Stop running DirectX 9 in the expansion?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Havoc.5840

Havoc.5840

As the title says, will ANet finally update their game to run either DirectX10 or 11 with the release of the expansion?

Im wondering because there are times in WvWvW that i drop to maybe 15 fps with a i7, 680 gtx and 16gb of ram, which really shouldn’t ever happen.

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

As the title says, will ANet finally update their game to run either DirectX10 or 11 with the release of the expansion?

Im wondering because there are times in WvWvW that i drop to maybe 15 fps with a i7, 680 gtx and 16gb of ram, which really shouldn’t ever happen.

All topics about this have gone silent, Anet is too scared to answer.

Posted by: DesolateDunes.9526

DesolateDunes.9526

I know my answer won’t be constructive but..

When I started WvW I also encountered a large fps drop when I played a melee profession. Luckily for me, later, I figured that I’m not a melee guy and since then I enjoy ranged professions and builds and don’t have any lag whatsoever since I’m away from the core battle.

If you have lag…I don’t know, uhmm, lower your graphics a notch. That could be an temporary fix.

Posted by: anzenketh.3759

anzenketh.3759

Guild Wars 2 engine is a modified Guild Wars 1 engine. They will need to re-write a lot of the engine to support DirectX 10. Basically they would have to re-program the the game engine.

There are many more things that are higher priority as the benefit to providing DirectX 10 may not be that beneficial.

Offloading more stuff to the GPU on the other hand. Improving the AI. Those are items that will have great impact on the game.

In Game: Storm Bluff Isle — Anzz, Anzenketh Kyoto

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

DX9 is fine. The game already looks better than most mmo’s.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

(edited by Windu The Forbidden One.6045)

DX9 is fine. The already looks better than most mmo’s.

When i read commends like that, i want to murder someone.. Total ignorance.

Please AN… add iq test to forum, anyone who falls under 100iq shouldnt have rights to speak.

Whoaa cowboy! Put that pistol down. There’s no need for statements like this.

There should be means to keep people like him out.
“ZOMG people with a different opinion!! Die in a fire!!!”

~Sincerely, Scissors

Havoc.5840

I know my answer won’t be constructive but..

When I started WvW I also encountered a large fps drop when I played a melee profession. Luckily for me, later, I figured that I’m not a melee guy and since then I enjoy ranged professions and builds and don’t have any lag whatsoever since I’m away from the core battle.

If you have lag…I don’t know, uhmm, lower your graphics a notch. That could be an temporary fix.

I play with everything on minimal / off with exception to render distance so it comes down to the game technically.

Posted by: Scoobaniec.9561

Scoobaniec.9561

Please AN… add iq test to forum, anyone who falls under 100iq shouldnt have rights to speak.

Do you even knows what dx is? Educate yourself please if you do not understand basic things. Does anyone asked about better graphic? No. Does OP mentioned fps issues due to poor and old dx9? Yes. Ofc you have no idea what im speaking about so lets end it here cause for you dx9 is fine. I guess win XP is fine as well.

Educate yourself please if you do not understand basic things.

Don’t be a condescending sod please if you do not know how to discuss things normally.

~Sincerely, Scissors

(edited by Windu The Forbidden One.6045)

Posted by: Scoobaniec.9561

Scoobaniec.9561

Do you even knows what dx is? Educate yourself please if you do not understand basic things. Does anyone asked about better graphic? No. Does OP mentioned fps issues due to poor and old dx9? Yes. Ofc you have no idea what im speaking about so lets end it here cause for you dx9 is fine. I guess win XP is fine as well.

Don’t be a condescending sod please if you do not know how to discuss things normally.

http://media.bestofmicro.com/W/0/272016/original/NV-DX9-Vs-DX-11-FPS.png

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8962/the-directx-12-performance-preview-amd-nvidia-star-swarm/4

http://media.bestofmicro.com/W/0/272016/original/NV-DX9-Vs-DX-11-FPS.png

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8962/the-directx-12-performance-preview-amd-nvidia-star-swarm/4

You can post a million links if you want. This is not about wether you are right or not, because I know you were right. It’s about how you said it. You can prove someone wrong without being so hostile.

~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: nosleepdemon.1368

nosleepdemon.1368

Our man Scooby here fancies himself as a bit of a guru! I bet you know all about the latest graphics modes, and all your hdmi cables are gold plated. Who’s a good boy?

Posted by: Zaklex.6308

Zaklex.6308

Guild Wars 2 engine is a modified Guild Wars 1 engine. They will need to re-write a lot of the engine to support DirectX 10. Basically they would have to re-program the the game engine.

~Snip~

Unfortunately you just put your foot in your mouth with that statement. The GW2 engine was written brand new from the ground up, with DX9 intended so as to allow a many computers as possible to play the game. DX10 was considered but ultimately decided against for flexibility purposes when the game was being designed 8 years ago.

Posted by: Brother Dulfite.5793

Brother Dulfite.5793

Is anyone supportive of them doing with dx3 in order to support decades old computers too? Who wants to run gw2 on a 256 mb ram stick with a 1gigabyte hardrive? Think of the lag people… Think of the freaking lag… WvW would be SOOOOOOOOOOOOO messed up Ya know? I mean there would probably be so many glitches we would see Vinewraith in the mist with the eyes of Scarlet Briar and the tongue of Abaddon. I am horrified by that image. Who else is horrified!?

Posted by: NoTrigger.8396

NoTrigger.8396

its not about how it looks, its about the performance. 64bit and dx 12 support would be the best for the expansion.

[qT] Quantify

Posted by: Rognik.2579

Rognik.2579

One of the goals of the original GW was o have a fun and good looking game with low specs so more people can play. I think they were either on DX 6 or 7, something even lower than this and still looked pretty great. I doubt we will ever have the DX version upgraded, but I also don’t think there’s much need for it.

Posted by: Zalman.8719

Zalman.8719

~Snip~

Unfortunately you just put your foot in your mouth with that statement. The GW2 engine was written brand new from the ground up, with DX9 intended so as to allow a many computers as possible to play the game. DX10 was considered but ultimately decided against for flexibility purposes when the game was being designed 8 years ago.

From wiki: “Guild Wars 2 uses a heavily modified Guild Wars game engine which includes support for true 3D environments, more detailed environments and models, better lighting and shadows, new animation and effects systems, plus new audio and cinematics engines and a more flexible combat and skill-casting system.”

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

i recently logged on to my GW1. to my surprise, in Kamadan i was gettin 600fps ! lol i quickly set it to v-sync.

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Posted by: Novuake.2691

Novuake.2691

NOT gonna happen. Get over it…

Retriever Iiat – Asura Engineer
Private retriever of runaway NPCs
Mistband[MIST] – PVP Training guild EU

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

They had dx8 in the original campaign and updated to 9 for fractals. They could do the same. The argument of being more accessible for older machines is null since you can usually just switch between the two renders like in WoW. Dx9 is extremely old and it’s a bit ridiculous not to have the option for at least dx10.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: Novuake.2691

Novuake.2691

They had dx8 in the original campaign and updated to 9 for fractals. They could do the same. The argument of being more accessible for older machines is null since you can usually just switch between the two renders like in WoW. Dx9 is extremely old and it’s a bit ridiculous not to have the option for at least dx10.

What are you even SAYING?

Retriever Iiat – Asura Engineer
Private retriever of runaway NPCs
Mistband[MIST] – PVP Training guild EU

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

Oh my, I just re-read that… sorry, I have a 20h flight behind me and my concentration is lacking: in Guild Wars 1 Prophecies they ran DirectX 8 and for Factions they updated to DirectX 9.

You can choose between DirectX versions in WoW since a couple of years (at least you could some time ago, haven’t played in a while). This would be an option, too, if poeple have older machines.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: Montablac.3041

Montablac.3041

Oh my, I just re-read that… sorry, I have a 20h flight behind me and my concentration is lacking: in Guild Wars 1 Prophecies they ran DirectX 8 and for Factions they updated to DirectX 9.

