. Think about it. If you took all the heart quests out of the game, what would you do? Where would you go? How would you level? Stand in one place grinding the same NPCs/events over and over to get any where? Yep, which is precisely why there are so many complaints about HoT right now. They did exactly that.

Case in point, Orr. No one goes there to do anything except farm the temple events, or to do the jumping puzzles for the first time, which are located in very small corners of the map. The rest of the areas on the maps are pointless, and no one ever goes there save for these two reasons. Well, that and story mode stuff I suppose. Yeah, that too I guess, but even then the story modes still occupy even a fraction of the maps actual space.

The vast majority of the expansion maps are meaningless because people are being corralled into one or two specific locations where the events are just to grind in order to progress.

Your logic is based on the idea that if there were no hearts, there wouldn’t be anything else in their place. The only thing hearts did for the player besides karma and map completion was add a few armor and weapon skins, and recipes to the game.

Guess what – meta events give karma. Participating in said events gives you % completion rewards and currency for that zone. New vendors give recipes and weapon/armor skins (and more) once the mastery for access is unlocked.

So to my understanding, there is plenty of direction and different forms of progression depending on what you want to do. I’d be lying if I said it wasn’t still theme park, but the expansion sure has a lot more to offer than what hearts offered back in the day and now. Your whole ‘no hearts no direction’ argument really falls apart here. Find a different reason why you have a problem with the expansion, because this is bogus.

Posted by: Ihrga.8325

Ihrga.8325

NO. Do not buy it. Level up, play for some time. Get back to your senses so to speak, do some World Boss run with sites like Dragon Temple, check dungeaons, listen to several chuncks of the booooring main story and then – decide.

For one thing worth was my pre-order – to let others of my friends know that HoT is not worth it. We shall see in the future how things come, but after 3 years this expac looks like a joke.

Be Polite. Be Efficient. Have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Posted by: ZeftheWicked.3076

ZeftheWicked.3076

If you’re unsure, wait. There’s still the huge matter of “how much content is in there really?”. Give it a few days, let early birds bring in news about how big it actuallly is.

Then you may make your call. Or a-net might do a price drop if it turns out HoT is not half as big as we suspected.

Kravick.4906

Your logic is based on the idea that if there were no hearts, there wouldn’t be anything else in their place. The only thing hearts did for the player besides karma and map completion was add a few armor and weapon skins, and recipes to the game.

Guess what – meta events give karma. Participating in said events gives you % completion rewards and currency for that zone. New vendors give recipes and weapon/armor skins (and more) once the mastery for access is unlocked.

So to my understanding, there is plenty of direction and different forms of progression depending on what you want to do. I’d be lying if I said it wasn’t still theme park, but the expansion sure has a lot more to offer than what hearts offered back in the day and now. Your whole ‘no hearts no direction’ argument really falls apart here. Find a different reason why you have a problem with the expansion, because this is bogus.

No, and even by your own admission, heart quests were added to give players the ability to actually progress. Otherwise people would be stuck grinding the same two events over and over, which is what people are saying they do not want to do.

Stuff goes here.

Posted by: warbignime.4610

warbignime.4610

No, and even by your own admission, heart quests were added to give players the ability to actually progress. Otherwise people would be stuck grinding the same two events over and over, which is what people are saying they do not want to do.

No hearts were add because new player feel lost otherwise. Devs literally said this.

Some must fight so that all may be free.

Kravick.4906

No hearts were add because new player feel lost otherwise. Devs literally said this.

Right. To give people direction. Not to mention that without the hearts, people couldn’t figure out how to level up and progress to the next area.

Stuff goes here.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

Right. To give people direction. Not to mention that without the hearts, people couldn’t figure out how to level up and progress to the next area.

You mean like people do in expansion content otherwise ppl would be stuck at the first tiny part of map and there are people on second and third already.

Kravick.4906

You mean like people do in expansion content otherwise ppl would be stuck at the first tiny part of map and there are people on second and third already.

No. Expansion has little green dots to follow. AKA story quest.

Stuff goes here.

Posted by: Slamfire.1096

Slamfire.1096

Unless you really NEED to play it now or have friends to play with I would wait.

When the next expansion comes along it’ll probably go free and if you bought it now you wouldn’t get any discount. Loyalty is not rewarded.

Posted by: Xytor.1267

Xytor.1267

I think you completely missed the point in my argument. Yes, they were added for the sake of extra experience among other things. But are they necessary in the new content? Of course not. I don’t know what you’re doing, but I’ve managed to progress without doing the same events over and over. Again I state, your argument is bogus.

Posted by: Amineo.8951

Amineo.8951

I highly recommend waiting a price drop, because almost 50% of HoT is not finished (raids, storyline, pvp stuff, legendaries etc…), don’t buy an unfinished product.

Posted by: drkmgic.9583

drkmgic.9583

Definitely just wait. The game is frustrating atm.