[Suggestion] Warrior's new weapon -> Staff?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Tenpenny.6750

Tenpenny.6750

I would just love to see the staff as the new weapon for the warrior. The staffs in the game are actually more of a magical so what would a non-magical warrior do with such a weapon? Beat the crap out of everyone!

Something like this but more aggressive of course!
http://youtu.be/ZHvvEKpkLw4?t=36s

Think of it – the very natural style of fighting with a staff would be a perfect match for the jungle theme of the expansion.

Some people may even get the monk-ish vibe out of this fighting style they miss so much.

Posted by: VergilDeZaniah.3295

VergilDeZaniah.3295

The Ranger already gets the staff, and supposedly the Revenant seems to use the staff in melee, so it’s highly unlikely.

Guild leader of The Nephilim of Elysium.

Son of Elonia.

Posted by: Argon.1563

Argon.1563

Personally, I think pistols are more likely, as Rytlock has been caught using a pistol on occasion, or I think daggers could be a candidate. I don’t really feel any of the other weapons seem to fit with Warrior.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Personally, I think pistols are more likely, as Rytlock has been caught using a pistol on occasion, or I think daggers could be a candidate. I don’t really feel any of the other weapons seem to fit with Warrior.

Scepter.

Skills
1) Hit them
Hit them again
Hit them so hard your scepter breaks
2) stab with the broken end (causes bleeding)
3) use the handle to block next attack.

See, a perfectly good warrior weapon. ^^

Posted by: Scoobaniec.9561

Scoobaniec.9561

Scepter.

Skills
1) Hit them
Hit them again

So true…and sad at same time

Posted by: I See No Tomorrow.7302

I See No Tomorrow.7302

What about main-hand torch? That’d be an interesting thing to add. I can imagine warriors setting themselves on fire and running into battle to burn everything.

…joking aside I think it’s more likely that Warriors would get pistols or daggers

Posted by: tekfan.3179

tekfan.3179

If the warrior gets a magical weapon, I’d guess it would be the focus, resulting in boosted warcries or whatever.

Astral Projections.7320

While a pistol is a possibility, it just seems a little pedestrian and dull.

The ranger, for example, becomes a Druid and now has a staff. Something that is completely different than his previous weapons. The engineer only had ranged, now it will have a melee weapon, maybe it has AOE fields with the attacks. The Mesmer has shield. I can see that as magical protection fields. Maybe not too different from what it has now, but more intensely so.

The pistol for warrior though, they already have 2 ranged weapons. This is too close, imo, to the rifle.

I mentioned the scepter as a bit of a joke, but maybe ANet thought outside the box. Perhaps the warrior’s new specialization is more magic based. Perhaps it has a weapon to lays down buffs on allies and debuffs on enemies as well as an AOE field.

Posted by: Abdulaziz.1496

Abdulaziz.1496

They mighr get a magical weapon.
Remember that the weap you get will change some mechanics and replace some skills with new ones.
I think that means they’ll remove a whole category of utility skills for a class and give it a new one that suits the specialization.

For example, warriors might get a magical weapon and replace all Physical urility skills with new set of skills

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

Scepter.

Skills
1) Hit them
Hit them again

10/10 would wield into battle!

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: Lunarhound.7324

Lunarhound.7324

Whatever the warrior gets, I sincerely hope it’s not magical. Out of the three soldier professions that’ll be available when the expansion launches, TWO of those already use magic. Keep the warrior a pure soldier, and employ a bit of creativity to branch out, thematically, while keeping to that general outline. Either melee staff or pistol would be nice to have. I’d also have advocated land spear, but we know at this point that’s not happening. I especially like the idea of pistol, since it’d make them more of a “complete” soldier. Even short bow would be better than giving them a magical weapon.

(edited by Lunarhound.7324)

Posted by: sammothegod.7521

sammothegod.7521

How about the Warrior finds an ancient race of Hyleck in the forest, trains with them to allow aquatic weapons such as the Spear or Trident to be used. Creating a constant weapon profession regardless of terrain.

Not a Speargun though, keep it tribal also the Hyleck can help towards the jump Mastery!

Posted by: PlagueParade.7942

PlagueParade.7942

Honestly, I think wars will get off hand torch.

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Which would be cool .

