So what IS the value of HoT?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: tboneking.2531

tboneking.2531

I think the weird thing here is that ANET is also including the base game for people who dont have it yet. Which leaves the value they’ve placed this xpac at in question. If the base game+xpac costs 50 dollars, why does buying only the xpac also only cost 50 dollars? Does this mean that the value of the product is somehow flexible person to person?

I would also like to point out how this pales in comparison with the expansions for gw1, which also cost 50 bucks. Currently we’re getting guild halls, one more specialization, (maybe) 5 more skills, a new profession, and a couple more areas in Maguuma. When they released an expansion for gw1, they added two classes, doubled the amount of skills for each existing class, created completely new story lines (literally entire story arks that could be freestanding next to the other ones), new pvp arenas (not just one map mushed in with the standard map circuit), and an entire continent.

My opinion is this: you can have two kinds of player bases: one that will buy your continuous stream of gemstore items at a steady low price, or one that will buy your major expansions for a relatively high price. Attempting to do both has (much like celestial is rumored to become on Tuesday) left you overextended and good at neither.

Posted by: steve.2945

steve.2945

its worth how ever much you believe it is. I bought it, because its Guildwars 2, buy it once and i will play it for another 3-4 years, on 1 payment.

Proud TTS member

Posted by: Balsa.3951

Balsa.3951

yep cant put a price tag on ur happiness after all its nothing u need in life.

so price varies from – 1000000 to + 1000000 Krypton Dollars

A game waste time, time u could spend on becoming an Astronaut. But sometimes its nice to escape the reality and just have fun.

Posted by: joneb.5679

joneb.5679

£20.99 as its a small fraction of the size GW2 was when it was released. I got bored with GW2 and I am enjoying another game but I am curious about HoT and have 5 characters to return to and a guild still. There are plenty full world mmorpgs at HoTs price tag with much more new systems, classes, stories to explore. Don’t need an extra slot as they can be bought with ingame cash conversion. So yeh £20.99 is the most its worth to me.

I use forums to give my opinions but I mostly avoid discussing over
them due to those less than polite individuals out there and their offensive attitude.

Posted by: Pretty Pixie.8603

Pretty Pixie.8603

Impossible to say at this point. Not $50 in my book on what they’ve revealed so far. I’ll hols judgement until I know more.

Relentless Inquisition [PAIN] – FA

Posted by: Daddar.5971

Daddar.5971

I’ll be waiting on the sidelines. It’s a shame, because I wanted to be hyped about this. I’m sure I would have jumped on it right away if the packages had been $10 less each (probably would have been foolishly excited enough to buy the Ultimate Edition because I like the shiny gem store skins on the many characters I already have). Yeah, it’s really about $10.

‘Elite’ in all 9 professions. I take mediocrity seriously!

Posted by: ThatDamnRat.1236

ThatDamnRat.1236

It’s hard to really say what the value is on the information we have, particularly as the value of a game is a pretty nebulous thing to begin with, especially once digital distribution enters into the picture, where the only cost to create a new copy is bandwidth, which as an MMO they’re paying for anyway.

But IMHO I would be prepared to pay $40 for the expansion, and would probably be thinking more along the lines of $35

Posted by: Otokomae.9356

Otokomae.9356

You mean, just the expansion by itself, with no bonuses, character slots, base game code, etc? $30. But I would have paid $40 if that had been the price on day 1 of release.

I would also like to point out how this pales in comparison with the expansions for gw1, which also cost 50 bucks.

That’s funny, I had 2 of the expansions, both pre-orders, and both were $39.99.

Bakuon/Bakuon Thief [MAS]/ ex-[ATac]

Posted by: Arantheal.7396

Arantheal.7396

GvG
Guild-halls (with massive goodies for PvP/WvW and customization / next tier of guild-skins)
Precursor collections (think several thousand gold OR easier Legendary-crafting)
New Legendaries
New weapon/ armor skins
New elite-specializations for all classes (especially hyped about the still not announced engi hammer)
New class – Revenant
New full sized map (so far only one revealed, but with 3 hight levels, so basically we know 3 maps already)
New Story
Expanded character voices (hired the old character-actors again, so more immersion (if you care about these things))
Gliders
PvE masteries, so continued character/account-progression

With the stuff announced so far, it was worth the price in my opinion, hence I bought it already.

I still hope for new dungeons and maybe even raids, but even without them, I’m a satisfied customer that will get gameplay that will keep me busy for the coming years.

