[Spoiler] So when you first saw the end boss for HoT...

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: AVM.5746

AVM.5746

What was your reaction?

Mine was, “Wow… He’s gotta lay off the buckets of fried chicken.”

Posted by: lordhelmos.7623

lordhelmos.7623

I didn’t say anything. I just laughed. Then I couldn’t take the game seriously anymore.

Really, this dark atmosphere of death and foreboding… all caused by fat sam? Please…

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

I was really excited because I thought this would be the first phase of an epic fight.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Posted by: lordhelmos.7623

lordhelmos.7623

There was a critical error in the translation of his name. His real name is actually Lardoss.

Posted by: Aveneo.2068

Aveneo.2068

I expected him to look more alien and closer to the original concept art. I didn’t expect him to be changed into a generic chinese dragon with a single bramble vine wrapped around his body…

Attachments:

Valiant Aislinn – Aveneo Lightbringer – Shalene Amuriel – Dread Cathulu
Fojja – Vyxxi – Nymmra – Mymmra – Champion of Dwayna .. and more

Highly Over Powered Explorers [HOPE] – Desolation EU

Posted by: Amantis.4091

Amantis.4091

I expected him to look more alien and closer to the original concept art. I didn’t expect him to be changed into a generic chinese dragon with a single bramble vine wrapped around his body…

Not the mouth of mordy, ACTUAL Mordy.

Anyways, I saw this

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

in the word of Anakin Skywalker: “You’re shorter than i expected.”
especially after we got that awesome cinematic with the huuuuuuge mordremoth.

Posted by: Felix.7586

Felix.7586

Anyways, I saw this

You realize Mouth of Mordy is very much the actual Mordy? It’s said as much throughout the meta and the final mission itself

I feel like I must be the only person in the planet that saw Mindremoth and went “oh cool!”

Posted by: Shiro Tegachii.5619

Shiro Tegachii.5619

I was really really disappointed that he’s a freaking humenoid and not a dragon, everything went perfect until the end, no effort what so ever, on the other hand mouth of mordramoth was epiiiiicc

Posted by: Ranlares.2513

Ranlares.2513

I like it. I hated it at first but after doing the dragons stand events i like the way the dragon looks and don’t mind his mind form as much. You have to keep that in mind, that wasn’t him really, just the iteration of him made to fight you in his mind

Posted by: Felix.7586

Felix.7586

I like it. I hated it at first but after doing the dragons stand events i like the way the dragon looks and don’t mind his mind form as much. You have to keep that in mind, that wasn’t him really, just the iteration of him made to fight you in his mind

Exactly, it’s just like how the Pale Tree speaks to us as a glowing sylvari

Posted by: Imperios.2543

Imperios.2543

“So that is where Darth Baras went after I defeated him!”

Posted by: Yiru.2384

Yiru.2384

“Ok .. so and the true form of the water dragon is a quaggan.”

Posted by: Pistol Joe.3741

Pistol Joe.3741

that veggie diet didnt do him any good lol

Beer Belly Joe – SoS NA

Posted by: Pistol Joe.3741

Pistol Joe.3741

that ley line rocks diet didnt do him any good lol

Beer Belly Joe – SoS NA

Posted by: Jordo.5913

Jordo.5913

Anyways, I saw this

You realize Mouth of Mordy is very much the actual Mordy? It’s said as much throughout the meta and the final mission itself

I feel like I must be the only person in the planet that saw Mindremoth and went “oh cool!”

your both wrong….the mouth of mordremoth is a part of mordremoth, but not mordremoth himself, mouth of morde was trying to consume rocks of ley line energy to feed back to him…..just like the mouths of zhaitan were a part of zhaitan and were eating ancient artifacts to feed zhaitan

then the Mordremoth you fight in the personal story is Mordremoth representing himself that way in his mind, you never fight mordremoth in the actual physical realm, much less ever see his true body

Posted by: nacario.9417

nacario.9417

Anyways, I saw this

your both wrong….the mouth of mordremoth is a part of mordremoth, but not mordremoth himself, mouth of morde was trying to consume rocks of ley line energy to feed back to him…..just like the mouths of zhaitan were a part of zhaitan and were eating ancient artifacts to feed zhaitan

then the Mordremoth you fight in the personal story is Mordremoth representing himself that way in his mind, you never fight mordremoth in the actual physical realm, much less ever see his true body

