Specializations and versatility

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Jaws.1569

Jaws.1569

So specializations are going for versatility over power, which is fantastic, but makes me wonder, how will they let us feel stronger and improved in the future if these systems are the groundwork for the future. Will multiple specializations combine in the future to create a more powerful class, or maybe they’ll give us extra elite skill slots, or utility?

One thing’s for sure, I absolutely love that there won’t be any more levels or gear tiers, that was brilliant on their end.

Edit: I didn’t word that very well, I apologize. I understand that horizontal progression is their goal, and I believe it’s going to turn out great! However, over time, maybe the game will need some vertical progression too, or just something that makes you feel more powerful, but without touching the stats system, ya know, like bigger fireballs, greater effects from abilities, even if visual. Progression comes in many forms

(edited by Jaws.1569)

Posted by: Nate.3927

Nate.3927

they are not meant to make you feel stronger. Rather they are meant to make you feel that you now have more viable options.

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

we simply won’t get any stronger than we are now. we’ll just get different types of strong.

though the mastery system could be interpreted as “getting stronger”, since there are combat-related masteries.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

Posted by: Jaws.1569

Jaws.1569

we simply won’t get any stronger than we are now. we’ll just get different types of strong.

though the mastery system could be interpreted as “getting stronger”, since there are combat-related masteries.

True, I’m just referring to the potential feeling that we’re getting more options, but not much stronger. It’s more of an rpg-progression feeling I’m referring to, you know, going from a little commoner to a god etc.

Of course I could be wrong and these specializations could make us feel a sense of getting stronger after-all, in which case awesome!

Posted by: Ghnol.2071

Ghnol.2071

Am I the only one in here that thinks about us getting a freakin’ Wraith King? (necro/greatsword combo)

Posted by: MaXi.3642

MaXi.3642

True, I’m just referring to the potential feeling that we’re getting more options, but not much stronger. It’s more of an rpg-progression feeling I’m referring to, you know, going from a little commoner to a god etc.

Of course I could be wrong and these specializations could make us feel a sense of getting stronger after-all, in which case awesome!

you didn’t read what others tell you? specializations aren’t something what makes you more powerful, they are here to allow for more specializations, are different skills making you more powerful? no… are different trait lines making you more powerful? no… and specialization is exactly the same thing, it changes how your character play, not making it more powerful… got it now?

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

So specializations are going for versatility over power, which is fantastic, but makes me wonder, how will they let us feel stronger and improved in the future if these systems are the groundwork for the future.

That’s exactly how – by making you more versatile, not by directly increasing your power. Horizontal progression, not vertical one.
Well, that and the mastery system.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

ok, let me reword that:

as far as raw power goes, you reached your limit. you’re as strong as a mortal can hope to be (and no, you probably won’t ascend in this game). specializations are about capitalizing on that power in different ways. you won’t get that “i’m stronger than before!” feeling from them, but you’ll know new things.

masteries, however, might scratch that itch for you. you might come across a specific mordrem that just shrugs off your every hit. you can’t face him right now, so you back off. you invest in a specific mastery line that makes you more effective against those enemies, and come back to fight that same mordrem. now you finally feel like you can take it down. in that sense, you became “stronger”.

if that doesn’t work out for you, then i worry GW2 is not your kind of game, because guild wars as a franchise has always been about versatility instead of growing power. in GW1 you reached the cap of 20 (!!!) within a few hours of playing the campaign, but you weren’t nearly done scratching the surface of the game’s depth.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

Posted by: Quells.2498

Quells.2498

You said it in the title, versatility. Sums it up perfectly.

Leader of Contre [VS], just a bunch of zen adults
focus on Dungeons, Fractals and Raiding.