Sorry ANET

Sorry ANET

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: sharkswithlazers.7632

sharkswithlazers.7632

When I heard that you guys finally released the Pre-Purchase for the game, my wife and I rushed to your website to purchase the Heart of Thorns expansion. We don’t care that you chose to give the game free to new players because we’ve spent three years loving your master crafted game. The amount of dedication poured into the making of this MMO is apparent. The quality of life in this MMO greatly surpasses your competition and we have been avid fans of this franchise ever since we discovered it during your pre-release of GW2.

It’s disheartening to us to see that other veteran players are blowing up the forums because they want free stuff. I can’t imagine how frustrating it must be to put so much effort into making a game and when you finally release the pre-purchase for its expansion that the player base would be so negative and calling you guys “soulless corporate husks” for just trying to market this game.

My point is, I’m super hyped for this expansion, and I’m sorry that rather than hearing from your players about how excited they are as well, you’re getting ragers angry that they didn’t get free stuff.

Sorry ANET

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

That`s actually not the issue.
It`s because the inclusion of the core game devalues the expansion instead of enhancing it.
The “cheap” digital stuff doesn`t help either, as well as the character slot which was begged to be included from the beginning.

Anet stated a long time that HoT needs the core game to run, however making GW2HoT the only existing version nullifies that argument, since right now HoT = GW2.

Sorry ANET

Posted by: DresdenAllblack.1249

DresdenAllblack.1249

I am on your side. Already purchased the $100 version. Been with Anet since GW1 dropped. But let me be honest, gamers aren’t angry because of things they did not receive free. Anet has done a poor job of PROPERLY conveying just what is inside their expac.
How many maps? How big are the maps?
What are the rest of the elite specs? Why would someone that only plays thief give them money when they have ZERO idea what they will get.
On the free side, Anet SHOULD include a character slot with every version. It’s simple gratitude towards the player.
I bought it, I am happy to do so, like you we will enjoy gliding through Tyria. But if they lose gamer population they have no one to blame but themselves.

Angelina is free game again.
Crystal Desert

Sorry ANET

Posted by: Lydon.1890

Lydon.1890

When I heard that you guys finally released the Pre-Purchase for the game, my boyfriend and I rushed to your website to purchase the Heart of Thorns expansion. We don’t care that you chose to give the game free to new players because we’ve spent three years loving your master crafted game. The amount of dedication poured into the making of this MMO is apparent. The quality of life in this MMO greatly surpasses your competition and we have been avid fans of this franchise ever since we discovered Guild Wars 1 in 2007.

It’s disheartening to us to see that the standard edition of the expansion pack doesn’t come with an additional character slot for its unexpectedly high price. You can’t imagine how frustrating it must be to put so much effort into playing a game and when you finally release the pre-purchase for its expansion we realise how much money we’re going to have to pay to enjoy all of the new content without deleting existing characters or grinding for gold.

My point is, I’m super hyped for this expansion, but I’m sorry that I won’t be purchasing it as matters currently stand.

Sorry ANET

sharkswithlazers.7632

Sure, I understand that everyone wanted a character slot. I also get that people are mad that the expansion is 50$ and for some people that’s 50$ plus a free game (GW2 core) and to the vets its just 50$ and no character expansion.

But, this is the first, long-awaited expansion that has a ton of content. It’s easily worth 50$ and I don’t think even half of the people fighting this would be upset with that price if they hadn’t given GW2 core for free to new players. 50$ is reasonable for the content. The inclusion of the core doesn’t devalue anything. The core is being given free to players who are new because let’s face it, joining an established MMO is a daunting idea to new players. They’ll be noobs in a game full of vets who won’t have patience for their learning curve.

I’m really more frustrated that rather than coming together as a community, all excited about the expansion that will be released soon, we have so many people who are angry over a 10$ difference.

Truth told, they could have charged 60$ for the expansion (and provided a character slot) and no one would have complained.

Sorry ANET

Posted by: Myrden.2456

Myrden.2456

Please don’t speak for me, OP. And don’t apologize for me, either. You’re thrilled with the expansion and will slap down $50 per copy blindly … that’s great.