And thats because mordremoth is all, the nature is his form, he can reach out from anywhere in maguuma

Power Ranger PvP
I used to be a power ranger, now not sure anymore

Posted by: Ranlares.2513

Ranlares.2513

And thats because mordremoth is all, the nature is his form, he can reach out from anywhere in maguuma

Which I think is silly for then to do since they are the Elder “Dragons”

Posted by: Odokuro.5049

Odokuro.5049

The Mordremoth you all see in the Final battle is NOT him, but an illusion conjured up by his own mind to fight you in the Dream, he is very much a Dragon in his physical form…

The Self-Proclaimed Pervy Sage of Yaks Bend.
https://www.twitch.tv/amazinphelix

Posted by: InsidiousWaffle.7086

InsidiousWaffle.7086

I guess that this was just the best way that they could figure out to have a fight that was better than the zhaitan one. Maybe in the next expansion

Posted by: Lome.8239

Lome.8239

I didn’t say anything. I just laughed. Then I couldn’t take the game seriously anymore.

Really, this dark atmosphere of death and foreboding… all caused by fat sam? Please…

Plot twist: This guy just wants his chance to be dramatic.

Posted by: acathar.5468

acathar.5468

The final fight with him is a projection of himself. You fight his brain basically. The maguuma jungle dries up ever so often which implies that the entire jungle is him. When he wakes up the vines and trees and everything is him. You aren’t fighting through the jungle but you are fighting through him. Mordy IS the jungle. So in reality he is massive, just a case of you can’t see the dragon for the jungle unless you open your mind.

(edited by acathar.5468)

Posted by: Walhalla.5473

Walhalla.5473

After seeing Mindremoth? Hmm aren’t you a bit too small for an Elder dragon?
After seeing the Main Body of Mordremoth. Holy kitten, that Thing must have its own Gravity and Anet expect us to kill THIS?

Posted by: Zalani.9827

Zalani.9827

^I expected him to look like this.
Right now he’s kinda a chubby drake with arms and legs. But I don’t mind the mouth that much.

Jadis Narnia-Sylvari Ranger of [EDGE]
Dragonbrand

Posted by: Tora.7214

Tora.7214

At the culminating part of the story is revealed that Mordremorth roots have extended so much that he has basically becomes the whole jungle, is even confirmed (by Faolan or Trahearne’s forgot wich) that all the pact/players walking on on the jungle are like fleas walking.on a dog’s back, with mordremorth being that dog, so it was imposible to physically kill him. In fact, in the first map if you jump down to the lowest ground posible you can see.that.is.filled by giant vines that pulsate like veins. the only way was to strike his mind down.

One would ve though that atleast he would have make a more impresive mind avatar to fight you, gotta admit though, chubby and all, he was agile (that claw swipe barrage)

(edited by Tora.7214)

Posted by: Aguri.2896

Aguri.2896

My reaction to Mordremoth from the story: Game sucks, isn’t even an elder dragon.
My reaction to Mouth of Mordremoth: Holy kitten this is awesome, best game ever!

What I want to know is if you are an all powerful, giant serpent dragon why you would choose to see yourself as Barney the Dinosaur’s creepy uncle in your own mind.

I’m only here because sometimes I just like to watch things burn.

Posted by: Pride.1734

Pride.1734

First reaction?
Ahahahahaha
listens to the music ….. all good

Posted by: Tora.7214

Tora.7214

My reaction to Mordremoth from the story: Game sucks, isn’t even an elder dragon.
My reaction to Mouth of Mordremoth: Holy kitten this is awesome, best game ever!

What I want to know is if you are an all powerful, giant serpent dragon why you would choose to see yourself as Barney the Dinosaur’s creepy uncle in your own mind.

^ this.

Just theorizing here, but my guess is that the mind pools you opened on his mind previously to that encounter weakened his mind so much that that avatar was the best he could create. Maybe thats the reason why he keep summoning hero copies to aid him since he knew that form alone wouldnt be strong enough to defeat the player (this is strenghed by the way his summons buff him when under his control)

(edited by Tora.7214)

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I don’t even know why he made a smallish bipedal avatar at all. He should have been shadows and vines, swarms of dinos, the terrain itself around us. Basically the jungle in miniature, with that shadowy face thing from the cinematic surfacing here and there. We should get areas from our characters’ pasts — not just our Order mentor, actual scenes, like a distorted LA from sneaking Demi out only with jungle twining all through it. It should be an unreal/surreal nightmare, not a coherent platform fight against a solid foe.

