Source for the number of maps?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I’ve seen a lot of people talking about how many maps will be in the expansion, ranging from 1 to 7.

But what I’d like to know is has anyone from Arenanet actually said how many there will be, or is this just speculation?

I watched the announcement, when they said each map would have 3 levels (canopy, floor and underground) but that doesn’t actually tell us anything about how many maps there will be. In spite of that a lot of people seem to think they know.

Does anyone know where these numbers are coming from?

Edit: To clarify by map I mean the area between loading screens. For example Metrica Province, Dry Top, Lornar’s Pass etc. I know it’s an arbitrary way of measuring the amount of content we’ll get, but what I was curious about was simply where people were getting the numbers they were quoting.

Edit: Short answer, no Anet haven’t said yet how many new maps there will be.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

(edited by Danikat.8537)

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

There have been no numbers announced. The only thing they have said is that there will be 3 biomes, which says a grand total of nothing at all about how many maps there will be.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

All we can really be sure about is that it will be more then one. Anet was as usual lacking in details.

Posted by: Crise.9401

Crise.9401

There is no official source on the number of maps.

The official wording is that there will be one new region (the Heart of Maguuma, if memory serves) with three distinct biomes. How many maps each biome consists of is unknown us.

We do know that the three biomes are defined by verticality and that verticality will be a big theme.

Edit: ninja’ed

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

Three main maps.

Keep in mind that in the current Gw2 a main map ore main zones consist of multiple zones collectively.

So that’s a good start to estimate.

Posted by: Crise.9401

Crise.9401

Keep in mind that in the current Gw2 a main map ore main zones consist of multiple zones collectively.

Well a region, such as Kryta consists of multiple maps/zones such as Queensdale.

Can’t really call the three areas of the jungle regions though, since geographically they could even be on top of each other. Their use of the word biome was a smart choice in my opinion.

Posted by: Raap.9065

Raap.9065

They stated that the new map*s* (read the HoT website) will have 3 layers; Underground, surface, and canopy. We also know they will support flying, suggesting that the size of these maps will be large (otherwise you’d fly into invisible map border walls all the time).

But for the exact number of maps, we can only speculate. My personal guess is that since they specifically mention the ’heart’ of the Maguuma jungle, that we will only have in-land zones and not coastal ones, and then looking at the world map, that realistically only leaves room for about 3 to 6 maps of Brisban size, with a small possibility of a few minor non-flying ’connector’ maps similar to GW1/Dry Top/Silverwastes.

The important part to remember here is that ArenaNet claims the new maps will have 3 different layers, compared to the core GW2 maps which are all flat planes and where underground parts rarely have a surface playable area on top of them.

Swift Mending – Guardian
Thorny Scrub – Thief
Desolation

(edited by Raap.9065)

Posted by: displacedTitan.6897

displacedTitan.6897

There is no source for numbers of new maps. Also new maps is a totally bullkitten metric anyway. What matters is the SIZE of the new lands that are being released, who cares if its one giant map as long as there is enough space and content. People who play MMOs sure do like to nitpick over things.

I keep seeing people talking about WoW expansions adding so many maps and dungeons. People seem to forget the amount of copy paste that went into the expansions as well as how tiny many of those maps really are. Go back and play them sometime, oh and also while you are there note how dead 99% of all maps in WoW currently are.

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

I’m very interested in this answer as well. There seems to be some confusion. The fact they’re promoting underground, ground, and above ground content is kind of strange to me given we’ve already experienced it in Silverwastes.

Zone, region, continent . . . wish they’d just say how much and how many. But, as Displaced says, if it’s one huge, and monster, map, it’ll be moot.

Gone to Reddit.

(edited by Ardenwolfe.8590)

Posted by: SkylightMoon.1980

SkylightMoon.1980

Colin said 1 new region = Heart of Maguuma. A region in gw2 is not the same as a zone. Ascalon, Shiverpeaks, and Kryta are all regions. They all contain 5-7 zones which inclines me to believe it will have 5-7 zones. Im just curious as to how much of magus falls and the maguuma wastes will be covered by the new region. Hopefully all ^.^

Posted by: veggies.2178

veggies.2178

There is no source for numbers of new maps. Also new maps is a totally bullkitten metric anyway. What matters is the SIZE of the new lands that are being released, who cares if its one giant map as long as there is enough space and content. People who play MMOs sure do like to nitpick over things.

I keep seeing people talking about WoW expansions adding so many maps and dungeons. People seem to forget the amount of copy paste that went into the expansions as well as how tiny many of those maps really are. Go back and play them sometime, oh and also while you are there note how dead 99% of all maps in WoW currently are.

Drytop, Cursed shores, Southsun…..not to mention all the rest of not-silverwaste maps,…..when was last time you been to say…….metrica province for more than 10 minutes…??

Axyd — [TWIN]

Posted by: Chuck.8196

Chuck.8196

Colin said 1 new region = Heart of Maguuma. A region in gw2 is not the same as a zone. Ascalon, Shiverpeaks, and Kryta are all regions. They all contain 5-7 zones which inclines me to believe it will have 5-7 zones. Im just curious as to how much of magus falls and the maguuma wastes will be covered by the new region. Hopefully all ^.^

But those 5-7 zones ranged from level 1 to 80 (in some) This content is all geared towards level 80 so 1,2, maybe 3 if were lucky. Gotta remember this “expansion” is a glorified collection of living story updates. no new race to level up or story to tell

a·chieve·ment – a thing done successfully, typically by effort, courage, or skill
re·ward – a thing given in recognition of one’s service, effort, or achievement
en·ti·tle·ment – the belief one is inherently deserving of privileges or special treatment

Posted by: SkylightMoon.1980

SkylightMoon.1980

But those 5-7 zones ranged from level 1 to 80 (in some) This content is all geared towards level 80 so 1,2, maybe 3 if were lucky. Gotta remember this “expansion” is a glorified collection of living story updates. no new race to level up or story to tell

I don’t see any relevance of them being all 80 zones. It makes no difference tbh. And this seems much more than a living story update. We never got features this big in the living story updates.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Thanks everyone.

So the short answer (edited into the first post for reference) is that there is no official word on how many maps there will be, it’s all speculation at this point.

Also edited the first post to clarify what I meant by a map.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

(edited by Danikat.8537)

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

Well a region, such as Kryta consists of multiple maps/zones such as Queensdale.

Can’t really call the three areas of the jungle regions though, since geographically they could even be on top of each other. Their use of the word biome was a smart choice in my opinion.

Same concept but each region is over top of each other instead of next to each other.

Each “Biome” would be made up of zones like Regions already are.