No one is saying that ANET employees don’t work hard and create a good product. And my problem with this is not the fact new players get it for free (though, it is kind of a stick in the eye to us veteran players). My issue is the price of the expansion does not match the scope of it. Yes, it has not arrived yet and we don’t fully know what it will entail. We DO know it will not be the same size and scale of the full game, which is cheaper than $50. Will the expansion have the same amount of content as the full game? No way it will.
Again, don’t apologize for me as I am not sorry for voicing my opinion. I – and hundreds (maybe thousands) — am not as thrilled as you to shell out this much for a patch.

Sorry ANET

sharkswithlazers.7632

I see what you did there, Lydon.

I hope you change your mind and decide to play Heart of Thorns. If you’ve played since 2007, I’m sure you’ll be delighted at what’s in store in the expansion.

Sorry ANET

Posted by: MiniEquine.6014

MiniEquine.6014

When I heard that you guys finally released the Pre-Purchase for the game, my boyfriend and I rushed to your website to purchase the Heart of Thorns expansion. We don’t care that you chose to give the game free to new players because we’ve spent three years loving your master crafted game. The amount of dedication poured into the making of this MMO is apparent. The quality of life in this MMO greatly surpasses your competition and we have been avid fans of this franchise ever since we discovered Guild Wars 1 in 2007.

It’s disheartening to us to see that the standard edition of the expansion pack doesn’t come with an additional character slot for its unexpectedly high price. You can’t imagine how frustrating it must be to put so much effort into playing a game and when you finally release the pre-purchase for its expansion we realise how much money we’re going to have to pay to enjoy all of the new content without deleting existing characters or grinding for gold.

My point is, I’m super hyped for this expansion, but I’m sorry that I won’t be purchasing it as matters currently stand.

This is sort of how my wife and I feel too. I was just browsing the livestream notes on reddit and the final edit was “HoT is now available for pre-purchase!” and I was like, “oh? OH?!” I rushed to the website to be greeted with a $49.99 pricetag minimum with no character slot or anything and it felt like the hype train hit the brakes pretty hard. We decided to not purchase it just yet. The expansion isn’t going to be any more expensive than this, and if there’s any possibility of it dropping in price then it will be without the inclusion of either the beta access or the base game; both of which we neither need nor want.

We both also wanted to make Revenants, but it either means grinding out 160G each or spending another $20 on character slots we probably should be getting with a $49.99 with the level of content they have talked about thus far.

It’s going to take a while to get the hype train chugging along again.

Edit: Why the heck does $ and 50 together get censored?

(edited by MiniEquine.6014)

Sorry ANET

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

How disheartening to see fans completely ignore the issue. Standard edition is a major rip-off. No character slot and costs more than most people even paid for the base game to begin with. Not me of course, I’m a faithful customer since Beta of GW1 and bought the deluxe edition of GW2 on preorder. I feel completely sleighted. Standard edition doesn’t even have a character slot? In an expansion with a new class? Really? That is just insulting.

Sorry ANET

Posted by: BartsBiggestFan.9740

BartsBiggestFan.9740

I love that the expansion is finally available and that’s great. Hyped as hell.

However I am pretty disappointed at the moment with the decision they have made and the way they are offering the expansion.

I’m not some one that enjoys paying for some thing I already have, that said the standard addition and all above it really get on my nerves.

I would love to just buy the expansion alone, or have an option for the expansion + 1 character slot. NO core game included..

I already have the core game… so why only offer, offers that include the price of the core game? like I said earlier… I don’t like paying for some thing I already have.

All respect to ANET I did purchase at release of the core game.

Look at Eye Of The North… I was only $20.0 after all. An expansion alone.

Sorry ANET

sharkswithlazers.7632

Myrden, I’m not “blindly” shelling out my hard earned money. I’ve seen some (maybe most, who knows at this point) of the expansion already and what I’ve seen excited me. I’ve been waiting, along with many, many others for expanded weapons for a long time. The expansion looks great. The game is actually 60$ and the expansion is 50$ so you’re right, you’re not paying the same price for (admittedly) less content. Now if you compare it to the ridiculous sales price of 10$ then sorry man, you’re just never going to be pleased.

