Suggestion: Glider Mechanics w/ High Latency

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Avelos.6798

Avelos.6798

Hello!

This is gonna be something that players with high latency including myself will be absolutely ecstatic for including myself.

So players with high ping. We see them every now and then, how they rip around the map doing whatever, but oftentimes we see them rubber banding, taking delayed moments to do something, etc. They might have high latency. I myself play with on average 700-800 ping.

Though how I am able to even continue playing the game is that my movement is done client side. IE, I can move my character, and then after the response time kicks in, it shows my characters moving on other people’s screens. About a single second delay. Cool, that’s livable. I’ve been playing this game for two years like this.

But one of the major mechanics of Guild Wars 2 Heart of Thorns, the Glider, does not follow this same principle, and I’m sure a fair amount of players can relate when they say that most of the time, it’s simply not usable.

Believe me, I would have better internet service type if I could in no time flat. But maybe this idea can help.

What if Glider deployment was also done client side? Hit space bar, glider comes out, the response time kicks in, then other players see it? This would let people with high latency like myself and others be able to have instant access to the gliders and actually be able to get places. Though I honestly have no clue if this would even be possible to do, but one can hope, right?

In the end if it were possible, that would mean that I could get to say the top of the Great Tree in Tangled Depths without a Mesmer portal. I could fly around each map and reach every place I can’t at the moment. It’s an exciting thought. And while that’s happening, everyone can see me fall to my doom and then suddenly reappear in the sky still flying gracefully!

Does this even make sense?

Anyway I think that’s about all I wanted to share. I’m hoping that this is even remotely possible.

I hope this suggestion makes sense and can be thought about!
-Avelos

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

The big issue with client-side computation is abusing the nature of it to hack it for an advantage elsewhere in the game. The limited-access aspect of gliding is also likely causing an issue with packet loss less so than high latency, for a check needs to be made if you’re in the correct world region that allows it (or so how I imagine implementation works).

Otherwise they may just have all of the computation done server-side for the sake of hacking prevention on gliding to prevent abuse. I’m not really sure, though. The client should send a signal stating that you activated the gliding effect at a certain position and check if that position is valid for a gliding, and thus you should be sent up, anyways. That’s effectively the whole premise of rubber-banding, as the client and server are extrapolating where your character should be based on the criteria of actions performed, and those actions are conflicting with actual submitted data, so it instantly attempts to correct itself.

Posted by: kuritsutian.2987

kuritsutian.2987

holding space bar instead of trying to double tap it helped me lots!

Suddenly in the Forums Everyone is now a Game designer!

Avelos.6798

The big issue with client-side computation is abusing the nature of it to hack it for an advantage elsewhere in the game. The limited-access aspect of gliding is also likely causing an issue with packet loss less so than high latency, for a check needs to be made if you’re in the correct world region that allows it (or so how I imagine implementation works).

Otherwise they may just have all of the computation done server-side for the sake of hacking prevention on gliding to prevent abuse. I’m not really sure, though. The client should send a signal stating that you activated the gliding effect at a certain position and check if that position is valid for a gliding, and thus you should be sent up, anyways. That’s effectively the whole premise of rubber-banding, as the client and server are extrapolating where your character should be based on the criteria of actions performed, and those actions are conflicting with actual submitted data, so it instantly attempts to correct itself.

The very unfortunate part about this is that I do not rubberband back to my spot. I fall however long it takes for my glider to whip out which is about one second and I can’t access most places that easily. Sometimes when fighting the Legendary Mordrem Wyvern for example, I cannot glide down to the platform because I fall past it. I climb onto that little root on the side of the drop in spot and fly over and even then sometimes I don’t make it.

I see your point though on hacking prevention so I’m hopeful that some sort of compromise can be made.
but I guess if worst comes to worst, HoT isn’t going anywhere and I’ll have decent internet access eventually.

Avelos.6798

holding space bar instead of trying to double tap it helped me lots!

I should give that a go. If anything it’ll at least make it take as long as my latency response to pull out my glider. I’m not expecting much though.

On the other hand The lag allows me to do some pretty silly things that you can’t do otherwise.