Stopped playing shortly after release

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: The Colon of Jack.2158

The Colon of Jack.2158

I couldn’t get past the Challenge of Strength in City of Hope. Tried grouping with friends and group finder, but every attempt was a wipe. On top of that, most events in the new areas ended in wiping. Has anything changed since? Better survivability builds?

Posted by: Lauren.3061

Lauren.3061

For that mission, I switched to more survivable gear (celestial on ele) but the #1 thing was having traits and utility skills that provided extra mobility to stay out of the traps. Speed and a bit of tankiness was the name of the game for me in that one.

~Arabella

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Have you thought about finding a guild to help you through stuff like that?

Posted by: FogLeg.9354

FogLeg.9354

It has not changed really. After HoT was released some classes have been nerfed by now (Revenant, Chrono) and some have been boosted (Thief, Warrior) but nothing major to help you through that story battle. I have done it with 5-6 different classes and I hate those traps too, still I usually manage to get through it without dying. I have also helped people with it when they asked in map chat.

I think there is setting in graphics option that makes those traps practically invisible for some players. Also, you may want to replace some traits/skills for that single fight because there is not healing.

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

What’s funny about those trials is that the Exhalted are testing the player to see if they’re worthy to enter the city and place the eggy on the special eggy platform – but are the Exhalted worthy to receive my egg? Let’s not forget who’s the egg bearer here. I decide what happens with my egg. I don’t see them doing any trials to prove to me that they’re the good guys. Sure, they’re shiny. But for all I know, the Exhalted are some cult of floaty shiny dudes and sooner or later there’s going to be a sacrificin’.

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

I don’t even remember this part, had to check it on youtube. It’s super easy. If you are that crappy at games you do either of the following:

a) stop playing games
b) finish the game Dark Souls

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: Dream Shake.8741

Dream Shake.8741

You are doing it wrong. You need DPS, not survivability. Spike the foes before they reach you. If they get close, pop stability and facetank them. I did the story with all my characters besides a thief and just killed the mobs really fast. My favorite was my zerk ranger – press 2 on longbow and enemy is dead in 1 second.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

What’s funny about those trials is that the Exhalted are testing the player to see if they’re worthy to enter the city and place the eggy on the special eggy platform – but are the Exhalted worthy to receive my egg? Let’s not forget who’s the egg bearer here. I decide what happens with my egg. I don’t see them doing any trials to prove to me that they’re the good guys. Sure, they’re shiny. But for all I know, the Exhalted are some cult of floaty shiny dudes and sooner or later there’s going to be a sacrificin’.

I’m glad I’m not the only one that thought that.

The only reason I had the egg was because the supposedly “chosen” protectors kept failing in their tasks. And looking at the meta events in AB, it seems the Exalted are no better. “The egg will be perfectly safe with us… unless the Mordrem attack. Which they could, at any time. But unless that, perfectly safe.”

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: reapex.8546

reapex.8546

I couldn’t get past the Challenge of Strength in City of Hope. Tried grouping with friends and group finder, but every attempt was a wipe. On top of that, most events in the new areas ended in wiping. Has anything changed since? Better survivability builds?

You can do it with either better dps or survivability. All builds are viable for that mission, if you need help feel free to message.

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

You can do it with either better dps or survivability. All builds are viable for that mission, if you need help feel free to message.

Except sustain builds, as you cannot heal from any source.

Posted by: William Bradley Knight.2609

William Bradley Knight.2609

Were you by chance playing ele? I’ve done the personal story on several characters now, all solo at least until Hearts and Minds, and only had trouble with this on an ele. With reaper, herald, ranger, mesmer, and even thief, in zerk gear or near zerk, it went smoothly with no real problems. But with ele I seem to recall dying twice before switching up my build to something that worked for me. If you are playing ele, it might be worth adding both of the glyphs of elementals to the bar for providing some assistance in damaging enemies and keeping them occupied while you avoid the traps. I honestly don’t know why ele was really any more difficult but it was. Ele is squishy, but so is thief and it was no problem. Maybe it is because ele typically relies heavily on self-healing for sustain/survival?

Either way, if you want some help message in game. I’d be glad to try and assist.

Posted by: lynspottery.6529

lynspottery.6529

Actually, I managed on an under geared ranger …even though I had to do it a couple of times, I think I could have managed it the first go around had I actually watched Dulfy’s achievement guide for this. Process is similar without the achievement constraints.

You can see Dulfy’s guide here: http://dulfy.net/2015/10/25/gw2-heart-of-thorns-act-2-story-achievements-guide/

reapex.8546

Sustain builds can still do damage.

Posted by: FogLeg.9354

FogLeg.9354

Problem with sustain builds is that they take longer to kill enemies. The way that fight is designed, you really want to kill the spawned mobs as fast as possible so you wont have to dodge those whirlpools so much. Longer it takes to fight = more whirlpools will appear = more chance some will appear under you.

Posted by: kdaddy.5431

kdaddy.5431

lol the entire story doesnt make sense. I was like ok i past the trials and i just give you the egg? Then my gullible character just does it. I was like i hope they take my glider and tell me to jump off the cliff next because my character would of just done it without thinking.

reapex.8546

Problem with sustain builds is that they take longer to kill enemies. The way that fight is designed, you really want to kill the spawned mobs as fast as possible so you wont have to dodge those whirlpools so much. Longer it takes to fight = more whirlpools will appear = more chance some will appear under you.

If the player has the skill to avoid the whirlpools, it doesn’t matter how long the fight takes because the player has the endurance or will to continue and win. Not all fights need to be completed by racing against a self made clock. Some people are happy with longer fights, they can fully experience the event mechanics without it being cut short.

TexZero.7910

If the player has the skill to avoid the whirlpools, it doesn’t matter how long the fight takes because the player has the endurance or will to continue and win. Not all fights need to be completed by racing against a self made clock. Some people are happy with longer fights, they can fully experience the event mechanics without it being cut short.

Look, i’m not saying they don’t deal damage. I’m saying it’s not viable to run a build based around self sustain in an area where you cannot heal. I think that’s self explanatory, no ?

Posted by: Avarice.2791

Avarice.2791

Here is my guide to the strength trial:

You have to kill like what, five enemies one by one? Also the AoE damage effects give you about ten seconds to move.

Mate, if you’re struggling with this then you might as well give up. Fractals, raids, PvP… Nothing is going to work out for you.

What would I suggest? I heard Neopets is still going on… If you find that too difficult you could possibly try Hello Kitty Island Adventure….

Posted by: Minx.7521

Minx.7521

The most helpful thing I found was summons. Summon the crap out of your class. For the classes that does not have summons (such as rev), ask a friend to come along. Ask that friend to have summons. Nowadays, rangers can res like crazy and necros can basically just run around the place and their summons will kill everything. No point in bringing 5 people, just you and a summoner.

P.S. I solo’d that one as an engi, and I absolute loathe playing engi, by having turrets.

TexZero.7910

I like comments about “git gud” or “L2P” or “you’re just a bad player”. Reminds me of why I don’t got to the HOT maps: all of the caustic players congragate there.

How would you know they where they congregate if you aren’t there ?

On a side note, the only thing more caustic than people, are people who are quick to condemn others.

The comments about getting good, while done poorly do emphasize the strong selling point that was harder PvE. Some people will struggle to adapt to that, and for the most part it is a matter of getting better (gear, trait synergy, play habbits) for others its a matter of learning the environments and mobs attacks etc….

Getting good, or rather being told to improve isn’t a bad thing.

Posted by: THE DOCTOR.3510

THE DOCTOR.3510

My strategy was to run around the pillars in the room, obstructs most enemy attacks, and made it pretty easy. Or you could just dps the kitten out of the enemies, that’s another way to do it.

Posted by: Avarice.2791

Avarice.2791

I like comments about “git gud” or “L2P” or “you’re just a bad player”. Reminds me of why I don’t got to the HOT maps: all of the caustic players congragate there.

Don’t let the community deter you from participating in HoT maps. You’ll find most of the elitests is in fractals and raids. The overall community in events really isn’t that bad.

OP, If you’re going to go on a rant about quitting the game because you were not able to complete an extremely easy mission that literally millions of other players (I assume seeing as there were 7 million accounts, possibly not active, at the release of HoT) were able to do… Well… Of course you’re going to get comments like that. There’s really no hope for the OP in this game if he is quitting after a couple tries in story mode. Harsh, but true.