The fight itself is fun (when it doesn’t bug), the cinematics are cool, I didn’t want Trahearne to die but at least he did so heroically and with meaning … but a battle in a Mind could be so much more that what we got. One example might be the movie The Cell http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0209958/ which was disturbing but paid heed to the idea that normal rules of physics and continuity don’t apply in a mental battle. Or Robin Williams’ What Dreams May Come for a less dark feeling. I cite movies rather than books since GW2 is a primarily visual medium of story telling, but there are plenty of fantasy and SF books out there where mental landscapes get explored.

Posted by: Argon.1563

Argon.1563

For somebody who eats a lot of salad, Mordy sure is overweight.

No wonder it was so easy for me to kill him, he couldn’t move fast enough to get out of the way of my blade.

The monster who murdered thousands in Lion’s Arch via Scarlet, dropped the Zephyrites, brought down the Pact Fleet and made me treck through miles of jungle looks like a furry who hasn’t washed his suit in a year. My eyes were wide with “Who the hell is this.” when Mordremoth revealed himself. Just, no.

(edited by Argon.1563)

Posted by: hardy.7469

hardy.7469

His actual form is the entire forest. Every vine you see is a part of him.

As for his form when you fight him in his mind… Yeah it could’ve been better designed. Either that or they are implying Mordremoth doesn’t view himself as a big strong dragon, but a tubby demon thing.
Maybe Mordy is just lashing out because he’s sad and hates himself?

Posted by: Clerical.3457

Clerical.3457

Mordy reminded me of Subject Alpha from CoE.Remember when agent spire mentioned that subject alpha was the second ugliest thing she’s seen..maybe mordy is first :P

Distinction in Applied Lagging

Posted by: Ausfer.1853

Ausfer.1853

I was so disappointed. Here I thought I was going to kill a big elder dragon when instead I killed some humanoid plant thing not much bigger than a norn.

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

Oh… Glad I was not the only one… Posted this just a while ago on reddit:

Honestly, when I sum up my overall ratings of Zhaitan and Mordremoth fights, it’s a tie. Why? Because Zhaitan was (more or less, as much as a video game can deliver) a scary epic dragon and the “fight” was epic; the mechanics and my contribution – eh, not so much.

But when I look at Mordremoth, all I see is an overfed jungle potato; despite the nice fight mechanics and amazing atmosphere and those sylvari racial moments, I just couldn’t take this fight seriously because of his looks, which reminded me of some small, chubby, chibi-style pokemons and not epic dragons at all.

Yes, I understand it is an “avatar” and “everything” was Mordremoth (maybe at least having it named “Avatar of…” and not “Mordremoth” could help?) But seriously, what was the problem? We had epic cutscenes with awesome vine dragon-like creatures and tall Mordrem Guards, we had Shadow of the Salad; if Mordy is “everything”, it could even be a vined shapeshifter growing from the platform (as in the trailer); the Avatar of The Pale Tree is slender and not “funny” – so what was the reason we got some Chinese money frog/humanoid drake/high-poly pokemon for the final boss?

I can live with the fact that we killed Mordremoth – even though I do hope it was not a “rushed story” but just the “beginning” of the true fight with Mordremoth who let us think we defeated it – but those looks… I just cannot take the whole story even remotely seriously, even with it being just a video game and all.

I do hope they redesign the looks of this boss… Just make it more slender, fix the proportions – and even this should work. The way it is now… eeewh.

20 level 80s and counting.

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

Which I think is silly for then to do since they are the Elder “Dragons”

The Elder Dragons seem tied to the Eternal Alchemy as a cutscene showed us back in Season 2. If you think about it, each seems to be a corrupted version of something. Zhaitan was corrupted life, thus undead. Mordremoth was corrupted plants, thus his form. I think we’re going to find out that the Elder Dragons themselves are physical manifestations of the world itself, only corrupted by some force. Wouldn’t surprise me if the final expansion has us finding said corruption and neutralizing it permanently.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

Posted by: Vennyhedgie.5369

Vennyhedgie.5369

Oh… Glad I was not the only one… Posted this just a while ago on reddit:

Honestly, when I sum up my overall ratings of Zhaitan and Mordremoth fights, it’s a tie. Why? Because Zhaitan was (more or less, as much as a video game can deliver) a scary epic dragon and the “fight” was epic; the mechanics and my contribution – eh, not so much.

