So whats your thoughts on Taunt?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

How you like the new Taunt effect?

Anything you notice about it?

From what I have seen, there is a chance for Taunt to fail, and the NPC will continue to attack whatever it was attacking beforehand, while the Taunt effect icon is on the NPC. (normal NPC by the way, not boss/defiance NPC)

Posted by: Mordalus.8146

Mordalus.8146

Taunt is a good idea imo. The game needs some soft roles instituted to make small group content more interesting. Right now, healing and tanking are completely unnecessary in the PvE meta even though we have gear for those types of roles. Anet can certainly implement these things without fully embracing the trinity. Honestly, it would be a breath of fresh air compared to the everyone in zerker gear meta.

Posted by: Cyrill Faust.9340

Cyrill Faust.9340

I think they should have picked a different name, it’s not meant to function in anyway similar to “taunt” in trinity games and it just confuses people who have a poor grasp on game mechanic/design. It’s meant to be the opposite of Fear instead of of pushing away it pulls in, it was never meant as PVE aggro control.
That said I can see how it could be interesting in PVP/WVW however it’s not accessible enough to really matter at the moment.

Proud member of [BANK] my bank guild and [BANK](2) my other bank guild

Knighthonor.4061

I think they should have picked a different name, it’s not meant to function in anyway similar to “taunt” in trinity games and it just confuses people who have a poor grasp on game mechanic/design. It’s meant to be the opposite of Fear instead of of pushing away it pulls in, it was never meant as PVE aggro control.
That said I can see how it could be interesting in PVP/WVW however it’s not accessible enough to really matter at the moment.

I disagree. Because it forces enemy to also auto attack the source of taunt.
Also it controls AI for NPC. Far different from Fear.

Posted by: Zunnar.8503

Zunnar.8503

As long as it doesn’t turn into the “holy trinity” problem some MMORPGs face. As a more extreme example we could have 50 people in a max of 54 for our Everquest raids and 1-2 of the wrong people logging off could make us unable to do anything of value.

Posted by: McWolfy.5924

McWolfy.5924

Btw what happens if i use wolf fear with taunt trait?

WSR→Piken→Deso→Piken→FSP→Deso
Just the WvW
R3200+

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

It forces them to auto attack while the taunt is in effect. Once the taunt ends the mob can continue attacking other players as normal, taunt has no effect on the threat list of the mob. It doesn’t put the taunter on the top of the threat list like taunts do in “aggro games”

Knighthonor.4061

It forces them to auto attack while the taunt is in effect. Once the taunt ends the mob can continue attacking other players as normal, taunt has no effect on the threat list of the mob. It doesn’t put the taunter on the top of the threat list like taunts do in “aggro games”

From what I been testing, that’s not the case, except the one time I had the taunt fail all together and didn’t effect the enemy at all while the condition was on the NPC condition bar.

But in my testing, taunt held Aggro after the mob was taunted, meaning it places the taunted target at top of Aggro list. Just like in other MMOs with taunts in PvE.

Posted by: HotHit.6783

HotHit.6783

It functions exactly like taunt in League of Legends.
It functions similarly to taunt in pokémon. (which is google’s first gaming definition of it)
Hell, it functions almost exactly like the taunt in Megaten, the last MMO I played.

I think your definition of a taunt status effect is just wrong.

Never Fight Alone” – Sunspear Creed
There, it’s dead and it’s never coming back!” – Famous last words

(edited by HotHit.6783)

Posted by: LeviQuiteQuirky.6892

LeviQuiteQuirky.6892

Taunt has a lot of potential with my personal playstyle, but I can’t really say anything on it at the moment because I have no idea what professions will receive it or what sigils and runes will give it.

If anyone has any news on what profession, skills, sigils or runes will be giving us this new CC I’d love a link to it

P.S. already know about the ranger.

Posted by: NoTrigger.8396

NoTrigger.8396

From what I been testing, that’s not the case, except the one time I had the taunt fail all together and didn’t effect the enemy at all while the condition was on the NPC condition bar.

But in my testing, taunt held Aggro after the mob was taunted, meaning it places the taunted target at top of Aggro list. Just like in other MMOs with taunts in PvE.

and even if thats the case it still wont make “tanks” viable, because you can get good and avoid damage in gw2 instead of eating it.

[qT] Quantify

Knighthonor.4061

and even if thats the case it still wont make “tanks” viable, because you can get good and avoid damage in gw2 instead of eating it.

What is a tank?
Somebody the controls mobs is it not?

Well with Defiance bar and taunt, thats more of a reality come HoT.

You were arguing that Taunt is simply a reverse fear. again, Taunt is in the game now, and proves you Nay Sayers wrong.