Compared to their competition, WoW, FF14 and perhaps ESO, they’re releasing expansions at around the same price point but GW2 hasn’t ever required a monthly subscription fee. So do the math and tell me whether or not this game is worth 60$ (3 years ago) + 50$ (soon). Compare that with FF14, for example, and you’d be paying, aside from the 110$ for the base and expac, 540$ of sub fees (36 X 15 for a round three years).

You’re angry. That’s pretty obvious, but this is a very reasonable price.

Sorry ANET

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

I’m not some one that enjoys paying for some thing I already have

You’re not. The core game wasn’t included in the price of the expansion.

Sorry ANET

Posted by: Arkblue.6129

Arkblue.6129

Don’t compare WoW expansion with Heart of Thorns, please… it’s just… please don’t.
I don’t care in the difference in content since we don’t pay sub fees on GW2, but call me when HoT gets 3 raid tiers. Maybe 4.
Oh, and 8 new dungeons.

Sorry ANET

sharkswithlazers.7632

I feel for the GW1 players who had hoped to see a new character slot come with the expansion. However, I’d still argue that paying 60$ for the expac + a new character slot would be reasonable in the context of other MMO’s costs. In addition, in just raw hours, I have somewhere in the ball park of 3,000+ hours of entertainment for 60$ and 100$ (I bought the ultimate). Even in the scope of dollars paid vs hours entertained, you’d be incredibly hard pressed to beat the price of GW2 + HoT. I understand that not everyone has the money to put down on the video game. I can respect that. I still feel like for the amount of enjoyment you’ll get, the price is incredibly fair.

Sorry ANET

Posted by: Noctis.5418

Noctis.5418

When I heard that you guys finally released the Pre-Purchase for the game, my wife and I rushed to your website to purchase the Heart of Thorns expansion. We don’t care that you chose to give the game free to new players because we’ve spent three years loving your master crafted game. The amount of dedication poured into the making of this MMO is apparent. The quality of life in this MMO greatly surpasses your competition and we have been avid fans of this franchise ever since we discovered it during your pre-release of GW2.

It’s disheartening to us to see that other veteran players are blowing up the forums because they want free stuff. I can’t imagine how frustrating it must be to put so much effort into making a game and when you finally release the pre-purchase for its expansion that the player base would be so negative and calling you guys “soulless corporate husks” for just trying to market this game.

My point is, I’m super hyped for this expansion, and I’m sorry that rather than hearing from your players about how excited they are as well, you’re getting ragers angry that they didn’t get free stuff.

You should probably read the forums posts before you comment on disgruntled vets.

Sorry ANET

Posted by: Destai.9603

Destai.9603

I’d say people by and large are not calling them corporate husks but are expressing how frustrated they are at the lack of options.

I won’t purchase this day one or pre-purchase it for several reasons. Firstly, No character slot included in base edition. They set precedence with GW1 and people have asked for a long time to get a character slot. They chose not to. Secondly, No expansion only upgrade option. I’m happy they have a version that includes the base game, it’s a great marketing decision. However, I’m paying for that implicitly. I want just the expansion and the price to match that. I’m not asking for a ton of frills or the other bonuses and I get that ArenaNet has to make money. I’ll buy the expansion some time after but I won’t rush in when they have missteps like these.

Sorry ANET

sharkswithlazers.7632

Well Arkblue, when you pay 15$ X 12 (180$) + 60$ for a total of 240$, yeah it’s no wonder that WoW makes big expansions. That and they have lower end graphics so it’s cheaper to do. There’s less voice acting etc. Also considering that they’ve got the most profitable MMO in history, yeah. Their expansions tend to be bigger. But regardless, they’re still competition for GW2 so when we talk pricing we talk in terms of competition. Everything works this way. So when you compare HoT to Heavensward, Warlord of Draynor and (placeholder for inc ESO) then you have to compare the price points for the expansions. The trouble is that without monthly sub fees they can’t charge you the 240$ for the expansion and deliver a whole new continent because players would look at the 240$ and say “But Heavensward was only 60$” ignoring the money they’ve been paying each month.

