So, how am I supposed to do the hero points?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Sollunad.9780

Sollunad.9780

Please remember that playing with your elite spec is optional unless you want to complete some collections. Therefore you’re not forced to get the HPs with every character.

Posted by: Baldrick.8967

Baldrick.8967

Please remember that playing with your elite spec is optional unless you want to complete some collections. Therefore you’re not forced to get the HPs with every character.

What a complete non-entry that is.

That’s like saying using a weapon with your character is optional, and about as much relevance to the OP’s question.

I think you’ll also find that playing with your elite spec might be quite useful in many areas of the game (Raids, wvw, pvp)0 but I guess if you’re a member of the ‘press 1’ brigade than you wouldn’t have noticed anyway.

The OP’s point has been stated since H0T launched, and as I pointed out from another account just after launch, these things will become more and more difficult to get done as time goes on- and so it is proving to be the case.

‘just ask for help in guild’ gets very old in guild too, as the 10th request to do the HP you just did comes in and you actually just spent all your log in time doing that rather than doing anything you wanted to. How many days/weeks/months of that will you continue to help for…

WvW player. Doing another world completion for my next Legendary. Hater of mini-games.

Posted by: misterman.1530

misterman.1530

But as fewer and fewer people are spending their time in AB, for instance, there will be fewer and fewer chances to get that HP.

You can usually find a taxi into an AB that is winning if you look at the right time.

Yeah, that’s the trick…I need to be looking “…at the right time”.

Posted by: Ghostwind.4380

Ghostwind.4380

Sorry this is a pretty poor statement. That’s like saying it’s optional to stay at level 1 and not bother to unlock any other skills or utilities, just run around streaking. Every skill is and specialization is “optional” using that logic.

Elites are not some special case. They are another specialization in your characters vertical progression, just like your other specializations your character is supposed to unlock in order to give build variety. That’s why it takes one of your specialization slots.

Posted by: femalehumanmeta.8351

femalehumanmeta.8351

Just give us more options to unlock elite specs please. It’s getting really tiresome asking in map chat or lfg and hoping someone shows up to help.

At this point, I’d even be ok with a gold sink unlock for elite specs.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

There’s plenty of option to unlock elite specs. There’s like 202 HP’s in core Tyria and 16 or so in HoT that award 10 each. And there’s WvW as mentioned too.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

WvW is probably more dead than HoT depending on the server.

Posted by: babazhook.6805

babazhook.6805

This isn’t some kinda design fault, this is purely on the players.

7-8 Challenges in Verdant Brink are Solo’able.
4-5 Challenges in Auric Basin are Solo’able.
6 Challenges in Tangled Depths are Solo’able.
All 3 Tower Challenges in Dragon’s Stand are Solo’able.

In total, at Optimal Conditions, 24 Solo’able challenges, you need 25 in order to fully develop an Elite Spec. Gathering 10 SP in core Tyria is so easy you could fall asleep doing it, it’s all 8 in Queensdale + 2 in Ebonhawke for humans. Takes you what, 10 minutes tops to get done. Even if you miss the one in Auric and the 3 in DS because of Meta Event requirements, you’re still 200 HP into your Elite spec, 80% Done.

If you leveled entirely through Tomes and have absolutely 0 remaining Hero Points at 80 well guess what? Tough luck. You took the easy way up, and now you’ve got the hard way further. Fair’s fair, deal with it.

Funny how the people who have already completed everything say it’s “easy”. I’ve fully unlocked all the maps\story in core on about 4 characters. Fully explored HoT and story on one character, and fully unlocked the elite specs on 6 characters. There is nothing “easy” about fully unlocking the elite specs on a character. Particularly if you did not do full map complete in core before going into Hot.

Here’s my main issue with this whole thing: hero points are part of VERTICAL progression. You need them to fully unlock your core elite skill set. It’s not like some weapon skin, or some achievement, or some stupid title, or some barely better stat item. It’s part of your characters abilities. That’s why from 1-80 Anet just GIVES them to you. Because really, you shouldn’t have to find a group every time you want to learn a new skill right? That’s why they made it easy. They only started to dribble them out during 1-80 leveling to help ease in new players in the game from being overloaded.

The concept though of unlocking your own skills was fundamentally changed with elite specs. Elite specs REQUIRE getting hero points outside of standard experience and level gain. Yes, you can gain about 40% of your elite skill progression by doing all the hero points outside of HoT (like I did by having full core map complete on 4 prior to HoT), but that still leaves around 60% that need to come from HoT. If you did full map complete first, you have the option to short-cut and seek out all the non-group\soloable hero points. But if you didn’t have full map complete prior to HoT, you will be FORCED to find a group at some point to unlock your own character’s skills. If that’s “not a design fault” as you claim, then it’s a total change in their vertical progression philosophy to date.

I disagree entirely. I created two brand new level 0 characters and took them to 80 using tomes. They had absolutley 0 map exploration and I ran them both out to the HOT areas. I was able to get both of them fully specced with elites on a single weekend this mixing in a lot of play on other characters. Just do the solo ones and through the course of the days you will find people doing the HPs that need more then one person.

Part of the problem seems to be people take the position that they need to get the character needing to be specced in game and wait around waiting for a group to do a HP. I just listend to chat with alt characters and when I heard people needed help at a certain point or were going to a certain point or were doing a meta I just brought in the toon needing that point. People do not have to “wait around”. Nothing forces you to look for a group.

That frog as example. I would do my own thing on other toons and just pop in there now and then using the WP. Sometimes no one there. other times 3 or 4 fight the frog. Bring in the toon needed it and frog done. All you need to do prior is locate the WPS with that newly created toon so you can pop in where you need to be.

(edited by babazhook.6805)

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

I’ve had good luck tagging up beside the HP I want, announcing that I’m going to do it and waiting a few minutes, just two players is enough for most of them and people running by will often join in (you get a daily reward chest for them).

In the future (when the next expansion comes around) I can see them reducing these HPs to Veterans instead of Champions.

Posted by: Rabe.2456

Rabe.2456

I’ve been using map chat to find people for hero points. :o