Stronghold isnt GvG

Stronghold isnt GvG

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: SkylightMoon.1980

SkylightMoon.1980

1. I keep hearing people say they added GvG but this isnt really true. People think that because they heard that a guild feature and leaderboard was included as well, that recognizes guilds in spvp. Stronghold itself is just another pvp mode. Its not more GvG than Conquest or any random mode you can think of.

2. The GvG that guild wars 2 players have consistently asked for is a deathmatch style version in an instanced arena. I think they can still do this really easily if they just give us instanced arenas in our guild hall, that we can buy for them. Even if it was gems for the instanced arena, kinda like how you spend gems for a custom arena in spvp, that would work.

The point is that they didnt really satisfy the craving of GvG guilds in gw2 because they didn’t(as far as I know), add an instanced area for guilds to fight in their guild halls. This has to be one of the most requested features since GvG started in the beginning of the game.

Stronghold isnt GvG

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

It is an advanced version of the GW1 GvG though, and I was under impression that it was that kind of GvG people wanted, seeing as they always shouted about how much it sucked that GW2 didn’t have GvG when GW1 did.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Stronghold isnt GvG

Posted by: Crise.9401

Crise.9401

This is closer to GvG than what GW2 players refer to as GvG from what I understand.

Not saying your criticism is invalid, however, there are two groups of people with two vastly different definitions of GvG. For one of those groups Stronghold seems to hit pretty close to home when it comes to GvG.

Stronghold isnt GvG

SkylightMoon.1980

It is an advanced version of the GW1 GvG though, and I was under impression that it was that kind of GvG people wanted, seeing as they always shouted about how much it sucked that GW2 didn’t have GvG when GW1 did.

The confusion arises over terminology. I guess if were completely objective, GvG just requires guilds competing each other in some mode format. This could be conquest, deathmatch, stronghold. People have been using the word GvG to refer to different types of modes, and thats why there has been disagreement.

Stronghold isnt GvG

lordkrall.7241

But why would people refer to Guild Wars 1 when talking about GvG if they were not talking about the Guild Wars 1 GvG?

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Stronghold isnt GvG

Posted by: Gorefiend.9675

Gorefiend.9675

In GuildWars 1, GvG is stronghold. This may be surprising but this game is GuildWars 2, not GuildWars 1. In Guildwars 2, GvG is 10+ man deathmatch.

D/D, Staff Elementalist

Stronghold isnt GvG

Posted by: Rincewind.1207

Rincewind.1207

I play GW from 2005 when it started and now for a year and a month i play GW2 !
GvG was a main aspect in GW 1 , the Guild hall was the very same map most of GvGs took place !

I don’t know if there will be an option that will give you the choice for the Guild Hall to be a Stronghold but i think from my experience in GW1 that it will become reality !
The definition of GvG is the Guild Ladder ! When there is a Guild Ladder then there is GvG ! So no its not the map or the pvp mode that defines the structured GvG but the ladder itself ! Thats what we were constantly asking for and it was delivered ! ! !

We Seek Pride [WSP]
Hellenic Phallanx [HP]

Stronghold isnt GvG

SkylightMoon.1980

But why would people refer to Guild Wars 1 when talking about GvG if they were not talking about the Guild Wars 1 GvG?

From what ive seen, when gvg is requested, its not in the form of gw1. Im just going off what ive seen, and that the majority of gvg requests have been from gvg players in this game in gvg guilds who do OS type 15’s or 20’s fights. I haven’t commonly seen people ask for gvg in the form of a guild wars 1 gvg. Then again its very vague because when some people arn’t being specific to which type of gvg they want, then its confusing.

Im also going off Jon Peters statement back in April when interviewed by MMORPG after they asked him about GvG. He pretty much said he viewed the gvg being requested as a deathmatch style, more than a guild wars 1 gvg.

Stronghold isnt GvG

Posted by: Hardcore.6351

Hardcore.6351

Don’t you think it’s a funny thing that the game is named “Guild Wars” and the Guilds will only battle themselves 2 years later and have to buy a exp pack for it.