I realize that ANet makes profits from gem sales but judging by the number of people upset by a 10$‘s value in the expansion, I’d wager that gems are far less profitable than monthly sub fees.

Sorry ANET

Posted by: Arkblue.6129

Arkblue.6129

So why you compare them? You can’t. So don’t. Otherwise you must admit that people pay more for other games expansion because they want more. And that’s fair.
Different models for different people.

However is the gw2 playerbase that is kittened now, not the WoW playerbase.
And yeah, they are kittened, just look at Reddit. I can’t fathom the number of lost sales due to this marketing blunder.

Sorry ANET

Posted by: BartsBiggestFan.9740

BartsBiggestFan.9740

I’m not some one that enjoys paying for some thing I already have

You’re not. The core game wasn’t included in the price of the expansion.

Please understand i’m not having a go at you with this, I’m sorry if you get offended with this.

There’s no way the core game is “free” for $50USD dollars. GW1 stand alone games were $29.99/$59.99, added 2 classes with skills, and added a character slot.

With Eye Of The North been the only “expansion” (you had to have 1 of the games to make it work) at $20.0USD even that came with a character slot.

I just don’t think the expansion alone would be $50.0USD vs $20.0USD in the past. deluxe and the standard are a little off as well, it’s cheaper to buy the standard and then use gems to buy a character slot. I feel like they have made a mistake.

Sorry ANET

Posted by: Myrden.2456

Myrden.2456

Myrden, I’m not “blindly” shelling out my hard earned money. I’ve seen some (maybe most, who knows at this point) of the expansion already and what I’ve seen excited me. I’ve been waiting, along with many, many others for expanded weapons for a long time. The expansion looks great. The game is actually 60$ and the expansion is 50$ so you’re right, you’re not paying the same price for (admittedly) less content. Now if you compare it to the ridiculous sales price of 10$ then sorry man, you’re just never going to be pleased.

Compared to their competition, WoW, FF14 and perhaps ESO, they’re releasing expansions at around the same price point but GW2 hasn’t ever required a monthly subscription fee. So do the math and tell me whether or not this game is worth 60$ (3 years ago) + 50$ (soon). Compare that with FF14, for example, and you’d be paying, aside from the 110$ for the base and expac, 540$ of sub fees (36 X 15 for a round three years).

You’re angry. That’s pretty obvious, but this is a very reasonable price.

There you go again, assuming you know what is on my mind. I’m not angry at all. Not in the least. I am also not someone who just takes everything a company throws at me without voicing my displeasure. My issue with your post is not that you’re happy shelling out money for the expansion, but your insistence that you need to apologize for those of us who feel the price is too high for what they’re selling us. Tell me, would you spend $5 on a soda refill when the original glass cost $2?

Sorry ANET

Posted by: smitske.4912

smitske.4912

Its not about free stuff its how they go about all of this

In all fairness much of the outrage is not about the price tagg, I myself had counted on such a price tagg and planned on buying the game ASAP.
It is however that they decided to go with a bundle that is pretty much a big kitten you to the people that already have the basic game, their long time supportors + the fact that ever since they announced HOT they have been scamming people to buy the original game because “it was needed for HoT” and now they just say “yeah it is in there and you did not have to buy it seperately”, simply ripping off all those people that bought the original these last few months and making the people who got their friends to buy it look like kitten. The least they is make 2 bundels, one if you already have the original and one if you dont. Or discount sell the former, because lets face it no matter how many times they want to use the BS excuse we made the original free now, it isnt, its calculated in the price like with all marketing stunts and the players that supported their company from the start are being duped by that.
If they just put HoT as a single item, no original GW2 included and put it at 50 the IMO justified outrage would be a lot less, sure some people would still want a character slot, but a lot of people like myself would have gladly paid it, but not now I see how they chose to deal with it which is giving the middle finger to long time supporters aswell as ripping of people who recently bought the game. And unless they automatically refund each and every person automatically nothing will change the fact that Arenanet in my book have become frauds.

