Sylvari Aesthetics in HoT

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Hot Boy.7138

Hot Boy.7138

Sylvari is a plant race, but they are also supposed to resemble humans.

I would like to see more human-like faces and less carved-wood style faces.

Also, Sylvari should have the option to dye the Iris and the area around the iris independently when customizing eyes.

Also, when using the Total makeover kit, the exclusive colors should be accessible for Sylvari to use as a skin tone and a glow color.

Here is an official gw2 artwork of a Sylvari. Notice the human-like face. It’s not the carved-wood style that is aesthetically less pleasing. Also, the color of her iris is bright and undiluted by dark tints. Also, please give more details to the texture of the lips like in this picture.
(Btw, this Syvlari cannot be recreated in-game, the face and hair don’t exist for players to use.)

Attachments:

Posted by: Seb.7453

Seb.7453

That is probably old concept art from before the game was released, when sylvari still looked like green skinned elves with clothes made out of leaves. Google “sylvari redesign”to see some old screenshots.

IMO they looked terrible and silly, the current version is much better looking.

Much more interesting.

Posted by: dsslive.8473

dsslive.8473

That concept art is from livin story season 2, its a young caithe. Caithe has that face (which is not available to us) and it is one fo the more human faces.

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

Pre-Launch sylvari were more like Elves than plant people. I liked that concept people because Sylvari are ugly as far as what we got goes.

Posted by: Tuomir.1830

Tuomir.1830

If you want a “pretty” one-face-fits-all, roll a human. Sylvari are a distinct people, and I for one love how they look.

Only fools and heroes charge in without a plan.

Seb.7453

That concept art is from livin story season 2, its a young caithe. Caithe has that face (which is not available to us) and it is one fo the more human faces.

I didn’t actually realize that it was an image of Caithe until you told me.

Doesn’t look much like her as she is ingame I think.

But Caithe does still have a lot of features of the original sylvari design, I’d guess because she was one of the first (sylvari) characters they created.

Attachments:

Posted by: WindGodGirl.6405

WindGodGirl.6405

Why would I play as a non-human race and still want to look more human than not? There’s a difference between resemblance and imitation.

Hot Boy.7138

Why would I play as a non-human race and still want to look more human than not? There’s a difference between resemblance and imitation.

I didn’t say to remove all the wood-carved style faces.

I said I would like to see more human-like faces. You will still have your wood-carved faces. It’s just a matter of variety because yes they are a plant race, and yes they do resemble humans in the lore.

Seb.7453

Here is how the sylvari used to look by the way.

I’m glad they took the time to redesign them.

Attachments:

Posted by: dazydee.1509

dazydee.1509

Also, Sylvari should have the option to dye the Iris and the area around the iris independently when customizing eyes.

Also, when using the Total makeover kit, the exclusive colors should be accessible for Sylvari to use as a skin tone and a glow color.

This!

Posted by: Cameirus.8407

Cameirus.8407

Sylvari is a plant race, but they are also supposed to resemble humans.

I would like to see more human-like faces and less carved-wood style faces.

Here is an official gw2 artwork of a Sylvari. Notice the human-like face. It’s not the carved-wood style that is aesthetically less pleasing. Also, the color of her iris is bright and undiluted by dark tints. Also, please give more details to the texture of the lips like in this picture.
(Btw, this Syvlari cannot be recreated in-game, the face and hair don’t exist for players to use.)

yeah no chance of that.

They sylvari originally looked more human, and were totlly redone to move away from that. Quite rightly in my opinion, we dont need a race of green elves thanks.

Hot Boy.7138

No one has a problem with Caithe’s face or the most common female sylvari face that most people take cause it’s the “cute” one.

Why all the opposition to more of these types of faces?

dsslive.8473

But Caithe does still have a lot of features of the original sylvari design, I’d guess because she was one of the first (sylvari) characters they created.

