Suggestion: New Legendary Longbow

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: CrusaderXENO.4631

CrusaderXENO.4631

I am happy as I hope most people are that the ANET team is slowly rolling out the rest of the new legendary weapon set. I know there are are few threads in the past that have put forth a few design ideas and would like to post mine. The new legendary weapons have been somewhat opposites to their first generation counterparts. Moot with its disco party style being paired with Eureka; spiky with a pretty serious attitude for example.

I am not sure if the merged legendary team has come up with a concept for the new long bow or not, but I’d like to submit an idea. Kudzu is all about nature and life. We need something that represents destruction; a visual style of a bad omen and sounds with lower tones with the attacks. I think it was the chirping birds getting to me. I’m not great at drawing so I will describe my idea the best I can.

“Eclipse”

My idea would be to have the bow look like a solar eclipse. While stowed on the characters backs it would resemble a total eclipse. The edge of the bow would show light from the corona and small solar flares. The string would blend in making the bow appear as a full circle and traditional eclipse. When the weapon is drawn the eclipse visual would advance in time to show the bow side being more ‘angry’ with solar flares building up brighter at the pivot point to resemble the ‘diamond ring’ point of the eclipse. Light and plasma fire would come down from the heavens and absorb into the character as the additional animation leaving the arms darker and coronal light glowing along their lengths. The string would form into the normal straight line and glow. The firing effect would be plasma fire bolts. A possible special animation for the #2 multiple bolt shots for the ranger could have have energy flowing to the pivot point on the bow more into a continuous coronal mass ejection beam at the target.

The bow itself would dark with maybe a light absorbent look to its features.

Here is a picture to give people some idea on the concept. Credit for the picture goes to F. Espenak for his picture of the 2005 solar eclipse.

Attachments:

(edited by CrusaderXENO.4631)

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

I like the idea and its originality

Now about disco not being serious….
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=s5mGNRgKFOI

Disco is life!

(edited by Randulf.7614)

CrusaderXENO.4631

I didn’t live back then so you got me there lol. Was going for the party feel meaning.

Posted by: Greener.6204

Greener.6204

I don’t use long bows on any of my characters, but I will gladly change that to wield such a weapon.

I love this idea not only for the challenge in making such a bow, but also for how amazing it could turn out.

G R E E N E R

CrusaderXENO.4631

Yeah, I wish I could work with the design team if they liked it. To bad I’m not a digital artist.

Posted by: Zappix.7928

Zappix.7928

I agree, Kudzu is awful and I don’t want it on my Ranger, can we have a less “flowery” longbow and get something that looks good and deadly? Ranger bows have lololol rainbows yay with unicorns, the awful new tiger one Chuka? And Kudzu, which has an annoying yellow arrow point on it.

We need something good, something darker and less silly, I love the Twilight but in a bow form. Make it happen anet, make it happen!

CrusaderXENO.4631

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Posted by: Ulion.5476

Ulion.5476

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/4ue7kr/art_legendary_longbow_concept_houyi_bow_of_the/

Its old concept art but very good. Houyi – Bow of the ten suns its very colorful. Most of the effects have already been thought of.

Ele – Tarnished Coast
“Quoth the raven nevermore”
Platinum Scout: 300% MF

Posted by: Fancypants.9705

Fancypants.9705

Question…. how does an Eclipse represent Destruction?

Posted by: TheNecrosanct.4028

TheNecrosanct.4028

Question…. how does an Eclipse represent Destruction?

It doesn’t. All it is, is shadowplay on a celestial scale. I’m guessing the solar flare visibility is what gave OP the feeling of destruction, but the only thing an eclipse does is make those visible to us without burning our retinas. The Bow of the Ten Suns idea sounds much more viable for a solar flare theme, and fits the destruction theme better, in my honest opinion.

I do like the idea for the longbow, though. An eclipse would work well, especially the diamond ring phase of an eclipse. There do seem to be a lot of visual effects for this idea, which might be overkill or too much to implement for ANet. I’d personally leave out the solar flare elements since they are unrelated to an eclipse. But the eclipse theme could make for a very cool shadowplay effect.