On top of that we get a new PvP mode (maybe even with multiple maps) and a new WvW map, that will be available to everyone for free, once HoT goes live.

Engineer is love, Engineer is life.

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

$35 US is what I would pay for it. Throw in a Character slot and I will up that to $40 US

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”

Posted by: Jitsuryoku.9038

Jitsuryoku.9038

This thread will explain everything if you do your own math:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/hot/A-Detailed-Comparison-for-HoT/first#post5174053

If you think it is correct, keep it alive!

(edited by Jitsuryoku.9038)

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Once I know exactly what’s in the Xpac, I can comment. Untill then I can’t make an accurate assumption. After all we don’t know the full content. I think they did drop the preorder a bit early. They really needed to give out more information on what the Xpac will include. But it’s there PR disaster to fix.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

One of my biggest points of contention is that they haven’t revealed how many new zones there are going to be, or if there are going to be any new dungeons. That’s a very make-it-or-break-it kind of thing.

It’s absurd they expect people to preorder without basic information like that.

(edited by Einlanzer.1627)

Posted by: OnionXI.6735

OnionXI.6735

Unless they’re doing something to rescue PvE from the sorry state it’s in, not even half of what they’re asking.

Not going to pay $50 if it just means adding a new zone to the vapid world boss grind and no new dungeons.

Posted by: Amroth.2170

Amroth.2170

One of my biggest points of contention is that they haven’t revealed how many new zones there are going to be, or if there are going to be any new dungeons. That’s a very make-it-or-break-it kind of thing.

It’s absurd they expect people to preorder without basic information like that.

My best guess is that it won’t be very many. Maybe 3-5 at most.

We’ve been getting a lot of descriptions for how they wanted to implement new mechanics into those zones for getting around, making things “vertical”, and reducing waypoints to create the sense that zones are “bigger” by forcing you to travel manually.

To me thats all nice language to dress up the fact that there won’t be a lot of new territory to cover. It’s a bit like Silverwastes not having any waypoints in an effort to make the zone feel larger, when in reality it was 1/4 the size of a normal area. Not only that, but developing those new travel mechanics and making each zone “deeper” (whatever that means) probably took time away from actual world building.

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

God kitten it. This game is so good and has so much potential. How do they keep kittening it up so royally?

Posted by: Kurogami.9210

Kurogami.9210

So what if it turns out that the expansion actually is worth the 50$?

Julie Yann.5379

I highly doubt it. Unless they decide to postpone the release date further to add more or include some wording in the terms of sale which binds them to create x amount of content for it in x timeframe.

Kurogami.9210

I highly doubt it. Unless they decide to postpone the release date further to add more or include some wording in the terms of sale which binds them to create x amount of content for it in x timeframe.

Yes, but ‘creating content’ is exactly one of the problems here. We know for a fact that HoT will receive constant updates and new content, which basically means that the amount of content we get for these 50$ will slowly but constantly rise. And if the size of HoT increases, so will its value.
But when will players be able to say that they are happy with the amount of content they got?

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

Yes, but ‘creating content’ is exactly one of the problems here. We know for a fact that HoT will receive constant updates and new content, which basically means that the amount of content we get for these 50$ will slowly but constantly rise. And if the size of HoT increases, so will its value.
But when will players be able to say that they are happy with the amount of content they got?

That only makes an early purchase at full price less attractive. Wait for a discount and get more available content. More for less.

Posted by: Entenkommando.5208

Entenkommando.5208

@op
Ask this question once you know what’s coming.
Even after the beta you won’t know what it will be like with release.

R.I.P Kodasch Allianz [KoA]

All we wanted was a GvG.

Kurogami.9210

That only makes an early purchase at full price less attractive. Wait for a discount and get more available content. More for less.

Yes, so why do people purchase a game at release when we know for a fact that EVERY game, single-player or MMO, will get cheaper as time goes by?

Julie Yann.5379

Yes, so why do people purchase a game at release when we know for a fact that EVERY game, single-player or MMO, will get cheaper as time goes by?

Because they are impulse buyers that companies prey upon to get into their wallets.

…and LS is cheap content that isn’t worth paying for. In my case it wasn’t even worth playing.

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

I don’t know, I don’t know what’s going on in other people’s heads. I hardly ever buy anything before the dust settles and consensus about the quality of a product emerges. It doesn’t even have anything to do with money and lower prices or anything, I just hate buying rubbish on the principle of it. If I buy something I later consider to be rubbish, I will look askew at the provider, but I fully realize I’ve been a sucker.