It’s her younger self, the one we played in one of the chapters, hence why the hair is different, the face is the same tho, it’s jsut the artsy style that coutns for the difference

Also, i would LOVE caithe’s face or more similar, there’s nothing wrong with variety.

Seb.7453

It’s her younger self, the one we played in one of the chapters, hence why the hair is different, the face is the same tho, it’s jsut the artsy style that coutns for the difference

Also, i would LOVE caithe’s face or more similar, there’s nothing wrong with variety.

The shape of the face is wrong, the nose is completely different.

Hairstyle is different too.

In itself the art is okay, but the resemblance is just poor. It’s just concept art though.

Attachments:

Posted by: Moonlit.6421

Moonlit.6421

For all the people haying its a stupid idea and you liked the current faces good for you, now go back and actually read the original post. The OP never said they wanted the current faces removed or replaced, they just asked for more variety. I personally like the sylvari direction, just not how it was taken. I’d love for more plant or forest themed faces and ideas, I would, but not like the ones we have now. Overall most of the sylvari faces but like one or two I just cannot love no matter how I customize or imagine them, they just don’t look good in my opinion and I’m sure if there were statistics showing usages some are dramatically underused. Some people still like them though, so no need to trash them, but some more options would be nice.

Tuomir.1830

It’s not the carved-wood style that is aesthetically less pleasing.

Leaving a red flag like that will get you flame. Regardless of what one asks for, it’s not in good taste to claim one thing or another is universally aesthetically less pleasing than another.

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

I actually really enjoy the aesthetic. They are NOT humans, they simply resemble humans, they should have the woody, plant like looks that they do, as that is a part of what the sylvari are and what allows them to stand out as unique.

What you’re asking for is a generic kind of wood elf/nymph look, which is bland and overused in fantasy. The Sylvari are unique and their aesthetic style shows that, it should not be changed just because you do not approve.

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Posted by: I See No Tomorrow.7302

I See No Tomorrow.7302

While we should have more human-like options (with softer skin and fewer non-human facial features) I think that it’s a disservice to say:

Because aesthetically, each style of face is pleasing or displeasing to different people. Personally, I find the human-like faces to be too cliche, but neither type of face is less pleasing than another type. If they add more human-like faces I’d like them to add more bark/plant-like faces since I think too many of the current faces (especially for sylvari women) are human-like.

I’ll always support more customization for glows, but I don’t think they can change eye color customization like that at this point in the game’s development.

dsslive.8473

The shape of the face is wrong, the nose is completely different.

Hairstyle is different too.

In itself the art is okay, but the resemblance is just poor. It’s just concept art though.

well ye that’s my point, it’s concept art, its not gonna be 100% accurate

Posted by: TempestMoon.5403

TempestMoon.5403

I don’t mind the Sylvari as they are now. I just wish the face designs were done better, or there were more of them. When I make a Sylvari male there’s only 2 faces I would even consider, and only 1 on the females.

Posted by: SuperSpicyCurry.2415

SuperSpicyCurry.2415

There are already a ton of faces that look soft and very-humanlike. They just all have plant characteristics because they’re plants and that’s Anet’s vision for them. They specifically redesigned the race because they were too human, I can’t see them going back to that because someone really wants to play a generic wood elf. Heck, female sylvari only have like four faces that look even look like wood to begin with. And the hair you posted is available to players. Both of Caithe’s hairstyles are. I don’t think her face should be available to players, important NPCs should have things unique to them.

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

On the contrary, I thing most sylvari faces are too human. Please add more plant-like faces! I love them!

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Hot Boy.7138

On the contrary, I thing most sylvari faces are too human. Please add more plant-like faces! I love them!

Variety is the spice of life. I hope to see more faces of your taste and mine.

Posted by: videoboy.4162

videoboy.4162

Leaving a red flag like that will get you flame. Regardless of what one asks for, it’s not in good taste to claim one thing or another is universally aesthetically less pleasing than another.