You can choose between DirectX versions in WoW since a couple of years (at least you could some time ago, haven’t played in a while). This would be an option, too, if poeple have older machines.

while having multiple renderers for the same game is possible (see WoW, Civ 5) it requires the game be built with that in mind from the get go.

if you haven’t built your game from the ground up with this in mind (usually to have a DX and OGL renderer) then it is ALOT of work convert it.

Posted by: Ranva.8024

Ranva.8024

while having multiple renderers for the same game is possible (see WoW, Civ 5) it requires the game be built with that in mind from the get go.

if you haven’t built your game from the ground up with this in mind (usually to have a DX and OGL renderer) then it is ALOT of work convert it.

I still wish for an openGL Version for us Mac / Unix users.

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

I wonder why they don’t have > DirectX 9? Anyone familiar with dx9 perhaps know why? Would you have to maintain two version of the game, or could you just do some condition checks here and there? I can understand why ANet would be hesitant in having to maintain several concurrent branches (or trunks I guess) but if its something you can add to the existing code base then I have no idea why not.

Posted by: Fashion Mage.3712

Fashion Mage.3712

Just as long as GW2 is still runable with directX 9.

Posted by: Talek.6795

Talek.6795

I still wish for an openGL Version for us Mac / Unix users.

indeed

Talék

Posted by: Rabe.2456

Rabe.2456

I’d rather have their programmers add things to the actual game-engine instead of improving an overall good graphics engine.

Posted by: DarkWasp.7291

DarkWasp.7291

I’d rather have their programmers add things to the actual game-engine instead of improving an overall good graphics engine.

Seeing an increase in frames can be just as refreshing as seeing a positive balance patch go toward your class.

^ Uses Guild Wars 2 character screenshots for desktop wallpapers.

Posted by: zaw.6741

zaw.6741

im not sure if wow was built with dx11 in mind
and they did it
whats stopping anet? not enough money, so they put skins that were ingame skins in the orignal, now for 300 gems?

Posted by: Ranva.8024

Ranva.8024

im not sure if wow was built with dx11 in mind
and they did it
whats stopping anet? not enough money, so they put skins that were ingame skins in the orignal, now for 300 gems?

WoW was released in 2003 with support for dX9 and OpenGL.
There was no need to rewrite the code to support different engines cause it already did.
Please stop complaining about the lack of dX10+ when there is no alternative to an emulation of dX9 for the Mac / Unix crowd.

Protip: Complain about an openGL Port for the engine. After that the code is rewritten enough to support a port to dX12

Posted by: zaw.6741

zaw.6741

noone complain about lack of new dx. we just state that game performance is terrible for what it visually offers in 2015. it should run with higher framerates.

Posted by: Rebound.3409

Rebound.3409

Who said ANYTHING about looks? Ppl want a better DX because of performance mainly.

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

There is absolutely NO chance they will abandon the DX9 using player base that currently exists.

It is nearly as sure that they will not revamp the existing (almost 3 year old) game to support an additional DX version.

The development costs to retool the game for a new DX version and the additional support costs to maintain both simply have no upside to the economics of running the game. I could be completely wrong, but I doubt it.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

Arenanet COULD move from Dx 9, the question is why would they? I am not saying from a technical standpoint, I am saying it from a financial standpoint. I mean the ones complaining about dx 9 are probably not significant enough in size to justify the cost of converting it into dx 9. Companies will always follow the money, if they haven’t it means they deem it not worthy.

Blizzard had a 15 dollar a month incentive to move to a higher Dx, Arenanet doesn’t.

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

Havoc.5840

Who said ANYTHING about looks? Ppl want a better DX because of performance mainly.

Exactly that, i purposely run the game with everything on minimal with a few exceptions here and there because in WvWvW i dont actually care what my self or others look like. I care about the game performance, which can be improved if they updated their DX.

On a side note will ANet ever release a colourblind version, its only a slight problem when its nearly impossible to see the red aoe markers.