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: Abdulaziz.1496

Abdulaziz.1496

Which would be cool .

torch will probably be a condi weapon.. which sucks at pve.. which means torch will be useless for 1 more class :P

I really think they should give torches a revamp, they’re useless on all classes unless you go for a specific build in pvp

Posted by: Juba.8406

Juba.8406

Land Spear…,,

Posted by: Lazaar.9123

Lazaar.9123

Warrior focus is just a weapon you will throw like a boomerang.

Nike.2631

Warrior focus is just a weapon you will throw like a boomerang.

At which point we’ll have Wonder Woman clones everywhere.

So, basically I’m for it .

Posted by: Rin.1046

Rin.1046

I think torch is a good speculation, but I would also not discount the staff as a melee weapon. The revenant maybe getting a melee focused staff, but their theme will be magic/spirit based, while a warrior staff will be about brute force. There is nothing to say two profs cannot have melee staffs, providing they both fit the profession and feel different.

I agree with others in this thread, in that I do not think pistol will be an option, nor do I think dagger will be. Warrior weapons tend to be big or loud or brutal in some way. Pistols and daggers are both light agile weapons, neither of which fits the base warrior theme. Of course, their new specialization could be something totally different to the warrior base profession, though judging by the hint at a new F2 skill adding to, rather than replacing, the warriors burst skill, it would seem likely that the warriors specialization will retain the brutal strength over dexterity theme the base warrior currently has.

Simplicity is complex.

Good feedback is key to getting the developers to listen to you.

Posted by: Zoid.2568

Zoid.2568

I think Warrior will get Dagger as a weapon. Hard hitting attacks that sacrifice your own armor.

Posted by: Lazaar.9123

Lazaar.9123

I think Warrior will get Dagger as a weapon. Hard hitting attacks that sacrifice your own armor.

Maybe not, Revenant is actually getting an off-hand dagger. It’s very, very briefly seen in the POI stream.

Posted by: YuckaMountain.3786

YuckaMountain.3786

Everybody seems to assume that only land weapons are applicable, my guess is that the warriors will get a trident as new weapon.

Posted by: Otte.6014

Otte.6014

Staff but only as the off hand. Run around like a heavy armored Gandalf

Would be awesome

Nike.2631

Staff but only as the off hand. Run around like a heavy armored Gandalf

Would be awesome

Awesome, but not going to happen, as staves have attribute bonus allocations on them as 2-handed weapons.

Posted by: Varrg.2704

Varrg.2704

there are NPCs at Vigil called “Tactician”, many of them use pistols. I think it could work as some sort of support specialization for warriors, with skills like artillery strike and stuff like that.

Posted by: dadoppelny.7945

dadoppelny.7945

…I still want spears, but since the probability of those kinda shrunk… even though they teased them and teased them and teased them, whether it was in the end scene from LS (where 3 sylvari use spears to fight people, with one of them holding the impaled body of the human warrior she killed up, which then forms into the pupil of mordremoth’s eye for a split second, and then a branch covering a bit of the moon shining above DE2.0

I put my two cents on torches, but I don’t know if they are main or off hand. Could be use to set a weapon ablaze, or set themselves ablaze, or set the enemies ablaze… and it’s the only “Melee Weapon” that’s not used yet. Shortbow seems unlikely, I dont know, they are somewhat too flimsy for warriors, same goes for scepters and staves. focus maybe, and pistols are also possible, since there is no heavy armor user with pistols.

Attachments:

Posted by: Sarisa.4731

Sarisa.4731

The lack of any sort of quarterstaff type attack motion for any class is a glaring omission. I would have preferred melee staff to be used for ranger (to coincide with the nature/wilderness aspect of the class), but warrior works too. Ranger!druid staff is probably more of a caster type.

Lille of the Valley [WHIP]

Posted by: Ludwig.4138

Ludwig.4138

If they wanted to go really outside of the box it would be awesome to give the warriors a staff as just a MH wep and let them dual wield a shield or small wep in the OH. They could also then get pistol or dagger OH to give them 5 new wep skills total. They could make the specialization “Command” based where the 2 skill is a charge, similar to banner, but more damage and also gives boons to allies, and the 3 skill calls in an artillery barrage or something (also a good chance to give Warr a channeled ranged skill). The auto-attack might just be like an attack chain that uses “tactics” or something to do weakness on the 1st hit, vuln on the 2nd, and gives an aoe might shout on 3rd hit or something.