Stronghold isnt GvG

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

Gw1 GvG would never work in GW2. People have to realize that.

Hopefully the GW2 interpretation (GW1 GvG meets MoBA) will be fun.

And the WvW’s iteration of GvG is just a deathmatch with numbers. DM isn’t that great either as a full fledged gamemode.

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

Stronghold isnt GvG

Crise.9401

Don’t you think it’s a funny thing that the game is named “Guild Wars” and the Guilds will only battle themselves 2 years later and have to buy a exp pack for it.

This always gets brought up, so lets do this again… the name Guild Wars comes from the PvE lore not from the game type known as GvG (in either of its incarnations).

What came before when the original base game was in development I do not know, but that is not really relevant. The game is called Guild Wars 2 because it is a sequel to the game called Guild Wars gameplay has absolutely nothing to do with it.

And the WvW’s iteration of GvG is just a deathmatch with numbers. DM isn’t that great either as a full fledged gamemode.

This, ANet has sort of always been averse to the idea of plain deathmatch, I was honestly extremely surprised we even got Courtyard to begin with (which is hardly a stellar map, quadrupling team sizes and making it guild specific could hardly change that alone).

To be fair, we know too little about this game mode to draw any definite conclusions one way or another. Either way it is a competitive mode for Guilds to compete against one another, so in that sense it is official GvG in Guild Wars 2.

(edited by Crise.9401)

Stronghold isnt GvG

SkylightMoon.1980

Well people have competitively done deathmatch gw2 since the game started, and there has been a large demand for systems in the game to progress this game mode, so id say that its pretty great to the playerbase. I mean in the end of the day, lots of guilds gvg because its fun, thats all that matters.

It doesn’t matter how intricate the game mode is or not, whether or not it even took skill. Its about fun. Most of PVE takes no skill and people still do that because they enjoy it.

(edited by SkylightMoon.1980)

Stronghold isnt GvG

Posted by: Phosphia.7813

Phosphia.7813

I’m looking forward to the new spvp mode, but it is an spvp mode after all and not a GvG. (Yes, we know it has a guild ranking, the semantics argument is unfunny)

GvG is ~ 20 vs 20 deathmatch in WvW mode where you have far higher ability for customization and team play.

But yeah, spvp got a guild ranking for their new spvp mode which is cool I guess.

(edited by Phosphia.7813)

Stronghold isnt GvG

Posted by: Muchacho.2390

Muchacho.2390

I’m looking forward to the new spvp mode, but it is an spvp mode after all and not a GvG. (Yes, we know it has a guild ranking, the semantics argument is unfunny)

GvG is ~ 20 vs 20 in WvW mode where you have far higher ability for customization and team play.

Nah GvG is 8v8 where the goal is to kill the enemy guildlord. You just talking about 20v20 deathmatch, that strangely most WvWler call GvG…

Stronghold isnt GvG

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

Well people have competitively done deathmatch gw2 since the game started, and there has been a large demand for systems in the game to progress this game mode, so id say that its pretty great to the playerbase. I mean in the end of the day, lots of guilds gvg because its fun, thats all that matters.

It doesn’t matter how intricate the game mode is or not, whether or not it even took skill. Its about fun. Most of PVE takes no skill and people still do that because they enjoy it.

The population that does GvG is marginal (which is normal as it’s not supported), however I realize that lots of people like the idea (GvG or broader: DM). But the moment it becomes a full fledged stand alone gamemode, it might go either way in terms of fun/popularity. There are not many games out there with pure DM as a core gamemode, almost all of them have other objectives. And they have their reasons for that.
Deathmatch works much better when in small numbers, i.e arenas (2v2, 3v3).

Stronghold seems to be more open to ‘DM encounters’ as opposed to conquest where you are forced to hold points which completely changes the dynamics (from builds to rotations). We have to wait for more details but the main goal will atleast be killing the GL as in gw1. This might open up the gameplay for more skirmishes, splits, teamfights, basically more fights no points. I’m excited to see how it’ll pan out, though I’m already afraid for how the treb and NPC (‘hiring soldiers’???) will influence the gamemode.

