Suggestion- gliding on all pve maps

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

This is a great idea and you all know it!

Thanks

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

Posted by: Sondergaard.8469

Sondergaard.8469

I don’t think anyone is arguing they don’t want to see this happen. However even without seeing the code involved to make this happen I’m pretty confident if it was easy to do they would have done so with the launch of HoT. I know at least a few of the devs would love to be able to glide in Tyria maps. I think it will come down to how much reworking will have to go into core maps to update them to allow gliding in a way that makes sense.

I would love to see this happen but I get the feeling it’s going to likely be a while before they can tackle this given all the other higher priority items for the immediate future.

Posted by: TJgalon.5012

TJgalon.5012

There been a lot of topic on this already. Also official word is, it be to hard to do on the core maps due to how they were never design for it. So some area become easy to get to, or you get to out of bounds spots on the map. also some jumping puzzle become to easy due to gliding.

Posted by: Thanathos.2063

Thanathos.2063

I guess many JPs would become kinda boring

Posted by: Hexalot.8194

Hexalot.8194

You are not going to see gliding in the old maps because they will break the maps. If you fly over roof tops in old Tyria you’re going to see a lot of half rendered buildings and such because there was no need to fill out those structures when you could previously only see the front or sides from the ground.

Posted by: Winter.1374

Winter.1374

Im still for this idea.. even if you fall down much faster.. lose endurance much faster.. only have basic gliding (gliding lv1) and its disabled in jps and cities..
really though I try to glide of little edges.. try to glide of vista places just to end up dying.. ^^’

Posted by: Shampanix.3928

Shampanix.3928

Yeah, I would love it too. But yet most of old maps are horizontal. No much use of gliding except some funny space-hiting. (Yea, I love to do it in jungle anyways lol xD)

But you know what? Let’s keep reminding Anet how much we love gliding so they would also implement it in further expansions. And make new maps more vertical than old tyria. Perhaps something between Maguuma and old maps? This would be awesome

Posted by: Thorfinnr Sleggja.1209

Thorfinnr Sleggja.1209

I think everyone is for it…I think even the Devs think it would be cool…I believe, if I remember correctly…its a programming issue of some kind…

Like the maps on a shard are built one on top of the other…say you took off from the high peak outside the priory…and as you made a turn you hit a “ceiling” and boom…you have now hit a wall in the sewer in LA…something like that…(sorry I can’t remember the comment or where i read it verbatim)

Again, I am going from memory here..so forgive me if I have omitted info…it was not intentional.

The same thing I read said it is not impossible to make it work…just it will take a LOT of time and effort into peeling things apart and reallocating them so that the maps had the clearance for Gliding to work properly without issues.

I do because I can
I can because I want to
I want to because you said I couldn’t

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

Yo do remember when wow did it they had to redo the whole core game with cataclysm so no I dont belive anet are willing to pour resources into that.
And I for one would rather they develop new content with gliding and mtn climbing or snowboarding or maybe even uboating in the future

Posted by: rchu.8945

rchu.8945

This is a great idea and you all know it!

Thanks

agree, even if this going to be a gem store purchase, I will gladly pay for it.

Sanctum of Rall
Pain Train Choo [Choo]
Mind Smack – Mesmer

Posted by: Leamas.5803

Leamas.5803

Won’t happen, most of the maps rely on gravity to keep you where you have to be. It would be an enormous undertaking, with no gain, to lock down the maps and complete structures so the gliding doesn’t break the core game and doesn’t look stupid. Hell, they haven’t even completely locked down the maps for regular play yet. I know of 2 or 3 places where you still can get either outside the map or in to incomplete areas.

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

So you eliminate it from being used in jumping puzzle areas and you’re all set

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

Posted by: TJgalon.5012

TJgalon.5012

since jumping puzzle are inside the map, and not in a separate area, how would you just turn it off?

Posted by: SelenaDread.2814

SelenaDread.2814

The amount of development time used to modify all the old maps would be staggering

Posted by: MiniEquine.6014

MiniEquine.6014

What if, instead of just implementing gliding everywhere, they put updraft locations in spots that you could be thrown up into the air with (if you have a glider) and could reach places already reachable but just quicker? They could be placed such that you couldn’t break out of the maps with them and you could only activate them in the updrafts, so people could still glide a bit but not go crazy.

Either that, or at least let is parachute off of cliffs with very limited horizontal movement. There could still be a “kill plane” if we go too low where we would have normally taken extremely lethal damage (like under Rata Sum), but at least we could survive a monster of a fall without breaking the game. It also wouldn’t necessarily need to be disabled in WvW, but I doubt they’ll implement it at all anyway.