Sorry ANET

Posted by: Ms asian.2451

Ms asian.2451

I am on your side. Already purchased the $100 version. Been with Anet since GW1 dropped. But let me be honest, gamers aren’t angry because of things they did not receive free. Anet has done a poor job of PROPERLY conveying just what is inside their expac.
How many maps? How big are the maps?
What are the rest of the elite specs? Why would someone that only plays thief give them money when they have ZERO idea what they will get.
On the free side, Anet SHOULD include a character slot with every version. It’s simple gratitude towards the player.
I bought it, I am happy to do so, like you we will enjoy gliding through Tyria. But if they lose gamer population they have no one to blame but themselves.

I agree. Like I don’t mind paying the $50 as long as it comes with AT LEAST 1 character slot and a bank tab expansion would be fair to ask as well.

Sorry ANET

Posted by: Bensozia.8071

Bensozia.8071

S
Truth told, they could have charged 60$ for the expansion (and provided a character slot) and no one would have complained.

You dont speak for every one thats just YOUR opinion

Guardians of the Light [GOTL]
The Dragonfly Effect [Phi]
DragonBrand

Sorry ANET

sharkswithlazers.7632

Yeah, my opinion is a comparison of other MMOs and it holds water. HoT has a variety of great additions. It’s fully worth the 50$. For comparison, take a friend to Chili’s or some comparable restaurant and tell me that your tab for the meal is less than 50$. For one hour of enjoyment you can eat a meal out, or presumably for hundreds of hours or more you could play Heart of Thorns. I realize that you want the free stuff, but when you play a game without sub fees expect that they won’t be prepared to give you all the free stuff you’d like. GW1 players might have come to expect it, and I do sympathize with them, but GW2 is a more polished experience and it costs them money to publish it.

Like it or not, 50$ isn’t unreasonable. It’s economical in terms of dollars per hour enjoyed. So you didn’t get free stuff, you know what else would be economical? Putting 20$ on the game or even getting the 100$ ultimate addition and buying all the stuff you want. In terms of money spent vs hours of enjoyment, this is a very economical choice. If you don’t agree, why are you playing this game? If you really don’t think you could squeak out a couple dozen hours of fun, don’t buy it.

Sorry ANET

sharkswithlazers.7632

2 dozen hours of fun for 100$ is like 4$ an hour. I’m sure you could do the beach and stuff for cheaper, but when you look at games in terms of time played, it becomes a really efficient way to spend your money.

Sorry ANET

Posted by: RevanCorana.8942

RevanCorana.8942

Did you FORGET that GW2 has no monthly SUBSCRIBTION? Or are you just braindead.

Pay the expansion to support the devs and their no-subscritpion model. Vote with your wallet!
And it’s not like your’re doing charity you’ll get lot of new pve stuff and the new class which sounds really fun ( thief-like ressource management, ele-like “attunement” cooldowns, engi -like medpacks, etc…)

(edited by RevanCorana.8942)

Sorry ANET

Posted by: Omocha.4931

Omocha.4931

2 dozen hours of fun for 100$ is like 4$ an hour. I’m sure you could do the beach and stuff for cheaper, but when you look at games in terms of time played, it becomes a really efficient way to spend your money.

Both FF XIII episodes are available in my country for ~$18. That’s at least 50 hours of gaming, with a lot less bugs than ANet could be kitten d to fix inbetween shooting out zergs of minis.

Also, no matter what goes in terms of price comparison, ANet fails hard at

• content of their addons/exps compared to their own history/producs
  • the marketing politics on the topic, with the secrecy and lately the deceit

It’s not only the price. It’s the mentality behind these marketing decisions too. Small playable content (compared with their own previous releases). Buggy game (compared with their own previous release). Greed fueled packaging (the fact that not even the core game had enough slots for all classes should’ve hinted at their new business model). Also, after so many disappointments, starting from the promises they were making while still developing GW2 to the lies they even slapped on their FaQ… It’s a bit too much to trust anything they say/promise regarding the value of the product they’re selling.

