Specilizations and the new traits

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Gagle Dan.6571

Gagle Dan.6571

This system looks way inferior to the current 1 where i can for example have to minor traits instead of an adept because those 2 are better for my build. I am sorry anet but i have all my traits and skills already i don’t want to spend hours trying to get them again and wasting my time instead of enjoying the game. This looks like some kind of kittened grind for something most of us already have. Sure make us work for the new ones but the current stuff we have we should keep. The limited selection has me really worried for trying to make good builds the game already has the problem that sometimes you have to go into a sub par tree to get that nice grand master you want and this looks like that will only be getting worse.

Posted by: Flydragon.7146

Flydragon.7146

@Gagle Dan
I understand your point of view. For the main story, I agree to a certain degree… I wanna keep my builds the way they are. It would be real nice if Anet could implement a sorta ‘Save build’ feature so U can just press a button click to revert your build to ur original liking.
BUT for the new story campaign(Hot), it may be better to use the new traits n specializations… We’ll just have to wait n see what they have to offer.
On my part, I cant wait to see the changes; Im the type that likes to do customization, so I hope they have new Sigils n Runes as well in their expansion

Posted by: Crey.5263

Crey.5263

So you are afraid of change? You think a game that prides itself on a living story and is setting itself to add more and more new content over time really should limit itself because you aren’t willing to adapt?

Posted by: Gagle Dan.6571

Gagle Dan.6571

Its not that i don’t like change there are some points of the new system that are good but I don’t want so be doing map completion on my alts instead of playing HoT because I need more hero points to get stuff i basically already had (it looks like they are not actual adding new traits in the current lines but just combining and reworking current ones).

Posted by: Tabootrinket.2631

Tabootrinket.2631

Since we don’t have a lot of information here, it’s just a feeling but, the specialization system doesn’t look that good to me.

Basically, it feels like they’re using the current trait system, and make them simpler and more restrictive. The screens looks like a cool way to show that you can only have 3 available traits for each trait level. Would be great if they were totally new abilities, but they awfully look a lot like what’s currently already here (based on the ele trait display). Then again, it’s just the impression I get from that little piece of information available.

But what I really hate is that apparently, weapon skills stay exactly the same. I found it odd the developpers never specifically said “brand new utility skills”, or mentionned any new or revamped, or even slightly tweaked weapon skills. They always just said, “brand new skills”. Which in this case seems to be utility and elite only (as I feared).

Now we still have the profession specific skills, but only having that changed is kind of a let-down seeing how in some professions, this skill can be quite minor if you choose certain builds.

From that news, the specialization system looks more like a build balance update than an addition to what’s already there.

So yeah I don’t have a good feeling about all of this for now, not to mention their obsession to make things simpler, which leads to more restrictive choices.

I wish I’m wrong, and I’m looking forward to more updates about the specialization system.

(edited by Tabootrinket.2631)

Posted by: RabbitUp.8294

RabbitUp.8294

Since we don’t have a lot of information here, it’s just a feeling but, the specialization system doesn’t look that good to me.

Basically, it feels like they’re using the current trait system, and make them simpler and more restrictive. The screens looks like a cool way to show that you can only have 3 available traits for each trait level. Would be great if they were totally new abilities, but they awfully look a lot like what’s currently already here (based on the ele trait display). Then again, it’s just the impression I get from that little piece of information available.

But what I really hate is that apparently, weapon skills stay exactly the same. I found it odd the developpers never specifically said “brand new utility skills”, or mentionned any new or revamped, or even slightly tweaked weapon skills. They always just said, “brand new skills”. Which in this case seems to be utility and elite only (as I feared).

Now we still have the profession specific skills, but only having that changed is kind of a let-down seeing how in some professions, this skill can be quite minor if you choose certain builds.

From that news, the specialization system looks more like a build balance update than an addition to what’s already there.

So yeah I don’t have a good feeling about all of this for now, not to mention their obsession to make things simpler, which leads to more restrictive choices.

I wish I’m wrong, and I’m looking forward to more updates about the specialization system.

What do you mean by new weapon skills? They never said existing weapons would get any significant (non-numerical) changes. The expansion promised new ways to further customize your profession (elite specialization) and a trait system revamp.

Your new elite spec does give you access to a single new weapon and thus new weapon skills, along with other skills (heal, utilities, elite), and tweaks to profession mechanics.

Posted by: Exo.2965

Exo.2965

3 full trait lines – maybe good.
Smaller amounts of traits (and build variabilities) – bad.
Impossible to replace Grand Master trait with the Lesser One – bad.
Separating Traits and Stats – maybe good. Where can we find our 30% Condi/Boon duration? Will it be implemented on our gear or just lost?

Posted by: Tabootrinket.2631

Tabootrinket.2631

What do you mean by new weapon skills? They never said existing weapons would get any significant (non-numerical) changes. The expansion promised new ways to further customize your profession (elite specialization) and a trait system revamp.

Your new elite spec does give you access to a single new weapon and thus new weapon skills, along with other skills (heal, utilities, elite), and tweaks to profession mechanics.

Yep they never said that. And to me it’s a bad thing to keep locking the weapon skills to this set we’ve been forced all this time. That’s all.
The specialization doesn’t feel like good way to bring fresh air to the existing system. Furthermore it looks like a way to restrict build diversity even more.

1 new weapon for each class seems like a lazy way to provide “new gameplay”.
We’ve been able to play with Caithe in the living story. They could have based the specialization on that. Caithe looked like a tweaked version of the dual dagger thieves.
Giving new properties to weapon skills while in specialization would have made them interesting.

But changing just the traits and utility feels like something that should have been done through just a weekly update patch and not an expansion.

Then again, this is how I felt while reading the update, I’m waiting for more concrete information to pass on a real judgement on the specialization system.

(edited by Tabootrinket.2631)