It would look super cool and commandery with like a shield, and it would offer super group support. Just me dreaming anyway…

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

WP suggested daggers for warrior. I think that makes the most sense. Make it a sort of brawler playstyle. It would be like Letho from The Witcher.

Nike.2631

If they wanted to go really outside of the box it would be awesome to give the warriors a staff as just a MH wep and let them dual wield a shield or small wep in the OH.

It would be a super pain in the backside to let any character anywhere under any circumstances have the stat bonuses from a 2-h weapon and a 1-handed weapon. Weapons are more than just skills and animations, they are also a stack of stat bonuses…

Posted by: sammothegod.7521

sammothegod.7521

I hope they don’t go torch it feels like a cop-out, why not have a new weapon like weaponized gloves and boots.

Go outside the box or think what makes a warrior a warrior!

Posted by: Zaeon.9508

Zaeon.9508

What about main-hand torch? That’d be an interesting thing to add. I can imagine warriors setting themselves on fire and running into battle to burn everything.

…joking aside I think it’s more likely that Warriors would get pistols or daggers

Actually, torch could work. It could be used for support, like cauterizing conditions to heal yourself, or maybe throw it to create a fire field?

Posted by: Rognik.2579

Rognik.2579

The big problem is that warriors already have nearly every weapon in the pool. All that’s left is dagger on either hand, pistol on either hand, scepter, focus, staff, torch and short bow. Without changing the base functionality of the magical weapons, it’s pretty much down to short bow, daggers or pistols; even torches seem somewhat magical in most of their functions. As we know a new weapon type isn’t coming in, that gives us very little scope to play with.

Just to play devil’s advocate, maybe the warrior won’t be getting a new weapon. That’s not to say that the warrior won’t get fun toys to play with. Perhaps the F2 skill is a burst skill for the off-hand weapon. This even means two-handed weapons like the rifle and hammer would get a second burst ability. That might just be enough to keep warriors happy and trying new weapon combos.

Astral Projections.7320

The big problem is that warriors already have nearly every weapon in the pool. All that’s left is dagger on either hand, pistol on either hand, scepter, focus, staff, torch and short bow. Without changing the base functionality of the magical weapons, it’s pretty much down to short bow, daggers or pistols; even torches seem somewhat magical in most of their functions. As we know a new weapon type isn’t coming in, that gives us very little scope to play with.

Just to play devil’s advocate, maybe the warrior won’t be getting a new weapon. That’s not to say that the warrior won’t get fun toys to play with. Perhaps the F2 skill is a burst skill for the off-hand weapon. This even means two-handed weapons like the rifle and hammer would get a second burst ability. That might just be enough to keep warriors happy and trying new weapon combos.

That’s an interesting idea. Since they do have so many weapons already and videos have shown an F2 skill, maybe all the warriors weapons will get some sort of extra burst skill when the warrior specializes instead of another weapon.

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

I imagine a staff in the hands of a warrior as the staff of command of a Tactician, used to give orders and empower allies. Kind of like a permanent banner, but with 4 skills like the one banners get on the slot #2 and an melee autoattack.

They could grab the names of some shouts in GW1, and makes skills for the warrior’s staff based on them that would be both shouts and melee attacks.

1. Smack. Hits with the staff on melee.
    • Pummel. Hits again, harder.
      • “Dodge This!” – Stronger melee hit. Slow like symbol of protection, but can’t be blocked, missed or evaded. But it’s still possible to interrupt or move away from range.
  2. “Find Their Weakness!” – Deals some vulnerability to enemies in range. Deals extra vulnerability and damage to the melee target.
  3. “Go for the eyes!” – Gives might and fury to allies. Deals damage and blind on melee.
  4. “Fall back!” – Gives swiftness and regeneration to allies. Deals damage and launches the target on melee.
  5. “Cowards!” – Knocks down for 2s up to 5 enemies moving within range (no effect on those standing still). Stuns target for 3s on melee.
SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

(edited by MithranArkanere.8957)

Posted by: dekou.6012

dekou.6012

Warriors should get a MH shield!