From testing, it totally changes the aggro list, and puts the caster at the top, even after effect ends. Even changes the target of the target just like Taunt in every other MMO with taunts.

Now what you have to say about that?

Posted by: NoTrigger.8396

NoTrigger.8396

What is a tank?

You were arguing that Taunt is simply a reverse fear. again, Taunt is in the game now, and proves you Nay Sayers wrong.

From testing, it totally changes the aggro list, and puts the caster at the top, even after effect ends. Even changes the target of the target just like Taunt in every other MMO with taunts.

im saying, even if its the case, your facetank gear wont be optimal because you can avoid taking damage.

[qT] Quantify

Posted by: TheFantasticGman.9451

TheFantasticGman.9451

NoTrigger is still right. Even if I used Taunt, I’d still avoid the damage instead of taking it… so, still no tanks.

Speaking from a PVE-only point of view…

Posted by: Bearhugger.4326

Bearhugger.4326

Taunt is one of the greatest thing coming to the game for me. That said it’s a bit weird that naturally tanky class such as the guardian or its elite specialization don’t get taunt.

If warriors’ elite spec doesn’t get taunt either I’m going to be disappointed. With the warriors’ “burst” defenses like Shield Stance or Defy Pain it would be awesome.

Posted by: MattyP.6954

MattyP.6954

What is a tank?

im saying, even if its the case, your facetank gear wont be optimal because you can avoid taking damage.

This kind of Taunt mechanic changes what it would mean to “Tank” in this game. Tanking isn’t just about taking damage, it’s about taking the attention of your enemies away from your allies. In that sense, you don’t have to eat any damage whatsoever and you can still be a tank, as long as you keep the target interested in you.

For example: Taunt + Shield Stance is a classic take on tanking, while an Engineer with taunt can cc-lock the taunted enemy with blinds and knockdowns.

Tanking can, and maybe should, become a thing in this game—it just won’t be the damage sponge we know from WoW.

Server — Fort Aspenwood
Mains — Mathias of the Wood [Ranger]; Collaborator Bluatt [Engineer]
Alts — Necromancer, Warrior, Elementalist

Posted by: Broom.2561

Broom.2561

Taunt is a good idea imo. The game needs some soft roles instituted to make small group content more interesting. Right now, healing and tanking are completely unnecessary in the PvE meta even though we have gear for those types of roles. Anet can certainly implement these things without fully embracing the trinity. Honestly, it would be a breath of fresh air compared to the everyone in zerker gear meta.

Funny you should say that. You DO know, I hope, that in most ‘trinity’ games, dedicated tanks and healers are scarce, right? It’s a never-ending pain, with everyone wanting to be DPS and DPS charging into mobs without letting the tank get agro. And even in this game, people capable of healing just DO NOT HEAL OTHERS even when it’s essential (e.g. temple of balthazar, keeping the NPCs alive).

And you think it’s a good idea to introduce the type of gameplay where taunts/healers become more important? Give me the berserker meta any day…

Posted by: Achrisos.1360

Achrisos.1360

I am annoyed that ANet did not go back and add this debuff to more existing weapons/utility skills. I mean would it not have been obvious to add taunt to some Guard weaps like Mace or Shield or on a War weap?

At least give us confirmation that this is being looked at for future release.

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

And even in this game, people capable of healing just DO NOT HEAL OTHERS even when it’s essential (e.g. temple of balthazar, keeping the NPCs alive).

To be fair, that is often more of a case of enemy mobs spawning right on top of the NPC’s, and instantly obliterating them with multiple simultaneous nukes, before people can even react.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Posted by: MattyP.6954

MattyP.6954

And even in this game, people capable of healing just DO NOT HEAL OTHERS even when it’s essential (e.g. temple of balthazar, keeping the NPCs alive).

To be fair, that is often more of a case of enemy mobs spawning right on top of the NPC’s, and instantly obliterating them with multiple simultaneous nukes, before people can even react.

Also, I would be interested to see an update on this with some of the Support Build Buffs that came through with the Specialization patch. I mean, I AoE Heal on a Necromancer for Kitten’s Sake.

Server — Fort Aspenwood
Mains — Mathias of the Wood [Ranger]; Collaborator Bluatt [Engineer]
Alts — Necromancer, Warrior, Elementalist

Knighthonor.4061

Funny you should say that. You DO know, I hope, that in most ‘trinity’ games, dedicated tanks and healers are scarce, right? It’s a never-ending pain, with everyone wanting to be DPS and DPS charging into mobs without letting the tank get agro. And even in this game, people capable of healing just DO NOT HEAL OTHERS even when it’s essential (e.g. temple of balthazar, keeping the NPCs alive).