It’ll only take flame if you take that single passage out-of-context with the rest of the post. The OP made it clear that he was expressing his personal opinion.

Asking for more variety doesn’t seem like a bad thing, in my opinion.

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

IMHO there is a limit too, where variety become flat thinking.

Would you like humans with more bark-like faces? I hope you don’t. Because it doesn’t really add anything to variety: its just stupid. The same goes the other way around: if you want human faces, you have a lot of them in the corresponding species.

Part of variety is actually having to make choices.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Tuomir.1830

It’ll only take flame if you take that single passage out-of-context with the rest of the post. The OP made it clear that he was expressing his personal opinion.

I could quote the whole thing and it wouldn’t change a thing – nowhere in the post, much less in the paragraph, was this stated as an opinion. It obviously is the OP’s personal opinion – the problem is that it wasn’t presented as such.

Hot Boy.7138

I could quote the whole thing and it wouldn’t change a thing – nowhere in the post, much less in the paragraph, was this stated as an opinion. It obviously is the OP’s personal opinion – the problem is that it wasn’t presented as such.

I don’t want to turn this thread to a negative direction. But I’m going to ask that you please use common sense and please do not nitpick about inconsequential details or lack thereof.

I thought I made it clear when I said, “I would like to see more human-like faces and less carved-wood style faces.”

Not to mention, it’s obvious that one person can’t say what looks good to everyone. If you wanted me to explicitly state, “this is my sole opinion.”, then you’re right, I didn’t explicitly state that.

Regardless, if these are my tastes, it stands that there are others who may like the same, and there are others who do not like the same.

There are a lot of carved-wood style faces, not many without deep carvings in them. Most, if not all, of the faces that has been released exclusively in the makeover kit has the style of carved-wood.

This is my character. She’s beautiful (to me). I would like to see more faces implemented that are more similar to this style than to that of wood that’s been carved out into facial features. This face to me is human-like while still keeping the exotic sylvari theme. Caithe has a similar face. The concept art also has a similar face.

Attachments:

Posted by: CandyHearts.6025

CandyHearts.6025

@HB your syl is lovely. What face are you using in your screenies?

Also I think Syl are beautiful as they are now. I do wish for more face variations. Some more planty, some minorly less. But never losing the feel of a true Syl. After all that’s what they are o.o!

Most importantly I wish for more skin / bark colors. I’d love to see different shades of violet. Yellows with orange or pink aftertones (instead of the yellow-green ones we have now). And I don’t know if I just missed it but celestial white would be amazing. ^-^

More glow colors would be fun. What I wouldn’t give for a spectrum effect of colors passing through my Syl’s glow areas of many color variants x3

But some of the “carved from wood” faces have amazing character. The detail in them is really fun and with the right person in character creation can be pretty amazing in game. ^^

Posted by: Hirosama Nadasaki.6792

Hirosama Nadasaki.6792

The thing with more variety is that it takes time and effort to implement, so the dev team has to decide if such variety options are worth spending resources.
Personally I think sylvari customization should go the other way, towards vegetation customization, specially hairstyles. There’s so many hairstyles that are just leaves set this way or that way, one branch style and a mushroom. There should be more flower influences, for instance I’d love to have the Pale Tree avatar hairstyle, or something similar. Hell, I’d settle for a venusaur in my head, they could also use fruits, carnivorous plants and etc.

Hot Boy.7138

Also I think Syl are beautiful as they are now. I do wish for more face variations. Some more planty, some minorly less. But never losing the feel of a true Syl. After all that’s what they are o.o!

Most importantly I wish for more skin / bark colors. I’d love to see different shades of violet. Yellows with orange or pink aftertones (instead of the yellow-green ones we have now). And I don’t know if I just missed it but celestial white would be amazing. ^-^

More glow colors would be fun. What I wouldn’t give for a spectrum effect of colors passing through my Syl’s glow areas of many color variants x3

But some of the “carved from wood” faces have amazing character. The detail in them is really fun and with the right person in character creation can be pretty amazing in game. ^^

Thank you for the compliment.