Sorry ANET

sharkswithlazers.7632

Omocha, you’re comparing a new title to older ones. When they came out they were each 60$. Nice try.

Sorry ANET

sharkswithlazers.7632

Actually, sorry, Omocha, that was rude. I’m just amazed that after 3 years of Free updates and mini expansions to the game including new maps and traits and skills that people are so mad about an expansion that costs 10$ less than other mmo expansions. Despite the fact that it costs less, they are still giving a ton of it for free. Redone specializations, wvw and Lion’s Arch. I’m just saying, as a company, they’ve done right by their player base. We have gotten so much free stuff its staggering.

Sorry ANET

Omocha.4931

I’m comparing prices and content at release time, for both GW1 and GW2. GW2 needed (and will still need) a lot of skill balancing. In GW1 they were constantly doing it, especially in the pvp area, to give all a fair chance (and they had a bazillion skills to balance all the time). So specializations and skill balance isn’t really “bonus”. We still had free content in GW1 too (and btw! It was available even for ppl coming late in the game… I could only read about LWS1, and LWS2 was not free for people arriving late).

I’m also comparing the time and effort spent by ANet in GW1 to offer high quality, bug-free world. Not the logic-free, land-of-the-bugs which is Tyria 250 years later.

I’m also comparing the quality of the lore and lore related store stuff. Mini rock?! Not to mention same skins look better in GW1 than in GW2, both Lich and balthy weapons.

Prices were the same, content was exceedingly better. And you know… No one asked ANet back then for char slots. They gave them so the people can experience the new classes. And if memory serves, you didn’t have fewer char slots than classes available.

Quality on a down slope, riding on hype trains and the glory of days past.

Sorry ANET

Posted by: manticorevault.5431

manticorevault.5431

Please don’t speak for me, OP. And don’t apologize for me, either. You’re thrilled with the expansion and will slap down $50 per copy blindly … that’s great.

No one is saying that ANET employees don’t work hard and create a good product. And my problem with this is not the fact new players get it for free (though, it is kind of a stick in the eye to us veteran players). My issue is the price of the expansion does not match the scope of it. Yes, it has not arrived yet and we don’t fully know what it will entail. We DO know it will not be the same size and scale of the full game, which is cheaper than $50. Will the expansion have the same amount of content as the full game? No way it will.
Again, don’t apologize for me as I am not sorry for voicing my opinion. I – and hundreds (maybe thousands) — am not as thrilled as you to shell out this much for a patch.

My thoughts exactly.

Sorry ANET

Posted by: Test.8734

Test.8734

But, this is the first, long-awaited expansion that has a ton of content. It’s easily worth 50$

It’s not.

It’s not a “ton of content”, as far as we know.

It’s not “worth 50$”, as far as we know.

It’s nowhere near being as big as the original game, as far as we know.

Do you know who knows exactly how much content there is in the game? ArenaNet. And the fact they are not telling us right now, right after saying that people would have to buy the core game in order to play the expansion and then silently deleting this from their FAQ, is the best evidence we could have that the expansion is not worth 50$.

Sorry ANET

Posted by: Vix.6730

Vix.6730

That’s super great you and your wife spend money freely. There are some who consider the value of a product and it’s price tag before making a decision. The standard and deluxe versions are non-starters for any clear-thinking player who’s been around since launch. And this leaves just the Ultimate option at a price of $100. That’s $100 for expansion that appears to be closer to the shallow end of the pool. $30 for an expansion only release would solve everything, including the need to spend an extra $10 for an additional slot.

Sorry ANET

Posted by: rajule.8054

rajule.8054

I’m just amazed that after 3 years of Free updates and mini expansions to the game including new maps and traits and skills that people are so mad about an expansion that costs 10$ less than other mmo expansions. Despite the fact that it costs less, they are still giving a ton of it for free. Redone specializations, wvw and Lion’s Arch. I’m just saying, as a company, they’ve done right by their player base. We have gotten so much free stuff its staggering.

