[Suggestion] Possible tribute to Mr. Spock?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Berelious.3290

Berelious.3290

As many of you know, Leonard Nimoy, AKA Mr. Spock, passed away on the Feb 27th. ANet, do you think you could include some kind of tribute to him in Heart of Thorns? While I can’t speak for everybody, I think there are more than a few who’d appreciate it.

Corwin Grimjaw: Guardian (80)
Yak’s Bend Server
Crimethink [ct]

Posted by: BladeRain.6543

BladeRain.6543

I appreciate the man and his life enough to know he doesn’t need a tribute in a video game.

A spot in all of our hearts will suffice.

=-= 80 of every class | Bad at all of them =-=
Hyperbole is the absolute worst thing in the universe.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

It’s sad that he died but did he have a tie in to this game? Eventually everyone dies. All the famous people now living will eventually die. Do they all get a mention in the game even though they have no ties at all to it?

It’s a nice thought but the game can’t put a reference to every important person who dies.

Posted by: Ralanost.8913

Ralanost.8913

Simply put, no. It is a very sad thing he passed away, but he lived a long and very enriched life. Remembering all the good he did is more than enough. It would be a bit patronizing to put something in GW2 memorializing him. It’s a great game, but it is still a game and very transient. Decades from now GW2 will be mostly forgotten, but everything Nemoy left behind will still remain.

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

Seriously, do we see now every freaking time a thread here about it, that when someone passed away, that we need to see now in the game some kind of tributes???

Starts to become ridiculous …

Last time it was Robin Williams, now Nimoy, whos next ???

So just

NO

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

I’m sure they have a tribute to him in Star Trek Online, which is a far more appropriate venue than GW2.

Posted by: Malediktus.3740

Malediktus.3740

I dont see any reason why this should happen

One of my 30 accounts (Malediktus.9250).

Posted by: Prophet.6257

Prophet.6257

I’m sure they have a tribute to him in Star Trek Online, which is a far more appropriate venue than GW2.

Agreed. STO should have priority in this.

Although if Anet did decide to do something I wouldn’t be upset at all.

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

The closest thing we have to a Leonard Nimoy connection in GW2 is the asura, in that they are pretty much what one would expect of the offspring of a Vulcan and a Ferengi.

The table is a fable.

Posted by: DocZed.6973

DocZed.6973

Petition to Channel Nimoy’s legend as a Revenant

All 9 classes leveled and geared to 80!
Remnants of Hope [HOPE]: Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

The very existence of that game is in large part due to him playing that role. And the players there have done a tribute to him.

While it’s good to respect and miss the man, I think that in this case it’s fine to back off and let STO have the moment. (In MMOs, at least.)

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Feirlista Xv.1425

Feirlista Xv.1425

There the copyright issue here any reference outside a licensed Star Trek franchise may get Anet in trubble, but some vague remark like some Asuran NPC saying “live long and conquer” may be doable.

Opinions are like ______ everyone has one I could
put the correct term in but not everyone has kittens

Posted by: Caeledh.5437

Caeledh.5437

I’m a fan of the man and I’m sure he’d appreciate tributes but I think when businesses do this kind of thing there’s always a danger of it looking like they’re cashing in on a death.

It’s a different matter if the celebrity has a pre-existing personal connection to the game. But as far as I know he didn’t.

The closest thing we have to a Leonard Nimoy connection in GW2 is the asura, in that they are pretty much what one would expect of the offspring of a Vulcan and a Ferengi.

That disturbs me on so many levels…

Posted by: Duke Blackrose.4981

Duke Blackrose.4981

It wouldn’t be hard to make a minor Asura NPC named Spokk.

Posted by: Tyrannical.9348

Tyrannical.9348

World of Warcraft already did it, can’t say if it was out of respect or just for the PR (it is a dying game after all), but GW2 jumping on the bandwagon seems a little like a cheap move.

We can honor his memory as is, GW2 doesn’t need to make memorials to people who weren’t involved in the game in any way whatsoever, it’s in poor taste (looking at YOU WoW, and your painfully forced Robin Williams genie)

Caeledh.5437

World of Warcraft already did it, can’t say if it was out of respect or just for the PR….

Robin Williams was known to play World of Warcraft so there was a pre-existing connection. Nimoy has no known connection to GW2 that I know of so an in-game tribute could be seen by some as cashing in on his death.

Posted by: Cash.2385

Cash.2385

what is this facebook?

Posted by: Goatjugsoup.8637

Goatjugsoup.8637

if it happened would not be opposed to it but it doesnt seem like a good fit

Most wanted in game additions: Beastiary, readable books

Posted by: JoshuaRAWR.4653

JoshuaRAWR.4653

It’s sad he died, yes, but what on earth does he have to do with guild wars?

Warrior 80 | Guardian 80 | Ranger 80 | Engineer 80 |
Thief 80 | Elementalist 80 | Mesmer 80 | Necromancer 80 | Revenant TBA

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I’m a pretty big Star Trek fan but I don’t think it’s appropriate to have anything referencing Spock in this game. If it was done it would have to be obliquely because the owners of the copyright do go after commercial interests that reference their IP.

Posted by: Fay.2735

Fay.2735

Could always name a random asura NPC Nimmoy would follow asura naming convention and wouldn’t be immersion breaking.

•— Fay Everdunes | Fay Erduna | Lilyfay (Fay.2735) — Mesmer/Revenant — [NA]FA — 8k±Hrs Played —•
Have you heard of the city? The ancient uru? Where there was power to write worlds

(edited by Fay.2735)

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

It wouldn’t be hard to make a minor Asura NPC named Spokk.

A minor NPC named Spokk that is half human and half Asuran. If named Nimmoy then human, not Asuran, if one wished to be logical about it. ^^

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

Caeledh.5437

If it was done it would have to be obliquely because the owners of the copyright do go after commercial interests that reference their IP.

Not directing this at you specifically, but a lot of people don’t understand that copyright owners almost have no choice in this. They have to sue or risk losing control of their IP.

When judging these cases courts consider how aggressively an owner has protected the IP in the past. Failure to do so consistently can be interpreted as their not really caring about the IP and then it can be open season for everyone.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

I believe there was a fitting tribute and gathering at Vulcan over the weekend.

As culturally significant as Spock was and as tragic as Nimoy’s death is to many, it simply isn’t relevant to GW and many would prob scratch their heads in wonder at why it wold be added (although I kinda liked the Asura idea from Astral…)

After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting. It is not logical, but is often true.

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

No because STO should be doing the tribute just like WoW did the tribute to robins because they had several characters in which it was appropriate. Spock firmly should have atribute both on New Romulus and on Vulcan in STO because of the reunification lore that exists there not here because as much as I like him every game shouldn’t have a tribute for every life changing person that dies.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!