CrusaderXENO.4631

In many cultures an eclipse is seen as a bad omen, a sign of ‘the end’ or apocalypse.

TheNecrosanct.4028

In many cultures an eclipse is seen as a bad omen, a sign of ‘the end’ or apocalypse.

It is, in real life cultures. None of those have a place in Tyria. I haven’t noticed many superstitious ideas in the game and that’s just what this is: a superstition. There is no actual aspect of destruction tied to a solar eclipse. Even in those superstitions, the eclipse is just the omen, not the actual method of destruction people thought would occur. Personally I think a solar themed weapon would represent potential destruction better. The eclipse idea is still cool, though. Like I said, a lot can be done playing with light and shadow.

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

That “Bow of the ten suns” idea looks really, really awesome. I’d love to start working on the Birdbow as soon as it becomes available. It’ll look great on Dragonhunters, Rangers, and Warriors (While Chuka+Champawat only really looks good on Warriors and Dragonhunters, which can’t use it)

CrusaderXENO.4631

It is, in real life cultures. None of those have a place in Tyria. I haven’t noticed many superstitious ideas in the game and that’s just what this is: a superstition. There is no actual aspect of destruction tied to a solar eclipse. Even in those superstitions, the eclipse is just the omen, not the actual method of destruction people thought would occur. Personally I think a solar themed weapon would represent potential destruction better. The eclipse idea is still cool, though. Like I said, a lot can be done playing with light and shadow.

Well I guess stating that means that Halloween has no basis for what happens in game or any other holiday they translate into the game culture from ours. As for saying that the eclipse is just the omen is absolutely correct, along with every other weapon. They are visual symbols and the methods are hitting those 1-5 keys. Has anyone seen any longbow idea that is only from made up Tyria lore? I like the ten suns bow as well, tho that is from Chinese culture.

Posted by: Fancypants.9705

Fancypants.9705

Im curious as to what cultures…. seeing how many eclipse’s have already happened, and there has been no end.. so you would think they would change their beliefs..

CrusaderXENO.4631

Im curious as to what cultures…. seeing how many eclipse’s have already happened, and there has been no end.. so you would think they would change their beliefs..

Just use google or pay attention to what you learn in school, mainly highschool and college. If you’re not there yet I can understand, otherwise I’m not going further with someone who seems to put more effort into trolling than using education and available resources on their own.

TheNecrosanct.4028

Well I guess stating that means that Halloween has no basis for what happens in game or any other holiday they translate into the game culture from ours. As for saying that the eclipse is just the omen is absolutely correct, along with every other weapon. They are visual symbols and the methods are hitting those 1-5 keys. Has anyone seen any longbow idea that is only from made up Tyria lore? I like the ten suns bow as well, tho that is from Chinese culture.

I understand what you’re getting at, but in all honesty Halloween is on a completely different level than eclipse superstitions. The Halloween/Samhain festival is a major happening in large parts of the world, particularly the US. The same goes for Christmas/Yule, which is an even more widespread holiday than Halloween is. Perhaps there are superstitions about eclipses in Tyria as well, though I don’t remember any eclipses in the story or people mentioning anything about it. Considering the legendary journeys have been scrapped for a more timely system to obtain precursors, the story element behind it fades away and we are left with just the visuals of the weapon. Again, an eclipse style bow would be cool, but I don’t see the destruction aspect of it. There is nothing destructive about an eclipse and it has never caused destruction on earth by itself. We are cast in shadow, that’s all. And that light/shadow play would be a cool effect for a legendary weapon, I agree. The solar flare effects would fit a weapon like Sunrise much better thematically.

Posted by: Bandit.8279

Bandit.8279

Does anyone have any other ideas?

I have been wanting a new legendary longbow since the beginning of time. I mean, Kudzu is cool but it is rather feminine and thus only fits with a few of my characters. My poor Norn refuses to use such a thing and demands something a little more masculine!

I don’t care if the next legendary longbow is nature themed or not. I just want something a big tough Norn would appreciate. The Eclipse idea sounds cool and if done right is something I might be interested in.