^This, in the base game we’ve gotten plenty of story updates and several new zones added for free. It stands to reason that the same will happen with the expansion so its not fair to compare just to what has been revealed so far.

I’m not surprised by the price at all. a lot of mmo expansions have sold for that price or more, and in wow’s case you pay a subscription on top of that, and the expansions don’t include the base game so it makes it very intimidating for a new player trying to catch up.

The things I’m not happy with are the bonus cosmetic items seem kind of meh for the price, and even though I don’t need it since I’m not a big alt person the lack of a character slot in the base pack sucks for a lot of people. It would probably be better if you were given 1 slot with the base expansion, but purchasing the deluxe or ultimate versions got you 2 or 3 slots.

I still intend to buy the expansion, but I don’t know if I want to shell out an extra 25 for a character slot I don’t need, and cosmetics I don’t really care about ( maybe the guild hall decoration..)

Sorry ANET

Posted by: Nightshade.2570

Nightshade.2570

Its a much bigger expansion then we expected.

Veteran players do not typically get “discounts” or “rewards” for expansions.

People had no problem paying extra for Alphas and Betas prepurchase packages in other games IE Archeage (which were much more expensive.) Diablo makes you buy both the core and expansion seperately.

The sad part is the only “mistake” Anet made is allowing new players to have the core game for free. By the reasoning on these threads, they should of charged seperately for the core game, as they did in GW1. Everything was seperate.

I want the Devs and people who work on this game to know, I am sorry that people feel entitled. They can’t appreciate this game as truly free to play. Your expansion is actually bigger then I expected, and I am blown away by what you are doing with guild halls.

Its beautiful, thank you for putting such passion into it.

Sorry ANET

Posted by: SkiTz.4590

SkiTz.4590

Sure, I understand that everyone wanted a character slot. I also get that people are mad that the expansion is 50$ and for some people that’s 50$ plus a free game (GW2 core) and to the vets its just 50$ and no character expansion.

But, this is the first, long-awaited expansion that has a ton of content. It’s easily worth 50$ and I don’t think even half of the people fighting this would be upset with that price if they hadn’t given GW2 core for free to new players. 50$ is reasonable for the content. The inclusion of the core doesn’t devalue anything. The core is being given free to players who are new because let’s face it, joining an established MMO is a daunting idea to new players. They’ll be noobs in a game full of vets who won’t have patience for their learning curve.

I’m really more frustrated that rather than coming together as a community, all excited about the expansion that will be released soon, we have so many people who are angry over a 10$ difference.

Tons of content? where?? Anet hasn’t even released half the details on whats coming.. no one has any idea because anet just cares about grabbing your money as fast as possible first, than worry about the backlash…

50 dollars is what I paid for base game of gw2… so will spending another 50 dollars get me equal content that gw2 released with? I DONT THINK SO.
The content in HoT is not even close to being on par of what a 50 dollar xpac should have.

Remember, a lot of the new features and stuff is being implented freely to the base game anyways, so what are we paying for in HoT? 1 new class , a couple new maps? you call this tons of content? I’m sorry but I along with many others don’t share your opinion one bit.

People blindly bending over to anet is whats wrong here…If customers think they are being treated unfairly, they have the right to voice their opinion..

Sorry ANET

Posted by: Anzriel.1398

Anzriel.1398

Its a much bigger expansion then we expected.

Veteran players do not typically get “discounts” or “rewards” for expansions.

People had no problem paying extra for Alphas and Betas prepurchase packages in other games IE Archeage (which were much more expensive.) Diablo makes you buy both the core and expansion seperately.

The sad part is the only “mistake” Anet made is allowing new players to have the core game for free. By the reasoning on these threads, they should of charged seperately for the core game, as they did in GW1. Everything was seperate.

I want the Devs and people who work on this game to know, I am sorry that people feel entitled. They can’t appreciate this game as truly free to play. Your expansion is actually bigger then I expected, and I am blown away by what you are doing with guild halls.

Its beautiful, thank you for putting such passion into it.

