[Suggestion] Combo Field Mixing

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Rin.1046

Rin.1046

Hi all,

I am not sure if this has been mentioned before, but I had an idea today for a way to add extra functionality to the combo field system, without having to add more field/finisher types, so I thought I would post it here to see what others thought of it.

The basic idea is, when you have two fields on top of each other, they will create a new effect when hit by a finisher. Here are some examples to show what I mean:

Ice Field + Water Field + Blast Finisher = Creates a 3 second duration sheet of ice, in an area centered where the blast hits the ground, which causes any moving enemies to slip on the ice and fall down for 1 second.

Ethereal Field + Light Field + Leap Finisher = Creates an illusion of the leaping player and stealths them for 4 seconds. The illusion lasts for 4 seconds and when it disappears or is destroyed it inflicts a random condition on foes around it.

Smoke Field + Water Field + Whirl Finisher = The whirl sprays darkened water around them, revealing any stealthed foes in range for 6 seconds.

Ethereal Field + Dark Field + Projectile Finisher = Charges the projectile with a mix of dark and chaotic energy allowing it to bounce two times after the initial target, blinding each foe hit for 3 seconds.

These are just some quick ideas thrown together, but the basic idea behind field mixing is to add more functionality to professions without needing to give them new skills. It would add a very complex system for veteran teams to utilize, and it would give new ways to play old builds.

I know it would require a hell of a lot of work, in order to create an effect for every double field and finisher combination, but I think it could make things more interesting for skilled teams, and would be a good way of adding extra functionality to professions who may lack certain mechanics. For example, a thief and elementalist duo could gain access to a reveal.

Anyway, what do you guys think? Good idea or too complicated and problematic? I’m not expecting this to be implemented, but I thought I would just throw the idea out there just for fun.

Simplicity is complex.

Good feedback is key to getting the developers to listen to you.

(edited by Rin.1046)

Posted by: Sorin.4310

Sorin.4310

An interesting idea, But I think enough of the community is still ignorant about how combo fields currently work, that this wouldn’t be well utilized by a lot of players. Id rather see some kind of content helping players learn more about combo fields.

Posted by: Rin.1046

Rin.1046

I know what you’re saying, Sorin, but I think that is an issue with how the game teaches new players, not necessarily the combo system itself. If the combo field system had more emphasis put on it, maybe add a few hearts in the starter zones that teach players to use them in some way, I think more players would start making use of the system.

I think the combo fields system is a great idea, and it can be extremely useful when used correctly. I do not think improvements to that system should be hindered because of a lack of knowledge about it, when a good tutorial could remedy that lack of knowledge. But it is a valid point you make.

I think my suggestion would be too complicated for new players to get to grips with straight away, but it was more aimed at the veteran players, to give them something else to master.

Simplicity is complex.

Good feedback is key to getting the developers to listen to you.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

I’d rather just see overlapping combo fields produce all their effects instead of whatever light/poison field happens to be on top of my fire field. :P

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632