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

Stronghold isnt GvG

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

The OP hit the nail directly on the head.

Simply because guilds can compete in the new pvp mode does not make it GvG.

Stronghold isnt GvG

Posted by: Rashy.4165

Rashy.4165

Still better than trying to have Guild fights in WvW maps, a far less controlled environment.

Not sure if this was particularly clear, but it’s possible Guild teams could get access to more than just Stronghold as a PvP mode. Guild teams in Courtyard is pretty much the DM that some people are expecting from GvG. The only difference would be team size.

We don’t know the details yet either way.

Stronghold isnt GvG

Phosphia.7813

Still better than trying to have Guild fights in WvW maps, a far less controlled environment.

Not sure if this was particularly clear, but it’s possible Guild teams could get access to more than just Stronghold as a PvP mode. Guild teams in Courtyard is pretty much the DM that some people are expecting from GvG. The only difference would be team size.

We don’t know the details yet either way.

No.. Any kind of NPCs, doors, lanes or lords has nothing to do with what GW2’s GvGs are about. They are open field fights between guild groups of around 15-20 in WvW mode where you have the extended character customization that spvp doesn’t offer.

Spvp.. is spvp.

They two are completely different and it’s pretty annoying seeing people getting upset over semantics.

Stronghold isnt GvG

SkylightMoon.1980

The population that does GvG is marginal (which is normal as it’s not supported), however I realize that lots of people like the idea (GvG or broader: DM). But the moment it becomes a full fledged stand alone gamemode, it might go either way in terms of fun/popularity. There are not many games out there with pure DM as a core gamemode, almost all of them have other objectives. And they have their reasons for that.
Deathmatch works much better when in small numbers, i.e arenas (2v2, 3v3).

Stronghold seems to be more open to ‘DM encounters’ as opposed to conquest where you are forced to hold points which completely changes the dynamics (from builds to rotations). We have to wait for more details but the main goal will atleast be killing the GL as in gw1. This might open up the gameplay for more skirmishes, splits, teamfights, basically more fights no points. I’m excited to see how it’ll pan out, though I’m already afraid for how the treb and NPC (‘hiring soldiers’???) will influence the gamemode.

There are few guilds because they aim at large numbers not 3v3 2v2. Id say in total there are +100 guilds in the entire game who do 20’s and 15’s. The reason gvg seems so small is that people focus so much on the top 5 or 6 guilds. In reality there are TONS and TONS of guilds running in WvW.

T2 right now in NA has blown up with guilds recently from what I see in WvW. By guilds I mean guilds who don’t PPT but search for fights only. A lot of borderlands just end up being slaughterfests between 6 or 7 guilds or 15-25 who exchange fights and what not. Its really fun.

I can’t agree with you on that point because who cares how many games do a full fledged deathmatch. If your community wants it, then why not do it. Its fun, and thats all that matters. I dont see any problems with deathmatch in gw2, because there never has been. Its quite simple. You have one life only, and thats it. If it was so disastrous then people wouldn’t be doing it.

Stronghold isnt GvG

Posted by: witcher.3197

witcher.3197

I’m happy with how this looks. WvW players will have to find another name and they will no longer disgrace the GvG name with their brainless zergfests. Justice.

And why would Anet make a gamemode for ~100 people? Not everyone can get 19 core players for a team who can be online at the same time.

GW1 had GvG. GW2 does not, but some people decided to call their abomination GvG. Now that GvG’s happening and is inspired by GW1, WvW zerglings are upset that “it’s not GvG”. What a joke.

Stronghold isnt GvG

Posted by: Muchacho.2390

Muchacho.2390

I’m happy with how this looks. WvW players will have to find another name and they will no longer disgrace the GvG name with their brainless zergfests. Justice.

And why would Anet make a gamemode for ~100 people? Not everyone can get 19 core players for a team who can be online at the same time.

GW1 had GvG. GW2 does not, but some people decided to call their abomination GvG. Now that GvG’s happening and is inspired by GW1, WvW zerglings are upset that “it’s not GvG”. What a joke.