Funny thing, you call the players complaining ‘entitled’ I’m sure more than one of them will call your post ‘white knighting’. Can we just admit that some of have different opinion? Comparing what many of us, myself included, consider a bit too high of a price point to a cash-grab that most players regret doing such as an Archeage pre-order is just silly in my opinion. Saying that something people think is poor marketing isn’t bad because something else was worse does little good, how about instead of lowering standards we raise them? In the end until we know what kind of content will be released we don’t know if the 45 Euros or 50 dollars will be worth it to each of us, that’s why I’m waiting to see what else they reveal before I decide if I’m spending the money, and on which pack.

Sorry ANET

Omocha.4931

Remember, a lot of the new features and stuff is being implented freely to the base game anyways […]

People blindly bending over to anet is whats wrong here…If customers think they are being treated unfairly, they have the right to voice their opinion..

That’s the part that “justifies” all ANet’s defenders and even ANet to ignore the veterans because not all the games offer that much free content. But!
First, it felt like a teaser. The moment they got the right “formula” for the LWS, they placed a price tag on it. Also…

There are people caught between the veterans and the new players. Some that payed for LWS2, some that never got a taste of beating Scarlett’s baddies which still pay almost twice the price for very little extra.

Exaggerrating on any side is bad. ANet with the lies and slacking with balancing/fixing the game. ANet fans for inflating the proportions of a shabby expansion to biblical sizes and going buttocks kissing for mini rocks and mini rytlocks. And the ignored veterans for being ignored after supporting ANet so they can caugh dumb minis and NOT fix the game for 3 years…

Sorry ANET

Posted by: Taiyoroku.1028

Taiyoroku.1028

Ok im just gonna say that i totally agree with @sharkswithlazers.7632; me and my wife do the same thing 200 U.S, but this game is all about experiences, things that wont come again, like the destruction of L.A, and other things, yes it is somehow expensive, but keep in mind that is not a Monthly pay MMO, it wort 3 months of ESO and o boy thats a thing that im not gonna do again, please be happy and enjoy the game; good things are coming and who now maybe all the protest will bring even better things, for now im happy with it.

Sorry ANET

Posted by: HawkMeister.4758

HawkMeister.4758

Thar she blows!!

Whales, Dolphins and Minnows – the beating heart of a free-to-play game

Thank god I´m against whale hunting, I´d get rich in this thread. :p

Polish > hype

Sorry ANET

Posted by: FalconDance.1637

FalconDance.1637

I pre-ordered GW2 after beta-testing it. My guild formed up immediately (I’m not the gm). Most of the guild left, slowly, because the game was soooooooo buggy and nothing seemed to be getting fixed in lieu of the now-infamous karka invasion (which was a farcical lag fest, at the least) and continued content being rushed out.

Now, I check back occasionally because there are still guild members who play, and they tell me that (~3 years later) many of the bugs have been sorted out and gameplay has improved dramatically.

For those of you who insist that the Living Story was “free” content, you forget it was only free IF you logged in during that particular chapter. If, for some reason, you were unable to log in within the two week period (or however long), you must now pay for it. I have about half of it unlocked from logging in, but there is no real interest in unlocking the rest so I can play —- and that sentiment is from reading all the reviews, positive as well as negative. That makes me sad since I’ve played GW for a decade.

GW’s only expansion, Eye of the North, was reliant on your having one of the chapters of the game. You were not required to purchase it bundled with a “free” copy of the base game (Prophecies). There are bundled specials, of course, but it is not mandatory that it be bought with something else. And ALL chapters/expansion of GW brought massive influx of new content plus character slots to try out said new content afresh.

BirchFlower [RBW] – Sylvari ranger, Isle of Janthir
Lili BirchFlower, Adjutant, Royal Black Watch
http://www.royalblackwatch.net/

Sorry ANET

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

I’m with you OP. Only been playing GW2 for 10 months or so, and I’m amazingly happy here. I’m more than happy to continue supporting the development of this fantastic game to HoT and beyond!

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Sorry ANET

Posted by: Channel.9402

Channel.9402

Well the story of the king who paid for the invisible dress comes to mind, some people can still be happy while getting rip off.