[Suggestion] Name HP Map Markers And Paste

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Cobrakon.3108

Cobrakon.3108

When people want help with the HP It would be nice to have the names to be able to tell people which one. Also to be able to paste the HP in chat would also further streamline this.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Yes, please. Also for Vistas. The game has the coordinates; we should get them too (even if only as a linkable location).

I don’t know where “Golem” or “Guano” is located, at least not by name.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

The thing is those are player-made names for the champs. Eventually you just learn the lingo, I guess? “Golem” is the one above Faren’s Flyer reached by running from the top area along the ridge of metal and hopping onto the giant root then running up the root and gliding to the suspended platform. “Guano,” also called “Vampire,” is the one in the northeast canopy on an airship’s edge where you have a tiny fighting space to kill a thing that heals if it can stand on you.

What people generally do is link the nearest poi or wp, whatever is closest. Guano has a poi right at it, where you step inside the hull a tiny bit amidships.

… can you tell I’ve completed VB at least a dozen times and also led other people through completing it?

Anyway, since the names are community-generated rather than part of the game, I’m not sure how linkable they would be.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I must have made my point poorly. I don’t care about the names. People can ping POIs and WPs — I am asking for the ability to also ping hero challenges, by whatever name ANet wants to use.

The tech is already in the game.

Posted by: Dr Ishmael.9685

Dr Ishmael.9685

Yes, please. Also for Vistas. The game has the coordinates; we should get them too (even if only as a linkable location).

You can already link vistas; unfortunately, ctrl+clicking on the map doesn’t work. However, the wiki provides the chat-links on each sector’s page, e.g. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Blighted_Depths shows the chat-link [&BOUIAAA=] for the vista there. (The wiki’s vista names are unofficial and are intended to describe what the vista shows.) So while it’s not exactly convenient, it is possible.

(In the API, PoIs, waypoints, and vistas are all subtypes of the “point_of_interest” category of map markers (PoIs themselves are called “landmarks” in the API), so it makes sense that they all function similarly with regards to chat-links.)

Illconceived Was Na.9781

You can already link vistas; unfortunately, ctrl+clicking on the map doesn’t work. However, the wiki provides the chat-links on each sector’s page, e.g. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Blighted_Depths shows the chat-link [&BOUIAAA=] for the vista there. (The wiki’s vista names are unofficial and are intended to describe what the vista shows.) So while it’s not exactly convenient, it is possible.

(In the API, PoIs, waypoints, and vistas are all subtypes of the “point_of_interest” category of map markers (PoIs themselves are called “landmarks” in the API), so it makes sense that they all function similarly with regards to chat-links.)

Yes, I know that the wiki has the vistas. I’ve used that to help people locate them.

However, that doesn’t do much good when it comes to people who don’t know where to look for the information and it certainly is of no use when it comes to hero challenges.

Posted by: Saevio.2169

Saevio.2169

I don’t know where “Golem” or “Guano” is located, at least not by name.

I would totally be behind both of these suggestions. Many other MMO’s have features like this. Though if I’m a squad a commander could ping. Location links would be better.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Knowing where something is and getting there can be two very different things especially for HoT maps.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Knowing where something is and getting there can be two very different things especially for HoT maps.

Absolutely. However, I guarantee that it’s a lot easier to “get there” if you know where there is first.

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

You shouldn’t have to go outside the game to link a point inside the game. You should be able to shift + click any map marker to put a link to it in chat.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol