Survey...Would you buy map packs for spvp

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: dragonfell.8206

dragonfell.8206

YES! wtf Stronghold? Really? A map?

Remember halo map packs? For like 4.99$ on xbox live or even a hard copy in store for a little more you could buy 3-5 new maps. Was so awesome 100% worth the money and after a set amount of time the maps would be added to the standard roster for all.

It paid for development and it gave us FAR more variety. Look there is a huge part of the player base that NEVER leaves mists. We work our kitten off all day long and when we get home it’s open a beer, sit back, and jump into a q.

If there was a dungeon q I would do pve. I am worth 25$ an hour in my world and my free time is priceless, I am not spending it walking around carrying a freaking magic rock so your sister can blah blah blah a handful of people will ever read that crap.

I want action, I want challenge, I want it now and I am willing to pay for it.

Posted by: starlinvf.1358

starlinvf.1358

Map packs are one of the fastest ways to segregate a community, and charging for what should be the not only brings old players back, but new players interested. Match based shooters are starting to catch on to this problem with the advent of season passes (among other nefarious reasons), to make sure match flow doesn’t suddenly break because of a map rotation.

This was a HUGE issue in BF3 due to initial reluctance of players during the “Back to Karkand” release. Enough players felt so jilted by the stock maps, that they refused to pay for a map pack….. this caused problems for servers with mixed map rotation, as they’d lose half their population when a Karkand map came up. Considering how hard it is to get momentum for a full server, most admins had to settle on stock only or karkand only, in order to keep the server populated.

This was only made worse by the fact that the Karkand maps were designed better, flowed better, and had much more usable space that lead all players who had those map packs to play them heavily over the stock ones. The result was a huge community split, particularly among clans, that couldn’t play with each other effectively with the access restrictions.

Thats a major reason the Boarderland redesign is Core game, as population density is critical for WvW to fucntion. This rule doesn’t apply to dungons and most small scale PvE content, as PUG population critical mass is not a factor to keep it running.

Rather then sell map packs, I’d rather see them do LOL style playstyle diversity as a business model. But given this game’s problems with design philosophy about ubiquitous PvP and PvE combat mechanics, there aren’t many options to even sell something exclusive to PvP that isn’t map related.

Posted by: dragonfell.8206

dragonfell.8206

your example of BF3 is good however, the logic doesn’t apply. The karkand maps were better but if they had updated and improved the stagnating maps people wouldn’t have felt outraged.

Also in my post I state that in Halo series after the initial 6 months the other maps went free, Some times sooner preventing segregation and population issues.

In GW2 they would need to prevent a portion of the early adapters qq’ing my giving some skins or ascetic items to those that by the packs.

Seasonal sounds great. The point here is I am a consumer looking for a product, I want more variety to something they already make, how can we work together to expand this product.

The question is what would you be winning to pay for how many maps starlinvf? There has to be some number where even you are like hell yea! As a side note: I really loved the quest creator system over at NeverWinter. The idea of player made content is really awesome and hey perfect edition the unranked!

In Neverwinter there was a voting system maps that made it high enough would have special rewards and people could leave tips after doing the maps. Now mind you this was pve but look star, I am looking for tomorrow.

Posted by: Copestetic.5174

Copestetic.5174

Honestly? Yeah, I would. But given the already low population of sPvP, the added maps might not get used a lot since PvP’ers are pretty stingy with their wallets in this game for some reason.

Posted by: Moonlit.6421

Moonlit.6421

Would I mind new maps in pvp? Don’t really care either way but think it could be fun so sure. Would I pay for new maps? Probably if for no other reason the to have the experience. Do I think we need map packs in them gem store? Nope. If anet feels like adding in some new maps for fun hey I’m all for it but I personally don’t want to see the game go in that direction and feel like overall it would do more harm than good.

Posted by: Kitsune.1902

Kitsune.1902

No.

/15 chars~~~~~~

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

This would only segregate the small pvp playerbase as it is.

Posted by: Arantheal.7396

Arantheal.7396

No.
/15scharrrrrs

Engineer is love, Engineer is life.

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

Map packs fracture the community, and pvp is pretty small as it is.

Posted by: Orochimaru.4730

Orochimaru.4730

I agree, if HoT was sold for $5 I would buy it, because that is part of what it is, a map pack with just 1 region.

Posted by: Rin.1046

Rin.1046

I agree with others on this, it would seperate the community, and that is never a good thing. Especially with how the matchmaking currently works. The fewer players that are available for a certain selection of maps, the higher the chances of different skill groups being severally mismatched.

If they offered purchasable dungeons on the other hand, or other PvE content, I could get behind that. But I cannot get behind purchasable map packs in PvP.

On a semi related topic, I also cannot see them adding purchasable stronghold champions, as that runs the risk of adding a pay2win element.

Simplicity is complex.

Good feedback is key to getting the developers to listen to you.

Posted by: Mo Mo.1947

Mo Mo.1947

No. And sPvP is already desperate enough to become legit. Making people pay for maps on top of all the other gem products they entice people with would lead many of just abandon sPvP.

Also did you see how much of a fuss broke out over the lack of char slot for HoT? Does OP really think this would go over well?

Don’t give ANet bad pricing ideas. They do fine selling cosmetic and convenience items. Not to mention all the poor saps who gamble in the game.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

I remember when map packs where free. When devs wanted people to keep playing there game tell there friends how awesome it was and get them playing it. Then some clown thought it would be a great idea to charge people for map packs. The amount of FPS games I’ve played with map packs and the numbers of people playing the map pack maps has always been low. You’d be playing on a server then a DLC map would come up and you’d lose half or more of the players. If they did add map.packs you’d have to add play ranked/unranked map pack. Or given how the game works now, if a map pack map showed up, you could lose team members.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: DresdenAllblack.1249

DresdenAllblack.1249

I wouldn’t buy them if they were free. Wait that doesn’t make sense…

I’ve always thought they should release a new PVP map every six weeks. Two months if they’re being lazy. That way it keeps things as fresh as possible

Angelina is free game again.
Crystal Desert

Posted by: TheFantasticGman.9451

TheFantasticGman.9451

No.
/15scharrrrrs

Agreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed.

Speaking from a PVE-only point of view…

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

No way in Hades.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

This is what I think should be free for the game. This and feature updates.

Storylines (e.g., Season 1, Season 2), I think should be purchased – either as boxed expansions or DLCs.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

Nope. It’d segregate the community, and would likely be played less than the core maps.