Posted by: RabbitUp.8294

RabbitUp.8294

Given how quite a lot of players, me included, will have to pay at least $60 for the expansion, which is how much GW2 launched at, I know already the expansion won’t contain as much content as the base game itself.

Posted by: Hybarf Tics.2048

Hybarf Tics.2048

So what IS the value of HoT? HOT= Living Story 3= Only 3 explorable zones each being sold to you for $16.66 each deal with the ripp off and enjoy. I can’t wait to see pleople’s reactions when they realize that it is that small and it’s over in a month at most. This afternoon me and a friend are gonna do research to find the article that says it is only 3 zones. As it is I’ve already quit over this and won’t be buying unless it’s bigger say 10 zones.

Kurogami.9210

Given how quite a lot of players, me included, will have to pay at least $60 for the expansion, which is how much GW2 launched at, I know already the expansion won’t contain as much content as the base game itself.

Hardly any games for the same price have the same amount of content as GW2. It’s mostly MMOs which offer the highest content/price ratio, but if the amount of content was everything that mattered, why would anyone still buy single-player games that can be completed within 10-30 hours with no replay value?

I think its not the amount of content that’s important, but the amount of fun you can have with the content that is given to you.

If you spend 5 hours having fun on a party and pay 20$ for it, does that mean that having fun in HoT for 100 hours equals 400$ of value?

If you spent the same amount of time in HoT as you did in another game you bought for 10$, does that make HoT’s value 10$ as well?

To be honest, I forgot where I was going with my questions, but I guess it’s a fact that the value for HoT is subjective and different for every person.

Posted by: DresdenAllblack.1249

DresdenAllblack.1249

Agree with Kurogami.

Any game you put a hundred or more hours on is priceless.

My labor rate at work is $125 an hour, yet we scoff at the price of a game that some people have 8000 hours on.

Angelina is free game again.
Crystal Desert

Posted by: GranspearZX.5624

GranspearZX.5624

It might be eventually, before whatever release date they decide on. Right now, people are pretty much paying for beta weekend access.

No one knows if you’re even able to keep anything from beta weekends (if the GW2 original beta is any indication, the answer is no), so…

Posted by: RabbitUp.8294

RabbitUp.8294

why would anyone still buy single-player games that can be completed within 10-30 hours with no replay value?

I don’t buy $60 games that I will only play once, so I can only speak for myself. As of now, HoT is a gamble, as I don’t have as much information I would like to make an educated call.

For the same money, Steam is more than happy to offer me 10 or so cheaper games which combined offer the same fun, and I don’t risk putting all my eggs in one basket.

There are also F2P MMOs, who technically offer close to infinity value for money.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

I have no idea what the value of HoT is, but there’s one thing i am certain of. Someone is paying for the core game included, and it definitely isn’t Anet.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I don’t think anyone can tell you what the ‘value’ of the expansion is. ANet has decided that it’s monetary value is 50$. Period, end of story.

Now, whether or not you feel it is worth that value depends completely on you. I know a lot of people are screaming that we don’t have enough information right now, that’s fine. Those people need to wait til it releases, watch some streams of people playing it, read some blogs from people that bought it, and make a decision at that point. Others have purchased it, liking what they have seen thus far.

Personally, I like what I’ve seen. I like the goodies in the deluxe pack, and so I’m opting to purchase that pack. If I get at least 50 hours of play out of the expansion content (which, I really don’t have any doubts that I’ll get that and more), then (imo) I’ve gotten my monies worth. $1/hour (or less) is an excellent deal for enjoyable entertainment in comparison to other options available to me.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

The value is determined by the competition’s quantity and quality.

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

Since it includes GW2 Core, and for all purposes, since it seems most of the content is in the core part, I’d say at best it’s with $30 considering age probably reduced the value of the core game to $20.

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

In terms of percieved value, I’d say it’s hard to tell without knowing specifically what’s in it and what parts will appeal to me personally.

However, the way I look at it if I can get 35 hours worth of enjoyment out of it that’s the equivalent of £1 an hour.

Considering I’ve clocked 665 hours so far and I bought the Digital Deluxe edition, that amounts to me spending a grand total of 8p an hour which, personally, I consider to be great value.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: Zalavaaris.5329

Zalavaaris.5329

On a game that came with SOOO much for $60 the expansion will not even come CLOSE to that amount of content (which is what im comparing it to) so I would say if it comes with a character slot the expansion is worth $40 and thats a generous valuation because at 2/3 the price of the original it should have 2/3 the content but I doubt it will. The rest of that valuation comes from good faith that future content will be amazing.