And you think it’s a good idea to introduce the type of gameplay where taunts/healers become more important? Give me the berserker meta any day…

Whats funny, in games with Trinity, the Support/Tank roles are not as desired
But in non trinity games, those same roles are desired.

I see many people in GW2 want to play Support/Tank roles but cant, while in other MMos that may be the reverse effect.

The Non-Trinity trend in MMOs became less popular after the release of GW2 as well.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Well yes, you will see people want trinity roles because that’s an engrained attachment with MMO’s. There are also people who like to play a defined, rigid role. That ill be the case forever during the game’s lifetime.

However, I see far more people against the trinity role in GW2 by a country mile. It’s a huge selling point to the game. Whilst the game continues to tweak it and ofc has had problem with the zerker meta (which highlights why a full dps set of stats could have been a flaw from launch), generally it pulls if off pretty well.

Posted by: CrimsonDX.4821

CrimsonDX.4821

It is just a reverse fear, nothing wrong with it at all.

Knighthonor.4061

It is just a reverse fear, nothing wrong with it at all.

Nope. thats not the case at all.

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

Posted by: Bearhugger.4326

Bearhugger.4326

Well yes, you will see people want trinity roles because that’s an engrained attachment with MMO’s. There are also people who like to play a defined, rigid role. That ill be the case forever during the game’s lifetime.

However, I see far more people against the trinity role in GW2 by a country mile. It’s a huge selling point to the game. Whilst the game continues to tweak it and ofc has had problem with the zerker meta (which highlights why a full dps set of stats could have been a flaw from launch), generally it pulls if off pretty well.

That’s a playstyle preference, not an attachment to the ways of old MMOs.

A lot of players would be happy just being able to play tanks and healers and feel useful. Having a tank or a healer can stay optional, as long as it’s not a waste of a party slot to have someone play those roles.

Other MMOs do that just fine. There’s no reason GW2 should stick to that broken design of completely disabling tanking and healing. It makes the PvE meta completely one-sided and boring. It makes players with defensive/supportive playstyles ignore PvE or just quit the game.

I commend Arenanet for having the audacity of trying something new instead of just looking at what Blizzard does, but now it’s time to admit it failed, to let it go, and to think of something better. It hasn’t worked in the last 3 years and it’s not going to work in the future. It’s pretty obvious that the dungeons are a failure when every MMO that came after GW2 copied everything except its DPS-only dungeons.

Taunt, but also the Revenant Ventari and Jalis legends, and the defiant bar are all steps in the right direction for me.

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

pretty interesting to see how this will develop from a purely academic point of view. Maybe you finally get your way Knight

Not sure if you won´t find it to be a Nessus robe in the end. You probably have seen events like the Marionette, like Scarlett´s platform. A huge part of GW2s playerbase is over their heads with simple things as timed killing… or the few special mechanics in dungeons and LS instances. You think they are up to trinity gameplay with dedicated roles? I am rather sceptical, but will be looking forward to “don´t steal aggro!” threads in the future :P

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

I have a question: If I have a Ranger with that “Pets cause Taunt on F2” trait attached, and I have the Wolf equipped which causes [Fear], what happens to the enemy? Do they run away from or towards the pet?

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: Bovan.9481

Bovan.9481

Because there are so many questions about the Wolf fear and Taunt, I decided to log my Ranger and test it. The Taunt goes off instantly while the fear has a somewhat long cast time. What happens is the target gets taunted first, attacking the pet. Then the cast time finishes and the fear goes off.

Quite an interesting and fun reaction and this will make sure your AoE fear goes off because the taunt is instant. Unfortunately the long cooldown on the fear makes this very gimmicky.

Bovan Ironwrench – Bovan Sundermist
Immortal Kingdom [KING]

(edited by Bovan.9481)

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

Because there are so many questions about the Wolf fear and Taunt, I decided to log my Ranger and test it. The Taunt goes off instantly while the fear has a somewhat long cast time. What happens is the target gets taunted first, attacking the pet. Then the cast time finisher and the fear goes off.

Quite an interesting and fun reaction and this will make sure your AoE fear goes off because the taunt is instant. Unfortunately the long cooldown on the fear makes this very gimmicky.

Thanks – I’m going to have to load a ranger and charm a wolf from WvW now just to try it! It does sound fun!

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: Jayden Ennok.3687

Jayden Ennok.3687

From WvW perspective – encoutered taunt only on few occassions including several duels with a ranger. I was playing my thief and I found taunt to be really punishing for that class, but haven’t fought it with other classes so hard to compare. It seems like Taunt is very strong vs class that relies on active defence and is squishy.

Underworld Vabbi 1.5yr