But when I look at Mordremoth, all I see is an overfed jungle potato; despite the nice fight mechanics and amazing atmosphere and those sylvari racial moments, I just couldn’t take this fight seriously because of his looks, which reminded me of some small, chubby, chibi-style pokemons and not epic dragons at all.

Yes, I understand it is an “avatar” and “everything” was Mordremoth (maybe at least having it named “Avatar of…” and not “Mordremoth” could help?) But seriously, what was the problem? We had epic cutscenes with awesome vine dragon-like creatures and tall Mordrem Guards, we had Shadow of the Salad; if Mordy is “everything”, it could even be a vined shapeshifter growing from the platform (as in the trailer); the Avatar of The Pale Tree is slender and not “funny” – so what was the reason we got some Chinese money frog/humanoid drake/high-poly pokemon for the final boss?

I can live with the fact that we killed Mordremoth – even though I do hope it was not a “rushed story” but just the “beginning” of the true fight with Mordremoth who let us think we defeated it – but those looks… I just cannot take the whole story even remotely seriously, even with it being just a video game and all.

I do hope they redesign the looks of this boss… Just make it more slender, fix the proportions – and even this should work. The way it is now… eeewh.

So you’re complaining cause he’s fat?
I dunn about you but a chubby gator sounds more dragony than a skinny plant avatar which would still look like a sylvari

I actually really liked him. Although he looked more cute than menacing to me indeed.

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

Didn’t get a good look because I was too worried about not dying, really didn’t want to repeat that fight

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

Posted by: ZeDoctorCaptain.7213

ZeDoctorCaptain.7213

Mouth of Mordremoth outside and the Mordremoth you see in the instance are both the same dragon. The only difference here is that Mouth of Mordremoth IS Mordremoth. The humanoid guy is his avatar, like how the Pale Tree has one.

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

Him being humanoid is sad. Him being fat on top of it is funny. Why would they even make him like that?

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: Walhalla.5473

Walhalla.5473

I think what we saw in his Mind, was how Mordremoth looked before becoming an Elder Dragon. Why else should he choose this Form?^^
We know that Elder Dragons can be replaced but we don’t know how they came to Existence, perhaps he replaced another ED who reigned over the Jungle.

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Anyways, I saw this

Mouth of Mordremoth is called Mordremoth in the meta event. In the final instance, Mordremoth says “Armies cannot stop me!” (if you’re sylvari) and Canach replies that Mordremoth is distracted by the battle outside – referring to the Dragon’s Stand meta event.

Mouth of Mordremoth IS Mordremoth’s physical body. The point of killing the mind is that Mordremoth can regrow his physical body (aka the Mouth of Mordremoth) from his corruption (this is what Trahearne says).

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Posted by: MarioDX.9423

MarioDX.9423

I don’t think I ever laughed as hard as I did reading the comments here. well played guys!

Posted by: Sykper.6583

Sykper.6583

I might be the only one who thinks it is fitting.

Mordremoth doesn’t care for what you think of him, rather he knows he is all powerful. His form is what he perceives himself as, well-fed on the Ley Line and entirely comfortable with the current status quo of how the war is going up to the point where you killed him.

If he took a more menacing/dangerous looking form, it would indicate that he feels fearful and actually has to take you the Commander of the Pact seriously. Perhaps that same ego is what killed him in the end.

Suicidal Warrior.
Putting Perspective on Zerg Sizes since 2012. Common Suffixes for 40+ include ~Zilla and ~Train
“Seriously, just dodge.”

Posted by: Nate.3927

Nate.3927

I might be the only one who thinks it is fitting.

Mordremoth doesn’t care for what you think of him, rather he knows he is all powerful. His form is what he perceives himself as, well-fed on the Ley Line and entirely comfortable with the current status quo of how the war is going up to the point where you killed him.

If he took a more menacing/dangerous looking form, it would indicate that he feels fearful and actually has to take you the Commander of the Pact seriously. Perhaps that same ego is what killed him in the end.

Personally I think:

Mordy = Plant
Plants like having enough sunlight and nutrients to grow as big and as fat as possible
Therefore for Mordy, fat = beautiful, fat = powerful
That’s why the avatar is the way it is

Posted by: Moderator

Edited due to spoiler in thread title.