I would love to see everything you said come to fruition. A celestial skin tone would be amazing.

I never thought of it before but you’re right about aftertones. My sylvari has a sorta pinkish aftertone, but more choices would be wonderful.

The year before this game was released, I was 100% sure I would make a human. During beta, I decided to make a sylvari out of boredom and I instantly fell in love with the amount of color options for skin, hair, and I geeked out over the glow.

That customization is what drew me to sylvari, and it’s definitely the most attractive race (in my eyes) for that reason. I would love if they expanded on that beauty with more options for us to choose from while still keeping the cultural flavor and theme of Sylvari.

Posted by: Zev.3407

Zev.3407

I do wish there was a more human looking male face that didnt have built in “facial hair”

i plan on making my rev with the light pink skin color lol, from far away they look human.

and sylvari have awesome hair colors and their skin glows, i mean that’s like the best thing ever

Posted by: CandyHearts.6025

CandyHearts.6025

Thank you for the compliment.

I would love to see everything you said come to fruition. A celestial skin tone would be amazing.

I never thought of it before but you’re right about aftertones. My sylvari has a sorta pinkish aftertone, but more choices would be wonderful.

The year before this game was released, I was 100% sure I would make a human. During beta, I decided to make a sylvari out of boredom and I instantly fell in love with the amount of color options for skin, hair, and I geeked out over the glow.

That customization is what drew me to sylvari, and it’s definitely the most attractive race (in my eyes) for that reason. I would love if they expanded on that beauty with more options for us to choose from while still keeping the cultural flavor and theme of Sylvari.

So we had the same beta experience! I made one just for fun. Now I’m changing over from all human to all Sylvari. The story is by far the best!

The aftertones are usually my deal breaker when it concerns the bark / skin color. I love leafy green “hair” but when it comes to skin I don’t like the harshness of the green paired with a yellow base. Some variations of each skin color where green base could be paired with blue or violet. Or blue base with green. The list goes on and on. Those small details make a big difference to me. ^^

There is so much they could do with Syl’s customization just in colors alone. I am feeling that they will be adding a bit of stuff with HoT though. But even if they don’t I am so content with what I have now. All my humans had the same face so finding 1 face I love for Syl is just as good. xD

I like the 2nd face over for my Syl. Though when I bought a kit I adored the one with white speckled like texture on the face. It was adorable too!

Posted by: videoboy.4162

videoboy.4162

The second sentence makes it abundantly clear that he was presenting his personal thoughts.

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

Seems to me there’s a pretty even mix of wood faced and leaf faced options for female Sylvari, but perhaps some of what I’m seeing as leaf / flower you see as wood?

Hot Boy.7138

I took the liberty of making a collage of all the exclusive faces that has been released since the game launched.

All of these faces have pronounced carvings in their face. There isn’t much variety here with the new faces since launch. The female faces’ carvings have a more curvature design to them compared to the males, which is a nice way to differentiate between the two genders.

There is more variety in the faces in original set available without the makeover kit. You see a gradual difference in faces from very deeply carved, to somewhat carved, to not much carvings.

In terms of the female faces, I do believe the center one to be the most aesthetically pleasing (to me) out of the bunch because it has freckles despite the deep carvings in the center of the face. Also, I don’t like that the width of the mouth extends noticeable further than where the lips end .

Out of these exclusive male faces, I personally would not choose any of them and would have no reason to ever use a total makeover kit on a male Sylvari. The originals are more attractive imo because there is more variety among them in terms of quantity an depth of the carvings, as with the female faces.

I would like to see faces with much less pronounced carvings.
I would like to see more faces with freckles.
I don’t want to see faces with carvings removed, because there are lots of people who do like them.

Attachments:

Posted by: WindGodGirl.6405

WindGodGirl.6405

Ah, I see.

Well, while I can’t really say that I just want more ‘human-ish’ faces, I’m sure there’s a middle ground here somewhere. The carvings are pretty necessary since Sylvari lack hair – and by extension, eyebrows.

So you want a bare minimum of carvings or just…Maybe like fronds for eyebrows maybe?

Hot Boy.7138

Ah, I see.

Well, while I can’t really say that I just want more ‘human-ish’ faces, I’m sure there’s a middle ground here somewhere. The carvings are pretty necessary since Sylvari lack hair – and by extension, eyebrows.

So you want a bare minimum of carvings or just…Maybe like fronds for eyebrows maybe?

I do like the eyebrow carvings because it does create a more human-like face. I don’t like the absence of features like eyesbrows and nose.

I would like more faces similar to that of my own Sylvari character, Caithe as she appears in game, and the young Caithe’s face as she appears in the concept art. I’ll include some pics I posted earlier so you can see what I mean.

If you notice even my face has some carvings for the eyebrows and for the glow pattern, but they’re not deep carvings. They’re thin and shallow, and aren’t covering huge areas of the face.

Attachments:

Posted by: Comus.7365

Comus.7365

i’ve been thinking the exact same thing.

Hot Boy.7138

From my perspective, they’ve added nothing but (plant-like) wood-carved faces as you can see in the collage I’ve made of all the exclusive faces available in the makeover kit.

I believe more options for character customization to players is always a good thing in any MMO. So I would like for you to get more plant like faces that you like, but at the same time I would love to be able to get more of the faces that I love.

I’ll post a pic of the collage again so you can see in one photo all the faces that have been released. There isn’t much of a variety in them compared to the original set of faces in respect to style, quantity of the carvings in the face, and the depth of those carvings.

Attachments:

(edited by Hot Boy.7138)

Posted by: makagoto.1204

makagoto.1204

we need a slider to make them look more/less like a human, problem solved. I prefer my sylvaris to look more like plants than humans too.

Posted by: Comus.7365

Comus.7365

From my perspective, they’ve added nothing but (plant-like) wood-carved faces as you can see in the collage I’ve made of all the exclusive faces available in the makeover kit.

I believe more options for character customization to players is always a good thing in any MMO. So I would like for you to get more plant like faces that you like, but at the same time I would love to be able to get more of the faces that I love.

I’ll post a pic of the collage again so you can see in one photo all the faces that have been released. There isn’t much of a variety in them compared to the original set of faces in respect to style, quantity of the carvings in the face, and the depth of those carvings.

more options couldn’t hurt i guess.. the pics you linked looks way too human or doll like for my taste.. i think what you are after are elves and not plant people. but i doubt you are alone most people seem to be more comfortable the more human their characters look.

Tuomir.1830

The second sentence makes it abundantly clear that he was presenting his personal thoughts.

I would disagree with that – stating that one wants something doesn’t mean the following reasoning for wanting it is an opinion. You can easily base your desire for something on facts – and as such, a distinction is to be called for.

That aside, I’ve got nothing against more character creation options – I just wish that sylvari will remain distinct enough from humans. Also, the OP indirectly insulted the face of my main. I do not appreciate. Blame me for a negative response if you’d like to, I call it justified.

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

I’d in fact like less"humanized" faces, more akin to Mordrem for HoT.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

Seb.7453

A few more of the somewhat human like options like the ones that are already selectable wouldn’t hurt I guess.

They should still be recognizably sylvari though.

Not just a human face painted green.

Posted by: Mordeus.1234

Mordeus.1234

I want a cyclops Sylvari face so I can make a one eyed mushroom avatar. Or better yet a Sylvari face with multiple eyes like a spider. Or a Sylvari with no eyes.

If not… then I could also accept a Sylvari face with no mouth.