True, but it will be called Stronghold not GvG.^^

Stronghold isnt GvG

Posted by: Shala.8352

Shala.8352

just my opinion, but guilds in gw2 have much more players than 5. So, calling a 5v5 fight mode a GvG i cant feel it, you wont be the best guild in GW2 leaderboard, you will just be the best party in the game.
Thats why i’d prefer what everyone is asking, an arena deathmatch in 15+ players for each guild, that would be the only way you can call a Guild Leaderboard. Else, is just another PvP where the big group work that Arenanet is aiming to wont exist. Matching for a 15v15 or more like 20v20 rlly makes the guild working as group, and that would be wonderfull.

Stronghold isnt GvG

lordkrall.7241

To be fair in GW1 you had way more than 8 people in most Guilds as well, and yet GvG only allowed 8 people at a time.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Stronghold isnt GvG

Phosphia.7813

Guys. Stronghold is not our GvG replacement.

Stronghold, is stronghold. Just be happy for having it. It’s a new and probably fun spvp mode.

Perhaps we can get a GvG system later.

Stronghold isnt GvG

lordkrall.7241

Stronghold, is stronghold. Just be happy for having it. It’s a new and probably fun spvp mode.

How can you be so sure?
Remove the hirelings and it will basically be an exact replica of GW1 GvG.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Stronghold isnt GvG

Crise.9401

True, but it will be called Stronghold not GvG.^^

To be fair, they will probably never use the term GvG in an official capacity about anything because its definition varies so wildly depending on whether you ask someone who played GvG in GW1 or who plays GvG as it is known in GW2 right now.

Stronghold isnt GvG

Phosphia.7813

How can you be so sure?
Remove the hirelings and it will basically be an exact replica of GW1 GvG.

Of gvg1, sure. But that’s not the massive GvG scene that we have in GW2.

But I’m sure spvpers will like it.

Stronghold isnt GvG

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

Please ArenaNet!

Mix that mode with RTS mechanics. This is a perfect opportunity to take MOBAs to the next level.

Instead of mindless flow of units, give us RTS choices.

“Should we rush or store the Eco?”, “Upgrade or more units?”, “What mix of units will counter my foe’s forces the best?”

I want to see those! Just look at some high rated Age of Empires 2 gameplay!

A mix of Guild PvP, RTS commanding and decisions within a MOBA-like map – That’s too sweet teamwork mode to miss on!

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

Stronghold isnt GvG

Posted by: RoRo.8270

RoRo.8270

People keep asking for deathmatch and gvg. You all do realise this isn’t gw1 where we had the Trinity which included healers. It all sounds good on paper but in reality it’s awful

Stronghold isnt GvG

Phosphia.7813

People keep asking for deathmatch and gvg. You all do realise this isn’t gw1 where we had the Trinity which included healers. It all sounds good on paper but in reality it’s awful

You obivously have no idea what you are talking about.

The GvG scene is massive in both the EU and NA, and it is open field 20 vs. 20 and it works perfectly fine.

Stronghold isnt GvG

Posted by: Barret.4095

Barret.4095

gvg has been a thing since gw1. and it was definitely not this kittenin zergfest that you all think. they finally added something like the original gvg.

“For those whose time and dedication went above and beyond, only to achieve mediocrity”

Stronghold isnt GvG

SkylightMoon.1980

what an ignorant comment. this is just another typical gw1 fanboy comment. you don’t like the game type so you have to insult it and the people playing it lol. stronghold isn’t gvg, its another spvp mode. the reason people think it is, is being colin added the word guild features and guild ladders, and because stronghold is similar from what we know to the original gvg in guild wars 1.

GvG as far as we know it for guild wars 2 will always be deathmatch style OS battles with 15’s and 20’s. If you think it takes no skill I will gladly pull you into a T2 top tier guild and we will see how you fare ^.^

(edited by SkylightMoon.1980)

Stronghold isnt GvG

SkylightMoon.1980

gvg has been a thing since gw1. and it was definitely not this kittenin zergfest that you all think. they finally added something like the original gvg.

please if you are going to comment then try to comment on something youre educated on. if you don’t know much about gvg in gw2, then don’t say anything or admit your ignorance, otherwise go away.