My idea is one that resembles the latest short bow in that it is animal themed but instead of tigers it is one built around wolves. Garm being one way to go about it, a new single wolf or a pack of wolves would be pretty cool.

While I would love a legendary longbow built around a wolf or eclipse theme at the end of the day we really just need a more masculine counter-part to Kudzu. Make it happen ANet and no more gem driven half-kittened short cuts like Eir’s Legacy Longbow!

Fools N Gold [FNG] of Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

I’d like to see a version of the Mursaat Longbow from GW1.

But, it is literally not there when stowed, like it doesn’t exist. When you unstow for whatever reason, the bow is “constructed” in your hands from the separate sections that come up from the ground in the immediate area with something like the Churning Earth animation (obviously much faster). When you stow, it falls to pieces back onto the ground. Sound effects as per Jade Constructs and add whatever other fluff necessary, like dust trails for the arrows and foot falls.

The Charr Hornbow and the Silverwing Recurve Bow would also make excellent candidates as a basis for legendary weapons in GW2, imo.

Posted by: saifirenet.8169

saifirenet.8169

The Radiant Backguard feels like a solar eclipse. I do care what it looks like but more importantly it better feel good with good animation and sound effects.

Attachments:

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

This game actually needs more normal looking (as in classy and nicely shaped) legendaries than all the crazy stuff we have. Please don’t add to the madness.

I would have loved to have had some of these skins used as legendary longbows, with special footsteps and some decent effects added: Ydalir (would have been my #1 choice!), Eir’s Legacy Bow, Storm Longbow, or a bit more exotic ones like the Shadow Bow, Corrupted Longbow, Araneae.

Posted by: ZeftheWicked.3076

ZeftheWicked.3076

I would like to see a mechanized compound bow, with bit of jungle camouflage, sorta “Rambo HoT bow”, or “this gen’s Predator (the rifle)”. I mean the serious mechanized theme, not trying to make a bow into a rifle, mind you!

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/4ue7kr/art_legendary_longbow_concept_houyi_bow_of_the/

Its old concept art but very good. Houyi – Bow of the ten suns its very colorful. Most of the effects have already been thought of.

This is a really great concept art that is absolutely worth it to call it a legendary weapon and I’d seriously love it, if Anet would make this one happen for real.

Maybe not with the same name of course, and eventually slilightly different colors/foot trail effects but its all about the looks and the flair of that bow design, which are epic making it a perfect candidate for a legendary longbow.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: Tanner Blackfeather.6509

Tanner Blackfeather.6509

Ooooohh yes, what I would give for that as a legendary longbow!

Posted by: jokke.6239

jokke.6239

We need a new legendary longbow, that’s for sure.

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

yes, give us even more pwetty pwincess bows, we don’t have enough of that -_-

no really, if they want to make a new legendary i hope they will make one for the more darkened themed characters, the GS has 3 for each theme yet all the bows have are pretty princess themes.
if anything, have something like this:
https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-0T5Iht1opRY/VxQXmcH40RI/AAAAAAAAGX4/sWWnDa4L6Q0WEpO5UtZaLjvhoxkK7uiiwCLcB/s1600/736119c29481d8a6a3f459dac9000ea2.jpg

Posted by: nacario.9417

nacario.9417

I agree, Kudzu is awful and I don’t want it on my Ranger, can we have a less “flowery” longbow and get something that looks good and deadly? Ranger bows have lololol rainbows yay with unicorns, the awful new tiger one Chuka? And Kudzu, which has an annoying yellow arrow point on it.

We need something good, something darker and less silly, I love the Twilight but in a bow form. Make it happen anet, make it happen!

Dude chuka is awesome, no dis!!!11 the storyline is good and makes u attached, and the visuals are just fine, even a bit fiery when running around, and the two tiger souls comming in when wep swapping is just epic. The perfect mix vs twilight meets something less serious (but nowhere near clownsy kudzu, the dreamer, themes)

Power Ranger PvP
I used to be a power ranger, now not sure anymore

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

I’d rather have that awesome Nine Suns bow someone posted years ago. That thing was amazing.

I see someone linked it.

(edited by Sartharina.3542)