Stronghold isnt GvG

Posted by: briggah.7910

briggah.7910

The GvG scene is massive in both the EU and NA, and it is open field 20 vs. 20 and it works perfectly fine.

If it works perfectly then why are people still talking about not having a GvG game mode or a spot dedicated to GvG’ing ?

Player Vs Everyone
youtube channel - twitch channel

Stronghold isnt GvG

SkylightMoon.1980

If it works perfectly then why are people still talking about not having a GvG game mode or a spot dedicated to GvG’ing ?

the guilds are there who want it, but gvg itself doesn’t have proper game support. we can’t gvg guilds whenever we want. simply because they may be on the same server as us, they may be in a different matchup, and there may be trolls in the gvg. I actually saw Caed trolling a couple of rounds in a scrimmage between two guilds in the OS the other day. Caed! No respect obviously is this is exactly what im talking about.

Stronghold isnt GvG

Phosphia.7813

The fight of 20 vs. 20 is perfectly fine, that’s what I was referring to if you’re having trouble to tell.

Organising fights between guilds could be made a lot more convenient by anet by creating a match system that also records the results of the games.

Currently every GvG guild has a contact, and all contacts have eachother as contacts and that is how GvGs are currently being arranged. And they are thriving very well even with no scripted ladder tracking by anet.

Having a system to automate the process and eliminate trolls would be very nice, that’s what people have been asking for.

Also, as noted above we can only arrange fights between guilds in the current match up.

Stronghold isnt GvG

Posted by: RoRo.8270

RoRo.8270

How is that gvg? That is a player made conception. Until anet themselves come out and support your zerg vs zerg it will remain so.

Stronghold isnt GvG

Phosphia.7813

How is that gvg? That is a player made conception. Until anet themselves come out and support your zerg vs zerg it will remain so.

when you’re trying this hard to troll it gets pretty unfunny

Stronghold isnt GvG

Posted by: sirflamesword.3896

sirflamesword.3896

I guessing that “massive” so called “GvG” population as you put it is a small % of the entire WvW population. Which just so happens to be a small % of the entire games population. Yes people had to put up with it to do any type of larger scale pvp with their guild, but it was never really supported or widespread.

Pinnacle of Responsibility[Mom]-Yaks Bend
Unstable Shield, Unstable Light

Stronghold isnt GvG

Phosphia.7813

I guessing that “massive” so called “GvG” population as you put it is a small % of the entire WvW population. Which just so happens to be a small % of the entire games population. Yes people had to put up with it to do any type of larger scale pvp with their guild, but it was never really supported or widespread.

well i’m sorry that you’re so ignorant to what is going on then. perhaps if you knew even a little bit of what you’re talking about you could start to dicsuss the subject

Stronghold isnt GvG

SkylightMoon.1980

because its 2 guilds fighting each other. your concept of gvg is based off of gw1. thats gw1. this is gw2. gw1’s gvg wasn’t centralized around fighitng. gw2’s is. gw1’s gvg is just as much a conception as anything else lol. technically, any mode can be a guild versus guild, as long as people have a mode to compete with. I promise that if you take the time to investigate gvg’s and the meta’s/tactics used, that you will find its much more than just people running into each other.

Stronghold isnt GvG

SkylightMoon.1980

If anything, the ppt population is the smallest in wvw. Almost everyone in WvW likes fights in some way. Very few people(eotm heros or yaks bend) like to only ppt and sit in a tower all day, ignoring fights and playing with acs to ward back to enemy. You should play more wvw and youd realize how many guilds are actually there.

Stronghold isnt GvG

sirflamesword.3896

well i’m sorry that you’re so ignorant to what is going on then. perhaps if you knew even a little bit of what you’re talking about you could start to dicsuss the subject

Really? How many “GvGs” do you think happen every week? A few dozen, how about we aim high and say 50. 50×20people is 1000, of course you have probably the same amount of “GvGers” sitting out that week and not able to find matchs so we double that and say 2000 total people wanted to “GvG” this week. 2000 total out of the entire gaming population. Of course those numbers are just a guess, but I would bet I’m not super far off.

(edited by sirflamesword.3896)

Stronghold isnt GvG

Posted by: Windsagio.1340

Windsagio.1340

More “What I like to do must be what everyone wants to do” stuff.

I’m with the GW1 players that seem excited over something of a revival of gw1 gvg.

Stronghold isnt GvG

sirflamesword.3896

If anything, the ppt population is the smallest in wvw. Almost everyone in WvW likes fights in some way. Very few people(eotm heros or yaks bend) like to only ppt and sit in a tower all day, ignoring fights and playing with acs to ward back to enemy. You should play more wvw and youd realize how many guilds are actually there.

You do know there is a MASSIVE difference between wanting fights and “GvGing” right?

Stronghold isnt GvG

SkylightMoon.1980

You do know there is a MASSIVE difference between wanting fights and “GvGing” right?

Pretty much every guild out there that goes for fights in wvw also gvg’s.

Stronghold isnt GvG

SkylightMoon.1980

I’m with the GW1 players that seem excited over something of a revival of gw1 gvg.

You mean the gw1 players who never really asked for a gw1 guildlord version of gvg when the other group of players from gw2 had consistently asked for 2 years? Its not what I like, its what the community has asked for. Again if you dont believe me I can cite Jon Peters when he was asked about GvG back in April and he said “I think the type of gvg the community is asking for isn’t really guild lord/flagstand gvg but more of a deathmatch style.”

Stronghold isnt GvG

Phosphia.7813

I keep seeing posts like this. What exactly is the thought process behind them?

The GvG scene in GW2 is well established and always has been. Trying to ‘invalidate’ it is the most ridiculous of things I’ve seen on these forums in a long time. Why are you so upset about semantics that you must utter something so ridiculous?

Yes, Stronghold appears to be a very nice implementation of elements of GW1 for SPvP. And yes, it will be guilds playing versus other guilds and you’re getting a ranking for it too. As a WvW player I’m exicted about it too.

But it has absolutely nothing to do with the present GvG scene of GW2.

Where’s the fuss coming from? People are getting very hurt over semantics.

Stronghold isnt GvG

SkylightMoon.1980

I keep seeing posts like this. What exactly is the thought process behind them?

The GvG scene in GW2 is well established and always has been. Trying to ‘invalidate’ it is the most ridiculous of things I’ve seen on these forums in a long time. Why are you so upset about semantics that you must utter something so ridiculous?

Yes, Stronghold appears to be a very nice implementation of elements of GW1 for SPvP. And yes, it will be guilds playing versus other guilds and you’re getting a ranking for it too. As a WvW player I’m exicted about it too.

But it has absolutely nothing to do with the present GvG scene of GW2.

Where’s the fuss coming from?

There is a strong divide over what GvG means and it arises between those who play gw2 and those from gw1. I like gw2 deathmatch gvg but I also think stronghold looks promising. Theres no reason to get into a name calling game over this, it doesn’t do anything. Its just that a lot of gw1 players get upset because of how gw2 players have their own GvG that isn’t like guild wars 1’s

Stronghold isnt GvG

Posted by: Windsagio.1340

Windsagio.1340

You mean the gw1 players who never really asked for a gw1 guildlord version of gvg when the other group of players from gw2 had consistently asked for 2 years? Its not what I like, its what the community has asked for. Again if you dont believe me I can cite Jon Peters when he was asked about GvG back in April and he said “I think the type of gvg the community is asking for isn’t really guild lord/flagstand gvg but more of a deathmatch style.”

No, if you’ll pardon the impolite way I’m saying it, I’m referring to a small self-reinforcing group believing that their specific interest is what the majority wants and is best for the game.

Both the immediate (and voluble) pushback to your post and the decision Anet went with on the subject belie that position.